PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Prince Xizor's Virago from Shadows of the Empire?

Tycho
03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Prince Xizor's Virago).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Prince Xizor's Virago?

This ship (pictures below) could be made for the $24 starfighter assortment which has successfully sold EU vehicles.

The original intention was for Hasbro to make a Virago they'd desiged to be released with the Shadows of the Empire collection back in 1996.

I don't see this ship needing to do too much but fire maybe 4 plastic missiles for a play feature, and hold Xizor's and possibly Guri's figures with the cockpit arranged kind of like Jango's Slave-One.

The wings should close up for landings as shown in the one black and white photo, and maybe the firing guns should rotate around.

Note: to date, these EU ships have been polled for with the following results:

NO - Cade Skywalker's Mynock
NO - Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper Fighter
NO - Mara Skywalker's Jade Shadow
NO - Lando Calrissian's Lady Luck
YES - Imperial Skipray Blastboat
YES - Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow

Also, a new and improved Outrider won as a vehicle from ANH (SE).

So do you want Prince Xizor's Virago made?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Xizor is 150 years old or something like that. Black Sun and the Prince with his ship could feasibly fit into the Clone Wars series. He was around at this time. Do you want to see Xizor become involved with the show and have the cartoon add this ship?

Darth Metalmute
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Yes I would buy this, maybe multiple times. It's probably my favorite EU ship design and is from a great EU source. At this point, I don't even cae about the paly features, just as long as it gets made.

As for your second question, I would love to see Xizor and his ship in the Clone Wars series. The Black Sun would be an excellent organization to add to the series. My only problem with this is the episodes appear to have changed from the Republic against the Seperatists to the Jedi verus the hot fanboy trend of the day.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Ziro has the Black Sun logo tattooed on his belly, so it's not too out of the question to see Xizor in the show, I suppose.

I know they planned this ship to be released in 1996, but now it might be several years too late. It's pretty interesting-looking, so I'd buy it if they made it, but again, I'm not clamoring for it.

mtriv73
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd buy it, but I'd want it large enough to be able to fit Guri and Xixor. In fact, I think if it came with a Guri figure it would probably really help sales with collectors. I really don't see this being anything but an exclusive and I can't imagine many kids being interested in it. I would expect to pay $45-50 (especially with the Guri figure.)

JediTricks
03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes, definitely. Great design, one of my favorite Action Fleet molds too with its slide-forward cockpit access. It's a pretty simple toy design too, just a body, 2 rotation cannons, and 4 rotation wings, so it'd be quite possible.

The Kenner design from '96 is only a styrene mockup, there is no tooling to exploit there, it'd be more likely they'd start again from scratch.

Cane_Adiss
03-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Absolutely! SOTE is my favorite EU source and Xizor as a major villain should have his fighter. A retooled Xizor with the ability to sit would have to be either included or available in some form to make this a viable release. If Xizor appears in the cartoon I would hope Hasbro would consider it.

Unfortunately I don't think Hasbro has this one in mind.

DarkJedi5
03-17-2010, 05:58 PM
While it's not my all time favorite, I loved SOTE and so I would probably buy one for old time's sake. Put me down as a yes.

The Space Outlaw
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh, I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat. It would have to have some kind of ratcheting joints for the wings--my Action Fleet Virago is a floppy mess after all these years.

LTBasker
03-17-2010, 07:07 PM
If they can manage it without utterly destroying the awesomeness of the concept, then yeah, I'd buy it. Box space shouldn't be an issue, I'm sure the wings can snap on and the rest of the hull is pretty flat.

Like JT said, the Galoob version had a slide-out cockpit that was pretty fun. I think that'd be best to have on it.

bigbarada
03-18-2010, 06:45 AM
While I have to admit that SOTE was one of the better EU outings, I just have no interest in this ship at all. So, no, I would not buy it. I just never really cared about Xizor's character.

JediTricks
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM
It's a great fighter on its own though. It's exotic enough to look like a villain ship without looking totally alien. It's dark and menacing and can become sleek or grow wide to look more imposing. The main body isn't even that big, so the wings take up the bulk and give it more of a threatening look (the wings have big thrusters at their bases so it even works better as a sci-fi ship than most). I could see it being used by the CIS if nothing else. We should talk Dave Filoni into using it on the show, tell him it's flown by Plo Koon. ;)

Darth Jax
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
NO. ships not seen on the big screen simply don't interest me.

El Chuxter
03-20-2010, 11:07 AM
No. I would not buy it. Unless they make Captain Kirk and a Klingon to ride in it, because it is not a Star Wars design, but a Star Trek design they co-opted.

The Space Outlaw
03-21-2010, 03:47 PM
No. I would not buy it. Unless they make Captain Kirk and a Klingon to ride in it, because it is not a Star Wars design, but a Star Trek design they co-opted.

To what are you referring? I've never seen the Virago in Star Trek.

El Chuxter
03-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Nothing specific, I just always thought the design was very un-Star Warsy to me. It looks more like something I'd imagine some Klingon space pirate cruising around in.

DarkArtist
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
hard to say really... i like the design of the ship and would love to see it get made but for me to buy it I would want both a new Xizor and a SA Guri.

I still have the AF version of this ship so if Hasbro never made a large scale version I'd be fine...

I guess I'd vote no (unless it came with the figures)

JediTricks
03-22-2010, 03:24 PM
No. I would not buy it. Unless they make Captain Kirk and a Klingon to ride in it, because it is not a Star Wars design, but a Star Trek design they co-opted.I have no idea what you think it's based upon, but it's much more closely based upon the Starfury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfury) from Babylon 5, even down to the front window design.

TheDarthVader
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I would pass on this one too.

Old Fossil
03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
NO way. I'm fast running out of room in a collection dominated by OT ships. This would stick out like a sore thumb in my displays.

clone157
03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes, and if it comes with a Xisor I would like to see a new sculpt for the body, flightsuit perhaps? With a helmet.

Tycho
04-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm speeding along with the Expanded Universe Ship Poll and Xizor's Virago won!

We have another EU winner by 10-6 with the Virago.

I'm glad to see this one do so well.

Expanded Universe Winners are:

Skipray Blastboat (Heir to the Empire)
Moldy Crow (Dark Forces)
Xizor's Virago (Shadows of the Empire)

Expanded Universe losers have been:

The Mynock (Legacy)
Corral Skip (New Jedi Order)
Jade Shadow (New Jedi Order)
Lady Luck (New Republic era)

Obsession is Nute
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes. I know we will never see it, but yes.

Phantom-like Menace
04-23-2010, 06:11 AM
I would get two of these ships.

I didn't particularly care for SotE, but Guri, Virago, the YT-2400, and the Falleen (though not necessarily Xizor) were all pretty cool.

The second one would be for a roleplay character my friends and I established as owning one of these.