PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Greedo, really?

JediTricks
02-12-2010, 03:35 AM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=8409&source=021110news&utm_source=newsletter-pers-021110news&utm_medium=email&affiliate=CD1384

Hello, left turn at Albuquerque. Where did this come from? And why is it wearing someone else's vest? Why wait until ESB's year to put this out?

I'm actually more interested in the cantina environment piece, but unless it's just a table, I doubt I could afford it.

So, who is excited about this one?

Jayspawn
02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I think its interesting. The headsculpt looks good, but the vest is way off. If they had some other Cantina alien coming 1st, people would b**** about it not being Greedo.

I might it, depending on price.

El Chuxter
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Y'know, they should really reconsider totally replacing their website with the streamline ordering site. You can't see a single frickin' thing because every internal link redirects you to a purchase page for something called "Undying Carcass." There's not even a button that says something like, "Not interested in this figure? Browse the rest of our site." Instead, just a small disclaimer at the bottom: "The standard SideshowCollectibles.com website will be back online in approximately 30 minutes, please return at that time to browse our entire store." Rude and grammatically incorrect. Lovely.

bigbarada
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, I'm glad to see more aliens again. I'm pretty sick of the Troopers and Jedi/Sith figures.

Anyways, I'm more interested in their 1/6 Gamorrean Guard, that will probably be my very first Sideshow figure. I would also like a 1/6 Ephant Mon so I can buy two Gamorreans and pose them on both sides of him.

Bossk, Barada and Kithaba would also be on my dream list; but I'm sure 2/3 of that list is pretty far down on Sideshow's radar.

jedibear
02-13-2010, 01:02 AM
El Chux....you probably tried to check during the PPO for that "Undying Carcass" figure that happened today. The PPO for Greedo is next Friday, when hopefully they'll have more pictures up.

bigbarada...part of your wish is about to come true...it's expected that a Gam Guard should be announced (and PPO'd) sometime this year (maybe ComicCon)...not even a whisper about an Ephant Mon though that would be cool...

JT...yeah, I'm hoping we get some ESB-centric releases announced soon...but they did run late (after the 30th Anniversary) of ANH for that spate of figures, so it won't be too surprising if ESB experiences the same delays...

...as for this figure....despite his infamous status from ANH, I'm not wild about this one. Maybe some more pics will sway me, but even so, I'm not prepared to start what will probably be a "build your cantina" stream of figures that may be rather cost/space prohibitive. Out of those denizens, I'm more interested in a Hammerhead than anyone else...

sebillba
02-13-2010, 02:10 AM
So, who is excited about this one?

Yes, I am!!!!!!! I don't own any SS SW figures (though I do have POTA and Indy), despite their faults, I mainly stuck with the Hasbro 12" line, and didn't want to replace everything with SS (which also have their faults, and are less accepable at the higher prices). But the Hasbro Greedo was terrible, and as one of my favourite characters, I have always wanted a better version at this scale.

So I am very excited for this, and will probably end up buying two SS figures this year, as I'm also a nut for Yoda.

plasticfetish
02-13-2010, 04:50 AM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=8409&source=021110news&utm_source=newsletter-pers-021110news&utm_medium=email&affiliate=CD1384

Hello, left turn at Albuquerque. Where did this come from? And why is it wearing someone else's vest? Why wait until ESB's year to put this out?

I'm actually more interested in the cantina environment piece, but unless it's just a table, I doubt I could afford it.

So, who is excited about this one?I think it's obvious that they decided to do this now because I asked for it in our 2009 Year in Review (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=2686). ;)

Anyway... I'm so totally amazed by the lack of cool alien figures from Sideshow. I'm gonna say it again... Hammerhead. I'd also like to see a great Greedo figure, or maybe a Tusken Raider, or anything that isn't a clone or a Jedi for Pete's sake. I mean... it's not that I don't love the Jedi, but seriously... aliens and droids would be nice also.

I'm expecting two things... they fix the weird vest, and then they send me a free one, because I'm sure it's stupidly expensive. (Usually when you don't bother to mention a price just a week before something goes on pre-order, it means that the thing is wildly over priced.)

