PDA

View Full Version : How many Collector's open...

Warped
02-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Hello, I'm new here. So I open almost everything I get, I'm the type that likes to enjoy the item I'm collecting and I would like to know how many other people do the same. If this ip posted in the wrong post let me know. Thank You.

bobafrett
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Most of my collection remains boxed/carded including ships, figures, Titanium ships, Pez dispensers. The only time I will open items is if they are doubles, or if I but them on clearance, and the box/card is badly damaged. The stuff I have opened, I have lost weapons, and other small parts.

I do open my Gentle Giant busts. I also opened the Big Falcon, because I 1) got it for $50, and 2) it's just to big to keep in a box. I also open Lego items, and build them to display.

Outer Rims Jedi
02-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I open everything...I've thought about keeping things boxed/in package, but I already don't have enough room for my loose figures and ships. I recently found a model/craft store (I customize) where I moved and they have a decent selection of old figures (red and green card backs) at a decent price. I might see if I can find the first release when hasbro revamped the franchise and keep those in package but that would be it. I'm like you warped...I like to enjoy them.

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 05:11 PM
If something in my collection isn't open, it's only because I'm waiting for somewhere to display it. :) I plan to set up rotating displays of Joes, Transformers, and SW soon, and will open everything, since opened toys take up less space than boxed/carded ones.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I've opened most of my basic carded figures now. Most of my battle packs and other multipacks are still unopened. They look good in the package, and since I usually keep the packaging, opening those wouldn't save me any space. With carded figures, I throw away the bubble and all of the cards don't take up a lot of space. Battle packs often have nice looking backgrounds that would get flattened if I were to try and condense those.

I've really freed up a lot of space as I opened up figures. Vehicles seem best to keep boxed in terms of space. I would have no place to set the BMF, so it remains in the box.

JediTricks
02-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Welcome aboard, new guys! :)

I open everything, even if I'm not putting it up right away. I want to experience each figure I get, enjoy all the sculpting and articulation. I think it's the best way to collect them. Plus, no surprises down the road from stuck or busted joints.

I used to collect the packaging, but it took up too much of my limited space, so now I throw it all out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I open everything, aside from a few "special" figures (silver figures, stormtrooper Lucas, extra convention figures) that look nice on the cards and I have no use for in a loose collection. Otherwise, I prefer to set them up in dioramas, as I think that looks more interesting than walls full of carded products (though that still looks cool as well, but it's just not for me).

DarkJedi5
02-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I open everything as well. Recently the figures have been getting so good that you really miss out on a lot (articulation, removable helmets, little accessories) if you leave it carded. I probably open because I used to open and play with stuff as a kid and my collection has grown out of that, so naturally there was never a good place to stop opening and start collecting carded, but I'm very happy with the way I collect!

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I open everything, aside from a few "special" figures (silver figures, stormtrooper Lucas, extra convention figures) that look nice on the cards and I have no use for in a loose collection.

I should clarify that I've got a few like JJL. I sorta wish it had been possible to get extras of some figures, like Pimp Daddy Destro and Springfield Rally Cobra Commander from the Joe line, because it'd be nice to have some loose versions of some of these.

Ando
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
If something in my collection isn't open, it's only because I'm waiting for somewhere to display it.

Ditto for me. Toys are for playing (and displaying). Although I did give away one of my still boxed TRU exclusive ARC-170's to a very happy 6 year old for his birthday.

InsaneJediGirl
02-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I open up everything except for the those "special" figures as mentioned.

I rarely buy anything now though...and books come already opened, so not a problem :)

Ji'dai
02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
I open everything so long as I'm happy with the figure's paint job. Occasionally I'll buy duplicate(s) of a figure I really like to keep carded or to just hoard them.

I toss the plastic bubbles but keep the rest of the packaging.

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I used to keep the packaging, up until Hasbro did that auction thing that basically invalidated years worth of Jedi Points, then started making packages that have to be totally mangled to open. I've still got a bunch of old boxes, but I toss everything now. I even toss Transformers instructions, since they're all available online. (God knows the last few years worth of TF's aren't like the ones when we were kids, that could actually be figured out.)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
The only packages that I really mangle when opening are the Titanium Series. I pretty much did that with the first one, so I tossed all those. Cutting out the UPC wasn't too big of a deal except that on most of the POTJ figures, it was the only way to identify what figure had come in the package. However, on the back they have pictures of several different figures in the POTJ line, so I put a piece of tape over the appropriate figure to identify it.

pbarnard
02-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Open and recycle the contents I can!

