PDA

View Full Version : STP - new album - June 1, 2010

Rocketboy
02-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Via wmmr.com (http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1199670):

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS DEBUTS NEW ALBUM AT LISTENING PARTY

2/24/2010

Stone Temple Pilots unveiled their first new album in nine years at a private listening party on Tuesday night (February 23rd) in New York City. The entire band was in attendance at the event, with our reporter on the scene saying that singer Scott Weiland "looked the best he's looked in a long time." All 12 tracks from the album were aired, with our reporter calling the record "a natural, melodic progression for Stone Temple Pilots, with Beatlesque harmonies, a lot of in-your-face, hard-rocking tracks, plenty of guitar solos and some astounding singing from Weiland."

The yet-to-be-titled album, STP's sixth, will be out June 1st.

STP reunited in 2008 after a six-year layoff. The band's last album, Shangri-La-Dee-Da, came out in 2001.

The Pilots will also tour throughout the spring and summer, with Weiland hinting in a recent interview that the band might mount its own festival.

The track listing for the new STP album is:
"Between The Lines"
"Take A Load Off"
"Huckleberry Crumble"
"Hickory Dichotomy"
"Dare If You Dare"
"Cinnamon"
"Hazydaze"
"Bag Man"
"Pea Coat"
"Fast As I Can"
"First Kiss On Mars"
"Maver"
Well, my summer is officially complete!

preacher
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Very good news indeed. Can't say I'm shocked though. Velvet Revolver, good as it was, had personalities that really clashed.

Rocketboy
02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Updated release date of May 25th and will be simply titled "Stone Temple Pilots."

bikerscout
02-26-2010, 04:48 AM
excellent news. STP is one of my top 3 favorite bands. (other 2 are RHCP and Radiohead). I was reluctant to see them on tour last year b/c they had no new songs to perform, but went to see them anyway, best friend never saw them play. It was my 3rd time & i've seen Velvet Revolver twice too. This will be a run out & buy it in the store. Hope there's a deluxe version, ill get it.

Blue2th
02-26-2010, 08:56 AM
This is good news! :thumbsup:

I'm hoping the DeLeo Bros & company haven't lost any of their musical magic. I doubt they have.

Velvet Revolver was ok, but the songs just didn't compare to almost anything STP composed IMO.

Rocketboy
02-27-2010, 04:11 AM
I loved Velvet Revolver, especially Libertad. They were no STP, but they semi-filled a void.
It was like Christmas when STP reunited.

I had also heard that Scott's vocals were off early in the the reunion, but by the time I saw them in July of last year (best birthday ever, btw) they sounded incredible. The only minor complaint I had was that Scott wasn't as animated as he usually he is onstage, but that could be because: A. He ain't as young as he used to be, or B. I remember hearing he had some knee problems, which could have been bothering him.

This could be a big year for Scott/STP:
- A new album.
-Talks of STP possibly starting a music festival.
-Scott's autobiography, "Not Dead & Not for Sale," on November 1.
-Scott collaborating with Carlos Santana on a cover of the Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." Release date TBA.
-A Scott Weiland live solo album.

bikerscout
02-27-2010, 09:17 AM
oh man! even more Scott/stp news, awesome!!!!

I loved Happy in Galoshes. Too bad the t-shirt offer was expired by the time i got it. Dang it!!

Weiland for prez!!!! Look out Barack!!! No way out!!!!

Rocketboy
03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Fansite belowempty.com (http://www.belowempty.com/media/) has an exclusive 20 second clip from "Between The Lines," the first single (due out officially March 30th).

Abso-f*cking-lutely love it!

bikerscout
03-16-2010, 07:32 AM
I like. I like. I want to buy. When these 4 forces unite - some awesome music always happens.

Rocketboy
03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Between The Lines, the new single is supposed to premiere Monday, but it's out there right now...if you know where to find it. ;)

So good!
:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
And it appears too good to be true. The band has broken up again, citing in a statement the jealousy felt by the DeLeo brothers that Scott got to work with the great Duff McKagen.

From their press release: "We just couldn't get over that, no matter how we tried. I mean, Duff McKagen is a god among men. I've actually worn out my CD of Believe in Me. I know it's not supposed to be possible, but I have. I just love the way he tosses in drunken profanity where it's least sensical, improving an already awesome song. And the clever way he mis-attributed Ice Cube's song 'A B**** Is a B****' to Ice-T was subversive genius."

