PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO - round 82

JediTricks
03-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Please post your VOTE for up to 4 {four} of the questions provided in this thread, letting us know which ones you most want to see asked on April 9th. Keep in mind that your votes in round 81 do not count in this round, so if your question is still on the list you may want to vote for it again.

Also, feel free to post new questions. For reference, here are Hasbro's answers to previous SSG questions (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2665); and from other sites (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1936). The questions we asked last round can be found here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=720807#post720807).

Current questions (vote for up to 4):

- In a previous Q&A, you mentioned that "[Hasbro] will continue working with Sideshow on their 12" figure program." As we know, Sideshow sub-licenses their 12" Star Wars through Hasbro's Star Wars license, but the intricacies of this relationship are not fully understood. With your recent comment above, collectors are ever more curious as to how exactly Hasbro and Sideshow work together on that 12" figure line. What types of input and interaction does Hasbro have into the Star Wars items that Sideshow produces?
- The Clone Wars line has been a boon for its droid designs, but is following suit from the realistic lines with the sagging leg problems. This is especially noticeable on Clone Wars Battle Droids and General Grievous. Yet in the same line, IG-86 and the Commando Droid don't suffer this, the difference being that they have ankle joints while the BD and Grievous figures do not. It seems like the joints take stress off the thin leg elements helping cope with wilting issues, and that's a pretty big deal. Obviously including either knee or ankle articulation on them isn't a cheap undertaking, but it seems like a necessary one in the scheme of things since if a figure can't stand up, it's going to be far less fun. Any possibility of including one type of lower leg articulation or another on future versions of these figures as this partial solution to this long-time problem?
- Have you considered sealing magnets into figures' feet and including metal stands to avoid the numerous problems that have come up with footpeg holes over the years? Kotobukiya is doing that with their new ARTFX+ line of statue kits to great success, and although 3.75" figures are a smaller medium, magnetic feet would go well with your action figure line with all its challenges keeping figures standing.
- We now have the deluxe Anakin with Desert Sport Skiff, and us old-fogey collectors who have been around since 1996 are quite surprised to see that accessory's return. It wasn't exactly popular back in the day, its styling wasn't that Star Warsy, and its wobbly guns didn't help much, yet now we have it back for a whole new generation of Star Wars collectors. The other 1996 deluxe releases - Crowd Control Stormtrooper, Han Solo with Flight Pack, and Boba Fett with Mega Jetpack of Doom - weren't exactly crowd-pleasers either, but will we be seeing any of them re-released? Though the idea of a small vehicle for Anakin makes sense, re-releasing this piece seems like such an odd choice. Could you guide us through the thought process on this one? Did the failure of the original influence the decision at all?
- On the latest TIE Interceptor's packaging, the box art on the front has a highly-detailed ship which is not actually representing the toy, the back of the box imagery does that. However, while the new cockpit pod is a great improvement, that art highlights the wings being the same existing designs we've had for the last 3 decades, and their size and lack of detail really shows compared to the new pod. Granted, you've just released a TIE Interceptor so it's not like we're going to see new wings next week. But hypothetically, how far in the future might fans have to wait to get a set of updated TIE Interceptor wings to match the quality of the new pod?
- With the 2008 Medical Frigate Luke figure, the figure almost fits the bill for Echo Base recovery scene Luke, if not for the open mechanical arm, and the different likeness with scars and Hoth hairstyle. That scene also has another character whose figure is in dire need of updating: 2-1B, who hasn't seen a new figure design in over a decade. With a Recovery Luke figure, it'd just be a new head required (the body and undamaged forearm tooling already exists from the VOTC figure) so you could also include the mask he wore in that scene's less-infamous cut footage (we're not asking you to make kissing Luke & Leia, you'll have to decide if you're twisted enough to go there ;-) ). So, any chances of knocking the Echo Base Recovery scene out of the park by making new 2-1B and Luke recovery figures?
