PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry or Droid or iPhone?

Tycho
03-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Verizon is perstering me that I can get a new phone again.

I can probably get a Blackberry or Droid (after discounts and rebates) for only $50.

There's nothing wrong with my old-school LG flip phone and I'm not really looking for a new phone.

I hate text messaging, especially getting into "conversations" via texting. I can multi-task with quick phone calls and I don't even have to look at a keypad. Having all the keys instead of having to triple-hit some letters on my LG might be a little more convenient, but I simply don't like to devote all my attention to typing unless the circumstance warrants it - like passing an address or a note at a time when a phone call is inappropriate.

I know - girls I may like are text-fiends. I need to adapt my game a little. Perhaps write down good flirt-lines for texts (so sad that's what it's coming to). I try to "train ladies" - and friends even - to check their voicemail. I don't want to text you!

As for Facebook? (or even MySpace) Maybe I'd be more inclined to do mobile updates if I had a larger screen to view aps on. But then I don't reallly want anything bigger than my tiny flip-phone to carry around with me. I guess slim would be a good attribute. I might post pics or video then.

SSG? I might get online here via mobile. But since I can already browse the web on my flip phone, and I mostly post in forums here, I like to do so from my desk with my large natural keyboard I type 100 wpm on which I connect to my laptop with a USB cable (I've barely ever used the built-in keyboard on my laptop even).

So I may or may not get a Blackberry or a Droid. Which do you think is better and why?

BTW - they've offered me this deal for over a year now actually - so it's not like I won't have the chance later.

mtriv73
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I've never played with a blackberry, but I got a motorola droid (not the Eris)about a month ago and absolutely love it. I'd never surfed on my phone, or texted either until I got it. Now it doesn't leave my side. I opted for the Droid over the blackberry for the touchscreen. I think the screen is a little bigger on the droid as well. Both have regular keyboards (the droid has a touch one as well.) Plus, I've never heard a bad thing about the Droid or it's google based operating system. It still hasn't crashed. The only con is, with a lot of use you can burn through a battery pretty quickly. I recharge nightly now as opposed to every 3-4 days with my old Razor. I guess that's to be expected though. On days I don't use it much, the battery level only goes down 10% or so. I think you'll be happy with either one, but I highly recommend the droid.

Darth Metalmute
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Personally, I would go with the Droid. I have had limited usage with a Blackberry and do not care for the operations system.

My neighbor got a Droid the other day and it is fantastic and easy to use.

Tycho
03-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I also remembered an appointment calendar would be handy on my portable device.

And I do not like it when your phone bumps in the pocket and dials the last person who texted or phoned you.

El Chuxter
03-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't know much about either, and don't care, since I'd limit my internet overuse to the home computer anyway to avoid spending way too much time on it (as opposed to the mere "too much time" now), but how can you, one of the most compulsive Star Wars collectors on Earth, pick a phone named after a Strawberry Shortcake character over one named after Artoo-Detoo?

mtriv73
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I also remembered an appointment calendar would be handy on my portable device.

And I do not like it when your phone bumps in the pocket and dials the last person who texted or phoned you.

For the calendar, both have it but blackberry's is probably better. I use mine a lot but it's kind of a pain typing everything in. There's probably some way to sync it to my work calendar, but that would involve me actually reading instructions.

As far as the butt dialing goes, as long as you hit the lock button before putting it away (which doesn't take long to get in the habit of doing) you're fine.

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Tycho, IIRC, you don't have a data plan on your account, either phone would require an additional data plan charge. At this rate, you will be outspending a similar account with another carrier by double. Make sure whichever phone you get won't cost you more.

Blackberry is the country's most popular phone, it's proven and has years of support behind it, as well as apps designed for it. It also has dedicated physical, tactile device input (aka real keys) which, for someone who hasn't kept pace with phones and tech lately, is a big plus. It's less fragile than the Droid too, because it's not all screen, and the BB's screen is hidden behind a plastic window which is nice. It's got a business-oriented theme so if you want to send emails or do calendar stuff, it's centered around that. The touchscreen BB is garbage, stay away from it, laggy and gimmicky. The drawbacks are it's meant to be left on all the time as it's slow to boot up; the Micro SD card for photos is behind the battery so it can't be removed easily; the buttons take a little getting used to.

