PDA

View Full Version : Should Lucas(film) do Direct-To-DVD?

LTBasker
03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Direct-to-DVD movies seem to be very popular, and not just amongst the horrible sequels. Franchises that want to have more than just a television presence and can't have a theatrical existence seem to find some success in in doing these. This is especially evident with Marvel and DC, who have made several Direct-to-DVD animated movies that have been well received. Clone Wars is Star Wars' only public influence at the moment, aside from the alleged live-action TV show, so are they missing a great opportunity for an alternative cash cow, and just a way to keep Star Wars alive in general?

The thought that brought this up stems from reflecting on McQuarrie's concept designs. A lot of the ideas would look cheesy on the big screen, but what if they did an animated, direct-to-DVD movie in McQuarrie's style? Luke and co. would have their strange gear, and the Stormtroopers would have lightsabers and shields. It wouldn't have to be a full retelling of the trilogy in a new style, but rather it could simply be akin to "Animatrix," "Batman: Gotham Knight," and "Halo Legends" in that it's made up of a bunch of story segments done by different people. This could allow for there to be a McQuarrie style, anime style, CGI, etc. all on the same disc.

What do you think?

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Lucas is too much a control freak to do an Animatrix type of thing.

I don't see this working for Star Wars. SW is epic, and the one thing I have noticed about DtV (Direct to Video) movies is they lack a sense of scale (except for Bender's Big Score). The filmmakers are too afraid to do anything big in their existing sandbox, and don't have the time to build up a new corner of the sandbox to get the audience invested in. I think that would hobble Star Wars horribly.

Darkross
03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I would rather see the in-between years of the Original Trilogy done in the Clone Wars style animated series. Though there wouldn't be alot of lightsaber presence...it would still be cool. Imagine Shadows of the Empire or the Timothy Zahn series in animated style. That's what I am wishing for...I like the Clone Wars cartoon series...but I am a prequel trilogied out at this point. It's been 13+ years (when the SE were theatrically released) since the OT has had any focus.

Neuroleptic
03-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Personaly I'm hopeing the live action series is live action and not animated. I'm honestly just not a huge fan of it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I don't particularly care for the animation style, though I like it better than the previous Clone Wars animation style. I'd like to see a live action series based on the Han Solo adventures (both the A.C. Crispin trilogy and the Brian Daley adventures). Watching Firefly made me think that a quality live action Star Wars series could be possible.

JimJamBonds
03-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Lucas is too much a control freak to do an Animatrix type of thing.

I don't see this working for Star Wars. SW is epic, and the one thing I have noticed about DtV (Direct to Video) movies is they lack a sense of scale (except for Bender's Big Score). The filmmakers are too afraid to do anything big in their existing sandbox, and don't have the time to build up a new corner of the sandbox to get the audience invested in. I think that would hobble Star Wars horribly.

Yeah I agree JT, this won't happen with SW.

Darth Metalmute
03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I would rather see the in-between years of the Original Trilogy done in the Clone Wars style animated series. Though there wouldn't be alot of lightsaber presence...it would still be cool. Imagine Shadows of the Empire or the Timothy Zahn series in animated style. That's what I am wishing for...I like the Clone Wars cartoon series...but I am a prequel trilogied out at this point. It's been 13+ years (when the SE were theatrically released) since the OT has had any focus.

I would love to see Shadows of the Empire and the Zahn trilogy on any screen. Animated, Live Action, Box Office, Cartoon Network; I don't care, just get it done.