- As you now know, the recent Commander Cody figure has left the factory with his belt upside-down, an occurrence which has proved far too common over the last 5 years of ROTS phase 2 trooper armor figures. This is a relatively small thing, but common enough that it warrants asking about. So, would it be possible for you to redesign the trooper belt system so that there was some sort of offset notch or directional block which forces assembly on the belts to work only in the proper orientation? That way, the factory workers wouldn't need to see the visual minutiae that defines the belt as right-side-up or not.
- Don't think we haven't noticed that some of your exclusives are playing a color-scheme war. Target, whose company logo is a big red bulls-eye, gets a red-accented TIE Fighter vehicle; Wal-mart, whose logo has been blue lettering for decades, gets a blue Octuptarra Droid vehicle. Wal-mart gets a blue 501st role-play helmet; Target gets a red Clone Trooper helmet with flashlight. Target gets Commander Fox, a red-hued Clone figure; Wal-mart gets the 501st Clone Trooper, a blue-accented figure. Confess! You're creating some of these exclusives with coloring themed to its specific retailer, aren't you? "Payola!" they'll all yell to the heavens as they learn of such treachery. Busted! So, are you guys doing this on purpose, and if so, how did it come up? Do your retail partners know that they're getting specially-tailored exclusives as are their rivals, and what do they think of it?
- Mace Windu has been represented in action figure form for 11 years now, and a large portion of those figures were released with some unique, non-standard aspect. Mace has been the first "sneak peek" and a mail-away in the modern line, the first hard-shell "choco" robe, AOTC had a deluxe before basic which has a smiling face and a second figure, AOTC basic had the screaming face, 2003 AOTC basic had the "ultimate lightsaber control" stick gimmick, ROTS had the Force Lightning throw-off gimmick, and now the Clone Wars version with removable armor and saber-swinging waist. While there have been a few normal Mace figures, and even a super-articulated one finally, it seems as if Mace Windu has been tapped by Hasbro to be the sculpting and gimmick guinea pig. Is this pattern intentional, do you think he can't sell without these sorts of things, is it just happenstance, or does someone there subliminally not realize they keep picking Mace to be the test guy?
- Usually, the only figures whose heads are painted rather than cast in flesh-tone plastic are those with a sculpted helmet, hood or large hair so the plastic matches the majority of the head. Though understandable, those painted faces aren't always that successful, noses are rubbed off by packaging, paint masks miss targets and either over- or under-shoot, and the facial features don't look as crisp. Recently though, this has crept onto regular figures without hoods or the like. Evolutions Jango Fett is supposed to be a premium figure but has this - yes, it's likely a costing issue since it'd be the only flesh-toned part on the figure, but this is supposed to be a definitive version. Col Dyer from the Battle for Endor battle pack has flesh hands yet a painted head. And now Luke Tatooine from the Resurgence of the Jedi pack is the same way, that's an iconic figure with an impressive new sculpt, yet its sullied by the painted head syndrome. Maybe it's fine for kids, but these are collector-themed figures we're talking about, and it's sloppily applied and prone to the problems mentioned above, not to mention it softens the sculpted facial features you guys work hard to produce. So why use painted heads on those sorts of figures? Will there be a focus to lean on this less in the future? Might those Jango and Luke figures get cast instead of painted heads on their next runs?
- In past answers, you've said you have no foreseeable plans to re-release any of the Build-a-Droid existing droid characters again. However, for various reasons natural to collecting, many collectors found themselves with the problems of having too many of some droid parts, and more often, too few of others. Short production runs are an especially big problem for completing certain droids. The bottom line is that there are a lot of incomplete droids around, and some of the droids are army-buildable including the hard-to-get YVH-1, so even after working to complete 1, some collectors want several more. And the upcoming BG-J38 wave looks like it will be no picnic to complete either what with exclusivity and a very short production run. Aside from the notion of collectors coming back to the line spurring a Droid Factory playset with the possibility of using some of these parts, would you reconsider alternate methods to distributing these parts or whole droids, perhaps offering individual parts on HasbroToyShop, or bagged complete but unassembled droids in simple white box packaging, or perhaps some other method that lets collectors complete their build-a-droids?
- Seeing as how the McQuarrie concept figures have been re-released in boxed sets to decent reception, has there been any consideration of doing a similar boxed set for the other concept figures out there? The Doug Chiang General Grievous, the Joe Johnston Snowtrooper, the McQuarrie IG-88, and the 2 Episode III concept Anakin and Ki-Adi-Mundi would make a nice 3rd set to the concept figure series, don't you think?