Old Fossil
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I open everything except:

1. Concept Art figures. Often, without the card art and description, the casual viewer would have little or no idea what the figure is supposed to be. I like that original concept art is featured on the cards, as well. I dig McQuarrie's vision.

2. Neo-vintage, including VOTC, VTSC, and VTAC, as well as the upcoming Vintage assortment. I love the look of vintage cardbacks, and they display very well. Also I like the nostalgia of the vintage style, as I remember when they were for sale nearly everywhere, making me OLD.:tired:

I have two boxes of carded and cased POTF2 figures put away, relics of an age when I thought it was cool to keep carded figures just for the sake of having carded figures, and I used boorish terms like MOC and MOMC and MIB, etc.:rolleyes: The figures are obsolete and the card art is not particularly attractive. I plan on giving them away to a deserving kid someday... all but the MOC orange carded Vader (long saber).lol

DarthQuack
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
All of my stuff is still in packages in totes in my Dad's attic.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I open everything except:

1. Concept Art figures. Often, without the card art and description, the casual viewer would have little or no idea what the figure is supposed to be. I like that original concept art is featured on the cards, as well. I dig McQuarrie's vision.

2. Neo-vintage, including VOTC, VTSC, and VTAC, as well as the upcoming Vintage assortment. I love the look of vintage cardbacks, and they display very well. Also I like the nostalgia of the vintage style, as I remember when they were for sale nearly everywhere, making me OLD.:tired:
I also got extras of all the VOTC, VTSC and VTAC figures, as well as the TAC McQuarrie figures (including the exclusives). I didn't bother to get an extra Legacy Concept Anakin or Ki-Adi-Mundi though. Most of my other carded figures are duplicates. I do have a complete carded OTC set as well.

bigbarada
02-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm an opener first and foremost; but occasionally I buy doubles of certain characters to keep them carded. By "occasionally" I mean less than 5 figures per year.

The only real exception is when we get the vintage-style assortments and then I buy two of each figure, one to open, one to keep carded.

So I foresee a lot of duplicate figure purchases this year.

Also, I'll sometimes splurge on MOC vintage figures. Sometimes on beater cards, so I can open them. It's the best way to guarantee that you are getting a "like new" loose figure with all original accessories. However, there are a handful of figures that I want carded examples of as well as loose.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Keep the packaging? All except the plastic backings, twist and ties. Open 'em all up, as long as they were bought at retail price (or close to it).

Warped
02-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I have very few things that are still closed, I may keep a multi box set closed only cause I like the way it looks. I save all rubber bands so that I can secure the items that comes with the figures (helmets to their arms, guns to the backs).

scooter71
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
i open everything i get the exception being the mcquarrie concept figures and clone wars figures.the reality is that while keeping the figures mint in package seems like a good idea,these figures(most anyway)will never be worth anything near the money that the original kenner figures are. i'm 39 and i love the challenge of displaying my figures in interesting ways and not simply standing them up on a shelf.:thumbsup:

Warped
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I open everything so long as I'm happy with the figure's paint job. Occasionally I'll buy duplicate(s) of a figure I really like to keep carded or to just hoard them.

I toss the plastic bubbles but keep the rest of the packaging.

I will buy duplicate's if the figure is wearing a helmet and he looks cool, one to display with helmet on and one with it off, or like the battle damage Vader.

Darth Jax
02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
most of my collection is still carded. it will be opened at some point. but not until i'm able to display it all. space is the limiting factor currently.

Ji'dai
02-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I will buy duplicate's if the figure is wearing a helmet and he looks cool, one to display with helmet on and one with it off, or like the battle damage Vader. Yeah, I do that as well. I have three TAC Tycho Celchu's on display with the other ROTJ pilots - helmet on, helmet under arm, and the last with that headpad thing on. I paid full price for the first one, then got the other two on clearance.

Also have two McQuarrie Vaders and Fetts on display with alternate helmets on each too.

