PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 3

Tycho
03-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Isn't Transformers 3 supposed to be slated for 2011? I sure hope so!

I haven't seen rumor-speculation about it, so I figure we'll start the thread and wrap it into the movie discussion as we learn more and finally get to see it.

Following "Pandora" in Avatar, and a huge Autobot / Decepticon battle on earth in TF2, I think the next movie can finally take us offworld to Cybertron!

I'd love to see that and I think the audience will accept that now. TF3's fans are already there as a built-in audience from the first 2 films.

Could TF3 be done in 3-D? That seems to be the way things are headed - and it allows the industry to charge us $15 per movie ticket for glasses that they recycle and most-likely reissue anyway.

Cybertron or another alien world would definitely be a good setting in which to introduce 3-D.

Now the other issue is how to get Shia LeBouf into outerspace - a question that tasks us in the real world as well.

They could have some tragic accident that forces him to be placed into a robot body, tragic for he being forever separated from Megan Fox, which will naturally leave her as being available to all the other human males in the galaxy to compete for (along with Wheelie, I guess).

But to copy Avatar (as a majority aren't original these days - and it was done with Daniel in the 1986 Transformers movie anyway), Shia could do the voice-work for his own Autobot character as he adapts to living the rest of his life as his "avatar" robot - only they should actually put his "soul" into the thing.

I don't want to see him merged with BumbleBee. That's too hokey and does injury to BumbleBee's character. Rather BumbleBee can train Sam to use his robot body the way Arcee did for Daniel in 1986's film.

Now, why bring Lennox and Eps (and probably Simmons) ? Well, perhaps security on Cybertron (Shockwave?) scans for robotic lifeforms, but will not be able to detect unexpected biologicals? It's just a plot-excuse because Michael Bay won't make a movie without his human stars, and they save money versus having even more expensive effects shots.

Oh, and Leo, Maggie and Glenn (the latter two from the first movie) can hack Soundwave, as somebody needs to take him out.

Neuroleptic
03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
3D movies are just not worth it, at least, not for me. I can't see depth so spending 15 bucks for a movie ticket for a feature I can't see suddenly makes going to that particular movie so not worth it.

I realy do worry that movies will head this way all together, because if they do (and I bet this is likely) I'll see the day in my lifetime where I will never go to a movie theater again.

Cybertron however would be fine, and I wouldn't mind having Witwicky go through a similar experience as the character in the original cartoon. However, I think keeping it on earth would probably be best souly for marketability.

All THAT being said, the 2nd Transformer movie just wasn't that good. I'm half dreading the 3rd one.

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
3D is a gimmick. It can't be anything but. Hollywood right now has a bit of an "Andrew Koenig's character from Growing Pains" for 3D, but it's going to fizzle out again like it has every other time they've tried it. They love it because it costs more. Audiences are ambivalent because it costs more.

The only confirmation of anything I've seen is that Prime and Bumblebee will be slightly different looking, no doubt to sell new toys, and that this movie will feature more characters and focus more on the mythology. Course, that's what they said about ROTF, so forgive me if I don't get my hopes up.

Honestly, as lousy as it was, I'd look forward to GIJoe 2, simply because Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander was pretty cool. No one in Transformers was cool.

preacher
03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Cybertron or another alien world would definitely be a good setting in which to introduce 3-D.

Now the other issue is how to get Shia LeBouf into outerspace - a question that tasks us in the real world as well.

They could have some tragic accident that forces him to be placed into a robot body, tragic for he being forever separated from Megan Fox, which will naturally leave her as being available to all the other human males in the galaxy to compete for (along with Wheelie, I guess).

But to copy Avatar (as a majority aren't original these days - and it was done with Daniel in the 1986 Transformers movie anyway), Shia could do the voice-work for his own Autobot character as he adapts to living the rest of his life as his "avatar" robot - only they should actually put his "soul" into the thing.

I don't want to see him merged with BumbleBee. That's too hokey and does injury to BumbleBee's character. Rather BumbleBee can train Sam to use his robot body the way Arcee did for Daniel in 1986's film.

Now, why bring Lennox and Eps (and probably Simmons) ? Well, perhaps security on Cybertron (Shockwave?) scans for robotic lifeforms, but will not be able to detect unexpected biologicals? It's just a plot-excuse because Michael Bay won't make a movie without his human stars, and they save money versus having even more expensive effects shots.

Oh, and Leo, Maggie and Glenn (the latter two from the first movie) can hack Soundwave, as somebody needs to take him out.

The problem is that the Transformers do not travel in ships. They travel "themselves". so there is no way that the humans can get to Cybertron unless the Autobots agree to help humans build ships. Optimus already gave a hell no to the US government when that congressman complained that Prime wasn't sharing their technological advances. The Space Bridge that was used in the original toons has not been introduced except as an ability that Jetfire had. I suppose its possible that the Autobots could make such a space bridge, but why bother? If Starscream is able to fly from Cybertron to Earth in the time it takes a person to sneeze it can't be that far to Cybertron. Right? What could the humans possibly offer in the way of help to a race of beings that could annhilate everyone on Earth at a whim. At least in the toons, they were dependent on us for our fossil fuels. These transformers are too powerful to really give a damn.