Vote now, and suggest new questions too. Thanks for participating!

DarkJedi5
03-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Was the Red 2 kill sticker question stricken cause I was the only one to vote for it last round? I thought as long as questions were getting votes they were still viable....

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Was the Red 2 kill sticker question stricken cause I was the only one to vote for it last round? I thought as long as questions were getting votes they were still viable....
That's usually a guideline, yes, but it was correctly pointed out that if the question didn't get voted for in a specific timeframe, it was meaningless. That set is on clearance, they're not shipping more obviously, and now it's pretty far past so it's not even that newsworthy to pursue. If you can think of a compelling reason to bring it back, or add something to make it have teeth again, give it a shot.

DarkJedi5
03-19-2010, 10:25 AM
That's usually a guideline, yes, but it was correctly pointed out that if the question didn't get voted for in a specific timeframe, it was meaningless. That set is on clearance, they're not shipping more obviously, and now it's pretty far past so it's not even that newsworthy to pursue. If you can think of a compelling reason to bring it back, or add something to make it have teeth again, give it a shot.

The only compelling reason I can think of is that it would be a breeze to do. They already have the graphic on a computer somewhere, all they have to do is put it on the internet and let us download it and print it ourselves on a clear mailing label.

Neuroleptic
03-19-2010, 02:12 PM

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
The only compelling reason I can think of is that it would be a breeze to do. They already have the graphic on a computer somewhere, all they have to do is put it on the internet and let us download it and print it ourselves on a clear mailing label.I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to, that's LFL controlled materials, Hasbro can't let folks print out the original files. :ermm:

DarkJedi5
03-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to, that's LFL controlled materials, Hasbro can't let folks print out the original files. :ermm:

Alright, guess I'll have to make my own then....

Tycho
03-20-2010, 06:49 AM
New Questions:

Will Gha Nackt be released single-carded or will the Ambush on the Vulture's Claw battlepack be re-released?

Will the Galactic Heroes collection get a Republic Gunship vehicle? How about an AAT Tank?

El Chuxter
03-22-2010, 01:46 AM
I don't mean to jump any guns, but should we ask them about the Utris M'toc/BG-J38 leg I found at Target? Was this an intentional repack (despite the part to an otherwise unreleased droid), a mistake (and, if so, how widespread?), or will this wave wind up at non-TRU stores after all for whatever reason?

I just gotta say, dude, I am so baffled that I'm looking at a figure on my table right now who should be a store exclusive (from a different store, no less) and not available for about two months. I'd like to know if I got exceptionally lucky, or if those folks who were hating on the big H for what appeared to be a fiasco with Utris might have a shot at him after all.

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't mean to jump any guns, but should we ask them about the Utris M'toc/BG-J38 leg I found at Target? Was this an intentional repack (despite the part to an otherwise unreleased droid), a mistake (and, if so, how widespread?), or will this wave wind up at non-TRU stores after all for whatever reason?

I just gotta say, dude, I am so baffled that I'm looking at a figure on my table right now who should be a store exclusive (from a different store, no less) and not available for about two months. I'd like to know if I got exceptionally lucky, or if those folks who were hating on the big H for what appeared to be a fiasco with Utris might have a shot at him after all.

Or maybe someone bought the figure online and then "returned" it to Target using a receipt from a previous purchase.

El Chuxter
03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
But why? And why would it be in Target's system?

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 10:47 PM
But why? And why would it be in Target's system?

I haven't bought any figures from Target in a long time, so I don't remember exactly. However, I do know that SW figures on Walmart receipts simply say "Star Wars" followed by a UPC number. If Target receipts are similar then it would be easy for a customer to convince an otherwise unknowing or uncaring returns clerk that it's close enough. It's not like Target lost any money on the deal, since you bought it then the fraudulently refunded figure has been compensated for and everything has balanced out.

Why would someone return Utriss? I don't know, maybe they ordered a case online and only wanted the EU figures.

El Chuxter
03-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, but like I said in the other thread, anyone who knows what his story is would know that this figure is going to be in demand at an insane level, and would be worth a lot more than the measly $6.99 they're going for at Target.

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but like I said in the other thread, anyone who knows what his story is would know that this figure is going to be in demand at an insane level, and would be worth a lot more than the measly $6.99 they're going for at Target.

Yeah, but you're trying to assign logic to the actions of Star Wars collectors.

Tycho
03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
I didn't do this (return Utriss M'Toc- I don't have the one figure of him that I want myself) but I do plan on purchasing 8 each of Jaina and Jacen for my dioramas.

I love the fact that Star Wars continued - and in an organized chronology - after ROTJ. I want to recreate and display it like there were more movies and be able to see what that would have looked like.

If Utriss M'Toc joined the Rebellion, he wouldn't wear a Bespin Wing Guard uniform thereafter. And he might have stayed in Cloud City. Lando was the one who joined the Rebellion for certain, right?

Anyway, if someone ordered a caseload of figures to get a lot of the other EU characters, they might not want to scalp Utriss on eBay and they might want another collector to get it at retail price.

