PDA

View Full Version : How action figures are made

Darth Rage
02-27-2002, 06:26 AM
Hello everybody, I'm not sure if I already posted this here, but wherever I posted this, I got no response :mad:

Well anyways, does anybody know here where I can find information on how action figures are made? Whate does the factories look like, how the figures are painted etc etc...

Im curious, I know they're made in china somewhere with low paid workers but im very interested..!

Take Care

Jargo
02-27-2002, 06:42 AM
This is one of my beefs with the Hasbro website. It's all very well putting pics of the finished figures up for us all to go gaga over but some of us are interested in more than the finished product. I'd like to see a virtual tour of the whole process. from initial design through the preliminary sculpting to the factory processes and all the compromises in between to do with costing a figure and the technical limitations of making something from somebody's head a real item, solid in the hand.
If I knew how they went about creating the figures I mifght not whinge so much about bad quality. If I knew for example, that a certain figure couldn't have certain articulation beacause they couldn't mold it into that figure due to size then I'd be more likely to accept the fact that it doesn't have wrist articulation.
I just want to see more of the reasoning behind the creation process. And i see the website as the place to do that. They know most of their logged in members are adult collectors so they should at least try to aknowledge that fact with more than fluff and wallpaper. I liked certain things they'd already done like the 3D rotational animations of the figures but so what if they look good, how did they make it and why in that pose? Why with that weapon that the character never used in the movie? Why with no removable helmet? ETC.........

The drawings we saw rcently of the Ephant Mon figure were great and they could have gone much further with that idea. I guess they don't to avoid percieved industrial espionage and bootlegging but who's going to bother? All the other companies who count have their own in house styles and scales that they work to. The only people likely to bootleg are going to produce crap facsimiles which will be so easy to spot a four year old could tell a fake a mile off.

More info please Hasbro. And highly detailed not just some powerpoint infomercial. Let's see the nuts and bolts of the process.

And thank you for noticing that this is my 1138th post. Marking a brief return. "I'll be back..." :)

Admiral LSD
02-27-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rage
they're made in china somewhere with low paid workers

This is why they don't tell you, duh! :p

derek
02-27-2002, 09:03 AM
here are a couple of links that show toy factories in production.

www.drastic.com/section.php?sid=117

www.npt.com

the first link is for a company called drastic plastic. they make high end 1/6 scale figures. their first series is the "Leaders of WW2", including adolph hitler, franklin roosevelt and joseph stalin. click on the links to the left to see the production process.

the second link is of a company called "Near Point Toys". they manufacture toys for numerous companies and have several photos of their production process.

Darth Rage
02-28-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
This is one of my beefs with the Hasbro website. It's all very well putting pics of the finished figures up for us all to go gaga over but some of us are interested in more than the finished product. I'd like to see a virtual tour of the whole process. from initial design through the preliminary sculpting to the factory processes and all the compromises in between to do with costing a figure and the technical limitations of making something from somebody's head a real item, solid in the hand.
If I knew how they went about creating the figures I mifght not whinge so much about bad quality. If I knew for example, that a certain figure couldn't have certain articulation beacause they couldn't mold it into that figure due to size then I'd be more likely to accept the fact that it doesn't have wrist articulation.
I just want to see more of the reasoning behind the creation process. And i see the website as the place to do that. They know most of their logged in members are adult collectors so they should at least try to aknowledge that fact with more than fluff and wallpaper. I liked certain things they'd already done like the 3D rotational animations of the figures but so what if they look good, how did they make it and why in that pose? Why with that weapon that the character never used in the movie? Why with no removable helmet? ETC.........

The drawings we saw rcently of the Ephant Mon figure were great and they could have gone much further with that idea. I guess they don't to avoid percieved industrial espionage and bootlegging but who's going to bother? All the other companies who count have their own in house styles and scales that they work to. The only people likely to bootleg are going to produce crap facsimiles which will be so easy to spot a four year old could tell a fake a mile off.

More info please Hasbro. And highly detailed not just some powerpoint infomercial. Let's see the nuts and bolts of the process.

And thank you for noticing that this is my 1138th post. Marking a brief return. "I'll be back..." :)

AMEN BROTHER!

Darth Rage
02-28-2002, 05:06 AM
Thank you very much Derek, the factories SEEMS very sterile and well organized.

I found finger prints in paint on my sith droid, the one that comes with the shirtless darth maul though. I kinda think of it as the marks of the artist :D

jeddah
02-28-2002, 05:59 AM
Slightly OT, but that reminds me of what I do before I finalise a CD. Once Iíve mixed and recorded the track to CD (as audio), Before I send to my Manager, I press my thumb into it and then put it back into the CD-R to finalise it (so other CD players can play it). This burns my thumbprint into the blue cel and I like to think of it as instant copyright :evil: not that I donít trust my manager or anything.

jeddah
BTW: I can't WAIT to get that shirtless maul. I've been waiting for it to hit the UK for aeons.