PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Hoth Re-Paint Of The New AT-ST?

Tycho
03-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case The Hoth Re-paint of the new, larger AT-ST from ESB).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Hoth Re-paint of the new, larger AT-ST from ESBl?

This is not a straight re-paint. The side missile launcher might be replaced so that there are twin laser cannons. I think that is the right way to present the Hoth version of the AT-ST.

In addition, molded snow and icicles could be added to the vehicle.

The AT-ST Driver pack-in figure could be re-made to sport a thermal suit, an EU version that Hasbro designs. I don't think an AT-AT Driver figure drove this thing. But you could vote for him as the pack-in instead if you'd prefer that.

Finally, the larger AT-ST was just clearanced at $30. I think it regularly ran at $45. So the price range has been established.

We're close to the bottom of the barrel for ESB but I've got several good choices still left.

So do you want the Hoth AT-ST made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Previous ESB Polling results:

YES - Twin Pod Cloud Car
NO - Imperial Star Destroyer
NO - Rebel Transport
YES - Echo Base Rebel Personnel Carrier
YES - Imperial Probot Shuttle w Probe Droid
YES - Echo Base Rebel Ice Drill
??? - Hoth AT-ST

bigbarada
03-10-2010, 08:07 AM
No, because that's not the proper Scout Walker for Hoth. I would buy a completely resculpted ESB Scout Walker, but not just a repainted ROTJ AT-ST. The Endor AT-ST is a noticeably different design.

DarkArtist
03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I'd have to agree with Big B on this.. If Hasbro was to redesign the AT-ST to look more like the version seen in ESB and the price was $35 instead of $45 then I would buy one.

but it's a no for a straight re-paint of the ROTJ version

Darth Metalmute
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
I also agree with bigbarada. I would buy a Hoth one, but not a repainted Endor one.

mtriv73
03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a feeling we'll see a repainted Endor one before we ever see a newly sculpted Hoth one. I'd probably buy it, especially if it came with a unique figure.

Tycho
03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes, you guys can continue voting for an all-new AT-ST sculpt and I'll tally the results for the votes in all kinds of ways:

No more AT-STs
Yes another AT-ST
Yes a repaint with Hoth alterations to weapons, snow cover etc.
Yes an all-new sculpt

Vote however you want - but for what you'd actually buy and what you'd actually pay (realistically $30 and up unfortunately).

DarkArtist
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Ok. so i would vote YES for all new sculpt ESB version with unique figure at $35

El Chuxter
03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Nope. If they do re-release it, it should be in Hoth colors. I know the Hoth one is slightly different, but I'd rather the money for sculpting be used on something better, since the Hoth one appears for half a frame, or something.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
As far as a Hoth AT-ST goes, I'm happy with the one from the 2007 battle pack. It's not to scale but, as has been said, you can barely see it in that film, and the vintage mold looks enough like the ESB version for my tastes. So, no, I don't want another one.

Snowtrooper
03-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd say yes, but only if it has a really stellar paint job. I liked how the UBP version was painted, but they would have to do even better than that.

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I would not buy a repaint of the existing one for Hoth, for the reasons BB gave.

I don't know if I'd buy an all-new one for Hoth, it barely appears in the film and has an odd posture. I really liked the one that just came out enough to pay full price, but would I buy such a similar vehicle at the same price soon after? I don't think so, it's not important enough comparatively to the Endor one which is all over that film.

Devo
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd say yes to a decent endor paintjob of the new AT-ST. I'm sure thats what the current one is supposed to be but its awfully plain - it barely looks like it was painted at all. Vehicle sculpts have improved since POTF2 but damn I miss those POTF2 paintjobs.

As for an ESB AT-ST - nah I don't really care. The old one is enough of a resemblance.

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Keep in mind folks, the ESB AT-ST design has a lot of notable differences from the ROTJ AT-ST design.

DarkJedi5
03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
At first I was leaning towards a yes on a resculpted all new ESB AT-ST. However, JJL's probably right and the 2007 one is good enough for me.