The Droid is part of a burgeoning Google Android smartphone operating system market, so it's still finding its place. It's all screen, but also has a slide-out keyboard (though reviews say the keyboard is too flat to make it usable). It doesn't support bluetooth voice dialing which is one of the key things I do with my headset. The Droid also uses the OS for its phone functions, which is going to be VERY confusing for you since you're a few generations back in phone use (this is not meant as an insult, just recognizing what will work best for you). It also has pretty small internal storage and no way to store apps on the SD card. Positives include a decent 5 megapixel camera with camcorder function; it's got a good touchscreen which can be attractive to girls IF you learn to use it in exciting ways; good battery life; good call quality; and it is licensed from Lucasfilm for using the "Droid" name.

I suggest you don't make any decisions until you find out about what it'll cost you in plan fees (data, gps, I think Verizon might require a blackberry fee too but I'm not sure). Also, research the phones you are interested in on CNET: http://www.cnet.com

As far as the butt dialing goes, as long as you hit the lock button before putting it away (which doesn't take long to get in the habit of doing) you're fine.
If you have the case (my step-dad's BB came with one) then it locks the phone when you put it in.

mtriv73
03-15-2010, 01:47 PM
So what did you decide to get and do you like it?

JimJamBonds
03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Tycho, IIRC, you don't have a data plan on your account, either phone would require an additional data plan charge. At this rate, you will be outspending a similar account with another carrier by double. Make sure whichever phone you get won't cost you more.

Good call JT, I had the same thought as well when I read the initial post in this thread. That data plan is a nice extra 'hidden' cost that most don't think about when getting one of those types of phones.

Tycho, as far as "what would JJB do" if you don't truly need those extra features (which you more of less said above) I personally wouldn't get a new phone, instead keep rocking what you are already rocking.

A number of years ago I upgraded to a flip phone and needed to get a data/text package for 6 months inorder to get the phone at a given price. After those 6 months I found myself hooked and didn't give up that extra charge. This continued for a couple of years and another phone or two until about 18 months ago I upgraded to an Instict (Sprint). With that I have increased web usage, gps and all sorts of other great stuff. The thing is I don't truly need that stuff. While I like the ability to check my email on my phone or check the weather before going out for a run etc none of that stuff is really needed. If I'd get a 'lower' phone I could dump that extra charge and save a nice chunk of change.

However as I said above I've become hooked on those extra features and I can't really see myself giving those up. So whenever somebody I know talks about upgrading to a blackberry or whatever I say DON'T since you more then likely don't need those extra services (although they are nice!).

JediTricks
03-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Tycho does need a new phone. He wants to do texting, but doesn't have the feel of T9 so he needs a keyboard. Also, his phone is not that new and its battery doesn't last long anymore.

Warped
03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
It's like you both are from the same state and know each other.

DarthQuack
03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
iPhone. That's what I've got. :)

morpheus282
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
If he got an iPhone, he'd have to switch to AT&T first and then drink the Apple kool-aid. If he's been with Verizon long enough to get a BB or Droid for $50, both would probably be a bad move.

I've been a Windows mobile junkie for several years, but over the weekend my wife finally admitted that she wanted to trade her flip for a smartphone. Since we were both due for an upgrade, we took advantage of the BOGO offer Verizon has going on and both got a Droid. I'm only three days in and Windows Phone 7 is really going to have to be spectacular to get me to switch back. The keyboard is great (both physical and virtual) and the app store is great. I'd take one over a Blackberry any day. The only downfall is that you need a 3rd party app to sync with an Exchange account that enforces security on mobile devices.

JimJamBonds
03-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Tycho does need a new phone. He wants to do texting, but doesn't have the feel of T9 so he needs a keyboard. Also, his phone is not that new and its battery doesn't last long anymore.

Learn the feel of T9, that way you avoid a data pkg etc. :D

JediTricks
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Learn the feel of T9, that way you avoid a data pkg etc. :D
I've been trying to convince him of that for 3 years now to no avail. I must admit though, I do feel freer on my dual-slider's keyboard (it has a qwerty one direction and a dial pad the other direction).

Tycho
03-17-2010, 03:12 AM
It's like you both are from the same state and know each other.

I met JediTricks in person in 1999 when SirSteve came out from Florida to stay with me for Comic Con. I'd first met Steve in person that same year in Denver, at Celebration 1.

We wanted to drive up to LA which is 2 hours north of San Diego (in minimal traffic) and that is the first time I met him in person. He is also one of the first people from this website that I met in person along with El Chuxter and SirSteve obviously.

