PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Larger TIE Interceptor?

Tycho
02-25-2010, 03:37 AM
I am continuing my thread series, but to stay up-to-date with current events, am switching the forum that will host it.

It seems fitting, as this might be the last ROTJ vehicle poll.

This thread will discuss primarily the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case an Updated TIE Interceptor from ROTJ).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy an Updated TIE Interceptor Vehicle from ROTJ.

The latest re-release of this vehicle started is still in stores, however it hasn't been made with larger wings. I'm not even sure that a correctly scaled TIE Interceptor has larger wings. Please feel free to discuss that too.

Brian @ Hasbro has updated so many fighter cockpits and made improvements to the ships that I'm not even sure what cockpit mold to use for this one.

Another update to the wings (besides launching off to simulate battle damage) would be to have HIDDEN launching missiles that shoot out of them (either on the wing tips, or in the central connection area).

You could place slide-out guns that hide themselves well on the underside of the cockpit, too - similar to the Darth Vader TIE Fighter mold that's out there, to keep this being even more fun for the kids.

I have longed for a TIE Fighter with Ben Burt's Oscar-Award-Winning Sound Effects (the rattlesnake blaster cannons and the lion-roar fly-bye noise of the ion engines). Green light-ups on the laser cannons would be great, too!

So do you want the TIE Interceptor updated?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

IN ADDITION TO DISCUSSING THIS VEHICLE, I'd like your recommendations for any other ROTJ vehicle poll we might do. Otherwise, I think this is the last one from ROTJ.

Our ROTJ results are as follows:

No - Imperial Shuttle
Yes - Tatooine Skiff
Yes - Jabba's Sailbarge
No - Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
Yes - new speederbikes
?? - TIE Interceptor

There are no other vehicles strictly indiginous to ROTJ except for:

A-wing
B-wing

Neither of which really need any update and have had recent releases, too.

But the poll series will go on with TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, and the EU regardless of whether we stop with the category of ROTJ.

Let me know if that's OK with you, and please discuss the TIE Interceptor.

I would entertain the idea of the Death Star II, but it is really a playset

bigbarada
02-25-2010, 07:27 AM
I actually just bought the recent TRU exclusive TIE Interceptor and I'm really happy with it. To me, it's about as perfect as it needs to be. These aren't prop replicas, they are toys, so I'm willing to accept some concessions in their accuracy.

So, no, I don't think I would buy a new Interceptor, because I think the current one is fine just like it is.

Darth Metalmute
02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
This one is interesting. On one hand, the wings are small, on the other the have released it about 4 times, with no major changes each time. I doubt we will ever see one with correctly scale wings due to it's limited screen time compared to the basic TIE figther. I feel the same way about the TIE bomber as well. I think I would much rather have Hasbro concentrate on other TIE's; the TIE Defender, the TIE Avenger, the TIE Phantom, the TIE Hunter, etc.

darthbooger
02-25-2010, 08:23 AM
I thought the TRU version had a new cockpit?

pbarnard
02-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I think I would have to buy the one currently out there before a new one. I need a squint, just to round out the TIE Family I have.

mtriv73
02-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree with Metalmute, while the newest one isn't perfect, it's pretty close and I'd rather see some never before made TIE's (especially the defender.)

So it boils down to this, if they made a significantly improved version, of course I would buy it, it would need in scale wings, the newest cockpit is great, I'd love sound effects, and I still depise launching anythings. But, I don't really see the need for the upgrades right now.

DarkJedi5
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Nope, the new TRU one is just great. I just compared photos and I don't think the wings are all that much smaller anyway.

Snowtrooper
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd say no as well. The new pod took care of most of the complaints that the previous TIE releases had. To be honest, I didn't know the interceptor wings were inaccurate.

DarkArtist
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
the only way i would drop cash on a new TIE fighter is if they added the sound effects of the laser cannon and fly-by.. otherwise it would be a pass for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm perfectly happy with the TRU version.

bigbarada
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
the only way i would drop cash on a new TIE fighter is if they added the sound effects of the laser cannon and fly-by.. otherwise it would be a pass for me.

I agree completely. As far as I'm concerned, I have the perfect versions of the TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor. The only thing that would get me to even consider buying a new version would be electronic lights and sound effects. The flyby sound is a MUST and I've been hoping that Hasbro would make this upgrade since 1995.

Darth Jax
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
rerelease the TRU to all retailers so i don't have to pay the insane exclusive TRU mark-up and drive 45 minutes to get one and i'd be happy.

Old Fossil
02-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I might buy it, only if it was released in the regular vehicle/starfighter assortment for $25... and that's a big "if." I already have Vader's TIE, the TIE Bomber, and the recent Target exclusive big-wing SOTE TIE. I got TIEs coming outta my waz:ninja::ninja:.

bigbarada
02-25-2010, 08:15 PM
I might buy it, only if it was released in the regular vehicle/starfighter assortment for $25... and that's a big "if." I already have Vader's TIE, the TIE Bomber, and the recent Target exclusive big-wing SOTE TIE. I got TIEs coming outta my waz:ninja::ninja:.