Bay has already estabished some pretty strict rules in his "vision". For him to get out of the corner he has painted himself into, he's going to have to cheat. But he does that all the time so I guess it wouldn't bother him that much to throw some more contradictions into the mix. This franchise should seriously make like Spiderman and reboot in about ten years.

Tycho
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Megatron and Starscream did not fly to Cybertron.

The Nemesis was their ship, where The Fallen was waiting for them. It was crashed on some planet near earth - closer than Cybertron I guess.

Yes, Prime would have to commission an Autobot spaceship being built. I provided some excuses for Michael Bay as to why humans would have to be taken with them on this ship.

Taking human passengers is not the same as giving humans the technology, either.

Not only that, the Decepticons could make some sort of deal with humans. It doesn't have to be Megatron or Starscream either. It could be Soundwave or someone else left behind on earth making deals that Megatron didn't authorize.

I'm sure if Swindle appeared, he'd be all over that. Then again, would you make a deal with a Decepticon named Swindle? He'll have to give a fake name in the movie - like Trustmybot. I think the Sham-Wow guy should voice him, too :)

El Chuxter
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Vince Offer voicing Swindle is the single greatest unfounded Transformers 3 rumor yet. Maybe ever.

I'm serious.

figrin bran
03-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I can't handle 3D for extended periods so that would be one more reason for me to not see this film.

Tycho
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
TFW2005 had some concept artwork that Hasbro made them take down.

I didn't see it, but by reading the forums I deduced that TF3 might indeed take place on Cybertron and also feature Junkions.

I wonder how they'll talk since BumbleBee stole Wreck-Gar's voice?

El Chuxter
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
When did Bumblebee talk like Eric Idle or Weird Al?

Tycho
03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
When did Bumblebee talk like Eric Idle or Weird Al?

He uses the radio and satellite reception to communicate, so he talks TV because he has to, while Wreck-Gar did it in the 1986 movie because he was cultured to.

preacher
03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Megatron and Starscream did not fly to Cybertron.

The Nemesis was their ship, where The Fallen was waiting for them. It was crashed on some planet near earth - closer than Cybertron I guess.

:)

I stand corrected. You are right. I didn't know that. That wasn't mentioned in ROTF movie. That I can remember. And how many people read the novelization? Or the comic for that matter?

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
That's wrong, The Fallen had ordered Megs not to use The Nemesis specifically, to send away most of the Decepticons on it and rule Cybertron. Megatron then flew to it, and then Earth, in his own spaceworthy alt mode. That's what the movie comics say. The novel doesn't contradict that, and the movie doesn't say jack squat about who was on it before The Fallen shows up. ROTF was such a mess.

Tycho
03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
That's wrong, The Fallen had ordered Megs not to use The Nemesis specifically,

Why? And where does this information come from?

to send away most of the Decepticons on it

Send them away on The Nemesis? Why?

and rule Cybertron.

Rule over who? Are there citizen-Cybertronians that haven't taken sides in the war?

Megatron then flew to it,

Cybertron or the Nemesis? And the Nemesis was crashed, wasn't it? The ship didn't look very space-worthy in the movie, if that was indeed where they were. If they were on Cybertron, it looked even worse and did not resemble or show enough of the landscape, to make you think you were viewing such an important world in the Transformers mythos.

and then Earth, in his own spaceworthy alt mode. That's what the movie comics say.

I have the comics and I'll have to re-read them, but I'd still like your own opinion on my questions above, JT.

The novel doesn't contradict that, and the movie doesn't say jack squat about who was on it before The Fallen shows up. ROTF was such a mess

Who was on what before The Fallen shows up? The Nemesis or Cybertron?

JediTricks
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Why? And where does this information come from?The IDW movie comic.

Send them away on The Nemesis? Why?Contrivance? So Megatron is alone and has to scorch Cybertron and leave rather than admit defeat?

Rule over who? Are there citizen-Cybertronians that haven't taken sides in the war?This has always been a problem with Transformers really, battling over Cybertron and then Cybertron not only isn't worth battling over since it has nothing for them, but it turns out to be a guy who can take care of himself as long as they wake him up. :p

Cybertron or the Nemesis? And the Nemesis was crashed, wasn't it? The ship didn't look very space-worthy in the movie, if that was indeed where they were. If they were on Cybertron, it looked even worse and did not resemble or show enough of the landscape, to make you think you were viewing such an important world in the Transformers mythos.Megs flies from Cybertron to the crashed Nemesis and then from there to Earth where he crashes in the arctic before "now" of the movies.

You know, you called me on the phone the other day explaining how ROTF made so much more sense than Turdformers 1, shouldn't YOU have these answers if it had less plot holes as you contested?

Who was on what before The Fallen shows up? The Nemesis or Cybertron?The Nemesis. Those are the entities who were on The Nemesis before The Fallen shows up in the movie continuity. Just read this: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Nemesis_%28ROTF%29

Tycho
03-17-2010, 01:41 AM
The IDW movie comic.