Chuxter also lives near enough to me that I see him once here and there between long whiles. I could make a day out of visiting all the LA crowd here - I've met many of them now. But unless it's Comic Con time, or they are doing something else in San Diego, I should drive north since everyone's up there.

It's a long drive so I should take Chuxter with me and make a day of it some time. However, when everyone's down for Comic Con, it's much more practical because everyone has something else to do and we all can chat right here. I admit I like phone conversations because I can close my eyes and don't have to stare at a screen - and yeah, you all know how I feel about texting.

Anyway, I hadn't seen JediTricks since 1999 until some time around 2007 I think. He started staying with me for Comic Con in '07, '08, and this past year. He's visited more frequently since I had my kidney transplant and have been recovering. Now that I am, I ought to make the drive to LA at some point. JT's a night owl and I often stay up late, so it's nice to have someone to talk to. It's great because I'm usually very tired by that point I make even less sense than I usually do, so the phone calls help me further solidify my reputation of being insane. :D But since my medical struggles we've talked almost every week and become much better friends as we've gotten to know (or tolerate) each other a little more.

Anyway, I did not yet get a new phone yet. I am still collecting more information. Most people are more familiar with the Blackberry and recommend it if they are. The business calendar / day planner feature is something I would probably use frequently.

I might do Facebook, but yeah, I don't want to pay for a huge data plan just for "showing off" on social network sites. I have plenty of opportunity to post online from home and at other computer locations.

morpheus282
03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Did you pick out a new phone yet?

After about a week with the Droid, I don't think I'd switch to anything else.

Tycho
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
No. I probably won't make a move on a new phone for at least a month.

I have other expenses and things I want to purchase and not enough time to do my research yet. In the meanwhile, I am still learning from the discussion going on here. Keep posting!

Warped
03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Me, my wife and kids all have the enV 3. and everyone loves it. I use it for music and stuff. My kid sends about 15,000 text a month on it. I'm getting the droid myself next month when I get my upgrade (the older one). They have better reviews over the blackberries. If you go to Verizonwireless.com and look at the phones you can see all the reviews. you will know right off the bat what phones not to get.

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 04:44 PM
My sister has had to send her enV back multiple times due to problems with text messages going haywire. Also, she never uses the touchscreen anymore for entry, its squishy feel just isn't fast enough or accurate enough. I would not suggest this one for Tycho, even though it does have a keyboard and a touchscreen.

Warped
03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
The enV 3 doesnt have a touch screen. She must have something different than us. She must have the enV touch. The EnV3 is much much better.

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 05:46 PM
enV Touch (http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-env-touch-verizon/4505-6454_7-33665903.html), sorry, I forgot they used the name for other phones.

Man, the outer screen on the enV 2 and 3 (http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-env3-slate-blue/4505-6454_7-33665842.html) is TINY! Is it basically a fat flip phone with numbers on the outside?

Warped
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes it is. But its nice for the person who like to text...and text....and text. My kid does 1000's every month.

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah, my sister is constantly clicking away text messages on hers.

nohagent
03-20-2010, 03:19 AM
DROID, my god, as having last had and ENV the droid is amazing

Tycho
01-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Alright. Verizon is offering the i-Phone for pre-order now (to pick up at your local store by appointment) and it will be in stores February 10th.

I am decided on a Droid at the moment, unless Verizon's i-Phone service is going to top that.

From what I gathered, the difference between the two will be that with the i-Phone, you have to pay for all the aps. Droid sounds more practical if you get the tips on where to get all the aps.

There is an ap for converting your iTunes from your computer to play through your Droid, and thus as an iPod or car stereo jukebox.

Now where is the i-Phone's advantage over the Droid there?

MOD - could you add "or i-Phone?" into the title of this thread about Blackberries and Droids?

JimJamBonds
01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
There are a TON of free apps for the Iphone, I'd presume that that would be the same for Verizon. I got an Iphone 3 back in November and while I loved it 'in theory' in practice it sucked. Major reception issues, I'm in grocery stores all day and had ZERO reception! For what I do that is not acceptable so after a couple of weeks I returned it.

I will that when I could hop onto a (free) WiFi at a store it was awesome. Super super fast, tons of apps etc. As I said before with my line of work I need a phone where I don't have to run outside to make a call/respond to a text.

morpheus282
01-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Verizon is also getting the Droid Bionic soon. Dual core 1 GHz processor, 16 GB of on board storage with expansion of up to 32 GB more with a micro SD card, HDMI out, etc. The iPhone is still running on hardware that's over a year old and can't run on the LTE network.