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 05:26 AM
Great, now I know who to blame. :p

They never mention prices this far in advance, do they?

I do have to admit, the Hasbro one is somewhat crummy. I don't feel any compulsion to replace it though, Greedo is iconic but not major enough for me to drop nearly a hundred bucks upon.

Bosskman
02-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Greedo looks sweet. I can't wait for Bossk and Hammerhead (both of whom have been hinted at by sideshow). My dream for Sideshow would be that all the original Vintage Figures were released in this format.

Blue2th
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Hello, left turn at Albuquerque.

Don't do that, you'll end up stuck here. :)
If you take three lefts you can go right though. ;)

I'll pass on Greedo. Still have my Hasbro one, though inferior he's good enough for me.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I figured I just went to the site at the wrong time, jedibear. You'd think a company that sells figures for $100 and up (I'm assuming that's what they cost now, given the steady increase in prices a few years ago) could afford to accommodate the traffic that could conceivably be visiting their website during a presell, but looking for something else. Re-directing all traffic, even to unrelated internal links, to the presell page, with only an overly blunt comment to "come back later if you want to look at anything other than this page" seems like an iffy idea to me.

The Greedo doesn't look bad, but I decided long ago none of the Sideshow figures are worth what they charge for them.

Darth Metalmute
02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
$95!!!!!!!!!!!

It better come with a barstool to bash over my head if I buy this.

On the plus side. The environments are cheeper ($90), but there is two of them.

If we wanted a bounty hunter, we would have wanted Boba Fett to stand behind Jabba. My guess is they are holding off until the price is $175 a figure.

JediTricks
02-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Ugh, that is crazy crazy crazy! I'm glad I don't want this stuff.

plasticfetish
02-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Yeah... no. That's too much. But I'm not surprised, seeing as how Sideshow thinks that mid-'90s rich Japanese toy collector prices are still the way to go.

I'm willing to bet that I'll find this on eBay a few years from now for half the price.

Darth Metalmute
02-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I think this might be the first one I pass on. Hopefully my collection persona doesn't click "submit order".

I haven't even seen what the two environments are yet.

I imagine that the production size on this item will be Sideshow's smallest yet.
Hopefully, it will make them realize that for 90 bucks, we want the big names.:frus:

If this was around 60 bucks, I would have bought it, but I'm not paying over 90 dollars for a bit role character. At least I hope I'm not. :lipsrsealed:

2-1B
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I heard Chux was lobbying Sideshow to make a $95 Teek figure.

sebillba
02-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Yup, it's way overpriced, and I can't afford it, but I don't care, this will be my one must-have item of the year.

wampaslayr
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
So $90 for the regular edition and $95 for the exclusive and the extra $5 is for a mini "Wanted: Han Solo" poster that was never in the movie. Not worth it. The environment is also $90 and although it looks cool with the figures, I can't justify that price for 2 plastic chairs and a table. If the light on the table lit up then it might be worth it. I would price the environment at $40 tops. I may get the regular edition of Greedo after the exclusive presale. I like the Hasbro version as well and would be fine with that one in my collection to represent this character. Sideshow's ego and price strategies are getting out of hand.

JediTricks
02-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I think the environment price might be acceptable if the pieces are polystone, and/or if the table light lights up, but I really don't think I'll bother with this. Plus, those chairs are supposed to be part of a U-shaped couch, and need a floor and back wall to make it an environment for me.

Greedo is a zero-chance item for me at any price, but the exclusive being $5 extra for a piece of cheap printing really feels like the last straw in Sideshow's games - that is just ridiculous and stupid.

Darth Metalmute
02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
So $90 for the regular edition and $95 for the exclusive and the extra $5 is for a mini "Wanted: Han Solo" poster that was never in the movie. Not worth it. The environment is also $90 and although it looks cool with the figures, I can't justify that price for 2 plastic chairs and a table. If the light on the table lit up then it might be worth it. I would price the environment at $40 tops. I may get the regular edition of Greedo after the exclusive presale. I like the Hasbro version as well and would be fine with that one in my collection to represent this character. Sideshow's ego and price strategies are getting out of hand.

