PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Super Jawa Sandcrawler From ANH If Hasbro Made One?

Tycho
02-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case a new large scale size Jawa sandcrawler from ANH).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a large scale Jawa sandcrawler vehicle from ANH?

This playset / vehicle would cost at least $100, and I think it would have to be even a little bit larger than the Turbotank (though they could pull it off at around that size anyway).

Features would include a control room, the suction chute that R2-D2 gets pulled up, doors with stairs that fold down, definitely a removeable side pannel so you can access the interior.

The "droid factory playset" that Hasbro has been mulling over could actually be featured INSIDE of this beast! Yeah, I know that they are looking at Episode Two for the droid factory's inspiration (and I'd buy a droid factory from AOTC Hasbro) but making it inside a large sandcrawler would be far easier!

The machine might include all the recent B-A-D parts in storage place holders inside the vehicle.

It would have electronics that light up the cockpit and some of the interior. Maybe sound-effects aren't necessarily, but some droid noises (Gonk!Gonk!) and Jawa-jabber could be appropriate.

A new E4 Uncle Owen figure as a pack-in might be very appropriate and an awesome way to get him, too!

I think the treads should actually roll, but they don't have to be electronic or remote-controlled. However, bringing back that original KENNER concept would be cool anyway (though it would add more cost to the vehicle).

Do you want this made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Do you want to see support for this vehicle demonstrated by inclusion in The Clone Wars Annimated Series?

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM
What are the dimensions you're envisioning? If they were to rerelease the old severely underscaled Sand Crawler, you'd probably be at the ~100 price point to begin with.

I'd have to think hard if it was 12-18 inches tall and 6-8 inches wide and no clue on length, but would probably pass in the end. Clearancing it out, maybe, but still I don't think I could pull the trigger unless my kid gets big into Star Wars so we could "share".

El Chuxter
02-11-2010, 09:20 AM
If I could afford it, yes. Jawas > all else in Star Wars. Except maybe Teek.

JEDIpartner
02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
I probably would if they made it a bit "droid factory" compatible. It would be the perfect environment in which to house such a play feature.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
nope sure wouldn't. It would be cool...

DarkArtist
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
i missed out on both the vintage and recent issues of the Sandcrawler (although I had the chance a few years ago of getting one on clearence)... so I would seriously consider it.

i would definately want a larger version of the vehicle with various droid parts and perhaps parts to build some new droids as well, the pack in Uncle Owen figure would be neat and the idea of electronics would rock...love to hear Jawa speak.

i'd vote yes for this vehicle.

gba88
02-11-2010, 10:48 AM
yes for sure... lights and a droid bay and under 200.

sonofsokol
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I would love a Super Sandcrawler. I would definitely buy one and can see it being very popular with kids even though it is not shown as a battle vehicle in the movies. Kids will play with it as a battle vehicle either way.

My thoughts on it:
Until the announcement of the BAT-AT we haven't had a new large scale "bad guy" ship/vehicle to go against the Turbo Tank and AT-TE. My 4-year-old comments on this ALL the time. He says it’s unfair that the bad guys don't have a big tank. He lines his Jawas up on the bad guy side of all his battles so he would see it as the bad guy's response to the Turbo Tank and he would use it as such.

Based on this I would want to see it with at least one side that folds down and has pegs for figures to stand on like the Turbo Tank. They could split the side in half and have the top half fold up and the bottom half fold down kind of like we've seen on the leaked BAT-AT images. I’d also like to see at least 2 levels on the inside. I can see guys lined up all other the top and inside this thing. It doesn't even have to shoot anything; I see it more as a portable play set, which the Turbo Tank and AT-TE really are anyway.

The treads could be mini versions of the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid's functioning treads. There could be a flip up cockpit so figures could drive. Electronic sounds of Jawa jibber-jabber would be awesome.

Incorporating a droid factory into would be really amazing, but I would just love to see one in the $100 price range and on the same scale as the AT-TE and Turbo Tank.

Dang, I just got myself really excited…

Darth Metalmute
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Eh. I don't believe I would. The B-A-D parts would be a plus, however I would hope that Hasbro develops a "Box-O-Parts" bucket first. I don't believe that Hasbro would ever be able to create a Sandcrawler worth making, and if they did, it wouldn't sell. It's basically a droid carrying case on wheels.

Tycho
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
My thoughts on it:
Until the announcement of the BAT-AT we haven't had a new large scale "bad guy" ship/vehicle to go against the Turbo Tank and AT-TE.

I polled for the Trade Federation's MTT for the Battledroids and it won by a safe margin here.

Since it's a war vehicle, the MTT would be perfect for that role, but the super-sandcrawler would also be a lot of fun.