DarkArtist
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm a mixed collector...in the beginning I was buying doubles of certain figures to keep carded and open...now I open everything and only keep rare figures carded ie Convention exclusives, McQuarrie / Concept Figures.

I believe that first and foremost these are toys and are meant to be played with... i'm in the process of creating several scenes to showcase my collection.

sonofsokol
02-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I only have 1 figure that I have kept in the packaging and it is a Darth Revan that my wife surprised me with a couple Christmases ago. She watched me spend hours playing Knights of the Old Republic and even started playing it herself a little bit. I keep it on a shelf with a bunch of other figures. Not a month goes by that my 4 year old doesn't ask when we are going to open up "that cool sith guy?"

I guess I've left it on the card because it was the first time my wife bought me a Star Wars figure as a gift. I've gotten plenty of other Star Wars stuff from her, but usually I am standing next to her at the check out station after I've picked it out. With Revan, she did it all on her own.:love:

She often remarks that the only Star Wars figure that I never play with is the only one she bought me.:rolleyes:

Warped
02-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Now thats funny.

clone157
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Make sure to let her know how much you treasure it. As for me, I am one to open everything within a month of purchase. I often have to wonder if my hunting habits are better than my ability to make money, so I have to wait and see what I may have to return to make it till I make more. I do have a few pieces that I have waited on, like my Shadow Scout with Speeder Bike. the majority though, is on display in my limited diorama capacity.

clone157
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh, by the way, I do keep twist ties as they make great webs for my Spider-men.

TeeEye7
02-11-2010, 04:18 AM
I guess I've left it on the card because it was the first time my wife bought me a Star Wars figure as a gift. I've gotten plenty of other Star Wars stuff from her, but usually I am standing next to her at the check out station after I've picked it out. With Revan, she did it all on her own.:love:

Wives are funny. One day my wife came home with a "Brown Vest Luke", totally by accident. When I told her that some collectors would die for that figure, she joined in on the collecting end of things with my son and me. She couldn't have cared less up until then.

sonofsokol
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Make sure to let her know how much you treasure it.

So last night I was telling me wife about this thread and she read my post where I told the story. Much to my surprise, she didn't realize how much the figure means to me. She thought I kept Reven in the package cause he was valuable that the other figures. She also told me that it would mean more to her if I opened it and enjoyed it with our Star-Wars-crazed son.

So this weekend I am going to make my wife and my little boy very happy by finally opening up Darth Revan, "the cool Sith guy." :D

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
My wife hates the money and the space most of my stuff takes up. She's happier because I'm way down this year compared to other years, but that still doesn't explain why she wants my ComicCon Cobra Commander, Yoda with Kybuck, Vintage Yoda, and Jack Bauer custom figure I made for herself.

She'd freak if I kept things carded, although she doesn't open anything like DVDs and CDs she herself buys. Says in China that is the ultimate respect/show of treasuring it. You just want to have it, but never touch it which makes no sense to me.

Darth Metalmute
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Gotta love the misses! I did the same thing with my 12" Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike. I looked and looked all over for that thing. I had pretty much given up on the idea of getting one when she surprised me with it one day when I came home from work. The box was damaged and corner was torn, but I kept it in the box.
Turns out the item wasn't that rare and I picked up 4 more and sold them, but I still have the damaged one she bought.

As for the topic, I used to have everything 3.5" and 12" related in their original boxes. All the figures, all the vehicles, all the playsets. On top of this, Every figure that I thought was cool, I would buy an extra of an open. I even army built. My home office (second floor) was filled with boxes full of stuff. When my wife decided to have a second kid, everything 3.5" that was boxed had to go. I sold it all off, except for exclusive carded figures and the Slave I with Boba Fett Target exclusive. Now I just pick up figures and vehicles that I would normally open.

I've been talking about selling the Hasbro 12" off for awhile now, but lack the willpower, engery, and time to do so. But eventually I will because I need the shelf space for Lego displays.

UKWildcat
02-11-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd say 99% of my stuff is unopened.

I really need to start selling it off as I got out of collecting years ago. I did have an excel file cataloging every piece in my collection, but it is out of date - I have since purchased and sold many items (mainly sold). I just don't have the desire, or the time, to go through all my stuff and update it, let alone sell it. Maybe one day...