PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow Vehicle From Dark Forces?

Tycho
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow Vehicle From Dark Forces?).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow Vehicle From Dark Forces?

This ship (pictures below) could be made (inaccurately) for the $24 starfighter assortment which has successfully sold EU vehicles.

I don't see this ship needing to do too much but fire maybe 4 plastic missiles for a play feature, and hold Kyle Katarn and a future Jan Orrs figure.

Note: to date, these EU ships have been polled for with the following results:

NO - Cade Skywalker's Mynock
NO - Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper Fighter
NO - Mara Skywalker's Jade Shadow
NO - Lando Calrissian's Lady Luck
YES - Imperial Skipray Blastboat
??? - Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow

So do you want The Moldy Crow made?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Post your thoughts.

AFCollector
03-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Absolutely. I always liked the shape of that ship and hoped that it'd get the treatment that Shadows of the Empire did with it's hero.

I wouldn't need much else in the way of features than what you listed. It was a cool lookin ship to begin with.

Darth Metalmute
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
NO - Cade Skywalker's Mynock
NO - Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper Fighter
NO - Mara Skywalker's Jade Shadow
NO - Lando Calrissian's Lady Luck
YES - Imperial Skipray Blastboat
??? - Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow

Man, I didn't realized I missed three of those. I will have to hunt them down.

Moldy Crew.

Ugh. Ten years ago I would have been all over this. Today, it's a no.
He got a new ship for the sequal, correct? The Raven's Claw? I think I would buy that one. But Dark Forces came out so long ago I believe the ship is irrelevant.

DarkJedi5
03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm with Metalmute, this ship is way past it's prime and it's window of opportunity has closed. It's been years since a Darkforces game and there's no support for it anywhere. Honestly, I always though it lived up to its name and never found it all that appealing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't want it and it wouldn't sell well at all.

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes, I would buy it at $20 quickly.

I dig it, the Crow has OT styling, and it was fairly important in 2 of Star Wars video games' most influential entries. It's a starfighter-shaped ship but it has the beat-up-but-tough credibility of the Falcon. It gives Kyle Katarn more of a personality, he's more of a loner and the ship's design suggests that. And the mad dash to get to the Crow in Jedi Knight while the giant capital ship was falling was so exciting, getting to the Crow and making it out by the skin of your teeth made the ship far more endearing even though it crashed hard upon leaving.

LTBasker
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
YES!

I swear I would buy a whole case of them. I would display one from the ceiling, I would display one on my desk, and I would display one on my bedside table. Oh, and I'd have one to whoosh around my room. :D

I would like to see it be large enough to house a 2-seater cockpit, but keep it's appropriate proportions. This could probably be acheived easily thanks to the relatively empty middle section, and the tail end could be removed for packaging purposes. Obviously the large cannon is going to house missiles, but I do believe the OT-inspired utilitarian design hosts plenty of potential for extra features, such as pop-out missile launchers. Perhaps some form of landing gear as well.

It's nearly unfathomable to think of any reason as to why I wouldn't want it, but I suppose if it was made with lazy proportions, and had little to no paint to add weather (such as has been a problem), and didn't have any decent features, then I would skip it.

I'd pay up to $50 if I had to, although it would need to come with not only Jan, but a Dark Forces Kyle and electronics as well. If it's too much for the Starfighter assortment, then I believe without figures its maximum pricepoint would be $35.

I think, if it was produced properly in the Starfighter assortment, then it would sell quite well. Mostly because it's just a very fun looking ship; despite its harsh angles it easily conveys a sense of whooshibility that you just can't ignore. If it had to be at the $35 pricepoint, I think it would do okay depending on if any features really came off as though it required a higher pricepoint. At my exaggerated $50... It probably wouldn't do all that well. Although there are large groups of Dark Forces fans still scattered throughout the internet that would probably buy it. The Starfighter assortment is the best bet, though.

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Basker, you just got a little Tycho on us. ;)

I agree that it needs 2 seats in a reasonable manner, but I'd also like to see a simple weapons storage area for all the weapons in Dark Forces.

JimJamBonds
03-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't, I'm not sure what it is but something about that ship doesn't float my boat.

Darth Jax
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
No, i don't need it. if released Hasbro would most likely rename it and sell it in the Joe line as well

bigbarada
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Nope. Never played Dark Forces, so I don't care. Even though it is one of the less crappy EU ship designs, there is no reason for me to buy one.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I would probably get this one. That was a great game, and this is one of the few EU vehicles that is instantly recognizable to me. The other ships that Tycho listed in the opening are either from stories I haven't read, or from stories I am mostly familiar with in text only. So, even the ones I am familiar with, I'm not entirely sure what they look like.

LTBasker
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I agree that it needs 2 seats in a reasonable manner, but I'd also like to see a simple weapons storage area for all the weapons in Dark Forces.

That'd be great to see, we got the Jedi Knight rail detonator with the '98 Katarn, but it seems like it's really lacking in detail. I remember the JK weapons better than the original DF ones, do you have any pics of them?

Basker, you just got a little Tycho on us. ;)

Got a little Tycho in you?

El Chuxter
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
That pic is awefulsome!

And, no, I wouldn't buy the Rusty Crow, or Dirty Crow, or whatever it's called. That ship sailed a decade ago.

RENDAR LIVES
03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I have no idea what this ship looks like but JT just sold me on it with his gushing. May I suggest pics or at least links to wookieepedia for these things. I think it would take the leg work out of voting for a sip people are unfamiliar with and opening new windows with things like wiki is slow on this relic I am working with.

LTBasker
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Tycho attached pics to the starting post, did they not show up? It's kind of difficult to find pictures that clearly show it off, but here is an awesome model built from scratch that really shows off the sharp angled beauty. http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=11518

RENDAR LIVES
03-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow! I've never noticed pics inany of his threads before. You must be magic. I think it's hideous. :D

Tycho
03-02-2010, 12:48 AM
LMAO at Basker's photoshop pic with the Mouse Droid.

Now I need to make that costume for Celebration 5!

I'll put a little tap in the Mouse Droid and make it remote controlled or have it follow me via a GPS locatior.

Hondo Onakah look out! I'll have one up on anyone dressed as him.

I'm kind of interested in Kyle Katarn and Jan Orrs because I enjoyed the graphic novels for Dark Forces. I got dizzy and frustrated playing the game way back in the day and preffered any version of Rogue Squadron (no coincidence there).

They need to make an X-wing fighter battle simulator for the Wii. Actually, I don't even know if any of the current platforms (360 or PS3) have Rogue Squadron games. Probably the systems with large older game files like X-box or PS3 (the PS2 game library) do have some sort of Rogue Squadron version that I could play if I owned those systems. But I don't have much time for video games.

I like the Lego SW games, but the pilot stuff isn't that great save for the ROTS Jedi Starfighter scene from the Battle of Coruscant during the Clone Wars. But I digress...

DarkJedi5
03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Actually, I don't even know if any of the current platforms (360 or PS3) have Rogue Squadron games. Probably the systems with large older game files like X-box or PS3 (the PS2 game library) do have some sort of Rogue Squadron version that I could play if I owned those systems. But I don't have much time for video games.

Not that I know of. Pretty sure all of the Rogue Squadron games were Nintendo only and so they would not appear on any system but the Wii. Though I haven't checked lately for a downloadable version of one of those on the Wiichanel but it seems like most of them would be pretty huge files and I don't think the Wii has as much memory as a 360 (which is the only other system I've got so it's all I can compare it to).

Mad Slanted Powers
03-02-2010, 01:42 AM
You should be able to play them on the Wii, though it sounds like you need a Gamecube controller and Gamecube memory card.

El Chuxter
03-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, you'd need a GC controller and card. TRU blew out their GC memory cards when they stopped carrying GC stuff, but that was a while back. You'd have to go for used most likely; new might be available, but pricey. I would recommend not getting one of the wireless GC controllers--the WaveBird is overpriced on the secondary market, and the third-party wireless controllers are too undersized to comfortably use. An extension cable for the controllers (and I'd recommend the ones manufactured by Nintendo, as they're more durable) runs about $2 at GameStop and is, if lower tech, a more reasonable alternative, IMHO.

Looks like both RS 2 & 3 are available reasonably on eBay (I didn't look closely at condition, feedback, etc). The first was on the N64; although some N64 games are available on the Wii Shop Channel, and three of the best older SW games are from the N64 (Rogue Squadron, Racer, and Shadows of the Empire), Lucasfilm has no plans that I'm aware of to release these on the Wii Shop.

I'd seriously recommend getting the controller and card so you can play GameCube games. It shouldn't cost much, and it opens up a whole 'nother library you can play.

Phantom-like Menace
03-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I'd buy this ship happily. I really didn't have much experience with the games, but I always liked the design, and I'm happy to get what could pass as a nondescript spaceship.

DarkArtist
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I've wanted this ship since the very first time i played the game..... A BIG YES !!! for me Tycho... would also love to see his second ship from Jedi Academy the Raven's Claw... as well as all of the figures for the games as well.. wouold really love to see Hasbro perhaps make a couple of box sets for both Dark Forces and Dark Forces II Jedi Knight.

DarkArtist
03-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Not that I know of. Pretty sure all of the Rogue Squadron games were Nintendo only and so they would not appear on any system but the Wii. Though I haven't checked lately for a downloadable version of one of those on the Wiichanel but it seems like most of them would be pretty huge files and I don't think the Wii has as much memory as a 360 (which is the only other system I've got so it's all I can compare it to).

I know the original Rogue Squadron game was also available for PC's (loved the game but the sequels were Nintendo only (have both Gamecube versions).

I agree that they do need to make perhaps a new game for Wii but would love to see Wii get a download of the first Rogue Quadron game.

Darth Metalmute
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
I know the original Rogue Squadron game was also available for PC's (loved the game but the sequels were Nintendo only (have both Gamecube versions).

I agree that they do need to make perhaps a new game for Wii but would love to see Wii get a download of the first Rogue Quadron game.

Isn't the first game playable on the second game as multiplayer? Or is that the second on the third?

DarkArtist
03-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Isn't the first game playable on the second game as multiplayer? Or is that the second on the third?

not sure actually will have to check that out. you got me curious as i love the first Rogue Squadron game... i know the third game Rebel Strike came with a bonus disc for the old Arcade Star Wars Game which i love playing...brings back memories of childhood.

would really love to see wii perhaps pick up the rights for the Sega Star Wars Trilogy game. I think that would be awesome. it's has the two levels where you play as Luke Skywalker battling Boba Fett and then Vader. the wii remote is perfect for that.

El Chuxter
03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
The second's on the third disc as a much tougher multiplayer version.

Darth Metalmute
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
would really love to see wii perhaps pick up the rights for the Sega Star Wars Trilogy game. I think that would be awesome. it's has the two levels where you play as Luke Skywalker battling Boba Fett and then Vader. the wii remote is perfect for that.

I love that game. Every time I see it, I drop about 5 bucks in it.

Never have beaten the Death Star 2 level yet though. I'm color blind and by the time I see the targets, it's too late.

El Chuxter
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I changed my mind. I very well might get this at the $25 price point. It'd be undersized, but a scale version isn't likely.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 01:41 AM
That'd be great to see, we got the Jedi Knight rail detonator with the '98 Katarn, but it seems like it's really lacking in detail. I remember the JK weapons better than the original DF ones, do you have any pics of them?Check out this page, it has tiny pics of each, plus each links down the page to how they looked in the game itself: http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/weapons/weapons.htm

You're totally right about the rail detonator too. Everything else from DF2:JK is something that exists or was in DF1 or is a regular SW weapon we have, but here's his database of them:
http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/jediknight/weapons/jediweapons.htm

They'd need to include thermal detonators and mines, I used mines like a mad fiend most of the time when I could get my hands on them, I'd cut off areas with the motion-detector versions.

Man, looking at those 2 pages makes me super nostalgic for playing them on my PC. I'd sit in front of it for HOURS pounding the keyboard (I never got a game pad, still don't have one) and getting frustrated when the tower would beep from too many buttons pushed at once. :p Dark Forces and especially Jedi Knight became almost real environments for me. The only other game I've ever had that on was GTA:San Andreas, though TFU came close.

I wonder if I could run DF and JK on my XP computer. I wonder also if I could find the discs for them.

Got a little Tycho in you?Awesome!

I changed my mind. I very well might get this at the $25 price point. It'd be undersized, but a scale version isn't likely.Cool! Welcome to the party. What changed your mind, if I may ask?

El Chuxter
03-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Just looking at the pics again. The design is pretty sweet, though I don't think it could have any hope at a size that sells for more than $25.

Darth Metalmute
03-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I wonder if I could run DF and JK on my XP computer. I wonder also if I could find the discs for them.

I can't help you with finding the disks, but I do remember playing JK on my XP computer. As for DF, I only played it on PS 1.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Just looking at the pics again. The design is pretty sweet, though I don't think it could have any hope at a size that sells for more than $25.Killer. I think $25 is an adequate price, there was a level in Dark Forces where you interact with the Crow, it wasn't particularly large on that level (it just sat there waiting for you to whomp baddies, but you could walk up to it). I think it's a good OT-styled ship, definitely better than most anything I've seen of the '90s EU.

I can't help you with finding the disks, but I do remember playing JK on my XP computer. As for DF, I only played it on PS 1.Oh man, I have got to track down those disks and waste some time with that. You have tempted me to do something I loathe - sit in front of the computer. :p

LTBasker
03-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Check out this page, it has tiny pics of each, plus each links down the page to how they looked in the game itself: http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/weapons/weapons.htm

You're totally right about the rail detonator too. Everything else from DF2:JK is something that exists or was in DF1 or is a regular SW weapon we have, but here's his database of them:
http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/jediknight/weapons/jediweapons.htm

They'd need to include thermal detonators and mines, I used mines like a mad fiend most of the time when I could get my hands on them, I'd cut off areas with the motion-detector versions.

Awesome source, thanks! I'd love to see the concussion rifle and mines done the most, but wouldn't be opposed at all to the rest of the weapons getting released. At least they already have a thermal detonator that could be included with a future release, thanks to the TSC Boushh.

Man, looking at those 2 pages makes me super nostalgic for playing them on my PC. I'd sit in front of it for HOURS pounding the keyboard (I never got a game pad, still don't have one) and getting frustrated when the tower would beep from too many buttons pushed at once. :p Dark Forces and especially Jedi Knight became almost real environments for me. The only other game I've ever had that on was GTA:San Andreas, though TFU came close.

I didn't play Dark Forces much, but it was definitely the same with JK for me. It was so addicting, and even joined a team and got into level making. So many hours spent slashing and shooting at people, and having my rear handed to me in return. Even better was playing through the single player game with a weapons mod, especially ones that gave you infinite ammo, and allowed you to rapidly lay mines. Somehow it never got old luring over a group of Grans then watching them fly off to the other side of the map. :D

JK seems to work fine with XP, I've installed it and played through a few times. Oddly, it's Jedi Outcast that I can't get to work on XP, but it's not a huge loss there.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I never got into Jedi Academy or Outcast, sadly it sounds like I never will now. :ermm:

Yeah, using the cheats to drop tons of mines was my favorite thing to do too. Jedi Knight was one of those perfect Star Wars games for its time, it really pushed the envelope in a lot of ways, it was fully engrossing and the first game to understand how to present the Force.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I never got into Jedi Academy or Outcast, sadly it sounds like I never will now. :ermm:I was able to get those for Xbox. I still haven't finished Outcast. I'd play it a lot for a while, then go a long time without playing it. I think when I played it last year, it had been a year or two. I don't think I started Jedi Academy yet.

I played Dark Forces on my Mac. I remember having some memory issues, so I had to adjust the settings to make it run better. I recall getting a bit impatient near the end and using some cheat codes to help out. I think I mainly used the one that showed where the enemies were on the map, and one for unlimited ammo.

Jedi Knight was never released on the Mac, so I missed out on that one. However, some time later I saw the Windows version at Electronics in a smaller white box, and went ahead and bought it since it was only $10. I figured I might at some point get a PC, or try one of the emulation programs that were available at the time to run it on my Mac, but it is still unopened. I also got X-Wing Alliance and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter at the same time, and the situation is the same with them.

Devo
03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Definitely not. I'd have no use for an EU vehicle.

Tycho
03-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Definitely not. I'd have no use for an EU vehicle.

I'm not interested in the Moldy Crow per se, but I do consider any vehicle that could be added to Coruscant traffic for dioramas from the PT and SOTE, when Coruscant is shown.

I want to hang up "traffic lanes" of ships flying. I have gotten mini-rigs and even appropriate-looking vehicles from other toy lines for use in this manner.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 06:07 PM
The thing is, there are almost no vehicles left to make or even remake now, so the EU is a good source to mine for vehicles, so long as they actually look like SW vehicles I think it makes sense. Look at the Republic Fighter Tank, a well-liked toy that's only appeared so far in video games.

Devo
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm not interested in the Moldy Crow per se, but I do consider any vehicle that could be added to Coruscant traffic for dioramas from the PT and SOTE, when Coruscant is shown.

I want to hang up "traffic lanes" of ships flying. I have gotten mini-rigs and even appropriate-looking vehicles from other toy lines for use in this manner.

Thats a great idea. This one does look very Coruscant-esque. I myself am not setting up any Coruscant dioramas though, too much would have to be left to the imagination for my liking. Also I'm trying to yet again cut back or cut out PT stuff, I say that every year. :rolleyes:

Tycho
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
And the Moldy Crow is our 2nd Expanded Universe Winner (first came the Skipray Blastboat from HTTE).

Kyle Katarn's starship's supporters and detractors were neck-and-neck on this one all the way through, and the ship won 9-8. It was really close.

These polls are always open and subject to change with new votes, btw. My series is for fun, a sampling of the consensus out there, and discussion on how to make these vehicles, price them, and how an afficiando might use them (as Kyle's personal ship for a Dark Forces display, as Coruscant traffic, or traffic over a diorama of Nar Shadda, etc.)

Anyway, I hope the Moldy Crow continues to stay ahead with her points because JT is right: with much of the movie vehicles already produced, the EU is an excellent source from which to keep the exciting starfighter line going. It continues to breath life into our hobby, and could possibly lead to more figures (like if they make Guri's Stinger, shouldn't they make Guri ?)

I'll poll for the Stinger later in the EU series. Right now I'm trying to go backwards through the EU chronology - an arbitrary decision so everything is not prequel-based and focus on vehicles that already have figures produced that belong operating them.