I would definitely buy a complete remake of Darth Vader's TIE Fighter. The vintage version was terrible, but the POTF2 version wasn't much better.

Old Fossil
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I would definitely buy a complete remake of Darth Vader's TIE Fighter. The vintage version was terrible, but the POTF2 version wasn't much better.

I dunno, BigB, I thought the POTF2 version was pretty good. A well-detailed and porportioned design, and a very sturdy toy at that. Electronics would be sauce for the goose on that one, it's just a great ship, one of Hasbro's best efforts ever, IMO.

bigbarada
02-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I dunno, BigB, I thought the POTF2 version was pretty good. A well-detailed and porportioned design, and a very sturdy toy at that. Electronics would be sauce for the goose on that one, it's just a great ship, one of Hasbro's best efforts ever, IMO.

I can't stand it, the proportions are hideous. The wings are way too small, the wing pylons are too long and too large compared to the cockpit ball, the front windshield is too small, and the top hatch is too big and sticks up way too much (where it should be flush with the shape of the ball).

Then there is the weak detailing throughout the toy and the ridiculous play features that detract massively from the look of the vehicle.

Tycho
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I guess I'm way less particular and think, while your comparison shot shows the difference, I'm quite satisfied.

Hasbro is not a replica model company - though yeah, in some cases they do get close.

The play features are necessary to entertain kids, a huge part of their market. And they entertain me as I love firing missiles and chase my cats all around the house shooting at them. (Well, actually I know it doesn't bother them because they don't run and I have to reclaim the missiles back from them fast or they "catch them" and chew on them.)

I also like lining up figures and knocking them down with missile raids. This would be the most fun if the old AT-AT had shot more stuff.

The Hailfire has the most missiles, but it's hard to aim them.

Slave-One is the cream of the crop in accuracy to target - that I'll tell you!

BTW: I'll poll for a re-do of Vader's TIE Fighter in ANH selection when we get there. These polls are not about what I support. So we'll be taking a look when we get there.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm not very interested in the TRU one, it is 50 ridiculous dollars and uses the old wings that have really rough detail. The size issue however isn't among my chief complaints. If this were just a larger-wing TIE Interceptor, my answer is no, that's not what I'm looking for. If it's a bigger cockpit, again, no, if it doesn't fit with my existing fleet scale what's the point? So what would I like? Better wing detail and a lower price, if the wings aren't way out of scale then I guess I would be interested, but only barely. The thing is a cool design, but it doesn't have the credibility with me that the TIE Fighter has.

AmanaMatt
02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Personally, I am happy with how the TRU one turned out. If they did an electronic one AND the kiddie elements didnt detract from the sculpt, Id get it.

Of course, I'd love it as accurate to the movie look as possible

The Space Outlaw
02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I really like the current design. The cockpit is, I think, as good as we can ever get in 1/18th scale, save for adding electronics. I don't really think I'd like electronics though; you just know the battery cover would detract from the aesthetics of the pod and while lighting might be neat (especially, for me, to see the engines and cockpit interior lit up) I've never been a big fan of sounds (were it not a birthday gift from my wife, I would probably have re-wired my BMF with the lights on a switch and the sounds eliminated by now).

I have the 181st Squadron Interceptor, and I really like the proportions. I don't really know how far "off" it is, but I generally find it acceptable. Right now I'm waiting for the Target TIEs to drop another few bucks and I'll buy two more; one for my planned trench defense display and one to customize into a new cockpit for Baron Fel.

TheDarthVader
02-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I agree with most here...I would buy one that has sound and lights, but, no, I would not buy a larger tie interceptor.

Devo
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
No. I got the new one and I'm fine with it. Only way to make it a must buy is electronics at this point.

morpheus282
02-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I think I would have to buy the one currently out there before a new one. I need a squint, just to round out the TIE Family I have.

Ditto, but I wouldn't mind a more reasonably priced re-release of it. Say, $40 instead of the jacked up TRU price?

RENDAR LIVES
03-01-2010, 10:44 PM

...and light up laser cannons. I really miss the POTF-2 and TPM features. I wouldn't buy a bigger one. The one out now shouldn't cost me more than $30 but is being sold at $50. I can't justify that when I can get all-new molds for half the price. It doesn't need to be bigger. It's a starfighter class ship. It should be reasonably small.

Tycho
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
The TIE Interceptor loses 6-10.

Of the 6 people who informally suggested they "might" want it, the ship would now require Ben Burt's sound effects to get them to open their wallets.

Otherwise, there is not demand for a new, bigger Interceptor.

Incidentally, this will not be the last ROTJ poll. The Special Edition has revealed to me two more ships (that could easily be prequel polls) which I will start polling for tomorrow in the ROTJ category. This way we'll still be playing with a full deck for just a little while longer.