There's your explanation.

My Wal-Mart prints on the receipt the name of the character you bought so there isn't switching going on with returns. But Target uses the general sku number, from which the EU figures are Legacy, and thus would match any other Legacy figures. So theoretically, you could exchange Jaina for Plo Koon, though I have no idea why you'd want to (just pleast do it at my local Target :yes:) . Toys R Us also uses the same sku for Legacy figures.

The numbers might not match between the retailers, but what assortment (Legacy) the figures ship in will match with the rest of the same brand at the other two. It's only different at Wal-Mart in my experience.

DarkJedi5
03-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Anyway, if someone ordered a caseload of figures to get a lot of the other EU characters, they might not want to scalp Utriss on eBay and they might want another collector to get it at retail price.

There's your explanation.

But these aren't supposed to be released until May, where would you be able to get your hands on a whole case so far ahead of the general release and wouldn't we hear about it if some retailer was already sending them out? (I know it's possible that there's something happening on the down-low and so it would be kept very hush hush but a quick search of eBay turned up ONE Utris that the guy claims to have in hand in Chicago. If there was a consistent trickle of this wave wouldn't there be more of it on eBay?) I think this was just a happy accident for Chux that seems to be happening here and there but very rarely. Same could also be true for the IG-88 he found.

mtriv73
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
11, 6, 5 and I'll save the other one for now.

dindae
03-26-2010, 09:28 AM
2, 8, & 3 plus

I was curious about the Funeral Pyre Vader they show at Comic Con and whether it was going to see release or had met it's own funeral. I don't remember hearing about it one way or the other. But I confess I don't keep up as well as I use to.

bigbarada
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
2, 8, & 3 plus

I was curious about the Funeral Pyre Vader they show at Comic Con and whether it was going to see release or had met it's own funeral. I don't remember hearing about it one way or the other. But I confess I don't keep up as well as I use to.

Hasbro is not even bringing it up anymore so I'm assuming that it's dead in the water. Personally I don't care, I had no interest in it whatsoever.

I would rather Hasbro focus their resources on an all-new ROTJ Luke body and some better soft goods for Vader, rather than some silly funeral pyre that any fan could build with sticks and branches that they collect from their backyard.

JediTricks
03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
New Questions:

Will Gha Nackt be released single-carded or will the Ambush on the Vulture's Claw battlepack be re-released?I'm not adding this one right now because it's specific, it's about a 1-shot character, and there is an existing toy. Judging by past experience, it seems unlikely they'll rerelease him soon without additional media support.

Will the Galactic Heroes collection get a Republic Gunship vehicle? How about an AAT Tank?Right now, they aren't doing more vehicles. Since the whole concept is in the dreaded "maybe down the road" area, it doesn't have a lot of positive outcome chances.

I just gotta say, dude, I am so baffled that I'm looking at a figure on my table right now who should be a store exclusive (from a different store, no less) and not available for about two months. I'd like to know if I got exceptionally lucky, or if those folks who were hating on the big H for what appeared to be a fiasco with Utris might have a shot at him after all.The figure is not strictly a TRU exclusive, it's just that TRU will be the only brick & mortar to get 'em, but other etailers will have them too. I don't really see a reason to ask about it unless there's a general feeling it would lead to an answer that's not merely anomalousness.

I haven't bought any figures from Target in a long time, so I don't remember exactly. However, I do know that SW figures on Walmart receipts simply say "Star Wars" followed by a UPC number. If Target receipts are similar then it would be easy for a customer to convince an otherwise unknowing or uncaring returns clerk that it's close enough. It's not like Target lost any money on the deal, since you bought it then the fraudulently refunded figure has been compensated for and everything has balanced out.

Why would someone return Utriss? I don't know, maybe they ordered a case online and only wanted the EU figures.WM receipts may say "Star Wars", but each figure's UPC is separately entered in their system and printed on your receipt, they are individuals. That said, these figures weren't originally going to be exclusives, the UPCs are sent out many months in advance to the retailers, it's not surprising they would be in the system even if they never had 1 figure.

I was curious about the Funeral Pyre Vader they show at Comic Con and whether it was going to see release or had met it's own funeral. I don't remember hearing about it one way or the other. But I confess I don't keep up as well as I use to.The last series of answers about that set was that they felt the response was basically "there" and were hunting for a retail partner to sell it. That was in December. At this point, all the question could possibly confirm at its best is which retailer and when it's coming out, and it's just as likely that neither are set yet. Is that important enough that you think it's worth asking, or should we just wait? LMK.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-30-2010, 10:17 PM
4, 6, 9, and 10, champ.