The new CD will be released, but don't expect anything else soon. On a side note, McKagen was so impressed that someone liked him, that he'll be joining Talk Show. In his statement, he said, "I've been in so many forgettable, inconsequential side projects, what's another one WITH A F***IN' BOTTLE IN MY HAN'!!!"

Rocketboy
04-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Funny.

Aprils Fool's aside, that first paragraph ain't too far from the truth right now.
Two recent shows (Chicago a few days ago and Detroit last night) were a total mess, Well, Scott was a mess, possibly wasted on stage. He was screwing up songs, falling over, and mumbling between songs. Reports say the Deleos and Kertz were pretty obviously p*ssed and left on the opposite side of the stage as Scott.

Obvious speculation was drugs again, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. A few days before Chicago Scott injured/broke his ankle, leading many to believe he has been combining pain killers with alcohol, which may explain his behavior.

Thankfully they only have a few shows left before they take a break before another tour around the time he album is released. Hopefully Scott can get his sh*t together before then before the band implodes completely.

bikerscout
04-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Geez. Everytime i see scott perform, he's always falling or hurting his leg somehow! No wonder he wasn't movin around on stage a lot last i saw him-- this made the show lower energy. This really sucks to hear. The new album is almost out --now this drama. C'mon Scott. Get it together. You're next in line for the presidency!! :razz:

2-1B
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Aprils Fool's aside, that first paragraph ain't too far from the truth right now.
Two recent shows (Chicago a few days ago and Detroit last night) were a total mess, Well, Scott was a mess, possibly wasted on stage. He was screwing up songs, falling over, and mumbling between songs. Reports say the Deleos and Kertz were pretty obviously p*ssed and left on the opposite side of the stage as Scott.

sorry to hear that RB, I hope they get it together soon and are able to finish/continue their tour on a strong note.

JimJamBonds
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Geez. Everytime i see scott perform, he's always falling or hurting his leg somehow! No wonder he wasn't movin around on stage a lot last i saw him-- this made the show lower energy. This really sucks to hear. The new album is almost out --now this drama. C'mon Scott. Get it together. You're next in line for the presidency!! :razz:

Sounds about par for the course.

bikerscout
04-03-2010, 05:32 AM
maybe scott can perform on a segway or somethin. Be a pioneer. Lol. :p

Rocketboy
05-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Temple-Pilots/e/B000ARC4TI) is debuting a new song each week until the album is released.
So far:
Week 1 - "Between The Lines"
Week 2 - "Hickory Dichotomy"
Week 3 - "Bagman"

:thumbsup:

bikerscout
05-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Nice. Any word yet on whether there'll be a deluxe edition or basic edition or both?

Just got the "Thank You" cd/dvd in the mail (took f'in forever). Can't wait to watch!!!!

Rocketboy
05-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Ah crap, there are a bunch of exclusives for the new album.
IIRC: Target has a DVD, Amazon & the official site have bonus tracks and...there is another I believe, but I forget right now.

El Chuxter
05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
These "competing exclusives" with new albums are really getting on my nerves. It doesn't help that the stores don't advertise their exclusive material until the Sunday before the release date.

bikerscout
05-04-2010, 07:07 PM
yes, they are annoying. But 2 -3 days time is enough for me to decide. (How bout 5 or 4? nm, my lame attempt at Art School Girl joke -lol)

Rocketboy
05-04-2010, 11:03 PM
If they're just "bonus tracks," then it's no big deal - that's what the internet is for. :)

bikerscout
05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
i'd rather have the bonus tracks on disc though. When they're put on the net --they're usually at ****ty sampling rates & compressed. I like my music lossless. Esp. if it's STP.

Maybe they'll do it like Godsmack's album & have a cd/dvd and T-shirt combo. That would rule.

Rocketboy
05-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Another great new tune is up on Amazon.
Huckleberry Crumble (http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Temple-Pilots/e/B000ARC4TI)
2 weeks to go!

bikerscout
05-11-2010, 02:00 AM
i like all the preview songs except Huckleberry C. Now i'm getting pumped for the album. 2 weeks!!!!! can't wait.

oh ya, unless a better edition comes along, I'll be getting the Deluxe STP. 4 bonus tracks. I saw them last yr., but now wish my friend had waited b4 getting tickets. I knew no new material would be performed and they didnt

Rocketboy
05-12-2010, 12:32 AM
And in case you missed it, the video for Between The Lines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS590AkE6c) was released back on Friday.

