PDA

View Full Version : If Comic-Con were to indeed leave San Diego...

El Chuxter
02-21-2010, 01:18 PM
... they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

I read the article that's linked on the main page (actually before seeing it here), and thought of what a joke Comic-Con in Anaheim would be. True, there's a bigger convention center. But the city lacks atmosphere. It's Disneyland, a few hotels and restaurants, and, well, that's it.

I can't help but wonder how Disneyland would feel about a huge, incredibly popular convention eating up hotel rooms during a prime summer week. I wouldn't think Disneyland would get extra business from outside the area during Comic-Con, as folks visiting probably won't have time and/or money to stop by there.

If they do wind up moving to be closer to the Hollywood studios, I propose they drop the word "Comic" from the name altogether. I doubt I'd be visiting in Anaheim; if it weren't for Disneyland, I doubt I'd even drive through there.

TeeEye7
02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
They could call it the Los Angeles Comic-Con of Anaheim.

I think Disneyland would welcome it as it would generate business for them, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags, Long Beach Aquarium, Maps of the Stars Emporiums, JT's house, and on and on. I think out of staters would see how relatively close things are in SoCal and take advantage since they made the trip to The Con.

pbarnard
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
They could call it the Los Angeles Comic-Con of Anaheim.

You have to work California or Greater Orange County or something else in there.

TeeEye7
02-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Nah. If it's good enough for the Angels, it's good enough for Comic-con.

pbarnard
02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Nah. If it's good enough for the Angels, it's good enough for Comic-con.

*cough cough* California Angels when Gene Autry owned the team. It's only Arty Moreno who's changed/fooled around with the name. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I think they should keep it in San Diego. When I went I had a great time with plenty to do outside of the event. Though I did get "the finger" from one person who probably saw my L plate, and thought I was ruining the SD experience. :Ponder:

I've been to conventions in Anaheim (NAMM) and as an out of state-er quite frankly I don't know how you can breath without a respirator. Guess it's an acclimation process. I stayed in my motel room most of the time.
Yeah I know it's not always like that, just 99% of the time. :razz:

TeeEye7
02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
...as an out of state-er quite frankly I don't know how you can breath without a respirator. Guess it's an acclimation process.

Well, I know that for the eleven or so years that I lived there, I was beginning to grow gills to filter the air....... :dead:

figrin bran
02-21-2010, 11:09 PM
When I went to the D23 Expo in the Anaheim Convention Center last September, I distinctly recall thinking that Comic Con would never work in this facility. I think on paper, it may be a larger facility but in reality, it would probably be even more cramped than San Diego.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey, you can't spell "communistic" without "comic." :rolleyes:

It has dropped its focus on "comics" and moved towards film and toy licenses, so I would be sad to see it go, but sadly not shocked to learn that'd be the case. I think they're treading on thin ice, and not even Iceman OR Mr. Freeze can help them.

LusiferSam
02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
... I won't care. I haven't been to one, nor do I plan on going to one. It's the people quite frankly. I do not mean this an insult to anybody here, but most of people who would go to such event really aren't the type of people I get a long with. It's like physics majors. I don't really like most of my peers at school, just like I don't really like most Sci Fi/comic fans I've meet in real life. Again this is not an insult, just an observation on about me.

plasticfetish
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh god, what a lame idea.

Putting it plainly... Anaheim is a dump. Though San Diego is a lot farther away from me than it used to be, I'd much rather drive down to spend the weekend there, than in sad old Orange County.

DarkJedi5
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM
If they're gonna move Comic Con my vote is for San Francisco. The weather is only okay in August, everything is expensive, there aren't many other attractions, but it would be nice if it were in my own backyard!

plasticfetish
02-23-2010, 12:49 AM
If they're gonna move Comic Con my vote is for San Francisco. The weather is only okay in August, everything is expensive, there aren't many other attractions, but it would be nice if it were in my own backyard!The weather is only okay in August? I dunno about that. I grew up in the Bay Area, and I'd say that you've got quite a few good months. Of course this is coming from a guy who gets rained on pretty much all year long now. ;)

Besides, you already have WonderCon in San Francisco.

...and really, there's a lot to be said for supporting your local conventions. Rather than helping to turn San Diego into an even more rediculous monster, next month I'll be hitting the Emerald City ComiCon in Seattle instead. Sure... it's a smaller gig, but I kind of like being able to actually walk around and talk to people.

DarkJedi5
02-23-2010, 02:45 AM
The weather is only okay in August? I dunno about that. I grew up in the Bay Area, and I'd say that you've got quite a few good months. Of course this is coming from a guy who gets rained on pretty much all year long now. ;)

Besides, you already have WonderCon in San Francisco.

Not sure where in the Bay you grew up but most in most places August has great weather. In SF though it can be unusually chilly with the warmest months being September and October. Anyway, WonderCon is a really good convention but until they start getting the Hasbro convention exclusive Star Wars figures I don't think it quite stacks up.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been to three 'Cons, IIRC (maybe even four). My enjoyment level, however, has lessened as the sizes of the crowds have increased (I think the physics majors at your school would call an inverse relationship, LS :rolleyes: ). But I also went by myself the last time, and while it made navigating crowds easier (not keeping a group together), it was far less fun (and people laugh and point even at C-C when you have a full-on conversation with yourself in the hallways :p ). I would like to go again, if I feel my time there will be enjoyable and worthwhile.

DarkJedi5
02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
What I don't get is how many non-comic related things set up at Comic Con. I've never been but I know the Discovery Channel's Myth Busters are going to be at the next one and that's got me scratching my head. Why isn't this thing a little more limited? Would probably keep the crowds at bay if it were just a nerdfest.