El Chuxter
03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Unless I change my mind, 4, 10, 11, and 12.

dindae
03-31-2010, 12:40 AM
The last series of answers about that set was that they felt the response was basically "there" and were hunting for a retail partner to sell it. That was in December. At this point, all the question could possibly confirm at its best is which retailer and when it's coming out, and it's just as likely that neither are set yet. Is that important enough that you think it's worth asking, or should we just wait? LMK.

In general I was curious if they have been able to get a retailer or if it was going to be forced to an etail. Also MSRP, release date, did the electronics make it, was the figure changed, etc. Yes I would like it asked but if doesn't get the votes i'll wait.

JediTricks
03-31-2010, 03:48 AM
In general I was curious if they have been able to get a retailer or if it was going to be forced to an etail. Also MSRP, release date, did the electronics make it, was the figure changed, etc. Yes I would like it asked but if doesn't get the votes i'll wait.
$30 is the pricepoint they were aiming for, and it was a necessity to have electronic lights and sounds. There were a lot of suggestions for adding the music from the scene as well, Hasbro's feeling was that the licensing costs for that would be too heavy but they'd think about it.

I will give the question more thought, and would appreciate any feedback anybody else had on the matter

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm sort of willing to wait until the summer conventions to find out more about it. I think a question would just tell us to wait for them, anyway.

TheDarthVader
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
5, 11, 12 & save one

Sith Vicious
04-03-2010, 02:12 PM
New question:

Has any thought been given to bringing back the comic 2 packs without including the comic in order to make them more cost effective? Most people that have any interest in these probably already have the comic in question. Even for collectors who don't have it, frequently the comic included is only an incomplete part of a story. In either case, it may not add much value to the buyer.

El Chuxter
04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Y'know, I hadn't thought of it before, but that's not at all a bad question.

bigbarada
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
New question:

Has any thought been given to bringing back the comic 2 packs without including the comic in order to make them more cost effective? Most people that have any interest in these probably already have the comic in question. Even for collectors who don't have it, frequently the comic included is only an incomplete part of a story. In either case, it may not add much value to the buyer.

I'm pretty sure that Hasbro would say something about how they need the comic to give context to the figures. Basically, there aren't enough people who own the comics and/or who have knowledge of the characters beforehand, to justify the costs involved in making the figures. They need a way to entice buyers, who have never even heard of these characters, into buying these sets for them to be successful.

El Chuxter
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Maybe we could ask about the logic: no one's going to buy Quinlan Vos vs Villie who doesn't know who they are. And, if someone does just buy the set based on how cool the figures look, does that comic really make a difference? I know licensing them must've added a pretty good amount to the sets.

Sith Vicious
04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that Hasbro would say something about how they need the comic to give context to the figures. Basically, there aren't enough people who own the comics and/or who have knowledge of the characters beforehand, to justify the costs involved in making the figures. They need a way to entice buyers, who have never even heard of these characters, into buying these sets for them to be successful.

Maybe that's the reason but, if so, I don't think it's a great one. They might as well argue that nobody is going to buy a figure from The Force Unleashed or Knights of the Old Republic unless you include a copy of the video game to give it context. It's not like they're including a copy of a New Jedi Order novel with the Jacen Solo figure either.

El Chuxter
04-03-2010, 10:47 PM
This might be getting a bit far from your original question, SV, but I wonder if maybe they could go to an all-exclusive model (maybe through hasbrotoyshop.com) and offer two figures without a comic for the same price as the current comic packs. Or even offer EU figures only as exclusives.

bigbarada
04-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Maybe that's the reason but, if so, I don't think it's a great one. They might as well argue that nobody is going to buy a figure from The Force Unleashed or Knights of the Old Republic unless you include a copy of the video game to give it context. It's not like they're including a copy of a New Jedi Order novel with the Jacen Solo figure either.

Yeah, I don't think it's a great reason either, since someone has to actually purchase the figures before they can get the context of who they are. You can't read the comic first to decide if you like the characters or not. However, I fully believe that would be Hasbro's response, so it would be a wasted question.

obi-dad
04-04-2010, 01:21 PM
6, 10 & 11

Cane_Adiss
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
New Question:

It seems like when it comes to Revenge of the Sith there haven't been many really interesting new figure releases other than upgrades to characters and minor Jedi. While there are quite a few interesting background characters in ROTS, we haven't really heard from Hasbro if they have any really nifty new characters and aliens from this movie on the radar and which ones they'd most like to see released soon. So, Hasbro can we expect any totally new characters from ROTS in the next year or so?