DarkJedi5
02-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Even without a new Owen, I'd be down. I have always admired the Sandcrawler from a few years ago but always found it too small to justify the price tag (especially on the secondary market). However if they could make it something like the Turbotank on treads (but maybe like two stories) that would be awesome! Opening panels is a must, and the front ramp would need to lower like the action fleet one did. A suction tube that could hide an astrodroid would be imperative (though I don't know if it would actually be able to "suck" one up, maybe just a string to pull it in), access to the cockpit with room for two jawas and the droid workshop and storage area (as soon as I saw the thread I was already thinking just like Tycho that this would be a great place to stick that droid factory concept Hasbro keeps talking about) are all features I would love to see. I'm not a huge fan of lights and sounds (mostly cause I don't leave batteries in these things so leaking acid doesn't destroy the electronics over time) and there isn't much the Sandcrawler would need in that department anyway. And on top of all that, it's the perfect home for all those spare BaD parts that I've got just laying around.

Snowtrooper
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd definitely be in for a supersized sandcrawler. I have the OTC release and while its nice, you can't store very much in there because of the size. A big sandcrawler would be great for collectors, but I don't know how much kids would be excited by it. You never know. Its sometimes surprising what kids do and don't like.

Ji'dai
02-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I would seriously consider a larger Jawa Sandcrawler if it had all those features Tycho mentioned in the first post. I have both the vintage version and the modern OTC release so a new Sandcrawler would have to be completely redesigned before I'd commit.

bigbarada
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes, I would buy this. Working treads would be a must.

jamesbondo07
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I haven't purchased a vintage or OTC sandcrawler so I would definitly buy a large Sandcrawler. This is definitly toward the top of my list of vehicles I want redone.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm fine with the OTC one. Not a whole lot happens inside the sandcrawler and it's not "aggressive" so I can't imagine what they'd put in it if they revisited it.

El Chuxter
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd buy six of them, to thank Hasbro for the Teek figure.

Okay, not really. But they should include Teek in Jawa disguise. Now that they have the sculpt, they should include a pack-in with each forthcoming figure of Teek disguised as that character. (Teek disguised as Slave Leia would be amusing.)

Warped
02-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Hell ya, I have wanted one forever. Seeing I paid $160 for the new falcon, and $100 for the At-At, I would pay for that. It would be nice to see a limit droid with it to.

Devo
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
This would be bought by me. That silly little fish 'n chips van from OTC just doesn't cut it. A definite purchase if it was as Tycho described.

Droid
02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes. Yes. Yes.

morpheus282
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd be on it like Michael Jackson on a fifth grader.

Features would include a control room, the suction chute that R2-D2 gets pulled up, doors with stairs that fold down, definitely a removeable side pannel so you can access the interior.

Sounds perfect to me.

The machine might include all the recent B-A-D parts in storage place holders inside the vehicle.

I'd rather have the parts rolling freely around the cargo area. It would seem more realistic.

It would have electronics that light up the cockpit and some of the interior. Maybe sound-effects aren't necessarily, but some droid noises (Gonk!Gonk!) and Jawa-jabber could be appropriate.

That would be great!

A new E4 Uncle Owen figure as a pack-in might be very appropriate and an awesome way to get him, too!

It would be nice, but wouldn't make or break the sale for me.

I think the treads should actually roll, but they don't have to be electronic or remote-controlled. However, bringing back that original KENNER concept would be cool anyway (though it would add more cost to the vehicle).

Rolling treads or at least wheels hidden by the treads would be great.

TheDarthVader
02-12-2010, 12:09 AM
I am 100% in for this one. I do not care if it was $299. GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

agentorange1976
02-12-2010, 10:27 PM
This is high on my wish list. I never got the OTC one though it was tempting. Even a modest size increase, with some of the other improvements being discussed here, would make a big difference in desirability.

D

Outer Rims Jedi
02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I have never been able to justify the OTC one due to the size. If it were made in a larger size with even half the features discussed on here I would be all for it. Plus it would save me the time of building one myself (I have so many droid parts that I have made to look gritty and sandy that I plan on putting in a jabba diorama in the droid torture room and a sandcrawler...so yeah I would get one as I have pieces that I have purposely made to go there.)

Darth Jax
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
no at full price. if i ever saw it on sale or clearance that portion of my brain that screams it's star wars you MUST buy it would probably overwhelm conscious control and i'd pick it up.

honestly the only reason i see for updating the sandcrawler is for the playset aspects of it. it's a big trapezoid on wheels (and has no weapons for hasbro to turn into launching missiles) which does nothing but move slowly across the desert.

Blue2th
02-16-2010, 12:58 AM
I think it could be RC. If 21st Century Toys could make a 1:18 or 3.75 scale remote control Panzer tank with rolling treads, backwards, forwards, moving turret, and sounds, then Hasbro could do a Sandcrawler with 2 sets of independently controllable treads. You could even move sideways.

An RC Sandcrawler would probably be expensive though with larger tread assembly compared to a 1:18 tank if they made a bigger one, but most Star Wars vehicles have not been accurate to scale anyways.