That's the only ROTF comic (IDW), right? So I suppose that is the one that I have. I do NOT have the first movie's comic. I don't normally collect and read Transformers comics because the continuities are all disjointed and I like to avoid "getting into ONE more thing"... (It always starts that way...there were only 9 POTF2 figures and 10 Playmates TNG figures to begin with, right?)

Contrivance? So Megatron is alone and has to scorch Cybertron and leave rather than admit defeat?

Are you saying this, or is it "fact" laid out in one of the TF comics? Which one? The first movie one, or is there a prequel to the first movie's comic, too?

What happened? Megatron deliberately destroyed Cybertron?

I thought the story is that Megatron is with the originally "legitimate" government?

There were 7 or so "Primes" who were the evolved and designated elite leaders of Cybertron - possibly created by the AllSpark or perhaps originating some other way. Then perhaps the AllSpark created other life.

6 Primes were betrayed by the 7th (The Fallen) who wanted to sacrafice Earth as resources and options for the Cybertronians' survival were running out.

The war started. There was an 8th Prime "created" somehow (Optimus) who was the rightful heir, but The Fallen continued to rule as he was "legit" so far as being one of the original Primes.

The rebels that wanted freedom from The Fallen's tyrannical rule followed Optimus (guys like Ironhide).

This has always been a problem with Transformers really, battling over Cybertron and then Cybertron not only isn't worth battling over since it has nothing for them, but it turns out to be a guy who can take care of himself as long as they wake him up. :p

Who can take care of himself? Cybertron is alive like Unicron? Or are you referring to Megatron who was twice left "sleeping" or "dead" - in the Arctic for 1000s of years and later in the deep sea after his defeat in the first movie?

Megs flies from Cybertron to the crashed Nemesis and then from there to Earth where he crashes in the arctic before "now" of the movies.

I think people were referring to where Megatron goes after he is revived in ROTF. He meets with The Fallen and Starscream somewhere. I'd assumed it was on the Nemesis and that this ship was crashed, and somewhere far closer to earth lest he needed to use a space bridge (which was always a stupid concept and made worse since apparently Jetfire can just create one out of thin air).

You know, you called me on the phone the other day explaining how ROTF made so much more sense than Turdformers 1, shouldn't YOU have these answers if it had less plot holes as you contested?

I didn't say I had all the answers. I have answers to other stupid questions about the movie. Though I forget what they were at this exact moment.

preacher
03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
OK. I'm totally confused. But that's ok. Let me throw another grenade into the mix. There was a pack-in that came with the 1st Transformers movie DVD that was like a mini-prequel to the events that happened in the 1st movie. This came with the DVD that was sold at Walmart.

In that version of the events Megatron left Cybertron in his alt mode to chase down the cube. He arrived at Earth (I don't remember anything about Nemesis) and when he entered the atmosphere, his navigation computer started malfunctioning. Presumably from overheating I guess. He lands in the Arctic and falls into the fissure.

Your discussion makes the point I mentioned. Who in their right mind, in the general public can follow any of this? Even with the knowledge you two have on this subject, you can't rationalize what is going on!

JimJamBonds
06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I heard this morning that T3 will be shot (or at least part of it) in Chicago and in addition to that they will be doing some shooting in Milwaukee. There will be open auditions this Saturday (don't know when or where), so if you want to be in it then get to the Brew City.

JediTricks
06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Michael Bay has realized that he cannot shoot in 1 city too long, or the natives will find out and pelt him with rocks.

Tycho
06-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Michael Bay has realized that he cannot shoot in 1 city too long, or the natives will find out and pelt him with rocks.

See: it's like I've always been saying - Michael Bay IS a rock star!!!

Darth Metalmute
06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, perhaps security on Cybertron (Shockwave?) scans for robotic lifeforms, but will not be able to detect unexpected biologicals?

Shockwave has been confirmed.

Tycho
06-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I never liked Shockwave's alt form so I never appreciated Shockwave as a kid.

He was a knock-off for Megatron's character - another toy gun Transformer.

If Michael Bay makes Shockwave turn into something more interesting, then I'm all for him.

As an adult, I look at a character who serves as a home-base commander with much more appreciation.

The character.

I would alter his entire appearance though:

NO: to only one eye. He is not a drone-automaton, but a sentinent. He should have the similar movie-style-insectoid-alien appearence in his facial features as the rest of the Bayformers.

NO: turning into a handgun. A cannon or tank, or another Cybertronian fighter jet like Megatron's original form would be fine.

THEN: Shockwave would be cool.

While the Autobots need Wheeljack, Hound, and Mirage - which would be simplistic to deliver, the Decepticons need a lot more new characters and perhaps some that are created just for the Bayformers film lore:

Thundercracker
Skywarp
Ramjet
Thrust
Dirge
Laserbeak (perhaps a realistic looking bird? Like Alice was a human pretender?)
Swindle - could be a great character as a Decepticon con-artist.
Blast-Off or Astrotrain - rather the latter as a Triple-Changer!!!

I think the Constructicons should return for another appearance. My take on it is the Navy railgun dismantled Devastator but did not actually kill the combiners - or Hook could join the team.

