PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else NOT care about the packaging?

El Chuxter
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative, negative, whatever. To me, a package is something that gets chucked into the recycling bin; I don't care how it's designed or what it looks like. Seriously, the packaging could be hot pink and show a picture of Miley Cyrus on the artwork, with the only text being, "The buyer of this figure is a dork!" If the figure's one I want, I couldn't care less.

I'm just curious about this. Hasbro, based on their remarks in the Q&A's, thinks this is the way to get lapsed collectors back, increase sales, yadda yadda, and the excitement from most collectors, even loose collectors, seems to back this up. If they're truly planning to release new versions of all 96 vintage figures, people seem to be truly excited about buying unnecessary updates (or, since the TVC line will include re-released figures, the same figures again) just for old-school cards.

I'll admit that I'd buy a new TVC Mon Mothma, for instance, but that'd be for the figure, since the first one sucks and an update is way overdue. I don't think any amount of vintage-style artwork is going to make her a hot seller with casual collectors. I can't see myself buying the 2009 Han and Luke in Stormtrooper disguise to get new cards.

Am I really the only person who will look at the packaging and think, "That's just like the card I threw away thirty years ago," before throwing it away?

bigbarada
02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I do care about the packaging; but I fully understand why many collectors wouldn't.

I'm just worried that Hasbro is too focused on rereleasing the original 96 on vintage cards, instead of giving us new figures. Because after a few months the novelty and nostalgia of the vintage cards will likely wear off and if collectors see nothing but pegs full of figures that they already own in some form, then sales are going to drop even further.

As a graphic designer, I have a real appreciation for the vintage style packaging and just packaging design in general; but I fear that Hasbro is going to be relying way too much on that to carry the line.

Also, the initial wave of ESB figures is not doing much to ease those concerns.

pbarnard
02-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative, negative, whatever. To me, a package is something that gets chucked into the recycling bin; I don't care how it's designed or what it looks like. Seriously, the packaging could be hot pink and show a picture of Miley Cyrus on the artwork, with the only text being, "The buyer of this figure is a dork!" If the figure's one I want, I couldn't care less.

Am I really the only person who will look at the packaging and think, "That's just like the card I threw away thirty years ago," before throwing it away?

You are not alone. Just include enough to keep them from being tampered with/easily repackaged by people who would STEAL.

El Chuxter
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
As a graphic designer, I have a real appreciation for the vintage style packaging and just packaging design in general...

I should clarify that I'm not trying to downplay the aesthetics of the original cards. They're some of the best action figure packaging I know of, second only to the vintage GIJoe: A Real American Hero line. Eye-catching, simple, even dignified. I just don't keep packaging, so it's a total non-issue.

It just occurred to me: if they truly plan to release all 96 within two years, this means we'll be seeing a re-release (or, much less likely, a resculpt) of Malakili, making him a pegwarmer in all four incarnations! :eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm an opener but I keep the cards. Packaging isn't a huge deal for me, but I like when it looks good, and the vintage cards look great. Even though I was born in 1989, the vintage look gives me a blast of nostalgia to the early days of my own collecting and fandom, when I would look to the vintage stuff and think it was cool (which I still do).

They didn't commit to releasing all 96 vintage cards . . . here was their answer from Jedi Temple Archives (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5882/#details):

Q. The recent announcement of the AT-AT Commander figure at the UK Toy Fair and the Vintage Collection as a whole seems to indicate that completing the modern resculpts of the Kenner vintage line is a very real consideration for Hasbro's Star Wars team. Case in point, we also recently saw one of the remaining ewoks made in the form of Warok in the BATTLE ON ENDOR battle pack.

So at this time which characters from the Kenner vintage line does the Hasbro Star Wars team consider undone? Which of these character are a high priority to get done? And considering how few of these characters are left, would you care to speculate on how long it may be before all of the Kenner vintage figures are reproduced in modern form? We put together a special report right here talking about the figures that remain to be made. Can you comment on our own list of "yet to be made" figures?