Tycho
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I want to vote for 1, 2, 8, and 11.

By the way, with the question about color schemed exclusives: red for Target and blue for Walmart, why don't we have giraffe-colored armor for some clones with long neck abberations for Toys R Us?

If it's a 2-headed clone trooper, they can later re-card him as Cane Adiss. :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
New question:

I'm pretty sure that Hasbro would say something about how they need the comic to give context to the figures. Basically, there aren't enough people who own the comics and/or who have knowledge of the characters beforehand, to justify the costs involved in making the figures. They need a way to entice buyers, who have never even heard of these characters, into buying these sets for them to be successful.This is likely, but...

Maybe we could ask about the logic: no one's going to buy Quinlan Vos vs Villie who doesn't know who they are. And, if someone does just buy the set based on how cool the figures look, does that comic really make a difference? I know licensing them must've added a pretty good amount to the sets.This is quite true, the comics lend context only AFTER the customer has purchased them. On the other hand, when I bought the Joker Squad set, it would have been a much more satisfying purchase if I hadn't had to look up on the web all the info on the characters online.

This is a toughy, it's clearly a snake eating its own tail, but it has points on both sides. And continuing the discussion...

Maybe that's the reason but, if so, I don't think it's a great one. They might as well argue that nobody is going to buy a figure from The Force Unleashed or Knights of the Old Republic unless you include a copy of the video game to give it context. It's not like they're including a copy of a New Jedi Order novel with the Jacen Solo figure either.The difference is that video games have a wider appeal and have trailers and visual media released ahead of time that the public can get to know, while comics are contained within their own small audiences and their own medium.

This might be getting a bit far from your original question, SV, but I wonder if maybe they could go to an all-exclusive model (maybe through hasbrotoyshop.com) and offer two figures without a comic for the same price as the current comic packs. Or even offer EU figures only as exclusives.This seems unlikely, a suggestion on how to work with retailers is rough territory since we're not privy to all the details of their licenses and agreements. Also, new molds offered online only are pretty much guaranteed to never see the investment returned, so it's like asking a bank to take out a loan they know in advance won't be paid back - only without government intervention later. ;)

Here's what they said to us a year ago on Feb 27th, 2009, I've highlighted the portion that refers to this discussion:
CollectionStation.com: The Comic Packs are great since the addition of the comic books give these characters much-needed context, as the average kid and collector who mainly know the movies will likely not know these characters without seeing them in some sort of action. That said, there are still several other expanded universe products that have no context other than the small bio on their packaging. Would it be possible for comic books to also be included in EU multi-figure sets or vehicles as well? For instance, fans of Crimson Empire are liking the look of the upcoming Crucible set, while those who are unfamiliar with the work think it looks more like a cross between Star Wars and Power Rangers.

Hasbro: We feel better about the target audience when the sets go to a collector-targeted outlet such as Diamond Comics or Entertainment Earth. It's when the sets go to mass retailers as most comic 2-packs do that we feel we need to have that added context. We have thought about offering comics in the multi-figure sets, but usually it comes down to the package configuration and size. We'll take another look in the future to see if it merits the addition of the comic.
Since that answer, the line has died off, and they've announced they're scaling back on EU and tertiary characters in general. It seems like a bad recipe to ask about more EU figures that don't even have their chief contextual materials. That said, I'm not saying "no", but I do need more convincing arguments on the matter.

New Question:

It seems like when it comes to Revenge of the Sith there haven't been many really interesting new figure releases other than upgrades to characters and minor Jedi. While there are quite a few interesting background characters in ROTS, we haven't really heard from Hasbro if they have any really nifty new characters and aliens from this movie on the radar and which ones they'd most like to see released soon. So, Hasbro can we expect any totally new characters from ROTS in the next year or so?Considering how far off those figures would be, what with an existing ROTS wave already scheduled in the next 12 months, I don't think they'd answer at this point. We might see something at Comic-Con in July, but even then I doubt they'll go there until we get to November or so during the pre-toy-fair run-up, after we have seen all the images of the last of the themed waves. It's also the movie with the most complete coverage of modern figures, so it seems the least likely to get that sort of treatment. I'd like to table this question until after Comic-Con, then come back to it after we've heard what Hasbro has to say about the general future of the line.

sebillba
04-06-2010, 02:11 AM
I'll just vote for #10 for now.