JediTricks
06-25-2010, 04:14 PM
See: it's like I've always been saying - Michael Bay IS a rock star!!!
You're still ever the master of self-delusion, eh Tycho? That explains why you claim you enjoyed the first 2 movies.

Tycho
06-25-2010, 05:28 PM
The key word here is "enjoy."

I am indeed always trying to enjoy myself.

JediTricks
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
No, the key word here is "self-delusion."

My point is that you are TRYING to enjoy these sorts of things, regardless of their quality. "Being beaten hurt a lot, but at least while I was on the ground when the entire gang was pummeling me, I got to see the moon in the sky, and I was outdoors on a crisp summer night while they were stomping me out, so I really enjoyed that beating." - You

Tycho
06-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe I enjoy dellusions :D

Like I deluded myself into thinking your reply quip would be entertaining to read so I clicked back on this thread here. :p

JimJamBonds
06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Like I deluded myself into thinking your reply quip would be entertaining to read so I clicked back on this thread here. :p

There are support groups for that you know. :D

preacher
07-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I never liked Shockwave's alt form so I never appreciated Shockwave as a kid.

He was a knock-off for Megatron's character - another toy gun Transformer.

If Michael Bay makes Shockwave turn into something more interesting, then I'm all for him.

As an adult, I look at a character who serves as a home-base commander with much more appreciation.

The character.

I would alter his entire appearance though:

NO: to only one eye. He is not a drone-automaton, but a sentinent. He should have the similar movie-style-insectoid-alien appearence in his facial features as the rest of the Bayformers.

NO: turning into a handgun. A cannon or tank, or another Cybertronian fighter jet like Megatron's original form would be fine.

THEN: Shockwave would be cool.

Shockwave consistently kicked Megatron's *** in the comic and was the leader of the decepticons for a large portion of the comic run. His one eye is iconic. He IS a drone. A logic driven drone without a hint of emotion. He has no character. Is not driven by any ambition. The reason he usurps Megatron isn't because he wants the mantle its because logic demands it be so since he is more powerful than Megatron and better equiped to complete the Decepticon mission. He is like Skynet.

Yes to the one eye.

Yes to the flying gun.

Shockwave IS cool. Any Bayification, the kind that mucked up Skids, and gave Prime lips would miss the point of the character. His design is one the best of all the transformers. His look matches his character. Dead and cold and the only hint of life is a diode in the middle of his head (symbolism of Shockwave's binary thought Yes No, no shade of gray) that flashes as he speaks.

Tycho
07-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I liked most of what you posted and reconsidered my position.

Good job.

However:

Yes to the flying gun.

NO WAY! Gosh no! This sucks so bad! It always did.

I didn't want to buy Shockwave as a kid because I thought this was silly. I certainly have had only 30 some years to reinforce my position on this one!

bobafrett
07-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Transformers 3 is currently filming here in Chicago!

Tycho
07-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Barry, you should try to be an extra in the movie!

That would be so awesome.

preacher
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I liked most of what you posted and reconsidered my position.

Good job.

However:

NO WAY! Gosh no! This sucks so bad! It always did.

I didn't want to buy Shockwave as a kid because I thought this was silly. I certainly have had only 30 some years to reinforce my position on this one!

But it was this very mode that defeated Megatron. And I mean decisively. Now if they make shockwave the drone that follows Megatron's every whim (the one from the toon) then yeah there is no point.

Shockwave's alt form a ship. He pursued the Arc and Nemesis to Earth in this form. So your notion of spaceship is spot on. I would make it more like space-battleship yamato (Star Blazers to the U.S.) with one huge opening in the front that is the muzzle of his Megatron-kicking weapon of mass destruction.

El Chuxter
07-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Shockwave didn't defeat Megatron. Sparkplug did, with the poisonous fuel conversion he made for the Decepticons. Shockwave defeated a couple of underpowered Autobots, then chose not to return Megatron to full operation (and proceeded to beat him up in his weakened state for almost a year).

preacher
07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes I remember that. In the end the spacebridge did in Megatron and Ratchet for a looong time.

My point was that some of the aspects of Shockwave that Tycho touched on, and that he wanted nixed, are character based which as a writer he should appreciate.

Tycho
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I hear what you're saying.

Now (hopefully) you could like my own novel one day, but you might not care for every character I created in it either. That's just another possibility.

bobafrett
07-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Here is a link to some pictures from the upcoming movie. I listen to WGN and today they are supposed to be filming right outside the WGN radio window.

http://www.wgnradio.com/ct-talk-transformers-closing-0716--20100715,0,3031767.story

Tycho
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Here's a line from Transformers 3 as filmed in Chicago:

MEGATRON: "Where is Doctor Richard Kimble?!!!" ;)

Nice link / picture Barry. You need to go down there and get into the movie!

DarthQuack
12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
New trailer (http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhF4ki32A5JlCYic74) is up!

Tycho feel free to dissect.

El Chuxter
12-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Alpha Trion? They dragged you into the Bayverse, too?

I'm so sorry, sir.

Beast
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
New trailer (http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhF4ki32A5JlCYic74) is up!

Tycho feel free to dissect.
I just watched this a bit ago. Good lord, I hate when they do stuff like this.