A. We do not have a specific time frame to complete updated sculpts of all of the (actual) vintage Kenner figures. Systematically, we plan on getting to them but some like the Imperial Dignitary (Sate Pestage) keep getting pushed out indefinitely in favor of other more interesting characters. The time will come, however, probably within the next 3-4 years where we will deliberately want to wrap up all of the vintage resculpts to put some finality to it. However, that, in our opinion, is only one of the "update" milestones that should be looked at. Another equally valid update would be the issue of a modern-standard sculpt on a Vintage basic figure card. That is a much more ambitious plan, and since we will have released 30 or so high-quality figures of the original Kenner run on Vintage re-issue cards by the end of the year, with some more planned for 2011, it does beg the question of whether long-term there is a possibility of re-issuing vintage versions of the Kenner run. A lot of that depends on exactly how long the modern vintage line will run, and balancing core characters with obscure ones, and OTC vs. Prequel Trilogy, but if Vintage does have a long life this will be a fun checklist to try and complete. It's fun to speculate on what could happen...but whatever happens, we're glad you are here to tell us what you'd like to see.
This is yet another case of people reading too much into Hasbro's answers, bending reality to match their own perceptions.

Anyway, I do feel that some lost collectors will be enticed by the vintage look. How many, exactly, I don't know. But even from reading these boards, and noticing how people are planning to keep some carded and open some as well, gives me hope that this line will do well. I myself am planning on getting two rocket-firing Fetts - one to open and one to keep carded. I'm usually not tempted to do that, but if there are some other cool figures released this way, I could be persuaded to buy extras to keep carded.

bigbarada
02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
They did however state that it was a possibility over the next few years; but the really notable thing about this is that Hasbro is the one who brought it up, not the collectors.

That being said, there's still absolutely no way that they could fit all 96 vintage figures into the lineup within the next 2 years while simultaneously including Prequel figures AND scaling back on the number of figures produced.

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 05:40 PM
The switch to Vintage is a gamble that I think will work for about 3 to 6 months, and then when collectors realize that they've come back to a line that costs $8+ at retail, and is still horribly distributed and paced, they're going to get fed up and walk away again. But I think the gimmick itself will work for the collector base. Whether it'll help, hinder, or have no effect on the casual consumer base though, that I can't venture a guess.

I personally absolutely don't care about the packaging. I like it to look nice only so far as it'll keep the line flowing and not make the product inside look worse than it really is. I like the packaging to feel like it's working hard to both display the product in its best light while simultaneously protecting it. I like it to make it easier to find what I'm looking for on pegs.

But I've lost my taste for keeping the packaging around for its own merits (especially the Vintage-style cards, which have the ugliest cardbacks in the entire 33 years of SW collecting IMO). To me, they're just something to rip up and toss in the can, or tear open, examine the figure, and put back on card until I'm ready to put it in my collection - temporary storage.

I honestly don't think the Vintage-style packaging actually is very good at 3 of the big jobs I cited above. I think it displays the figure in a poor light, especially anything with a lot of accessories where it's all crammed into the coffin blister with nowhere to go, and the figure isn't posed so it's stuck looking boring. I think it doesn't do a good job protecting the product since it's all right next to the blister face instead of a little further back the way all the other modern packages have been. And I also don't think the packaging presents the product in a good light in terms of product value, with a tiny blister off to the side of a big card, it's reminding one that they're buying a tiny toy and a big expensive brand license for $8.

I guess that means I do care about the packaging, but not in a standard collector manner.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
They said TVC is going to run for at least two years; I assume they haven't planned much farther than fall 2011 at this point, and they want to see how well it does before committing to too long of a timeframe. In the event that they do try to upgrade every vintage figure, which I actually can't see happening due to things like Malakili, spirit Anakin, and the Ewoks, it will take longer than just two years, and for all we know, they could continue the TVC until 2018.

Devo
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Nice vintage cards could entice me to buy non-essential figures in the coming year, rereleases I don't need etc so yeah good packaging matters and does have an effect.

2-1B
02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Anyway, I do feel that some lost collectors will be enticed by the vintage look.

Count me in on that. :thumbsup:

But I also have to agree with what JT said, I'm not going to be buying these long-term...but it does tempt me to buy more than I have during each of the last 4 years. :)

vger
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Having a very different packaging than Clone Wars and SL can only improve the chances for TVC to actually get restocked. When all the cards are the same/similar shape or color it isn't as obvious which sub-line is selling to people stocking the SW section when figures get put back on the wrong pegs by customers.

Old Fossil
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm such a sucker for Vintage-esque cardbacks, they could almost put a wad of chewed-up Hubba Bubba in a blister on a B-Wing cardback and I'd pay $8 for it. Almost.:grin:

I can't afford "true" Vintage figures MOC, so I decided when they did VOTC a few years back that I'd collect what I believed would be a limited-run thing. I welcomed each new incarnation that followed, and bought at least 2 of each -- one to keep carded (and mint in their clamshells -- mail-a-ways unused), one to open (excepting the Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Sandpeople, Biker Scout, etc., which I got multiples of).

