View Full Version : We have our Cap'n America

preacher
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
And its...

Chris Evans

http://www.superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9193

JimJamBonds
03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Interesting, I liked him in Not Another Teen Movie so I guess I'll give him a shot in this one as well.

2-1B
03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."

"I need names...and shots."

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Excellent choice! :thumbsup: He was actually the best character in the Fantastic Four movies and he definitely fits the physical requirements for the role as well.

2-1B
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
plus if they need a scene where he has to rescue Kim Basinger while his cell phone battery is dying...he'll be prepared for that as well.

preacher
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
He was in cellular? He wasn't half bad in that one. I agree I think Chris Evans is a good choice.

Tatum would've been an alright chase physcially, but his acting could use some work.

BTW Hugo Weaving will be the Red Skull in case you didn't know.

El Chuxter
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Hugo Weaving is awesome in everything except Transformers. Not even John Turturro was awesome in that turd.

I know little about this guy, having avoided the films that share a name with a once great comic book. He seems a tad young, but maybe I'm wrong. I wish him luck in wielding his mighty shield, knowing that those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 10:50 PM
He was in cellular? He wasn't half bad in that one. I agree I think Chris Evans is a good choice.

Tatum would've been an alright chase physcially, but his acting could use some work.

BTW Hugo Weaving will be the Red Skull in case you didn't know.

I just read that about Hugo Weaving and he'll be a great choice since all they have to do is paint his gigantic cranium red and he's a perfect Red Skull. :D

I'm really just relieved that the rumors of Will Smith playing Captain America have been proven false.

JimJamBonds
03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
plus if they need a scene where he has to rescue Kim Basinger while his cell phone battery is dying...he'll be prepared for that as well.

Or if there is a bet that he can take the 'ugly girl' and make her into the 'hot girl' he has that covered as well.

jjreason
03-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I wonder how they're going to retcon Steve Rogers actually being Johnny Storm in the comics. :(

Rocketboy
03-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I wonder how they're going to retcon Steve Rogers actually being Johnny Storm in the comics. :(A massive, long running saga involving clones.
It worked for Spider-man.

Oh, wait...

Maradona
03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm a bit cautious with my optimism here. I, too, liked him as the Torch (in a mediocre at best film - didn't bother with the sequel), but what I appreciated most about his performance: a natural exuberance and cockiness, is not a part of the Captain America we know and love. I just hope Marvel isn't looking to have him be Johnny Storm with a vibranium shield.

Rocketboy
10-29-2010, 04:47 PM
For those who haven't seen it - Cap in costume (and more movie pics).
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20385926_20437910_1,00.html

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I hate ads that expand past their boundaries and cover up navigation links on a page. :mad:

That aside, looks witchin'.

bigbarada
10-29-2010, 08:23 PM
For those who haven't seen it - Cap in costume (and more movie pics).
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20385926_20437910_1,00.html

After the disappointment from the Thor movie images that I've seen so far, the recasting of Bruce Banner, and Iron Man 2; I'm actually pretty surprised and impressed by the look of Captain America. My hopes for the Avengers movie franchise have been restored a little bit.

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm interested in seeing where Cap is going? It looks good so far, I hope they keep him in the past for as long as possible....that is what made the first Highlander so awesome!

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
And what made the second so awesome was Sean Connery coming back with no explanation whatsoever, then immediately learning they were all aliens!

No, wait, that's what made the second one so $#@++y.

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 09:14 PM
In the end there can be more than one....

Maradona
10-29-2010, 09:51 PM
According to the article I read on this, Evan is signed for 6 movies. Marvel is really optimistic.

bigbarada
11-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm interested in seeing where Cap is going? It looks good so far, I hope they keep him in the past for as long as possible....that is what made the first Highlander so awesome!

From what I understand, the first movie is going to be set during WW2, but he's obviously going to have to be in the modern day for the Avengers movie. My guess is that the storyline will be very similar to The Ultimates comic; where the discovery of Captain America is the catalyst that pulls together the Avengers team (most likely a rampaging Hulk will be their first threat as well).

Of course that doesn't mean that they can't continue to make WW2-era Captain America movies alongside the Avengers films.

Is Bucky Barnes going to be in this first movie? Because that would set up the whole Winter Soldier storyline for future films.

Rocketboy
11-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Bucky is in Captain America, slashfilm.com said the other day that the film is somehow bookends with Cap on ice and that Evans is signed for Cap and Avengers trilogies (and possibly smaller appearances in 3 other Marvel flicks).

El Chuxter
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
In my own personal Marvel Universe, Bucky Barnes stayed dead. He's hanging out in the afterlife with Uncle Ben and Jason Todd, wondering why they're the only three dead guys to never return to life.

Tycho
08-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I have not seen this film yet myself, but I will very shortly.

The forums are quite dead if there's not much discussion on this movie here.

Maradona
08-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I loved this film. The final line prior to the credits was classic.

Blue2th
08-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but will. Any film that's got fantasy versions of secret German weapons of WWII is got to be intriguing. I saw a shot of a flying wing, much like the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark, both of which are close in shape to an actual jet the Germans built, tested and nearly deployed.

I did buy a Red Skull figure recently. He's pretty cool looking and will sit nicely in my diecast Mercedes WWII parade car riding with other fantasy villains like Cobra Commander.

Tycho if you haven't seen the trailer for Lucas' "Redtails" yet you need to check it out. The link's in Chux's thread if you can't find it.