To be more specific, I am referring to showing some big off panel event during stuff like the Moon Landing. Or other big historic event. Having a crashed Space Ark on the moon is just mehtastic. And while I have been kind to the series so far, even after the fairly painful TF2... I sense nothing good coming of this. I see pain and rage.

Tycho
12-09-2010, 03:07 AM
It looked cool to me.

There's an element to it that seemed like it should be the 1st film though - the flashback to 1969.

This looks like one of the first encounters between man and machine (Neil Armstrong on the moon).

I don't mind writing historical fiction. That's what I do. But sci-fi spins on history are extreme of course.

Now it seemed a lot like a "haunted ship," in the way the crashed ship on the Aliens' colony world (LV-326 I think?) was. That's a very different approach if this is indeed an Autobot ship since Autobots aren't homicidal.

However, if Alpha Trion or other Autobots are aboard, it could still be a mixed crew (some Decepticons, too - perhaps locked in combat when the ship crashed just like they were in the first episode of G1).

I don't think there will be a story in 1969 / 70's - except that perhaps the ship and something (or someone) becoming active on board will have been attracted there by the sun-exploder or the All-Spark - or Megatron.

Here's what we know of TF history:

1. The Fallen visited earth and tried to turn on the sun-exploder device.
2. The other Primes revolted and buried themselves with the Matrix.
3. The Fallen was wounded and unable to turn the harvester on w.o. the Matrix.
4. The All-Spark was being fought over and BumbleBee hurled it away.*
5. It landed on earth.*
6. Megatron tracked it to earth and got stuck in the ice.*
7. Archibald Witwicky discovered Megatron
8. Sector-7 discovered the All-Spark
9. Sector-7 decides to move Megatron to the All-Spark in Hoover Dam.
10. Niel Armstrong discovers (The Ark?)
11. BumbleBee tracks the All-Spark to earth

Transformers 1 takes place.
Transformers ROTF takes place.
Transformers DOTM takes place (most of it)

* These events could have happend First (replacing 1-3 with 4-6, to then be followed by what I numbered 1-3).

I suspect that the franchise will continue, perhaps without Michael Bay, and maybe without Shia LeBouf, Josh Dumehal, and John Turturro, amongst the rest of the cast. Peter Cullen and Frank Welker will continue to voice act, though, I'm sure.

McG might be a good director to step in and make more TF movies.

autumnsdescent
12-09-2010, 06:58 AM
OR perhaps they could do a reboot a-la Spiderman after Dark of the Moon and just start over, giving us original G1 fans what we've wanted all along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdZ-yjxHLI

Maradona
12-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Could that have been Unicron in the trailer?

Darth Metalmute
12-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I just watched this a bit ago. Good lord, I hate when they do stuff like this.

To be more specific, I am referring to showing some big off panel event during stuff like the Moon Landing. Or other big historic event. Having a crashed Space Ark on the moon is just mehtastic. And while I have been kind to the series so far, even after the fairly painful TF2... I sense nothing good coming of this. I see pain and rage.

I don't know... I kind of like it when they alter historic reasonings to tell there story as long as they don't alter histroy itself and it's well researched.

Take this moon landing for instance. No one really knows exactly what happened on the moon. They could have found life on the moon or traces of life and not told the public. It would explain missions Apollo 12 through 17. However it wouldn't explain why we stopped going to the moon and how come no one saw the craft from a telescope before they landed.

Beast
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Could that have been Unicron in the trailer?
Apperantly it's the Transformer's ancestor... Alpha Trion.

But yes, it's assumed that this film will include Unicron in some shape or form.

El Chuxter
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
He will have a scrotum the size of the planet Venus.

preacher
12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Some concept art of Shockwave.

Don't know how authentic this is, but it looks legit to me. He has his one eye! Yay! :D And Tycho, you'll be happy to note that none of the alt forms is a gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rfkb_tbSlo

Tycho
12-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Shockwave is a Pod Racer?

A couple of those pictures made me think that.

The tank would be cool - in tune with what Megatron has become.

It would make sense. The Fallen's lieutenants might have included Shockwave with Megatron, though Megatron got promoted over Shockwave.

JediTricks
12-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Chux, you're gonna love this, Hasbro has retconned and is now saying that Alpha Trion, like The Fallen before him, is one of the original 13 and is a multiverse singularity, meaning every Alpha Trion in every canon is the SAME GUY as the G1 character. And worse, he's in the ROTF canon through the Cyber Missions online content as the Cybertronian historian.

Anyway, I'm with Beast on why that trailer was crummy. But Bay doesn't care whether or not he craps on history, look at Pearl Harbor and its whopping 5.4/10 rating on IMDB and its 26% "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes (apparently Bay's second-worst reviewed movie after ROTF).

preacher
12-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Chux, you're gonna love this, Hasbro has retconned and is now saying that Alpha Trion, like The Fallen before him, is one of the original 13 and is a multiverse singularity, meaning every Alpha Trion in every canon is the SAME GUY as the G1 character. And worse, he's in the ROTF canon through the Cyber Missions online content as the Cybertronian historian.