I've gone this far, and it gives me something to look forward to and be excited about in SW collecting as long as they make the Vintage-style cards. The only other line I collect MOC is the Concept figure sub-line, which is perfect for me in its infrequent offerings. TVC will be less restricting and, ultimately, cover more wall space.lol

I can't wait to see them in person!:love:

Ji'dai
02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm an opener and although I don't really care for the packaging, I do keep it.

I loved the idea of putting modern figures on the repro vintage cardbacks. But the cost of buying two of each figure at the $10 price point made me stop collecting them after the first 12 VOTC.

A two-year vintage run is a bit disconcerting for me because I know I'll want to buy two of each OT figure, one to open and one to keep carded. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it this fall, I guess.

Does anyone know if these vintage cards will be the same size as the real vintage ones or the new smaller-sized card the current TLC & CW figures are on?

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Having a very different packaging than Clone Wars and SL can only improve the chances for TVC to actually get restocked. When all the cards are the same/similar shape or color it isn't as obvious which sub-line is selling to people stocking the SW section when figures get put back on the wrong pegs by customers.That is true, I do care about that in a big way. Unfortunately, being slavish to the Kenner vintage cardbacks also means no J-hooks, which is a step backwards IMO.

Does anyone know if these vintage cards will be the same size as the real vintage ones or the new smaller-sized card the current TLC & CW figures are on?They seem to be the same proportions as the originals. I can't imagine them shrinking the cards, scaling everything about the existing card art they said they were using, and then sticking with the punch-holes instead of J-hooks.

DarkJedi5
02-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Nope I don't care. I toss it all as soon as I open it. I would buy figures in a plain cardboard box with a window so I could see what I'm getting and make sure the paint app didn't suck.

Turbowars
02-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Damn JT, I have to disagree with everything you have said in this thread. Sounds like you are just down on Hasbro to begin with. These days I don't take hasbro as serious as I used too. I like what hasbro has done and I will love the Vintage line and I hope it does well. The only things I will be buying from hasbro is OT stuff.

To answer the question at hand, No I don't care about the packing anymore, but I will keep the New Vintage figures carded. So I guess my answer is Yes and No.

TeeEye7
02-24-2010, 03:51 AM
I do care about the packaging; but I fully understand why many collectors wouldn't.

I'm just worried that Hasbro is too focused on rereleasing the original 96 on vintage cards, instead of giving us new figures. Because after a few months the novelty and nostalgia of the vintage cards will likely wear off and if collectors see nothing but pegs full of figures that they already own in some form, then sales are going to drop even further.

As a graphic designer, I have a real appreciation for the vintage style packaging and just packaging design in general; but I fear that Hasbro is going to be relying way too much on that to carry the line.

Also, the initial wave of ESB figures is not doing much to ease those concerns.

I'm with BigB on this.

In a prior life I, too, worked as a graphic artist and photographer (I've still been known to still work a design or two).

For me, I like to see the concepts of design for packaging (good or bad), and, like it or not it's a part of the history of the SW lines every time they change it. I like that part of the equation as well.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-24-2010, 06:35 AM
basically to me its cool, but will i buy more figures because the cards are the same from when im a kid? nope! i plan on only buying the figures i want and that make sense to me. i may buy a figure or two because of the packaging if i have the extra money but i doubt it because im a loose collector, but mainly only characters i plan on getting are the new ones who hadnt been done and the ones that need new sculpts...

Ando
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I like the new Vintage cards. Normally I don't care about the packaging, but these I like! I may even buy doubles to keep carded (along with a new Vader and some other core characters that I already have). Not for investment purposes, but for a cool future SW display when the wife and I buy a house.

They remind me of my childhood and with the reduced plastic on the card, there will be less waste when I open new figures.

I agree that the lack of a J hook is a big problem. I envision lots of cards being pulled down and ripped through by inconsiderate people just to look at them and then left on the shelves for the people who actually care and will buy them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
For those concerned about the lack of a J-hook, consider this (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/basic-3-3-2f4-22-action-figures/p32944-hasbro-star-wars.html). There's a piece of plastic on the back of the card that should prevent people from just ripping them off the pegs. I still think doing this will lead to collectors to examining and likely buying more figures since they will have to actually remove them from the pegs in order to get to ones they want, as opposed to just casually flipping the other figures to the sides.

