PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Longsaber worth?

Warped
03-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Hello. Does anyone know if this is worth anything. I keep it sealed cause I was told it was. The card is mint except for the sticker and a small crease on the lower right of the card. Thank You

TheDarthVader
03-21-2010, 12:52 PM
About $8-12. That is my best estimate.

JediTricks
03-21-2010, 04:41 PM
On ebay, they're closing sub-$10, many even sub-$5. Unfortunately, their heyday has since past. The price-grabbing variants of the POTF2 line are all dead, including the myriad of Boba Fett paint apps, even the short-saber/long-tray variants. POTF2 just didn't have the legs of the Kenner vintage line.

bigbarada
03-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, demand for the early POTF2 toys is pretty much zero right now. I wouldn't pay more than $1-$2 for any carded POTF2 figure at this point. Even that is too high of a price for most of them.

Warped
03-21-2010, 05:23 PM
This saddens me. Thank You for the info. Guess I will throw him in a box. I have one open and displayed. Maybe he will be worth something to my kids.

bigbarada
03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
On ebay, they're closing sub-$10, many even sub-$5. Unfortunately, their heyday has since past. The price-grabbing variants of the POTF2 line are all dead, including the myriad of Boba Fett paint apps, even the short-saber/long-tray variants. POTF2 just didn't have the legs of the Kenner vintage line.

It's interesting that POTF2 hits it's 15th birthday this year and demand for the toys is lower than ever. By the Kenner line's 15th birthday (1993) we were already seeing a renewed interest in the toys. Mainly evidenced by the success of Steve Sansweet's book, From Concept To Screen To Collectible.

Neuroleptic
03-21-2010, 08:56 PM
About 5 years ago now I put my compleate carded POTF2 collection along with a few exteras up for ebay and it went for about 200 dollars. Glad I did that when I did, as today that same lot would probably be down right lucky to touch 30.

JediTricks
03-21-2010, 08:59 PM
If you look at it now, except for very rare figures, even Kenner vintage figures are going for next to nothing. The difference from now vs. then is that in the '90s, there was a lot of money and no product which created a seller's market - there was demand vs. no supply. Now there's no money and lots of product, so the nostalgia isn't carrying the lesser variations, and the greater variations are appealing only to a slim niche market. There's also less demand since we've had 15 years of modern product, as well as 7 Star Wars movies released into theaters in the interim, an ongoing show, and several successful video game series.

bigbarada
03-21-2010, 10:06 PM
If you look at it now, except for very rare figures, even Kenner vintage figures are going for next to nothing. The difference from now vs. then is that in the '90s, there was a lot of money and no product which created a seller's market - there was demand vs. no supply. Now there's no money and lots of product, so the nostalgia isn't carrying the lesser variations, and the greater variations are appealing only to a slim niche market. There's also less demand since we've had 15 years of modern product, as well as 7 Star Wars movies released into theaters in the interim, an ongoing show, and several successful video game series.

It also doesn't help that every single figure originally sold in 1995 has been remade several times and significantly improved upon over the years. So the POTF2 figures are like the middle children in the Star Wars collecting universe. They don't have the distinction of being the original versions and they are far from being the newest, improved versions. So they essentially get pushed off into irrelevance.