DarkArtist
04-06-2010, 09:00 AM
at this time I'm only interested in Question #3.

JediTricks
04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Here are my 4 votes:

1 sideshow
2 droid legs
7 belt
8 colors

LTBasker
04-07-2010, 12:23 AM
3. - Have you considered sealing magnets into figures' feet and including metal stands to avoid the numerous problems that have come up with footpeg holes over the years? Kotobukiya is doing that with their new ARTFX+ line of statue kits to great success, and although 3.75" figures are a smaller medium, magnetic feet would go well with your action figure line with all its challenges keeping figures standing.

8. - Don't think we haven't noticed that some of your exclusives are playing a color-scheme war. Target, whose company logo is a big red bulls-eye, gets a red-accented TIE Fighter vehicle; Wal-mart, whose logo has been blue lettering for decades, gets a blue Octuptarra Droid vehicle. Wal-mart gets a blue 501st role-play helmet; Target gets a red Clone Trooper helmet with flashlight. Target gets Commander Fox, a red-hued Clone figure; Wal-mart gets the 501st Clone Trooper, a blue-accented figure. Confess! You're creating some of these exclusives with coloring themed to its specific retailer, aren't you? "Payola!" they'll all yell to the heavens as they learn of such treachery. Busted! So, are you guys doing this on purpose, and if so, how did it come up? Do your retail partners know that they're getting specially-tailored exclusives as are their rivals, and what do they think of it?

9. - Mace Windu has been represented in action figure form for 11 years now, and a large portion of those figures were released with some unique, non-standard aspect. Mace has been the first "sneak peek" and a mail-away in the modern line, the first hard-shell "choco" robe, AOTC had a deluxe before basic which has a smiling face and a second figure, AOTC basic had the screaming face, 2003 AOTC basic had the "ultimate lightsaber control" stick gimmick, ROTS had the Force Lightning throw-off gimmick, and now the Clone Wars version with removable armor and saber-swinging waist. While there have been a few normal Mace figures, and even a super-articulated one finally, it seems as if Mace Windu has been tapped by Hasbro to be the sculpting and gimmick guinea pig. Is this pattern intentional, do you think he can't sell without these sorts of things, is it just happenstance, or does someone there subliminally not realize they keep picking Mace to be the test guy?

11. - In past answers, you've said you have no foreseeable plans to re-release any of the Build-a-Droid existing droid characters again. However, for various reasons natural to collecting, many collectors found themselves with the problems of having too many of some droid parts, and more often, too few of others. Short production runs are an especially big problem for completing certain droids. The bottom line is that there are a lot of incomplete droids around, and some of the droids are army-buildable including the hard-to-get YVH-1, so even after working to complete 1, some collectors want several more. And the upcoming BG-J38 wave looks like it will be no picnic to complete either what with exclusivity and a very short production run. Aside from the notion of collectors coming back to the line spurring a Droid Factory playset with the possibility of using some of these parts, would you reconsider alternate methods to distributing these parts or whole droids, perhaps offering individual parts on HasbroToyShop, or bagged complete but unassembled droids in simple white box packaging, or perhaps some other method that lets collectors complete their build-a-droids?

Cane_Adiss
04-07-2010, 02:40 AM
For me:

1, 4, 6, 11

Thanks!

JediTricks
04-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Today is the last day to vote in this round, so if you haven't voted yet, now is the time!

I'm going to do my best to keep an eye on the Q&A which just hit this morning, but if you see an answer which affects one of our potential questions, please LMK in this thread!

El Chuxter
04-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Obviously not for this week, as there's no time to vote on it, but I'd like to toss this one out for consideration for the next round:

"Following up on one of your answers from April 8: You said, when asked about a possible running change for a particular figure, 'Because of the snafus we have had, there will be no more running changes. Period. Sad, but the hammer has come down on these.' To clarify, would this include paint (or even sculpt) variants that are available at the same time, as you did with the different heads for Imperial Officers a few years ago? Would such minor variations be a possibility still, provided they're available at the same time? True, concurrent variants do make certain figures a bit tougher to get, but provide a lot more flexibility in building armies of human characters whose heads aren't completely obscured by helmets without requiring the same figure be released multiple times."