Snowtrooper
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm also a sucker for the vintage style cards and reasonable facsimles of(OTC & SAGA2). I bought doubles of all the OTC, Saga2, and vintage cards. I'm inclined to do this again, but because of space issues I may not get doubles of every one this time. I've been also trying to get a real vintage collection going, so this may also keep me from getting extras. We'll see, I guess.

RENDAR LIVES
02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
I should clarify that I'm not trying to downplay the aesthetics of the original cards. They're some of the best action figure packaging I know of, second only to the vintage GIJoe: A Real American Hero line. Eye-catching, simple, even dignified. I just don't keep packaging, so it's a total non-issue.

It just occurred to me: if they truly plan to release all 96 within two years, this means we'll be seeing a re-release (or, much less likely, a resculpt) of Malakili, making him a pegwarmer in all four incarnations! :eek:

Yes! I truly love my ARAH cards. They are the only ones I have bothered to keep along with my POTF2 cards. Though this is admittedly because of the bios on the back.

I collect to open and display carded so the packaging can be a huge factor for me. I personally liked the Saga Blue and Saga Black cards for their simplicity wich did a lot not to detract attention from the figure. There were certain 30AC figures I picked up for the card art alone but in contrast I think TLC card art was vomit. While I like the simplicity of the Vintage card I think the photos are very dated. So I'm actually looking forward to a new Zam Wessel with a modern photo on vintage card.

If they retool certain figures like AOTC and ROTS Anakin I may buy them but they need additional articulation and new head sculpts (or at least paint). Same with OT figures. If they are an investment for me I will buy them but the cards alone don't sell it. I share Bigbarrada's fears. This seems to be just a gimmick that will breathe some limited life into the line but will ultimately fail due to so many repacks.

dindae
02-25-2010, 02:18 AM
The way I see it is Hasbro is trimming Star Wars fat. Comic Packs, Titanium, Mighty Muggs, and anything else they don't see as a strong seller is gone. So going forward they are cutting most EU, sticking to core characters, and repacks. I don't think any of figure choices are based on the card decision. They are simply going back to a card that was very popular and has been requested several times in the Q&As. I think they see it as a safe bet. VOTC sold well and a lot of those were great for the time but some like C-3PO were pretty aweful and I think would have done much worse on a normal card.

For me personally I am an opener and I won't buy any extra but I have been know to get caught up in the moment of finding new figures and buy some that I had previously decided not to. These cards have a nostalgic tug at me and that will be a factor if i'm on the fence and debating an impulse buy.

AmanaMatt
02-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Considering I placed the first vintages waves in a hermetically sealed, germ free environment and climate controlled 24/7, I would have to say 'you are'

LOL

I personally love the packaging. That said, when Hasbro chooses to use the classic kenner look, they are also accepting a certain expectation from collectors. They have said this is a way to get the collectors back, and for me personally, it'll work...ONLY IF the figure quality is there. Dengar, Luke, Leia, At-at Commander all excellent starts

If we get more figures like the Han, it'll be awful. No packaging can save a bad figure. Hope Hasbro understands that.

Jt: Havent even thought of the J-hook issue, but its a decent compromise (to me), of course

DarkArtist
03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
i sorta care about the packaging but again I'm a loose collector. I loved the artwork for the TAC line, and the look of the OTC collection, and I a huge fan of the Vintage line since this is the line i remember growing up with.

as far as the Legacy line, did not care for the look of the Stormtrooper / Clonetrooper cards and the red cards were okay but did not stack up to the TAC ones.

the new look while interesting is ok but again most of the cards go right into the garbage so it's really hit or miss...

now if i was a Carded collector..then yes the packaging would be a very real concern.. i would like to have something along the lines of a mix of both Vintage and TAC.

ChukhaTrok76
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, from my standpoint, I like a lot of the artwork depicted on the cards, but I usually end up taking my figures out of the packaging and displaying them, so it's not all that important to me. But it's kinda neat to see all the hard work artists do to come up with packaging art. I like the conceptual designs for the artwork too.

Blue2th
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I used to care about the packaging. Getting all picky about cards and packages being mint. Took a huge amount of time amassing a MOMC collection.
This is how I ended up with 2 of every figure made right up to Saga 2.

I decided it was getting out of hand, and I really liked loose figures anyways.

Sure they looked all cool tacked to the wall in numerical order, but the walls were covered in them.

Now it's too late for Hasbro to make nice collector cards for me I've already made the transition to a loose collector. No need for me to make this hobby more expensive than it has to be with the rise in prices. Already been down that road when they were cheaper. They might remain on the card for a little while but only because I aint got time to open them yet, and a place to put even the loose ones for now.

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Damn JT, I have to disagree with everything you have said in this thread. Sounds like you are just down on Hasbro to begin with. These days I don't take hasbro as serious as I used too. I like what hasbro has done and I will love the Vintage line and I hope it does well. The only things I will be buying from hasbro is OT stuff.I don't see how, most of what I said comes from the facts. We've not seen decent, fair, even pacing and distribution in years now. The price is going up to $8. The backs of the cards on the Vintage lines has been really ugly (I may not have been clear enough when I said the "cardbacks" were ugly, I meant the BACKS of the cards, not the fronts of them, I know the whole card is referred to as a "cardback" too, wasn't thinking). I think I made a good argument for the limitations of the vintage-style cardback as well. I'm not down on everything Hasbro does, but I am not going to sit back and defend concepts I don't agree with. I think I defended my opinions pretty well originally, except maybe for that "cardbacks"/"card backs" thing.

For those concerned about the lack of a J-hook, consider this (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/basic-3-3-2f4-22-action-figures/p32944-hasbro-star-wars.html). There's a piece of plastic on the back of the card that should prevent people from just ripping them off the pegs. I still think doing this will lead to collectors to examining and likely buying more figures since they will have to actually remove them from the pegs in order to get to ones they want, as opposed to just casually flipping the other figures to the sides.I addressed that in another thread, I thought it was this one but my comment on it isn't here, so another thread. Anyway, yes, they put a thin reinforcer on the punch holes, but A) those reinforcers aren't all that good at their jobs, look at the TAC line's J-hooks or at the ROTS line's, and B) it won't address the problem of getting product on and off pegs quickly.

The way I see it is Hasbro is trimming Star Wars fat. Comic Packs, Titanium, Mighty Muggs, and anything else they don't see as a strong seller is gone. So going forward they are cutting most EU, sticking to core characters, and repacks. I don't think any of figure choices are based on the card decision. They are simply going back to a card that was very popular and has been requested several times in the Q&As. I think they see it as a safe bet. VOTC sold well and a lot of those were great for the time but some like C-3PO were pretty aweful and I think would have done much worse on a normal card.IMO, Comic Packs, Titaniums, and EU add flavor to the SW brand, they fill holes that cartoon clones and prequel Jedi and orange pilots don't always cover. I think Hasbro went overboard with repacks in Comic Packs and Titaniums, I think they overproduced and overpriced at the same time, and I think the EU failures in the mainline were due mainly to the long breaks in the regular mainline figures throughout 2008 coupled with price increases. I don't see them as fat to be trimmed, but as lines that should have been nurtured and instead were mistreated by a myriad of forces both internal and external. At the point where the line is now, without those fringe items every once in a while, the line is already close to running out of steam - we've got probably 80 to 90% of everything in a modern style now (despite mediocre Han and Leia figures still).

Clearly, the intentions are working though, nostalgia is winning the day. Whether it wins the war is yet to be seen though.

Neuroleptic
03-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I plan to buy doubles of a few of the first wave specificaly to get the mail away Boba Fett. After that, I'll go back to only buying one figure if I want it and a double only if its a figure that has A LOT of nostalga for me when I was a kid (C-3PO, R2-D2, Wicket, and a select few more).

For the most part due to space, I simply can't justify having a ton of packaged figures, no matter how good the card art. I open the few figures I buy these days.

But this will be the first time in a decade where I may occasonaly make an exception or two now and then. So depending on what Hasbro releases, they may very well get more money from me with the new vintage collection than they have in the past.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Who is going to put them with their VOTC figures, if they have them carded separate from their regular collection? I have a set of all the modern Vintage-style figures on card on my wall, but that's a mix of nostalgia and the idea behind the modern styling, the specialness of them. I don't think I'm going to put these new ones in clamshells and put them with my VOTCs. I have a few clamshells left too, but not for these.

AmanaMatt
03-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I wish I had kept some clamshells...wonder if Hasbro wil sell them again online? Maybe!

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
They never stopped selling them: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=495&ST=PR&ID=17677&PG=8

I bought a 10-pack and put the McQuarrie figures in 'em, put that up on my wall next to my computer. It goes great with the SDCC and CIV exclusives, but oddly the fit is SLIIIIIGHTLY different, just a little looser.

They have the slightly rounded top portion to accommodate the ROTS line, but they should work fine with vintage-style packaging.