PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question Thread

DarthQuack
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Figured we could use one of these, why not? Here's my issue/question.

I wanted to clean up my computer a bit, so I ran disk cleanup which ran fine...Then I went on to the Disk Defragmenter, but I'm getting this error message that pops up when I click analyze.

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume : (C: ).

Please run Chkdsk /f.

Now, I did a search for Chkdsk and ran it which ran in DOS. I tried defragging again and same message popped up.

I'm running my computer on Windows XP if that's any help. Thanks!

JediTricks
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Did you actually run the Checkdisk on the F volume, or did it just run a regular C volume check? Try manually running the F volume one by going:

Start >
Run >
and type in or copy-paste what's in between these quotes "chkdsk /f" (make sure to include the space before the forwardslash).

It'll say it's being used and do you want to run it next time you restart, type "y" and hit enter, then restart your pc and it should go through the regular checkdisk for the F drive. Then your computer will start after that check. Try the defrag again. If it still gives you the message, post again and I'll throw out more ideas, but I think that will work.

2-1B
03-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Here's my dumb question (which I'm embarrassed to ask) but I'm not computer savvy, so whatever:
How exactly do I run "backup" to create DVDs of my computer? I did it years ago when it asked me if I wanted to (I got this computer in Jan/Feb 2006) so it's been awhile and those backup discs are of course incomplete by now.

I have tons of stuff on here (photos which are irreplaceable along with iTunes which are expensive to replace - considering I sold 90% of my CD collection after I got this computer). If I were to lose this stuff (especially the photos), I would be absolutely sick to my stomach...I love the thought of having backup discs stored in our safe and off-site but I can't even figure out how to do it. I know I can burn discs of all my photo albums but I want to do the all-encompassing one shot deal where it tells me it will take X number of CDs/DVDs to do the whole shebang.

I know, I'm dumb compared to any level of technical evaluation (compared to many of you smart Sirs). I've literally had ZERO training in computers, I graduated high school right at the threshold of the web explosion, so I learned all of that stuff my first year of college (my first email address, too). Anything I've learned the last 14 years has been through trial/error, practice, and learning second-hand from other people (friends/co-workers).

I don't think I'm completely dumb, I mean this stuff makes sense to me as I figure it out, but as you can see I have no formal training. Thanks. :(

JediTricks
03-13-2010, 04:17 AM
I think for that you'd want to use a ghosting, image, or backup software, but burning an image of your computer is a particularly bad idea, it ends up being an all-or-nothing scenario and far too often those discs have errors from the writing process (especially when you are doing multiple discs for one image). Your DVD-ROM probably came with a backup software bundled with it, or has one available on the manufacturer's website. I use my external harddrive for this so I don't know which software would be the best for you.