I've used both an original Motorola Droid and an iPod touch and the Droid is far better in my opinion. If you're dead set on getting an iPhone, I'd wait until at least June when the new version comes out. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the old one until just before version 6 is released.

mtriv73
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Has iphone decided to allow/enable flash yet? Since the flash upgrade I love my droid even more than before.

morpheus282
01-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Last I heard, Stevie boy said no flash for his baby. Sort of like how he refuses to put in a microSD card reader or user replaceable battery even though they're pretty much standard on every other smart phone.

JimJamBonds
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Last I heard, Stevie boy said no flash for his baby. Sort of like how he refuses to put in a microSD card reader or user replaceable battery even though they're pretty much standard on every other smart phone.
The battery in mine was rather impressive, I could get several days use out of a single charge.

morpheus282
01-15-2011, 11:12 PM
The battery in mine was rather impressive, I could get several days use out of a single charge.

But my point is that if your battery died (like one of my old Motorola flip phones that wouldn't hold a charge for more than 6 hours) you'd have to ship the iPhone off to Apple for 2 weeks. Any other phone you can pop over to the cell store or Radio Shack and pick up another battery. If you can wait, you can order one of eBay for an average of $10 depending on the phone model.

JediTricks
01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Alright. Verizon is offering the i-Phone for pre-order now (to pick up at your local store by appointment) and it will be in stores February 10th.

I am decided on a Droid at the moment, unless Verizon's i-Phone service is going to top that.

From what I gathered, the difference between the two will be that with the i-Phone, you have to pay for all the aps. Droid sounds more practical if you get the tips on where to get all the aps.

There is an ap for converting your iTunes from your computer to play through your Droid, and thus as an iPod or car stereo jukebox.

Now where is the i-Phone's advantage over the Droid there?

MOD - could you add "or i-Phone?" into the title of this thread about Blackberries and Droids?There are tons of good free iphone apps, I have a lot on my ipod touch (same operating system), and there are a lot of apps on the iphone app store for 99 cents. The Android environment (the Droid is a line of phones that runs Android) is a little more open in some ways but in terms of apps I don't think you'll find 1 app store is better for your needs (iphone vs android). The iphone app store however they ensure the apps meet a standard of quality and safety for the user, I don't know if the Android app store does that.

I added your iPhone to the title, although without the grandpa's-hyphen. :p

Some things you should know about the iphone on Verizon coming up, they will be getting the iphone 4, which means:
- no 4G (highest speed data),
- no user-replaceable battery,
- no removable storage media,
- no using internet and phone calls at the same time (this is a Verizon system limitation, it uses a different type of cell system than ATT),
- and they're releasing it in March, but in late June Apple will be releasing the iphone 5 (they do an annual new iphone release every year) so in June or July, Verizon will likely have a better iphone to offer then, so if you buy an iphone right away, you'll be locked into it for a while and a few months later a new one will be coming out.

In general discussion...
I have heard that Android phones have a pretty wonky media playing system, so where the iphone does a pretty good job as a media player (although its sound isn't that great, but that's the limitation of the entire ipod line), the Android phones are only fair.

Google is the designer behind the Android operating system, and they are pushing for better and more open technologies. Apple is behind the iphone OS (it's now called "iOS") and they push for a closed system where rights are in their hands and meant to be empowering the content suppliers.

However, Android phones almost all run modified versions of the Android OS, so whenever Google comes out with the newest OS, you don't get to use it until your provider creates their modified version later on. There are ways around that for some phones, but you have to be technically inclined.

When you use an iphone, you MUST use the iTunes computer program to boot it up and register it. I find iTunes insufferable, I hate using it, it's a resource hog on Windows, it locks up a lot for no reason, it needs constant updating, it is a pain in the rump to get content in and out of your iOS device if you don't want to play their "do as we say" syncing system (it's an ok program if you don't mind giving some of that control away though). And since the iOS system is already difficult for getting content in and out of, iTunes is your main gateway to getting pictures and content onto your iphone.

I am very happy with Google integration to my dumbphone and my ipod touch, my contacts and emails and calendars and everything are together thanks to the cloud. The iphone can do that stuff too with Google, but they'd prefer you buy their own service for it instead.