Old Fossil
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
No way. I love the AT-AT but have absolutely zero emotion for the Hoth AT-ST... and I gotta feel some love for a SW vehicle before I buy it, given the expense.

Darth Jax
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
NO i don't need it re-released as Hoth scout walker, because as has been mentioned many times, they are different. I don't need a resculpt either (until they've gotten each of the OT vehicles perfected).

In ROTJ the walker plays a major part. In ESB, the scout walker isn't really that important. It's only a backdrop for the AT-AT

morpheus282
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm going to say no to a straight repaint. The one seen in the battle of Hoth is completely different from the WM exclusive and a straight repaint of the new one is a crime equal to the constant repaints of the vintage mold that were passed off as Endor AT-STs. The vintage mold from what I can tell is as accurate to the Hoth AT-ST as the new AT-ST is to the Endor version. These are two completely different models. You may as well say "I'm going to repaint my '67 Mustang and make an '08 out of it."

On the other hand, I don't think a full resculpt would be needed either. I think the new legs (with a slight resculpt of the feet) could be slapped on the old head & body and we'd have a really nice vehicle for a price tag of ~ $35. Again, it wouldn't be completely accurate but how many Star Wars toys have ever been completely accurate to what's on the screen?

morpheus282
03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
A bit off topic, but I think a better "would you buy" from ESB would be a single carded snowtrooper in a nice, neutral pose. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like every snowtrooper in the last 15 years has either looked like they were ready to pinch a loaf in the snow or were leaning forward. This is the main reason that I have sandtroopers set up around my AT-AT instead of snowtroopers. Even the current release just seems a little odd in the hips/legs to me.

Maradona
03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I bought 2 of the new ones at full price in October and got a few more last week on clearance for about half off. I bought them in preparation for my yearly Christmas diorama, this one centered around the new AT-AT. If there was an ESB specific AT-ST, I might consider it at clearance pricing. I suspect if Hasbro did this, it would be a repaint, possibly with a different attachment. It might be appropriate for an ESB AT-ST come out to coincide with the new AT-AT, but with money being nationally tight, sales would surely be affected.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Okay, oddly, the Q&A at Jedi Temple War Room (http://www.jeditemplewarroom.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dafa2fae208d76ac13996220f2dec3 23&topic=2141.0) says that they're planning a Hoth re-paint of this ship. Whaaa?!?

QUESTION: The AT-ST seems to have been extremely well received by the collecting community as a whole. It was an amazing advance from the vintage vehicle. This version seems to have been specifically geared towards the Battle of Endor in RETURN OF THE JEDI. But with this being the 30th anniversary of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (the first place we ever saw the AT-ST), is it possible that we could see the AT-ST reintroduced in 2010 with Hoth deco? And might this be the venue by which we see the new AT-ST Driver that was mentioned back in a September, 2009 Q&A session?

ANSWER: We're glad you appreciate the AT-ST. We agree - it sailed way past our expectations to be one of our favorite pieces of 2009. There were a lot of them actually, but that one was fantastic. Now, your question....yes, to both parts. The plan was is bring the vehicle out as an exclusive late in the year and details will likely be announced at Comic Con or CV. The exclusive line still has a bit of an unsettled nature to it this year, so we can't say with 100% certainty that it is definitely coming. Stay tuned for more info later in the year.
That is super strange.

bigbarada
03-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Okay, oddly, the Q&A at Jedi Temple War Room (http://www.jeditemplewarroom.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dafa2fae208d76ac13996220f2dec3 23&topic=2141.0) says that they're planning a Hoth re-paint of this ship. Whaaa?!?

That is super strange.

If they are going to release it again, I would prefer it to just be a "clean" version with no planet specific paint apps. This way collectors could customize them as they see fit.

DarkArtist
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM

That is super strange.

this might be a very easy pass unless the pack-in figure is awesome looking and the vehicle drops in price.... I'm not going to shell out another $50 for a repainted snow covered AT-ST.