Anyway, I'm with Beast on why that trailer was crummy. But Bay doesn't care whether or not he craps on history, look at Pearl Harbor and its whopping 5.4/10 rating on IMDB and its 26% "rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes (apparently Bay's second-worst reviewed movie after ROTF).

Wha? Trion has appeared in other transformer continuities? Why? He was a lame geriatric transformer. When will the Kremzeeeek make its return? Or how about Chum Li, the collector of various rare animal species who tried to collect Optimus as a trophy. How about the Powerglide and the girl that fell in love with him?

I'm just waiting for the reveal that the Autobots are really the villains and the Decepticons are the heroes.

Darth Metalmute
12-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I read somewhere that Sentiel Prime (Optimus father) is to be in this movie. I thought the whole premise of TF2 was that Prime was the last of the Primes.

I'm just waiting for the reveal that the Autobots are really the villains and the Decepticons are the heroes.

I think that happens in this movie when Optimus eats Sam.

El Chuxter
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
This whole thing about the "Original 13" existing in all realities I've heard, and dismissed as more bull from Hasbro. It doesn't make sense. The live action movies cannot exist in the same reality as any other TF universe, period. And I just got the Ironhide trade paperback in the mail last night (funny how the main comic sucks but the ancilliary ones are usually quite good), and that insane, beardless Alpha Trion is certainly not the same as any other version.

But WFC, G1, and Prime are all the same universe, too, according to Hasbro, despite this being totally impossible, so I figure it's more marketing junk.

JediTricks
12-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Wha? Trion has appeared in other transformer continuities? Why? He was a lame geriatric transformer. When will the Kremzeeeek make its return? Or how about Chum Li, the collector of various rare animal species who tried to collect Optimus as a trophy. How about the Powerglide and the girl that fell in love with him?

I'm just waiting for the reveal that the Autobots are really the villains and the Decepticons are the heroes.Why use him? Because some Transformers fans can't let go of anything related to G1. He is part of RID, the Unicron Trilogy, Shattered Glass, Animated, ROTF, and even the new canon which currently is represented by TF:Prime.

But WFC, G1, and Prime are all the same universe, too, according to Hasbro, despite this being totally impossible, so I figure it's more marketing junk.I told you you'd love it. ;) WFC/Prime/Exodus are not the same canon/universe as G1.

preacher
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Why use him? Because some Transformers fans can't let go of anything related to G1. He is part of RID, the Unicron Trilogy, Shattered Glass, Animated, ROTF, and even the new canon which currently is represented by TF:Prime.

OK...but what is his appeal? Theres got to be another reason than because he is G1 related. Dr Ocaville is G1 too, but I don't see anyone clamoring for him. They are equally lame. I listed a few others in my previous post. What did he do in any of those continuities that would be considered cool?

Tycho
12-20-2010, 01:05 AM
I will go with the movie-universe, since it's the live-action I always wanted as a kid (I loved the scene when Blackout arrives in Qatar - that's exactly how I would have pictured it). But the movie-verse is also short and covers very little material, so there's not a big learning curve.

Quite the opposite, I'm almost a Star Wars chronology expert and I have kept up with all of that - and it's maybe 85% or more consistent.

Bay's Pearl Harbor is a great movie that I'm proud to own and actually watch. Because of that film, I'd very seriously consider him to direct motion-picture adaptations of my novels, which I'd like to be done "rock-video-style," and I think Bay used to direct music videos.

Bay is not writing this stuff. Unfortunately, I can say with certainty, that I myself could write better Transformers stories, though I am only familiar with the G1 cartoon show and would not necessarily stick too closely with that - but it would be closer to the continuity than the Bay films.

I wished Orcci and Kurtzman had consulted me on their stories for TF1 and 2. I would have left much as they'd written it, but changed some things significantly, too.

Maybe I should write a new thread (in what forum category?) about how I would have changed Bay's films.

I guess I'll do it in General Disc. (later - I'm hungry) though a moderator might see fit to remove that thread and tack in on here.

But sorry Chux - there would be no Dinobots.

El Chuxter
12-20-2010, 01:20 AM
That's okay. The Dinobots would try too hard to save the Bayverse from itself, and wind up getting frustrated (Grimlock and Swoop) or confused (the other three) and leaving, anyway. :D

Truth be told, as popular as the character is, I find it odd that there are two movies out, one forthcoming, possibly more, and no indication of Grimlock in some form other than a T-rex.

Tycho
12-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Don't worry. It's a Michael Bay film. There will be a lot of rex ;)

JediTricks
12-20-2010, 09:12 PM
OK...but what is his appeal? Theres got to be another reason than because he is G1 related. Dr Ocaville is G1 too, but I don't see anyone clamoring for him. They are equally lame. I listed a few others in my previous post. What did he do in any of those continuities that would be considered cool?No idea, maybe name recognizability, maybe they wrote a generic character who fit his persona the closest, perhaps it was a name in a hat.

El Chuxter
12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
They did an amazing job of bringing the somewhat austere, borderline pacifist mathemetician Skids to life in the second. I recognized him immediately, long before they named him on screen. I expect the similarities in the movie version of Alpha Trion to go far beyond the beard. :rolleyes:

Who wants to take bets on whether Alpha Trion farts onscreen, is a racist stereotype, or pees on a random human?