Rocketboy
05-20-2010, 12:31 AM
The album is finally on torrent sites!
Awesome (I had no doubts)!

As I type this the band is about to take the stage on Letterman.

bikerscout
05-20-2010, 01:38 AM
You better go out & buy it in stores or online cheap f*%^ers!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait till next week.

still watching that Thank You dvd --awesome!!!

Rocketboy
05-20-2010, 07:26 AM
You better go out & buy it in stores or online cheap f*%^ers!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait till next week.

still watching that Thank You dvd --awesome!!!Hell yes I'm going to buy it in stores!

And I love that Thank You DVD. I wish that No Way Out was on there - it's weird that it wasn't included.
The Sex Type Thing compilation used to depress the hell out of me when it looked like STP was RIP (because I thought we might never see the boys together again), but ever since they got back together, it's taken on a new life for me.

bikerscout
05-20-2010, 03:27 PM
No Way Out would've been beyond great to be on the dvd. But, I'm extremely please the live perf. of "Atlanta" is on there. I've always wanted to see/hear that one live. The bootlegs are cool --just wish they had better sound. I would've liked for the video for Big Empty to have been on, but they probably didn't include it b/c it was all clips from "The Crow"?? Or was it performance & movie clips? Was there any video for BE just performance?>

Rocketboy
05-20-2010, 04:04 PM
The video for Big Empty was just the Unplugged performance and not an official video (unlike No Way Out).

bikerscout
05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
i don't think they had a music video on the dvd for Big empty. Just live performance iirc

bikerscout
05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
just bought the dlx at bestbuy. Cool packaging. will open tonite on my graveyard shift. Sux, i know, but there's an event at the Greek theater tonite. (not stp).

Rocketboy
05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Picked up the deluxe edition at Target with the exclusive DVD!

bikerscout
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
ok, now i'm really ****ed at Target. Their sunday ad said Deluxe edition on available at itunes + Target. Therefore I thought only bestbuy would have the cd with extra tracks. Does the Target edition have 16 tracks and a dvd? What's on the dvd? I shoulda waited to open my BB version. I'm going to heat seal the plastic if nothing else works -i'm ****ed. :mad:

Rocketboy
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Haven't watched the DVD yet, so I can't tell you if it's worth it or not, but it has:
1. Interview
2. "Vasoline" and "Between The Lines" Live
3. Making of "Between the Lines" Music Video (But no video for BTL apparently - weird)
4. Radio Interview

EDIT: The Target exclusive version has the 16 tracks and the DVD.

El Chuxter
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
It's because the music industry wants to make the retailers happy by offering them stuff, never taking into consideration that it p***es the fans off. There have been albums that have different "bonus" tracks at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and iTunes. It's ridiculous.

Rocketboy
05-26-2010, 03:56 PM
But that is when you stick it to 'em by buying one copy then downloading the other bonus tracks.

El Chuxter
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah--thing is, I can't help but wonder, as head-in-arse as the RIAA and music labels are, do they realize stunts like that only encourage piracy?

bikerscout
05-26-2010, 10:32 PM
i'm not encouraging piracy - i want the pilots to be paid, but I'm extremely ****ed at Target for making their ad so ambiguous. Assholes. thank u for that information RB.

For me, it's all about getting the most value for the $ and the deluxe/bonus tracks with dvd for $15 is much more worth it than just the deluxe cd for $15 at bestbuy. Any advice for trying to reseal shrinkwrap? I have it pretty close, just need to join em together again

Rocketboy
05-27-2010, 06:59 PM
No clue. Never had to do that.
You could always give the gift of STP to a friend - they would in turn owe you a life debt.

bikerscout
05-28-2010, 06:55 PM
the force persuade worked yesterday. There was another BB employee there watching over the shoulder of the guy helping me with the return -she eyeballed the package a bit & made me nervous, but overall it worked. Got the refund. Everything inside was left in tact --i didn't even listen to the whole cd, previewed it, like 1 min. each track. The BB poster is nice, but i'd rather have the dvd. Feel like i'm gettin more for my $. Went to a target, they were out, had them call another store & they held a deluxe for me. A buck cheaper & dvd included? I'm in. Have yet to open the target Dlx cd.

I thought about selling the dlx to my friend for $10, but he lives far away & it'd be a real pain, so i opted out. Still ****ed that Target's ad was horribly made