The complete environment is 180 dollars. It's a two piece set from my understanding. My guess is that you can get a table and the chairs with one, and the rounded section with the other.

Old Fossil
02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
It's a cool figure, but not $90 cool. Maybe $40-$45.

Nuckin' futz.

wampaslayr
02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
The complete environment is 180 dollars. It's a two piece set from my understanding. My guess is that you can get a table and the chairs with one, and the rounded section with the other.

I was just on the website reading their info page about the preorder and the only pics they are showing for the environment are two chairs and a table with a price of $89.99. Maybe sideshow is preparing to release the rest of the environment later, but for Friday's preorder it's only chairs and a table. Still too much for what you get.

JediTricks
02-19-2010, 03:37 AM
The pics they showed of the environment had 2 chairs and a table. I can't imagine they'd be foolish enough to try to sell the curved seat separately, that would have no appeal. IMO, what's going to happen is either they misspoke about being 2 environment purchases, or the environment has 1 chair so to get both you'll end up buying 2 sets and have an extra table you won't use in the scene.

jonthejedi
02-19-2010, 05:35 AM
I'd pay that kind of $$$ for Cdmr. Cody, not for the Greedster. My Hasbro vintage 12" still looks fine. Sorry, Sideshow...that's a big "no thanks!" This is supposed to be the year of "Empire," also-how about a 12" Snowtrooper with an E-web cannon?

JediTricks
02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
I'd pay that kind of $$$ for Cdmr. Cody, not for the Greedster. My Hasbro vintage 12" still looks fine. Sorry, Sideshow...that's a big "no thanks!" This is supposed to be the year of "Empire," also-how about a 12" Snowtrooper with an E-web cannon?
Bad news then Jon, Cody is coming out later this year but as a "deluxe" figure with a second helmet for Clone Wars styling, so he'll be more expensive than this. Of course, how they feel $90 is reasonable for Greedo is entirely beyond me. I think Sideshow has gotten too big for their britches and thinks they can fish every last coin from our pockets simply because we're their largest customer base and they feel like we're the "job" part they have to do to support the "art" parts they want to do. But they aren't that great, and I've now grown fickle, there was nothing to justify Lando's $70 and far less to justify Greedo's $90, I want to be over and done with anyone who feels I'm just their ATM. Sorry for the rant, but the $5 poster is another laugh, even if it's full-sized it's a pretty eh-looking item and a crappy way to deal with an exclusive.

Nice idea on the Snowtrooper & E-web!

So, the environment piece is up, the whole shebang for $90, plus the table light will light up. What it doesn't say, however, is the material the set is made out of. The ship weight on the pieces is 4 lbs, and let me point out that the ship weight on the Dejarik table was 5 lbs, and that piece shouldn't be heavier than the center table in this set, much less its 2 chairs. I hope I'm wrong and they just forgot to mention that it's classy polystone, but right now it looks like another SW snow job at Sideshow.

Darth Metalmute
02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
The email I got said 2 sets, but I think I mis-understood it. I think the number was refering to the number of items for sale, not for the number of environments.

JediTricks
02-20-2010, 11:02 PM
They said on their page there would be 2 environment purchases, but it's looking like that was a mistake.

Jayspawn
02-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Greedo isnt a bad choice, but unless he comes with some xtra hands and a bunch of accessories, he's not worth $90+ to me.

I'm holding out for Dooku and Cody.

jonthejedi
02-26-2010, 06:48 AM
2nd that Jayspawn!

Darth Metalmute
02-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I imagine that the production size on this item will be Sideshow's smallest yet.
Hopefully, it will make them realize that for 90 bucks, we want the big names.:frus:

Exclusive was set at 750. I can't remember a lower quantity. Usually it's one or two thousand.

Blue2th
02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Greedo isnt a bad choice, but unless he comes with some xtra hands and a bunch of accessories, he's not worth $90+ to me.

I'm holding out for Dooku and Cody.

Cody is the only one I really want.