Beast
12-21-2010, 12:20 AM
What's weird is I don't hate that stuff in all films. But it depends on the film.

Like Watchmen for instance, I didn't get in a rage with the reveal of Comedian on the grassy knoll shooting Kennedy. But then in that case, that is an actual conspiracy theory. Not that I buy into it in real life. And the movie is clearly set in an alternate reality. Since you have Nixon elected multiple times and such. Where as Bayformers is like dropping the characters into the real world. I dunno. Maybe it's just the Bayfluence that bugs the hell out of me. :)

JediTricks
12-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Watchmen takes place in an alternate universe, that alone carries it I think. It's when filmmakers say they know better than the rest of us, that they can tell stories within large events of our shared context, that's what bugs me. The hubris of someone who can use one of man's greatest achievements as a storytelling gimmick, to turn what these brave men did into playthings of a crappy story, that's what I think gets under the skin.

Tycho
12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Hasbro confirmed to TFW2005 that the truck is indeed Megatron. (It looks like Onslaught).

He will wear a hoodie to cover half his face where Optimus Prime ripped him, so in robot form, he'll sort of resemble Grievous' body guards (El Chuxter will love this!).

Why can't he fix himself? They can scan other vehicles and turn themselves into perfect replicas. Doesn't Megatron have an old photograph of himself?

Darth Metalmute
12-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Why can't he fix himself? They can scan other vehicles and turn themselves into perfect replicas. Doesn't Megatron have an old photograph of himself?

I didn't think baycepticons could cast reflections of themselves in mirrors or photographs.;)

Beast
12-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Here's pics of what Tycho was referring to about Megatron. Bleh.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/23/keep-trucking-megatrons-new-look-for-transformers-3/

Gotta love how they manage to make the film series even worse with each installment.

Darth Metalmute
12-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Here's pics of what Tycho was referring to about Megatron. Bleh.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/23/keep-trucking-megatrons-new-look-for-transformers-3/

Gotta love how they manage to make the film series even worse with each installment.

I kinda like the toy though. Especially the hood over the head and arm.

Tycho
12-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah. I really like this Megatron, too. In fact, being that his alt-form is an earth-mode, I think this is the best one.

G1 - He was a gun. Useless to those who don't like the fantasy that he can alter his size. Nevertheless, he's a great character.

Movie 1 - He was a Cybertronian attack jet. The toy's transformation didn't quite work and he was just a thing with wings - with his feet sticking out behind him (worse than Starscream).

Movie 2 - He was a Cybertronian FLYING tank. While I liked "his cameo" in The A-Team movie, tanks don't fly or have wings. At least they could have coopted Blitzwing and made that robot / tripple-changer the new Megatron. In any case, the tank alt form was an improvement over the jet in terms of overall fear-factor. I liked the way Megatron rips through the dirt roads towards the forrest fight with Prime in ROTF. The toy came out really nice, too -both Leader and Voyager. A big improvement over the first one (Leader Class).

Movie 3 - Now this is cool. The cloth reminds me of Grievous' Magna Guards and the alt form is nice. They sort of coopted Onslaught, but the Constructicons can be the main combiner in the movies. It would ruin Devastator's uniqueness in the films if Bruticus and Superion, amongst others like Menacor and Defensor joined the story. The movies should focus more on the current cast of Cybertronians' characters, rather than additions to the Transformers technology (other than tripple-changing which would look really cool).

Now I want a Transformers cast list to complete the following:

Autobots..........Decepticons

Optimus...........Megatron
Bumblebee.......Starscream
Ironhide...........Soundwave
Ratchet............Long Haul?
SideSwipe........Scrapper?
Mudflap............MixMaster?
Skids...............Rampage?
Jolt..................Scavenger?
????.................Overload?
????.................Hightower?

There is an AUTOBOT Ferrari. Who??? (Hot Rod most likely? Groan....maybe)

There are the Wreckers. Who are they? (They use Wheeljack, Smokescreen, and Swerve's G1 colors.)

The cast needs:

Wheeljack.......Skywarp
Hound.............Thundercracker
Mirage.............Astrotrain

I don't know that they need to go to G1 "Generation 2" (Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Springer / Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge). I like these characters, but the above are well established G1 characters that have been clearly lacking - and all 6 of those listed above are seriously cool!

I left Rumble off the list because we did have Frenzy - but it's not the same thing for sure. No pile drivers? Those were cool. Rumble could be a much larger bot and some kind of military vehicle so he'd have a reason for the pile drivers (or he could be a Constructicon type, though not part of the combiner).

As for the Constructicons. I took it that the Navy's "rail gun" dissasembled him, but not necessarily killed all the Constructicons that comprised him. Devastor could be back and he should be. I'd like to see an example of how Megatron holds power over THAT!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah. I really like this Megatron, too. In fact, being that his alt-form is an earth-mode, I think this is the best one.No, he's a starting wide receiver for the Detroit Lions.