JediTricks
04-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Obviously not for this week, as there's no time to vote on it, but I'd like to toss this one out for consideration for the next round:

"Following up on one of your answers from April 8: You said, when asked about a possible running change for a particular figure, 'Because of the snafus we have had, there will be no more running changes. Period. Sad, but the hammer has come down on these.' To clarify, would this include paint (or even sculpt) variants that are available at the same time, as you did with the different heads for Imperial Officers a few years ago? Would such minor variations be a possibility still, provided they're available at the same time? True, concurrent variants do make certain figures a bit tougher to get, but provide a lot more flexibility in building armies of human characters whose heads aren't completely obscured by helmets without requiring the same figure be released multiple times."
That's not actually a "running change", a running change is one that is consecutive rather than concurrent.

Can you remember the last figure that enjoyed that type of concurrent variation outside of the Saga Legends line? If so, hit me up with an example and I'll probably include the question.

BTW, did our own Cane Adiss get a question answered over on JediNews.UK? :D

I'm about to wrap this round up, but any last-minute votes will get counted.

JediTricks
04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Never fails. "Last call" and nobody posts. :p

Anyway, that's it for this round. Thanks to everybody who participated!

Here are the questions we're asking this round:

Questions from SirStevesGuide.com:
1) In past answers, you've said you have no foreseeable plans to re-release any of the Build-a-Droid existing droid characters again. However, for various reasons natural to collecting, many collectors found themselves with the problems of having too many of some droid parts, and more often, too few of others. Short production runs are an especially big problem for completing certain droids. The bottom line is that there are a lot of incomplete droids around, and some of the droids are army-buildable including the hard-to-get YVH-1, so even after working to complete 1, some collectors want several more. And the upcoming BG-J38 wave looks like it will be no picnic to complete either what with exclusivity and a very short production run. Aside from the notion of collectors coming back to the line spurring a Droid Factory playset with the possibility of using some of these parts, would you reconsider alternate methods to distributing these parts or whole droids, perhaps offering individual parts on HasbroToyShop, or bagged complete but unassembled droids in simple white box packaging, or perhaps some other method that lets collectors complete their build-a-droids?
2) Don't think we haven't noticed that some of your exclusives are playing a color-scheme war. Target, whose company logo is a big red bulls-eye, gets a red-accented TIE Fighter vehicle; Wal-mart, whose logo has been blue lettering for decades, gets a blue Octuptarra Droid vehicle. Wal-mart gets a blue 501st role-play helmet; Target gets a red Clone Trooper helmet with flashlight. Target gets Commander Fox, a red-hued Clone figure; Wal-mart gets the 501st Clone Trooper, a blue-accented figure. Confess! You're creating some of these exclusives with coloring themed to its specific retailer, aren't you? "Payola!" they'll all yell to the heavens as they learn of such treachery. Busted! So, are you guys doing this on purpose, and if so, how did it come up? Do your retail partners know that they're getting specially-tailored exclusives as are their rivals, and what do they think of it?
Questions from CollectionStation.com:
1) Usually, the only figures whose heads are painted rather than cast in flesh-tone plastic are those with a sculpted helmet, hood or large hair so the plastic matches the majority of the head. Though understandable, those painted faces aren't always that successful, noses are rubbed off by packaging, paint masks miss targets so they either over- or under-shoot, and the facial features don't look as crisp. Recently though, this has crept onto regular figures without hoods or the like. Evolutions Jango Fett is supposed to be a premium figure but has that - yes, it's likely a costing issue since it'd be the only flesh-toned part on the figure, but this is supposed to be a definitive version. Col Dyer from the Battle for Endor battle pack has flesh hands yet a painted head. And now Luke Tatooine from the Resurgence of the Jedi pack is the same way, that's an iconic figure with an impressive new sculpt, yet its sullied by the painted head syndrome. Maybe it's fine for kids, but these are collector-themed figures we're talking about, and too often it's sloppily applied and prone to the problems mentioned above, not to mention it softens the sculpted facial features you guys work hard to produce. So why use painted heads on those sorts of figures? Will there be a focus to lean on this less in the future? Might those Jango and Luke figures get cast instead of painted heads on their next runs?
2) In a previous Q&A, you mentioned that "[Hasbro] will continue working with Sideshow on their 12" figure program." As we know, Sideshow sub-licenses their 12" Star Wars through Hasbro's Star Wars license, but the intricacies of this relationship are not fully understood. With your recent comment above, collectors are ever more curious as to how exactly Hasbro and Sideshow work together on that 12" figure line. What types of input and interaction does Hasbro have into the Star Wars items that Sideshow produces?

Look for a new round of voting soon.