El Chuxter
02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think it's a stretch to say that at least half, if not two-thirds, of the attendees have never read a comic book. I've commented in the past how sad it is that there are mobs (and they can't be described as anything else) when a minor actor on a TV show walks through, but at Comic-Con, you have guys who can be described as nothing but legends be totally ignored, and not because they're incognito.

figrin bran
02-23-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't think it's a stretch to say that at least half, if not two-thirds, of the attendees have never read a comic book. I've commented in the past how sad it is that there are mobs (and they can't be described as anything else) when a minor actor on a TV show walks through, but at Comic-Con, you have guys who can be described as nothing but legends be totally ignored, and not because they're incognito.

Accordingly, I bet Didio and Quesada could walk through the exhibit hall and not even have that much scorn directed towards them.

plasticfetish
02-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Not sure where in the Bay you grew up but most in most places August has great weather. In SF though it can be unusually chilly with the warmest months being September and October. Anyway, WonderCon is a really good convention but until they start getting the Hasbro convention exclusive Star Wars figures I don't think it quite stacks up.I was making a joke. I know that August is nice. My point was, that compared to a lot of places, pretty much every month is nice there. (I grew up in Marin BTW... San Anselmo, Lagunitas, Mill Valley... and then I lived in the city for a bit before moving to L.A. Which is nice, if you like brown air and the occasional 110-degree day in August. ;))

But yeah, anyway... that's really the point though. WonderCon doesn't have a Hasbro convention exclusive, because it's actually a "comic book" convention, and not whatever SDCC has turned into. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed my visits to SDCC, but what Bel-Cam says about the fun diminishing as the crowds grow, applies for me as well.

The last time we visited, which was two years ago I think, my son and I were heading out the door, when we happened to pass a table where Sergio AragonÚs was packing up his stuff. He was all alone, and I flipped out in a very nerdy way, while trying to explain to my son who he was. I blabbered a bunch of stuff to Sergio about how he was a major inspiration for me learning to draw, and that I worshiped MAD magazine as a kid. He was very cool... he smiled, joked with my son, and then gave him a bunch of stickers and magnets from his briefcase.

I walked out of the convention center totally blown away by the fact that a guy like that had been sitting all alone... seemingly ignored. Getting to say hello pretty much made the trip for me... and then seeing that he was the "guest of honor" (or something like that) the following year, made me pretty happy as well.

So yeah... looking at all the cr*p is fun, but it's getting to meet a comicbook legend or two that really excites me. Next month Len Wein will be at the convention up here in Seattle... and I'm hoping that I don't creep him out too much as I gush and babble about how much I love Swamp Thing. :)

El Chuxter
02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Sergio Aragones was one of the fellows I was thinking of. He's a pretty distinctive-looking character, too. Last year, I got a comic signed by Steve Leialoha, who had his own booth, and he actually looked through it ("Silent Interlude" from GIJoe) and chatted about it for several minutes, uninterrupted. This guy not only has a sterling record as a penciller and inker going back more than three decades, he won Eisners for his more recent work. Leaving the Con one day, I was next to Paul Levitz, the (then) publisher of DC, at the stop light, along with a few billion people in t-shirts with DC characters, and no one noticed. (It being comic geeks, I don't think they were being polite. The next day when he appeared at the WB booth to hype whatever animated movie DC was putting out, it was a different story.) It's just a bit bizarre to me that the should-be superstars at a comic convention are ignored because no one knows who they are or realizes their importance, but "Third Redshirt from the Left in Shot 12 of Episode 387" causes a riot.

plasticfetish
02-24-2010, 02:23 AM
I think that's just the way it goes sometimes. Could happen in a lot of different situations.

I'll always remember the time that I was at the Long Beach Grand Prix, and had decided to get out of the sun for a bit, so we wandered into some hotel to look at a car show that they had set up. We go down this escalator, and right at the bottom is the Batmobile, James Dean's Porsche, and a folding table with George Barris and his wife... all alone. Upstairs and outside there are thousands of racing fans and car "enthusiasts," but down there, the greatest customizer that ever lived was sitting with his wife completely alone.

It was a little weird, and I felt bad that no one was paying them any attention, but I got to hang out and talk with him for a while... which was about 1000 times more fun than the Grand Prix.

...and the more I think about it, maybe that is the best thing about SDCC. The fact that, mixed in with the huge smelly crowd of Řbernerds, are some really cool people that you almost don't see if you're not looking. The same year that we met Sergio AragonÚs, my son got to meet C.H. Greenblatt, who does the cartoon Chowder, and has worked on The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (a show that he was really obsessed with at the time.) We'd seen his photo before, and it was like, "Oh look... there's the guy that does the voice of Fred Fredburger. Hey kid, go ask for his autograph." My son was giddy... and got his photo taken with him, etc.

That's pretty much what conventions are all about as far as I'm concerned.

mabudonicus
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
A quick aside came to my mind- I laugh to this day when I recall a semi-local, obviously slightly "fringe" convention advertising the "guest of honour" as being a name I don't remember with the description as "the guy who played the Robot on Lost in Space"
To this day I suspect that the guy was a really crafty fraud.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
I wonder how many "played a native on Gilligan's Island" appearances have happened on the con circuit

El Chuxter
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
On a related note, I wonder how many Hollywood superstars go around big conventions wearing what look like really cool costumes. You get these people supposedly fly in for a five-minute appearance; you don't reckon some of them want to get out and see the show? That awesome General Grievous could be Johnny Depp.