There is an AUTOBOT Ferrari. Who??? (Hot Rod most likely? Groan....maybe)I seem to recall that Overdrive was a red Ferrari toy TF.

I left Rumble off the list because we did have Frenzy - but it's not the same thing for sure. No pile drivers? Those were cool. Rumble could be a much larger bot and some kind of military vehicle so he'd have a reason for the pile drivers (or he could be a Constructicon type, though not part of the combiner).Would Rumble/Frenzy have to be CDs now? Or MP3 player earbuds? :rolleyes:

Tycho
12-29-2010, 01:10 AM
With product-placement marketing in movies, Rumble would be a vibrating i-Phone.

Darth Metalmute
12-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I think I heard Wheeljack was going to be in it.

The wikipedia page for the movie has a good list of characters if you want to check it out. And if you have a problem with some of it, we can change it later.:twisted:

Tycho
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
The Trailer is out! It looks awesome! Lots of shooting and stuff blowing up with big robots fighting each other - exactly what I want!

Slicker
04-29-2011, 08:21 PM
The Trailer is out! It looks awesome! Lots of shooting and stuff blowing up with big robots fighting each other - exactly what I want!And exactly the ONLY movies Michael Bay can make. :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Yes, I've been telling you guys that michael bay is gifted

Tycho
07-03-2011, 02:31 AM
I've seen transformers 3 twice now. it's awesome!

bigbarada
07-03-2011, 08:12 AM
I watched it the other night and it was okay. The girl who replaced Megan Fox turned out to be the least objectionable human character in the film and Shia Labeouf's screaming is getting more annoying with each film.

Robot effects were good, but a little too much to take in with only one viewing. I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD and see if some of the action makes more sense.

Why were Sam's parents even in this movie?

Also the movie was 2.5 hours long, which meant that the 7:00 showing didn't get out until 9:30 PM and I had to be at work at 10 PM. It's a 20 minute drive to my work, so I didn't even get a chance to eat dinner because of the length of the film. So I was pretty annoyed by that and it might have affected my impression of the film.

Tycho
07-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Can we discuss spoilers now? I have a lot to comment on. And yes, BigB, Carly's character was very well used in the movie and her role was well played.

Darth Metalmute
07-04-2011, 07:34 AM
And yes, BigB, Carly's character was very well used in the movie and her role was well played.

That's a good way to put "She's hot, and she looked good at being hot"

Darth Metalmute
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Can we discuss spoilers now? I have a lot to comment on.

My only problem with the movie:

So Megatron and Sentinel Prime made a deal to bring Cybertron to earth before SP crashed. Then Megatron would have to wait for Optimus to come revive him with the Matrix of Leadership. Except no one knew where the Matrix of Leadership was because before any of the bots were around, the Primes hid it in a remote location to protect it, which just happened to be Earth, to keep it from the Fallen. Of course if you remove Revenge of the Fallen from the equation it all works out in a neat little package. Which is probably Bay's response except for the fact that Sam reminds us an anyone who would listen (and even those who won't) that he saved the world twice.

Other than that, I thought it was a good movie.

preacher
07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
More of the same. Plot wise it's definitely my favorite. Critics have pointed out continuity problems, but I was able to explain these holes to myself so that they really weren't loopholes. At least moreso than the very obvious continuity issues between the first and second movies.

Hard to see how they continue from here and who the new antagonist will be. But if the latest rumors are true Spielberg may direct thevnext one and Jason statham may be the lead man to replace the beef.

El Chuxter
07-13-2011, 12:58 AM
I think the Autobots need to repair Bumblebee's speech module, adapt to more robotic forms so they can be more easily identified from Decepticons by humans, and enlist the assistance of renowned Autobot hero Grimlock (who takes the alt-form of a robotic dinosaur because he's too arrogant to stick with the "in disguise" motif) to fight the crazed Decepticon mystic Bludgeon, who is working to revive the long-dead Thunderwing. Starring Michael Clarke Duncan as Grimlock and Alan Rickman as Bludgeon.

preacher
07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I almost mentioned bludgeon and thunderwing as possible antagonists. But then you would have to throw rat bat into the mix as well. Maybe straxus or jiaxus from g2. Scourge is a possibility. I mean the producers have already taped dreamweaver continuity with the fallen. I thought the appearance of scourge in dream weave comics was pretty cool.

I don't get why gridlock is such a stretch for the movies. I mean it's like the weird serpent ship, laser beak, ravage, the insecticon combiner was much different. Gridlock wouldn't have to be t Rex in the strictest sense, just make a resemble a bipedal monstrosity with huge teeth and that would do it. And I just noticed grimlock is misspelled. Stupid apple autocorrect.

Darth Metalmute
07-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Last I heard was a reboot. It's kind of hard to turn Megatron into Galvatron without a backbone. Then again, which Decepticon has one?

preacher
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Nope. Not according to paramount producer don Murphy.
http://screenrant.com/transformers-4-reboot-trilogy-rob-122652/

JediTricks
07-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Don Murphy is to be taken with a grain of salt. As I understand it, he's producer only in that he facilitated Paramount getting the license, he is I believe the actual license holder to make the movies.