I slightly prefer Google's web browser (Chrome) for the Android over the iPhone's Apple browser (Safari), but you can get other web browsers for both Android and iPhone. Apple has a no-go order with using Flash content though, they feel Flash is too problematic for computers in general (and Apple systems in particular) so they have banned it on iOS devices, you can view Youtube videos on the iphone through the built-in Youtube app, but other sites with Flash videos you may be left out in the cold. Some Android phones run Flash natively right in the web browser, others have parsing apps, but Flash content is more available on Android phones (although it can run very poorly on some, and siphon battery life).

While the Android phones are more customizable than the iPhone, you aren't the most technically-minded person, so you may find that level of customizing more annoying than useful and fun. If you would rather not think about things as much as possible, the iPhone does put more attention into making that sort of thing easier (there is a downside to that when things go wrong though, in that it tries to use plain speak to communicate its problems and it makes it harder to understand what the problem actually is, but that sort of thing probably won't come up with you that often).

One more thing I think that you may want to consider, the iphone is just an iphone, it's pretty and it does cool stuff, but everybody's seen one, you're NEVER going to impress anybody with it anymore (even girls! :p). There are however lots of different competing companies into the Android phone market, they are driving for more diverse and powerful technologies, new shapes and forms, and outside-the-box ideas, so they are always coming up with newness there that people haven't seen before.

I would DEFINITELY warn you away from getting the iPhone 4 right away, only because in a few more months the iPhone 5 will be coming out and you'll almost certainly have a better device for Verizon in it.

As for whether you should get a Blackberry, Android, or iPhone, I cannot fully answer that for you. The Blackberry is totally out, they are not right for you, I am sure of that.

You can experience the iPhone at the Apple Store at Fashion Valley Mall if you'd like to try one out. I am extremely happy with my iPod Touch 4 (it is very similar to the iPhone, they run the same OS and have similar screens, the iPod is basically a tablet-only version of the iPhone) but the fact that this will be your main phone is a big difference that I can't speak to, and the iPhone has the glass back which can be fragile in some situations. Still, I have thought about getting an iPhone after the iPod Touch was so good.

I am looking forward to getting an Android phone in June when my Sprint credit comes up, but Sprint doesn't have the iphone at all so I don't have to worry about choosing between them.

How come you haven't considered a Windows Phone 7 OS phone yet? :D (I hear it's better than the previous Windows Phone OSes, but just stay away from it anyway, you aren't ready for that can of worms.)

Tycho
01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
JT, thank you so much for your explanations about the various options for the phones.

I think I'm now very much leaning towards the Droid with HDMI or whatever (to play stuff off the net onto your HD TV).

This would be pretty cool.

So it might be the Droid. I wonder if we'll see an iphone defender arise here and pull my arm to go the other way?

JediTricks
01-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Yes, that's right, I hadn't considered that, there are Android phones that have HDMI output to plug into your HDTV. I'm not sure how much you'll actually *use* the feature, but having it available is better than not, especially since you have the only game console out there now with no HD playback and no way to play video content natively.

morpheus282
01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Apple is behind the iphone OS (it's now called "iOS") and they push for a closed system where rights are in their hands and meant to be empowering the content suppliers.

I still think Cisco should file copyright infringement lawsuits against Apple for that. They called their router software IOS for decades before Apple thought of using it. I guess the "i" vs "I" makes all the difference... Maybe I'm still bothered that Cisco came to terms with them over the iPhone name instead of taking Stevie-boy for all he's worth.

Back on topic, I don't have any problems with the native Android media player. My Motorola Droid completely replaced my phone and MP3 player and does a good job of both. As JT stated, most of the Android phones can be "modified" to add extra functions that the OEM never intended. I've done this with mine, but most of the additional goodies can be added using apps from the market.

You can use internet and make calls at the same time with Verizon phones, you just need to have a WiFi network available. I don't think this is necessarily a drawback since Apple uses "facetime" as a selling point and it only works on WiFi. In three years of smartphone use, I don't think I've ever needed to surf while on a phone call.

Don't forget that everything but the iPhone has true multitasking built into the OS. The iPhone has "fast application switching" which is a little different. Basically, most of the iPhone apps won't continue to run in the background. They'll pause and restart when you come back to them.

Whatever you choose, I would wait either until the new iPhone comes out in June or until the latest generation of phones shown at CES pops up.

JediTricks
01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
I thought Cisco ended up getting paid off by Apple about the IOS thing.

