PDA

View Full Version : PS3 error, Sony says "don't turn it on until we find a fix"

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Almost all the old-school, non-slimline consoles are affected by a Y2k-type problem today, where turning on the machine mismatches the time to a secondary chip's timer and can corrupt trophies and disallows online play and even offline play. It also affects downloaded movies and Netflix.

Sony is working on a solution they think will be available tomorrow, but for today they are saying "don't turn on your machine". Oops!

Warped
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Ya think they are trying to get everyone to buy a new one......

El Chuxter
03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Sony: licking the envelope when it comes to providing excellent customer service!

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Ya think they are trying to get everyone to buy a new one......I don't think they foresaw this, the problem is they didn't design the chip running the simple front-end OS that controls the on/off and eject systems, and didn't think to check that its clock worked the right way, or that their system clock would require itself to remain out of conflict with that thing's clock. That was so stupid.

Sony: licking the envelope when it comes to providing excellent customer service!Definitely not ideal, but I think Sony at least putting out there the day it happened that something's wrong is a hell of a lot better than when Microsoft sat on the Red Ring of Death situation for far too long. We'll see how this plays out though, Sony better have their **** together by tomorrow like they claim.

Darth Jax
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
i didn't release Sony was a subsidiary of Toyota

Beast
03-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Well, if people weren't aware.. it's already fixed.

It was just an error in the internal clock data. It thought there was a leap year.

And when it tried to synch with the online clock, a problem arose.

It took a while to fix, but good lord there was panic. Some people even reformated and opened the system.

JediTricks
03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, there was no guarantee the problem would fix itself by rolling-over. There was a time back in the day when Xbox Live was down for a whole week, folks can't live like that. :p

Anyway, Sony didn't fix jack squat, they simply set the chip's clock roll over to a "real" date of March 1st at 12am GMT, and then the conflict between the 2 chipsets' clocks were at least on "real" dates so they could work together. Similar to the Microsoft Zune (I have heard it's the same chip even, but I doubt it). That suggests it could happen again next year and every year until 2012 or until they release a patch for the OS to ignore the clock on the front-end chip.

BTW, when I finally did turn my machine on after Sony gave the green light, the date was indeed wrong, so if I had turned it on a few hours earlier, it would have wrecked my trophies that I spent a few days building up on TFU and forgot to sync.

El Chuxter
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm not being a smartarse, but are these trophies that are just on your system or for everyone to see online?

JediTricks
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
They are available to anyone if you have the linking set up that way, and available to all your PS3 buddies.

Lord Malakite
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not being a smartarse, but are these trophies that are just on your system or for everyone to see online?
Trophies on the PS3 work pretty much work the same way that Achievements do on the Xbox 360. They can be obtained offline for just your system/viewing pleasure, but you can also sync your system up with your PSN profile by going online, which it turn allows your buddies or everyone (depending on how you have the linking set up) to see them. A few games that now support trophies but came out before the trophy system was in place though do require you to connect to the internet when starting up the game. That way it can download and install the trophy patch for the game.

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
was wondering what that message was all about.. i thought perhaps the recent storms knocked out my wireless connection or something....the wife took over my PS3 and has been streamed seasons of Lost from Netflix.

i hope Sony fixes the problem soon.

JediTricks
03-04-2010, 03:51 PM
It's already fixed. If you're still getting a message and lack of service, that's not normal. Try resetting your system clock.