Warped
03-18-2010, 11:09 AM
I didnt buy the first one cause it was $50. So I wont buy a repaint. I thought it was more like a $25 items at most.

bigbarada
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I didnt buy the first one cause it was $50. So I wont buy a repaint. I thought it was more like a $25 items at most.

Well, first of all, the AT-ST was $44 at every Walmart in my area, not $50.

Secondly, there is no way that this AT-ST was a $25 item. Maybe 15 years ago this might have been priced below $30, but not today.

Considering that the AT-ST was a completely new sculpt and it was still only $4 more expensive than the TIE Fighter, which reused 5 year old solar panels, and $6 cheaper than the TIE Interceptor which was completely reused parts (considering that the pod was also sold with the regular TIE), this was not a bad deal based on 2009 prices.

But if you're going to complain about inflation, then you might as well pass on all the figures since they don't still cost $4.77 like they did in 1995.

Maradona
03-18-2010, 06:08 PM
There were dozens of these left around for clearance pricing at $24 at many Walmarts near me. I suspect the same will happen again, unless it becomes a TRU exclusive, in which case they'll lay around for over a year. Target would be an even better place to acquire these, given their clearance track record.

OC47150
03-18-2010, 06:59 PM
No. I have two other versions of the AT-ST, and am waiting for the WMs in my area to clearance the newer version down even more (if they do).

But if one is released and I can get it for a dirt-cheap price, I might reconsider.

Tycho
03-18-2010, 08:21 PM
My vintage (1) and 1995 AT-STs (5) were in storage and I worried about their legs being bent.

As it turns out, they are fine and in good loose-mint condition. I just got to them today.

I purchased 6 of the new Wal-Mart AT-STs on sale for $30 each and saved my receipts. I may be returning all of them. I want to check the return expiration date and see if my old AT-STs legs stay firm over the next few days. The old ones were lying down before, and thus their legs weren't being strained while in storage all these years.

I'd get probably over $200 back if I return the new walkers.

I'd rather have that $200 to easily drop down on Jabba The Hutt's sailbarge the day Hasbro decides they'll make it. (Besides - that's a creditcard charge and not from cash in hand anyway.)

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 03:52 PM

That is super strange.Wow, did not see that coming. I am guessing it'll be darker gray and have the attack group logo on the side, plus white "snow" around the lower legs.

At the very least, I would need the toes different here, and in hindsight, maybe that's why the toe piece is separate on the one we just got. But the ratchet points on the knees and hips need to be different too, the Hoth AT-ST stands lower and farther forward.

Well, first of all, the AT-ST was $44 at every Walmart in my area, not $50.

Secondly, there is no way that this AT-ST was a $25 item. Maybe 15 years ago this might have been priced below $30, but not today.

Considering that the AT-ST was a completely new sculpt and it was still only $4 more expensive than the TIE Fighter, which reused 5 year old solar panels, and $6 cheaper than the TIE Interceptor which was completely reused parts (considering that the pod was also sold with the regular TIE), this was not a bad deal based on 2009 prices.

But if you're going to complain about inflation, then you might as well pass on all the figures since they don't still cost $4.77 like they did in 1995.Don't forget it's at least 75% bigger than the last AT-ST which was $20 in 1996.

morpheus282
03-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I bought one AT-ST as soon as I found them on the shelf and another when WM reduced them down to $20 (and used a $5 coupon). Two new AT-STs plus my old one from 1980 is plenty. Unless they do something to really make the repaint absolutely spectacular, I'll pass on it even if it is significantly cheaper.

TheDarthVader
03-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Have I answered yes yet? If not, then YES!

clone157
03-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Sorry, that would be a no for me. Besides, here in Texas it is hard to have a Hoth scene and not laugh about it.

Tycho
04-05-2010, 01:26 AM
The larger Hoth AT-ST appears to have barely lost: I got 10 in favor and 11 opposed.

Of the 10 in favor, 7 would only buy if the AT-ST was an all-new sculpt, different from the new Endor AT-ST that was just released last Christmas.

Yes, that means 3 people here said they'd buy a straight Hoth repaint of that vehicle, with perhaps a few superficial changes being made.