The Hasbro Dooku is one of the better ones. Jedibear had some pics of him loose alongside some Sideshow stuff and it's remarkable how the quality is nearly as good. I can pass on a Sideshow Dooku as well.

Greedo will be showing up at various Hastings in my area I'm sure. Then he'll shelfwarm forever.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Exclusive was set at 750. I can't remember a lower quantity. Usually it's one or two thousand.
Lando was the first exclusive to go to 750, then the Shocktrooper, then Clone Wars realistic Anakin, then Grand Admiral Thrawn, and now Greedo. Seems like Sideshow has lost a lot of their step after raising prices drastically.

Darth Metalmute
02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Wow, I didn't realize all of those were that small.

Looks like the people have spoken. Lower the prices.

Jayspawn
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Sideshow's prices have been the buzzkill for me. I'd buy a whole lot more if they costed just a little less. No figure should be over $100, for armored figures I understand some.

jedibear
12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Got Greedo...

I think he's a pretty good figure, great sculpt, good outfit, better stand.
Yeah the prices are going up, the edition sizes are going down and I don't pick up each and every one anymore...but I am still enjoying the ones I get, like Greedo here.

Here's some shots...

jonthejedi
01-01-2011, 04:55 AM
...are you getting the cantina table & chair set, jedibear, so you can do the "who shot first" scene?

sebillba
01-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos JB, I should get mine soon (my first SW Sideshow figure!). I've had it on pre-order for so long, I'd almost forgotten about it! It's on order with a UK stockist, who now have an eta of 7th Jan, though I'll take that with a pinch of salt.... hopefully I'll get it sometime this month though.

jedibear
01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
...are you getting the cantina table & chair set, jedibear, so you can do the "who shot first" scene?

Maybe someday, but not now. Can't bring myself to spring $90 for that. Would rather get more figures...

JediTricks
01-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Cool shots, but why are his pants so baggy in the upper half?

jedibear
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
the pants are a thin, windbreaker-type material...I suppose I should futz better before taking pictures. I think they look fine. I'd rather they be a bit baggy than hiked up so tight that the thin, base body shows underneath. Oh well.

sebillba
01-07-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos JB, I should get mine soon (my first SW Sideshow figure!). I've had it on pre-order for so long, I'd almost forgotten about it! It's on order with a UK stockist, who now have an eta of 7th Jan, though I'll take that with a pinch of salt.... hopefully I'll get it sometime this month though.

Up till yesterday, it was still giving a release date of 7th Jan.... today it's been put back to 28th Jan. :(

jedibear
01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
He's worth the wait, sebillba...one of the better figures Sideshow'd s done...let ud knoe ehst you think when he arrives...

JediTricks
01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Oh, I see, parachute pants, gotcha. So he's MC Hammering it.

jedibear
01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
lol That's one way of putting it I suppose...

The more I look at this one, the more I really like it...

sebillba
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
He's worth the wait, sebillba...one of the better figures Sideshow'd s done...let ud knoe ehst you think when he arrives...

Finally received mine today, and you're right, he's well worth the wait. This is my first SW Sideshow figure (though I have a few POTAs and Indy) and I'm really impressed. The likeness is amazing, and I love how his eyes seem to be made from a different plastic and inserted in the sockets, rather than just painted on - adds some extra realism to him. His outfit is simple (maybe a little thin and loose-fitting in places), but it's got some nice details - the very neat stitched lines on the yellow stripes, the leather belt and holster, and even though they're not screen accurate, I like the pockets on his vest. He displays really well, I have mine standing with his glass in hand (which he holds surprisingly well), and he looks fantastic.

Not sure I like the stand so much... all the previous stands I have go round the waist - when I first saw this one, I assumed the prongs went under his arms, but have since discovered they go under his crotch. This works ok I guess, but he seems to sping/fall off at the slightest touch. But that's only a very minor gripe, seeing as it's not actually part of the figure.

Overall, I really love this figure, it's already one of my favourite pieces in my collection. I now want Momaw Nadon to go with him, but as I've got Yoda and his hut on pre-order, there's no way I'll be able to afford another one of these for quite a while.