PDA

View Full Version : RIP Merlin Olson

JimJamBonds
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I just read that former NFLer Merlin Olson died today at the age of 69. While I wasn't born before he quit playing I do remember him from Little House On The Prairie. I imdb'd him and nothing else looked familar that I would have seen (but I did some some shows he was on that I had heard of).

mtriv73
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I remember him from Little House and the FTD (I think) commercials. He always seemed like such a gentle giant. I'm glad I didn't run into him on the gridiron though. He'll be missed.

TeeEye7
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Well.....being a bit older than Yoda, I remember his playing days as one of the LA Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" as the defensive front line was called. I think he achieved Hall of Fame status. I also remember doing sport commentary after he retired. Wasn't much into "Little House" so I didn't see much of his acting.

RIP, sir!

JimJamBonds
03-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I remember him from Little House and the FTD (I think) commercials. He always seemed like such a gentle giant. I'm glad I didn't run into him on the gridiron though. He'll be missed.

Ohh yeah LTD, I totally forgot about that! :duh!:

sonofsokol
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
He was an All-American at Utah State University, in Logan Utah. Many consider him the greatest athlete to ever come out of USU. He played offense and defense and was known to play every down in every game. That sure doesn't happen anymore... Great Athlete, even better man.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm not quite old enough to have watched him play, but I definitely remember when he and Dick Enberg were NBC's top NFL broadcasting team, and probably my favorite then as well.

I remember Olsen from Little House on the Praire. I had forgotten about Father Murphy, but I think I watched that some. I also recall a short-lived series called Aaron's Way, where he portrayed an Amish man.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I'll always remember him in the class MST3K riffed film, "Mitchell."