Then you would basically have the same vehicle as in the movie, only just a little more toy like, and be able to put figures in it.

Anybody ever made a custom one with moving tank treads?

If not RC then definitely with moving and steerable treads. If toy tanks can be made that way then Hasbro shouldn't skimp on that important detail IMO.
I don't care for the molded treads with the wheels behind them like the HISS tank and the Sandcrawler... even though I have them both.

Tycho
03-09-2010, 04:56 AM
ANH provides yet another winner. The Super Sandcrawler is demanded by SSG voters 20-4 (I counted myself as one "yes vote," too)

I'd say there isn't a margin for doubt here. Hasbro should roll with this one for sure!

The next ANH poll is in the new Vintage Collection Section.

JediTricks
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
No. This won't work on any level. If it's big enough, it'd be too expensive. If it's smaller, it won't be popular. It'd never sell enough to justify the tooling expense, so it'd be a money-loser. It doesn't actually DO anything aside from crawl sand. It's a big, boring set piece as far as toys go, it's a non-starter. If the Hasbro SW team were to put this into production, they'd be immediately fired.

Maerj2000
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I'd buy one for sure, I'd love to have one.

If they would feature one in the Clone Wars maybe they'll consider it. They could have one hijacked by pirates or something and can add some cannons or something to it. The toys guns would be removeable, of course. It could be some characters mobile base, who knows? Even though its not the ultimate weapon of destrucion maybe kids could use their imaginations with it and discover some play value with a behemoth like this.

I recall using an ottoman as a Sandcrawler and old wine corks with faces drawn on them as Jawas and other figures when I was a kid. It sucked not to have the toys out right away so I had to improvise, lol.

Tycho
01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
The Super Jawa Sandcrawler looks like it may be revealed at Toy Fair or Comic Con! (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Rumor_Report_The_Vintage_Collection_136054.asp)

OK - we may be getting our wish. I hope it comes chuck-full-of-BAD-parts, too!

morpheus282
01-19-2011, 11:19 PM
That would be wicked cool!

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I am more excited about the speeder bike and tantaun new scuplts.

Tauntaunt
01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
yes i would buy a BMF Sandcrawler.:thumbsup:

DarkJedi5
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I am more excited about the speeder bike and tantaun new scuplts.

Right there with you Metalmute. Contrary to my previously posted sentiments, I did eventually cave and buy the old Sandcrawler (though, it was a lot cheaper than I had seen them before) and so I don't feel the burning need for a new one as much as I did before. Though, that's not to say I wouldn't buy it.

DarthBrandon
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes I would.

Neuroleptic
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
If I had the money? Yes. Deffinetly hands down I would buy it, even over my wife screaming at the cost and knowing I have absolutly NOWHERE to put it after squeezing the AT-AT into my collection that I got unexpectedly for X-mass from my parents.

I can't help but wonder if they got it just to **** her off, now that I think about it . . .

Maerj2000
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
YES!!! :thumbsup: I would like to purchase a BMF Sandcrawler. Thank you, Hasbro.

morpheus282
01-20-2011, 07:30 PM

Ditto, but only because they would be significantly cheaper and more affordable. With my luck the tauntaun would be impossibly hard to find in these parts.

Darth Metalmute
01-21-2011, 08:36 AM
With our luck, it would be AOTC and Clone Wars version of the speeder bike.:rolleyes:

Get yourself the all-new iconic speeder bike..... with clone troopers!

Droid
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I would buy it. A resculpted skiff and the sail barge are the only other vehicles besides a big sandcrawler I would consider buying still.

I don't think they'll make it though. The last sandcrawler wasn't a great seller; it was clearanced in places. It isn't a vehicle big in the Clone Wars cartoon. I don't think most people recognize it that aren't fans. It isn't aggressive. I just can't believe they'll ever make it.

Maradona
01-21-2011, 02:11 PM
In principle, yes. But I won't commit to buying it sight unseen. If it opened into a droid factory or Jabba's dungeon droid torture chamber, purchasing it would be assured at the high price point. If all it had was a hollow shell, I can't seeing paying such a full price for it and would cruise for clearances on it. I tend to buy one of each BIG vehicle at near full price and then, if necessary, multiples at cleared out pricing.

jonthejedi
01-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Abso-yes! I also loved the purchase of the droids scene & the Diamond exc. version just don't cut it in a diarama.

Sean the Hutt
02-05-2011, 05:42 AM
yes, lets get these obvious things out of the way. Don't get me started on a death star...jeez just up the scale of the old one a bit. that would be cool. My problem with the sand crawler is Hasbro would still make the scale too small. I would still buy it though.

TheDarthVader
02-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I would be down for a new death star anything!

obama6493
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
If I could afford it, yes. Jawas > all else in Star Wars. Except maybe Teek.
I probably would if they made it a bit "droid factory" compatible. It would be the perfect environment in which to house such a play feature.