When I talk about making calls and using the internet at the same time, I mean via the mobile carrier. Wifi is fine for at home, but out on the road it's another story. That's the whole point of mobile internet IMO. Anyway, the CDMA system stacks data into the voice band in a way that doesn't directly allow it via 3G, but Verizon says that their coming changes to their system will allow it (I don't remember if it's 3G or 4G tho').

I've known Tycho a long time, so when I say this next thing, it's not meant to be disparaging, but he's not a guy who wants to get into the guts of a system, he wants to be able to use it and get on with his life with as little concern as possible. In that respect, I don't think any Android customizing will appeal to him. He won't care about fast-app-switching vs true-multitasking, he just wants a cool phone that can do stuff and has good apps that won't be difficult to use. That's the very reason why so many folks buy an iphone, and it's not unfounded, that's why I targeted my arguments towards other reasons why Android would suit him.

BTW Tycho, one thing I forgot I wanted to mention in my last post, you won't find a lot of folks who convert from Android to iPhone. You'll find a lot who go iPhone to Android, but not the other way around, and it's only due to what they were expecting and looking for. Android users that switched from iPhone either had to due to carrier issues, or wanted to because the iPhone is somewhat limiting in customizability, rights-management, content creation, and the way it's tethered to the home computer. But the iPhone is (up until now) only on 1 carrier and is the name brand in smartphones, so anybody who would be looking for a smartphone would go right to it unless they couldn't. Plus, Android phones haven't been around as long, so anybody who has an Android phone and isn't happy won't likely have had enough time to move on to an iPhone.

Bottom line, someone who switches from iPhone to Android isn't going to be the type of person who will be looking for the things you're looking for. Someone who switches from Android to iPhone will be few and far between, and probably not have a broad reason for the change that you'll be able to relate to. I think on this one, you're going to have to list what you are looking for point by point in a cellphone, and then listen to the responses on each specific point. Here's an example:

- Screen clarity

- Battery life

- Typing ease

- Good free apps

- Smoothness in use

- External styling

And then folks respond with their takes on their devices.

Personally, I think you'd probably be able to use an iPhone better, but a higher-end Android phone can do mostly as well and would be better for starting conversations.

UKWildcat
01-18-2011, 07:45 PM
HTC Evo 4G FTW!!! :thumbsup:

morpheus282
01-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I thought Cisco ended up getting paid off by Apple about the IOS thing.

No clue on that, all I know is that they came to a settlement over the iPhone name. I just like that Apple is all up on filing dozens of lawsuits in the name of protecting their intellectual property, but loves to snag everyone else's when they have half a chance.

I agree that every device isn't suited for every end user. I'm a techie geek and for me the cookie cutter setup of the iPhone just bugs me. Tycho (or anyone else) may not feel the same way, but I'll feel much better if I at least try to argue against it. :D

Tycho
01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I made a list that I composed at the Verizon store actually.

It's not in front of me at the moment, but I'll try and remember:

make phone calls w. good speaker phone
blue toothe headset capable with good range at home
good voice to text, because I hate HATE hate text typing
Facebook check / posting
viewing live Padres games esp replays
good photo and video camera
calendar / planner w. alert alarms
address / phone book
iTunes song storage able to put downloads on my computer, organize playlists, and play back with headset or through my car stereo
things to do list memos
maybe a place to record my workout progress in the gym
ability to play YouTube, Flash, Quicktime videos etc and connect to a big screen TV so I can share them - from my phone or the internet.
place for shopping lists - several like groceries, separate from Transformers, separate from Star Wars

I think that's getting everything covered. The Droid will do all this and the App DoubleSwitch converts iTunes files for use on the Droid.

figrin bran
01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Tycho, I haven't had the iphone for very long but I can try to address some of the items on your list.

Supposedly, calls sound better, clearer on iphone than Droid.

The screen on the iphone is outstanding so that should make for better viewing of your Padre games.

Thus far, I haven't found the lack of Flash on the iphone to be much of an issue. I guess I don't look at a lot of sites that require Flash?

Whichever you do decide on, you'll probably want the Audiogalaxy app for either iphone or droid as that will enable to put all of your music collection on your computer on a "cloud" and then when you're out and about, you can stream the music from your computer. That would enable you to use the memory on your phone for other stuff.

Tycho
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Figrin, to protect my computer because of my novelcraft work, I take it offline and completely power it off when I'm not at the keyboard.

There's no way for anyone, including myself, to remotely access it.

But thanks for the response! :thumbsup: