PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a Fisher Space Pen?

JediTricks
03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
For those who don't know, Fisher makes the Space Pen, using their pen ink cartridge that is pressurized to write upside-down or in zero-gravity. The ink is specially formulated to write on most any surface, even grease, and can even write underwater. It is also designed to hold up against temperature extremes and at high altitudes. It has indeed been a pen used in NASA space missions for decades (before that, pencils were used but the leads would break off and there was a concern that they would cause a problem to instruments).

I have 3.
- A blue "bullet pen" to replace the silver one I lost on the way back at '07 Comic-Con,
- a black metal anti-glare military "cap-o-matic" pen (for when I need to write documents without being seen by snipers I guess),
- and a classic Fisher "Astronaut pen" with a spiraling graph etched deco that my grandparents gave me.

I've never had a Fisher pen run out of ink on me, I always lose them first. :p

So, who else has 1 or more of these things, thus proving their true nerdom?

TeeEye7
03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Place me on the nerdom list, JT, I have one (only), too. Got it as a gift many moons ago. It's in a drawer, because it's just too small for my mitts to write with, so it hasn't been in use very much at all. They are cool, though!

LusiferSam
03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I hate pens. I use mechanical pencils for every day stuff. What I really like about the Fisher pens is ability to write at odd angles. Normal ball points (and by extension fountain pens) fail miserably at most angles past vertical. Personally I love the highly apocryphal story about NASA, the astronaut pen, the Russians and their pencils.

Darth Jax
03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
i had one but i gave it to Jack Klompus

Rocketboy
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Stop spamming.

TheDarthVader
03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I do not have one and have no interest in buying one. They are pretty neat.....but not worth the price they charge.

InsaneJediGirl
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I got the classic "Astronaut Pen" from Kennedy Space Center as a kid. It was an awesome pen, but like you JT I lost it before it ran out of ink. I've wanted another one but I lose my nicest pens all the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I remember hearing about them, had a brief interest in one, then let it fade like, well, ink on a medievel [sp?] parchment.

But as far as mechanical pencils go, they are worthless to me. It may not be environmentally conscious, but a "regular" #2 style is the only one for me; don't need to have lead, and the CORRECT size lead, too.

JediTricks
03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
I hate pens. I use mechanical pencils for every day stuff. What I really like about the Fisher pens is ability to write at odd angles. Normal ball points (and by extension fountain pens) fail miserably at most angles past vertical. Personally I love the highly apocryphal story about NASA, the astronaut pen, the Russians and their pencils.Normal pens use gravity to move the ink to the tip, since there's no gravity in space that wouldn't work. I find myself also cursing pens when I want to write vertically and they cop out on me.

I can't stand that Russian pencil tale. :p

i had one but i gave it to Jack KlompusOy, Seinfeld reference not accepted.

I do not have one and have no interest in buying one. They are pretty neat.....but not worth the price they charge.Having done my grandma's bills for the past 3 years using cheap bic pens, I have grown to appreciate nicer pens that also can't be washed out of paper. The bullet was $12 at Staples, generally they're $10 to $20, and ink refills are $4, and they last much longer than regular pens. Doesn't seem that high to me. And I paid $10 for the cap-o-matic military black pen on Amazon. So it dePENds (ugh) on what you're looking for.

I got the classic "Astronaut Pen" from Kennedy Space Center as a kid. It was an awesome pen, but like you JT I lost it before it ran out of ink. I've wanted another one but I lose my nicest pens all the time.Oh, that's the best place to get that pen, too!

I must confess, I never use my more expensive gift pens anymore, after losing too many they go in my briefcase or pen cup never to be appreciated as much as they should. The Fisher pens are the only non-disposable pens I take with me anymore, and I think about them more to ensure they make it back home. :p

But as far as mechanical pencils go, they are worthless to me. It may not be environmentally conscious, but a "regular" #2 style is the only one for me; don't need to have lead, and the CORRECT size lead, too.I used pencils at comic-con for some reporting stuff, and noticed that the #2 lead tips get fat very fast and end up taking up more space in my memo books, yet aren't as easy to read. Anything where I had scheduling notes on paper I'd end up having to re-write them in pen. Plus, can't sharpen a pencil on the fly. I used to love mechanical pencils as a kid, but having to constantly change leads (I push pretty hard on my writing tools) and having the last little bit fall out became too much of a problem. I do like pencil for sketching though.

Ando
03-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Ha!

I have one, too JediTricks.

My wife received one from Google a few years ago as a promo/giveaway/gift (it has their logo on it) for som work she did with them that year but gave it to me since she doesn't use ball points. I'd always heard of them, but never had thought of spending real money on a pen that I'd eventually lose, but I started using it immediately.

It's the standard silver bullet version. I used it until I ran out of ink and when I couldn't find anyone local to buy refills from, I stopped carrying it around. One day I found out that the knife shop at the mall carries the refills, so I have been using it again since January.

I really like it because of how compact it is. I keep it in my pocket along with my Slip N Snip fold up scissors, Both are made of shiny metal and made in the USA and surprising handy to have around. I should probably buy a new one as a backup in case I eventually lose this one.

I use mine everyday, so I am on my 2nd refill of the year and 3rd since I got it. For a free pen, it's been great. Like I said, I like how compact and unobtrusive it is, so it's been really handy to have.

El Chuxter
03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't see the point in them. There are no fish in space, and who fishes using a pen, anyway?

JediTricks
03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I forgot to mention, another great thing about Fisher Space Pens is that they're made in the USA.
My wife received one from Google a few years ago as a promo/giveaway/gift (it has their logo on it) for som work she did with them that year but gave it to me since she doesn't use ball points. I'd always heard of them, but never had thought of spending real money on a pen that I'd eventually lose, but I started using it immediately.What does your wife use if not ball-points?

It's the standard silver bullet version. I used it until I ran out of ink and when I couldn't find anyone local to buy refills from, I stopped carrying it around. One day I found out that the knife shop at the mall carries the refills, so I have been using it again since January.Oh, cool, glad to hear you have a supply now! You're also the first person I've heard use one up. :D Staples carries the refills around here, you may want to check them up where you are.

I really like it because of how compact it is. I keep it in my pocket along with my Slip N Snip fold up scissors, Both are made of shiny metal and made in the USA and surprising handy to have around. I should probably buy a new one as a backup in case I eventually lose this one."Be prepared", very nice. I keep trying to find a nice multi-tool that I can clip to my keys that won't be too bulky, but I'm so picky that I haven't come up with one yet.

I use mine everyday, so I am on my 2nd refill of the year and 3rd since I got it. For a free pen, it's been great. Like I said, I like how compact and unobtrusive it is, so it's been really handy to have.Dang, right on! You really use it, that's an impressive amount of ink! How much are you paying per cartridge?

I don't see the point in them. There are no fish in space, and who fishes using a pen, anyway?This guy: http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/fshpen402.html

Ando
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I forgot to mention, another great thing about Fisher Space Pens is that they're made in the USA. What does your wife use if not ball-points?

Oh, cool, glad to hear you have a supply now! You're also the first person I've heard use one up. :D Staples carries the refills around here, you may want to check them up where you are.

"Be prepared", very nice. I keep trying to find a nice multi-tool that I can clip to my keys that won't be too bulky, but I'm so picky that I haven't come up with one yet.

Dang, right on! You really use it, that's an impressive amount of ink! How much are you paying per cartridge?

I am making a concerted effort to buy American or at the very least buy things that are made by a Oregon based or US based company.

She likes the Uniball/felt tip style pens.

Everytime I go into Excalibut Cutlery, they either are out of stock or just have 1, so I buy 1 when I find them. I will have to check out Staples, thanks for the tip!

I was a Life Scout, so I live the "Be Prepared" lifestyle. I also carry a Benchmade auto OTF or 2 (made in the USA/Made in Oregon) along with my Leatherman Wave (made in Oregon as well) and a host of other gadgets and tools in my bag that I keep with me during the work week.

I pay $4.95 per cartridge which I don't mind, since I now have a grown up pen after all these years instead of whatever I have my accounting gal buy for the office and I always have it on me, something that I never would have conceived of needing before I hit my 30's.

I forgot to mention something... When the cap is on, the rounded tips on either end make a pretty good improvised stylus for my smart phone (Garmin NuviFone G60).

JT, take a look at these "keychain" multi-tools (http://www.leatherman.com/products/family.asp?f=8&c=1) from Leatherman. You might find what you're looking for.

Neat thread... Thanks for starting it! It was funny, I was at a work lunch and loaned my Space pen to my dad so he could write some notes and I panicked when we all got up because I didn't remember him giving it back to me.

JEDIpartner
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I have Fisher Stevens' pen... I took it from his pocket at a charity event.

2-1B
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM

:thumbsup:

Oy, Seinfeld reference not accepted.

"My pen! My pen! My pen is missing! I've lost my pen, the one I do all my work with! Has anybody here seen my pen? It was in my pocket before. No? Ok, everything's fine. I'm alright."

JimJamBonds
03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
"My pen! My pen! My pen is missing! I've lost my pen, the one I do all my work with! Has anybody here seen my pen? It was in my pocket before. No? Ok, everything's fine. I'm alright."

Classic K.I.T.H.!

JediTricks
03-24-2010, 01:01 AM
She likes the Uniball/felt tip style pens. I notice women seem to dig both the fine Uniball style pen, and felt tip pens in general. I find the Uniball pen quite scratchy, which I don't care for, but it does make my writing look less awful.

Everytime I go into Excalibut Cutlery, they either are out of stock or just have 1, so I buy 1 when I find them. I will have to check out Staples, thanks for the tip!Sure thing, good luck. And if they don't have 'em, I guess you could always mail away to Fisher, there's an ad on the cartridge pens to send $5 to them for a replacement black cartridge. :p That IMO is so old-school that it has both charm and awkwardness, like Orville Redenbacher. ;)

I was a Life Scout, so I live the "Be Prepared" lifestyle. I also carry a Benchmade auto OTF or 2 (made in the USA/Made in Oregon) along with my Leatherman Wave (made in Oregon as well) and a host of other gadgets and tools in my bag that I keep with me during the work week.Nice! I was in Boy Scouts for a while, so I try to be prepared too, but I find mostly it's my car that ends up prepared, like a lady's handbag. :p

I pay $4.95 per cartridge which I don't mind, since I now have a grown up pen after all these years instead of whatever I have my accounting gal buy for the office and I always have it on me, something that I never would have conceived of needing before I hit my 30's.I guess I've always been prematurely old then. ;) (I've been told that a lot, actually.)

I forgot to mention something... When the cap is on, the rounded tips on either end make a pretty good improvised stylus for my smart phone (Garmin NuviFone G60).They make a version of the space pen that has an actual stylus at the end, but I think it costs a little more.

JT, take a look at these "keychain" multi-tools (http://www.leatherman.com/products/family.asp?f=8&c=1) from Leatherman. You might find what you're looking for.Funny you should mention that, I have a Leatherman Micra, but it was a gift and I feel A) too guilty to leave it on my keys which will quickly get it full of crud; and B) that it's too useful around the house to not have handy. My dad gave me a different brand tool that was smaller and decent, but it was so small it got lost - damned irony. I'm super picky.

Neat thread... Thanks for starting it! It was funny, I was at a work lunch and loaned my Space pen to my dad so he could write some notes and I panicked when we all got up because I didn't remember him giving it back to me.Glad to hear it. When I was in junior high school, my nerd buddies and I would talk about stuff like this all the time and I didn't realize how much I missed talking about functional stuff like this.

Ha! That is a fear I bet every owner of a space pen knows too well. :D

I have Fisher Stevens' pen... I took it from his pocket at a charity event.Was he standing there besides himself? (10 points to the getter of that reference)

:thumbsup:"My pen! My pen! My pen is missing! I've lost my pen, the one I do all my work with! Has anybody here seen my pen? It was in my pocket before. No? Ok, everything's fine. I'm alright."Kids in the Hall reference reluctantly accepted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEUy8NzazE
Few do 'nervous Canadian' better than Bruce McCulloch.

TeeEye7
03-24-2010, 03:52 AM
I also carry a Benchmade auto OTF or 2...

Oh, quit bragging! ;)

:jealous:

Ando
03-24-2010, 11:07 AM
They make a version of the space pen that has an actual stylus at the end, but I think it costs a little more.

After my last post, I went to their site and saw that! I actually got pretty excited about that. I think that version will be my next one and I will keep my current one as a backup.

@TeeEye7: No.

JimJamBonds
03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Kids in the Hall reference reluctantly accepted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEUy8NzazE
Few do 'nervous Canadian' better than Bruce McCulloch.

Reluctantly accepted? Come on KITH is great!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
But what if it was a Carrie Fisher floating "magic" pen? Hold it one way, you see her in the Boushh disguise, but hold it upside down from there... Jabba's slave girl. :eek:

JediTricks
03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
After my last post, I went to their site and saw that! I actually got pretty excited about that. I think that version will be my next one and I will keep my current one as a backup.Very cool!

Reluctantly accepted? Come on KITH is great!The pen in said bit is not a Fisher Space Pen made in the USA, it's some cheap disposable Canadian pen. :p

But what if it was a Carrie Fisher floating "magic" pen? Hold it one way, you see her in the Boushh disguise, but hold it upside down from there... Jabba's slave girl. :eek:"I am not talking to Anthony from Ohio!" (20 points for the getter of that reference)

TeeEye7
03-25-2010, 04:14 AM
[FONT=Courier New]@TeeEye7: No.

lol

I'm just hoping one day to live in a state where the politicians trust their constituents and quit interfering in all aspects of their lives. Sadly, I know it doesn't exist...especially here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Ando
03-25-2010, 11:14 AM
lol

I'm just hoping one day to live in a state where the politicians trust their constituents and quit interfering in all aspects of their lives. Sadly, I know it doesn't exist...especially here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Well, don't look at Oregon. We're a blue state*. The * is because the Portland metropolitan area accounts for a majority of the population and outvotes the more rural and conservative population in the other areas of the state. There's more red counties than blue, but high population counties are blue.

Our restrictions (or lack thereof) regarding automatic knives notwithstanding. Our gun laws are pretty favorable regarding open carry and CCW's as well.

Aren't you in law enforcement? You'd be allowed to carry an automatic knife, right?

TeeEye7
03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
[FONT=Courier New]Aren't you in law enforcement? You'd be allowed to carry an automatic knife, right?

Yes, but shouldn't responsible people be able to as well? Kali doesn't believe (nor trust) its citizenry to be able to. There's the pity. Your state shows it can be done. For Heaven's sake, we're talking about a tool, after all!

Ando
03-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Yes, but shouldn't responsible people be able to as well? Kali doesn't believe (nor trust) its citizenry to be able to. There's the pity. Your state shows it can be done. For Heaven's sake, we're talking about a tool, after all!

I agree with you 100%.

JediTricks
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, but shouldn't responsible people be able to as well? Kali doesn't believe (nor trust) its citizenry to be able to. There's the pity. Your state shows it can be done. For Heaven's sake, we're talking about a tool, after all!Ok, WTF? How did you guys get into this political discussion?

Anyway, automatic knives, daggers and balisongs not withstanding, California has a very open knife law. Any folding knife with a bias towards closing is legal at any size, concealed or not. Any non-folding knife is legal to carry concealed or open. Any automatic knife including a balisong with a blade below 2" is legal, I have a switchblade that small, it's cute but in nearly the same amount of time I can flick my Spyderco knives open one-handed and I have total control over the blade and the handle is much stronger, and I'm not breaking the law.

Ando
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok, WTF? How did you guys get into this political discussion?

Anyway, automatic knives, daggers and balisongs not withstanding, California has a very open knife law. Any folding knife with a bias towards closing is legal at any size, concealed or not. Any non-folding knife is legal to carry concealed or open. Any automatic knife including a balisong with a blade below 2" is legal, I have a switchblade that small, it's cute but in nearly the same amount of time I can flick my Spyderco knives open one-handed and I have total control over the blade and the handle is much stronger, and I'm not breaking the law.

Sorry dude, my fault for getting off topic.

That's interesting to know about California's knife laws. May I ask what type/make of auto you have?

LTBasker
03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
I've always wanted a space pen, but generally am content with the cheap extra or two from a package whenever someone in my family buys a pack of pens.

May have to get one sometime soon, since I never checked out their site before now and didn't know they had ones for $10-20.

JediTricks
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Sorry dude, my fault for getting off topic.

That's interesting to know about California's knife laws. May I ask what type/make of auto you have? Ok.

Some no-name cheap chinese lockblade piece of crap I bought for $8 at Frank & Sons, a local semi-weekly collector show ("collector" as in Star Wars figures, Hot Wheels, etc.). Every 30 opens or so I have to tighten down its screws and hex-bolt because it has quite a kick and the ZAMAC handle doesn't lock the screws down that well. It's got a partly serrated blade and a fat skeletal handle, the trigger is a big button on the right that also acts as the blade lock. If it were better made, it'd actually be a pretty decent knife. As it is, it's an insult to my little knife collection. ;)

A lot of geek-centric conventions around here have been getting cheap knife & sword dealer booths, SDCC had half a dozen last year, them and Airsoft firearm replicas (some of the ones they sell aren't legal in CA but nobody stops them).

I've always wanted a space pen, but generally am content with the cheap extra or two from a package whenever someone in my family buys a pack of pens.

May have to get one sometime soon, since I never checked out their site before now and didn't know they had ones for $10-20.Yup, and try Amazon, they usually have a good assortment at those prices as well. Staples only carries them in-store, not online, but if you have them by you, try there too.

Oh, and if you get the bullet pen in a box, it'll probably come in a nifty clear display box with base that looks like the moon's surface. :D My first one came in the same box but it was opaque with an undecorated base, annoyingly I still have the box but not the pen. :p My mom's pen came with the nifty box, she lost that pen finally too.

Ando
03-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh, and if you get the bullet pen in a box, it'll probably come in a nifty clear display box with base that looks like the moon's surface. :D My first one came in the same box but it was opaque with an undecorated base, annoyingly I still have the box but not the pen. :p My mom's pen came with the nifty box, she lost that pen finally too.

I lost the little box that mine came in :(... But I still have the pen, which I think is the most important part.

Darth Jax
03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
have to use very specific pen/ink at work (since everything is scanned and digitized) so no point in having fancy pens that i'd only use (and lose) at home.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I lost the little box that mine came in :(... But I still have the pen, which I think is the most important part.Not if you're gonna sell it as MIMB! ;)

JT, I actually plan on stopping by F&S tomorrow; want me to pick you up a replacement blade? :D Or some Magic the Gathering cards? Or a been-in-a-bi-for-years E1 Jedi Padawan Anakin?

Ando
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Not if you're gonna sell it as MIMB!

Since I am an opener, it's not an issue. :thumbsup:

I went to Staples on Saturday and found plenty of Fisher Space Pen refills. $4.XX each. Picked up 3. I should be good to go for months!

JediTricks
03-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it worked out!

Ando
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it worked out!

Thanks again for the tip! That helped out in a major way.

The Staples that I found them at is in the same shopping complex that I go to a lot and is super convenient for me to get to.

Ando
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
2010 Fisher Space Pen refill count update:

I have purchased 5 refills since January. I have 2 left and I am probably a day or two away from breaking one of those open.

JediTricks
05-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Dang, you writing in your sleep now, Ando?

Ando
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Nope! Although I can imagine that's what it sounds like! I'm in inside sales and the GM at my father's company, so I use it every minute of every hour of every day writing notes, orders, signing checks, etc.

I have 1 more spare refill in my bag. When I bust that one open (I predict June or July), I will head back to Staples for a few more.

JediTricks
05-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I cannot fathom that much writing, especially when these cartridges last me for years. How have your fingers not fallen off? :D

Darth Jax
05-28-2010, 07:02 PM
the finger bones connected to the wrist bone and the wrist bones connected to the arm bone or so i learned in school (when it actually skin and ligaments that keep them from falling off)

JediTricks
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM
the finger bones connected to the wrist bone and the wrist bones connected to the arm bone or so i learned in school (when it actually skin and ligaments that keep them from falling off)
Yeah, but Ando's finger bones are probably pulverized into dust by now. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm a frequent writer (but not near Ando's levels) on paper, and I prefer Erasermate erasable pens (I may be one of the few customers keeping them in business) for notes or creative writing.

Yeah, but Ando's finger bones are probably pulverized into dust by now. :pUnless he bought the Fisher Space Wrist Guard accessory.

Darth Jax
05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
the hospital where i work requires we use a specific type of gel pen - i go through about one a week. but they won't get refills for them, because they can just new pens in bulk cheaper

JediTricks
05-29-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm a frequent writer (but not near Ando's levels) on paper, and I prefer Erasermate erasable pens (I may be one of the few customers keeping them in business) for notes or creative writing.Ugh, I always wanted to like those in school, but mostly they would erase right through the paper.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2010, 10:14 PM
You're probably thinking of the Scripto ones; they weren't so good at being erasable items.

JediTricks
05-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think so, I remember being bothered by Scripto because of the name. Probably an Eraser Mate pen from Paper Mate.

Ando
06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I cannot fathom that much writing, especially when these cartridges last me for years. How have your fingers not fallen off? :D

I'm in inside sales and I take a lot of notes for every phone call/sale that I take/make. It adds up after a while. I fill up a spiral notebook every month or two.

It's not nearly as much writing as I did when I was in junior high/high school, but it's still a lot.

When I buy into the (family) business later this year or next, I will have my accounting lady add the refills to the company supply list. Right now I pay for them myself, but I will make it a perk (there aren't many right now) when I am a part owner (with dad).

It surprises me how fast I go through them as well!

In other Space Pen news, I was at the knife store at the mall this weekend and finally saw the silver bullet with the stylus tip that I have had my eye on. It's $24.95 w/out the clip vs $24.00 on the official website. I think I will probably pick it up in the next few months so I have a back up.

JediTricks
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
You know, each cartridge is said to write for 30.7 miles. Do the math. Do the scary math. You do more writing than most people do walking. :D Your fingers have done 15 miles a month! I'm picturing tiny little bulging finger-biceps, all covered in vascularity and wearing tiny finger Speedos. ;)

Their clip for the bullet bugs me, I've had it pop or slide off several times, I wish they'd release one with the clip welded to the body. Still, I'd get the clip one over the non-clip, and I'd charge it to my company. :greedy:

Ando
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
You know, each cartridge is said to write for 30.7 miles. Do the math. Do the scary math. You do more writing than most people do walking. :D Your fingers have done 15 miles a month! I'm picturing tiny little bulging finger-biceps, all covered in vascularity and wearing tiny finger Speedos. ;)

Their clip for the bullet bugs me, I've had it pop or slide off several times, I wish they'd release one with the clip welded to the body. Still, I'd get the clip one over the non-clip, and I'd charge it to my company. :greedy:

Wow! That IS a lot! I've been saving the spent cartridges because I noticed that sometimes they're not completely out of ink, but the writing just gets a little scratchy, so I have 3 on my desk that I am saving because I don't just want to throw them away when they still might have a few days/weeks left in them.

Yeah, the clip is a pain, but now I just put the cap back on and put it in my front pocket because it's short enough and the ends are rounded so it doesn't catch on the pocket or anything.

Seriously though, now that I have found a place to buy refills (thanks again!:thumbsup:), I really love this pen.

JediTricks
06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I would have thought the pressurized nature of the cartridge should give equal writing quality from full to empty since it uses an internal float to push the ink down, but I guess when you relieve most of the pressure of the ink itself, it might lessen the flow of the ink to the ball. It's also possible that you've done so much writing that you're wearing the ball or the housing around the ball down, but the housing is pretty strong stuff and the ball is tungsten carbide. You probably are actually running the ink down to the last little bit when it gets scratchy, which would suggest you're really writing an average of 30 miles every 2 months, that's quite impressive.

Seems like you've got quite a bit of... "mileage" (ugh) out of that free pen!

Ando
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I would have thought the pressurized nature of the cartridge should give equal writing quality from full to empty since it uses an internal float to push the ink down, but I guess when you relieve most of the pressure of the ink itself, it might lessen the flow of the ink to the ball. It's also possible that you've done so much writing that you're wearing the ball or the housing around the ball down, but the housing is pretty strong stuff and the ball is tungsten carbide. You probably are actually running the ink down to the last little bit when it gets scratchy, which would suggest you're really writing an average of 30 miles every 2 months, that's quite impressive.

Seems like you've got quite a bit of... "mileage" (ugh) out of that free pen!

I sure have! It's been a great pen.

El Chuxter
06-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Slicker's Mom has a Fisher Space Pen.

You don't want to ask to borrow it. Trust me.

Ando
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
The silver bullet pen with the stylus cap was on sale at Excalibur Cutlery over the weekend for 20% off ($20.00), so I went ahead and picked it up.

I took the clip off of my old one and put it on the new one.

I wish I'd had one of these a while ago because it makes using the web browser on my Garmin NuviFone a LOT easier and I doubt the screen would be as scratched up as it is now.

JEDIpartner
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Fisher Price hens anyone? :D

JediTricks
06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
The silver bullet pen with the stylus cap was on sale at Excalibur Cutlery over the weekend for 20% off ($20.00), so I went ahead and picked it up.

I took the clip off of my old one and put it on the new one.

I wish I'd had one of these a while ago because it makes using the web browser on my Garmin NuviFone a LOT easier and I doubt the screen would be as scratched up as it is now.Cool, that worked out pretty good.

I was just walking back from voting and thinking about how you write more than my grandmother drives her car. :p

Ando
06-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Cool, that worked out pretty good.

I was just walking back from voting and thinking about how you write more than my grandmother drives her car. :p

That's funny! I ended up giving the other, older Space Pen to my old man so he can always have a pen on him. He always seems to be borrowing mine at business lunches and dinners.

JediTricks
06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Dang, that pen gets around! First google, then your wife, then you, now your pops.

Ando
06-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Dang, that pen gets around! First google, then your wife, then you, now your pops.

And then whoever picks it up if/when my old man loses it.

JediTricks
06-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Which will be likely since you copped the clip from it. :D

Ando
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, he's done pretty good so far. This is the sort of thing that he'll either lose or break in the first 24-48 hours or hold onto forever.

He's doing what I do and just keeping it in his front pocket of his pants or jeans.

He jokingly said he lost it yesterday and then demanded that I hand over my new one to which I said "NOPE.".

Ando
07-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Put in a new refill today.

Bought 3 refills a few weeks ago, bringing my spares count to 4, minus today's, I am down to 3 reserve.