Snowtrooper
08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
I've gotten a little tired of all these superhero movies, but this one I'm actually wanting to go and see. Just have to try to get around to it, hopefully.

mabudonicus
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
It was a really fine film, I thought, decent pacing, lots of nods to Marvel fans, funny without being too "cute" or ridiculous. I was also impressed at how patriotism was depicted- the most "rah rah USA" types were nowhere near the actual fighting, which was refreshing considering how such elements could have been handled.

My only gripe, really, was that it felt like far too much ground was covered way too quickly (and too close to the actual end of the film) in that montage bit. Thinking it through afterwards, tho, I can see what made that happen, since I can't think of too many parts that could have been truncated or completely excised without really changing the tone of the finished film.

A solid must-see for fans of the character, but still recommended to anyone who likes fun, well-made action/adventure films.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes

A great film, in my opinion.

JediTricks
08-15-2011, 12:49 PM
This is the only summer movie I've been at all tempted to see so far, but I haven't gone yet. I guess the casting is part of the problem, Chris Evans is a little difficult for me to buy as Cap, and as much as I loved The Rocketeer, Joe Johnston's directing in general doesn't really have much life to it. When you add that to the fact that movies are WAY expensive these days, and everything is trying to force 3D at my eyeballs which I don't care for, you get a rather untempting market. I'm looking at all the movies playing by me, and it seems mediocrity is ruling the day.

Bottom line, I want to go, I just don't seem entirely drawn to going.

mabudonicus
08-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Oh yeah I totally forgot it was in 3D. I refused to pay the premium (and besides my glasses don't play nice with 3-d glasses due to my giant head) and went for the 2D showing. Turns out it was in the biggest theatre in the multiplex, with the best sound etc, so it felt like I got a lot more for paying less. A few folks I know who saw it in 3-D said there seemed to be only two scenes where it was apparently even in 3-D, so there's that, too.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Still a good film, you will like it JT

El Chuxter
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
GET OUT OF THIS THRED MADUBON!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

THIS IS NOT CAPTIN CANNADA!!! WE SAVED UR BUTS FRUM THE RUSSIANS IN THE CIVEL WAR AND LIBERTY-ATED THERMOP--THERMOPO--**** IT, YOU KNOW THE MOVE FROM 300!!!!!

STOOPED CANADAN!!!!

JediTricks
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Well, if I end up seeing it, it'll probably be next week while it's still in theaters, but after I've been paid. :p

bigbarada
08-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Watched it today and found it to be a very enjoyable film. Not perfect, however. As I've come to expect from Johnston, the action scenes felt oddly paced in an almost imperceptible way, as if everything was just 10-20 frames off from what it should have been. The movie had a lot of heart, though, and Chris Evans did a great job as Steve Rogers. I didn't see a hint of the Human Torch in his performance at all (although, the Human Torch is in the film for anyone who is paying attention).

I think the earnestness of the film really sold it for me. You're definitely rooting for Steve right from the very beginning.

I didn't really stick around after the credits to see if there was any hidden scenes. I already know there is an Avengers movie coming out, so I can't think of any information the movie could reveal that would be critical enough for me to not just wait to watch it on DVD.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I saw it on Sunday night. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and the people I was with seemed to like and are looking forward to the Avengers movie. The only other one tied to the Avengers that I have seen so far is the first Iron Man, so I'll need to watch Iron Man 2 and Thor, and apparently the last Hulk movie as well. I've never followed the comics so how it tied in with that wasn't an issue for me.

JediTricks
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, I caught it on Friday at the Pacific 12, holy crap are they expensive. Matinee was $9.50 which I guess isn't too bad, but small popcorn was $5.75, small drink $5.25, they are CRAZY high prices, I love movie popcorn but no way in hell I'm supporting that - especially from a corporate chain. Movie had, no exaggeration, 6 or more trailers before it, almost none of which had any connection to Cap.

Anyway, once the movie started, I tried to get into it, but ultimately it felt like what I feared, something was missing, it was just "ok" because there's so much time spent trying to make an origin story setting up the Avengers movie. Too much time was used up with origins here that they ended up doing montages of the good stuff with the characters and the battles most of the time. Cap has no vulnerability which makes his original stands in the face of adversity meaningless to his character now. The villains are so uninteresting too, they have the motivation to target "everything" "everywhere" at once? Tommy Lee Jones just feels like a Tommy Lee Jones character, no nuance. Red Skull doesn't even feel like a character, just a pastiche of other scene-chewing movie villains that go way over the top in these sorts of things. The stuff with now-adult Bucky also seemed odd, but I think this probably worked for audiences new to the material, and I think was already setting up Winter Soldier even before his odd, fateful "death" scene. I dunno, the film just sort of runs out of gas about halfway through Steve getting annoyed with being a stage show, there are a lot of good period ideas and some good nods to the comics material, but Johnston rarely seems to get a human feel to anything here - the only scene where I felt anything about the characters being people was when scrawny Steve throws himself on the grenade, that bit got me. And the culminating fight between hero and villain didn't feel like ANYTHING, and then it just ends in a big odd fashion without explanation - I think that was a massively missed opportunity. Also, this film has the Invaders and Howling Commandos, but never does much with them, leaving it feeling like there was either a lot of material cut out of the theatrical film that hopefully will make a directors cut a better movie, or that they really are just prop pieces.

The one area I can give a little nod to, I think they were pretty successful with the digital mini-Steve, I could always tell there was some digital shenanigans going on but it never seemed as significant as what they really did to get it there (they did make him like under 5' in some shots though). There was too much digital background going on, that felt more obvious

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Another Marvel superhero movie, courtesy of a free cable weekend: Cap Comes Back: Just Keep Winterin' & Soldierin'. It was okay. I was never surprised at who WS was, and I was spoiler free even until I saw the movie this late.

El Chuxter
04-10-2016, 11:23 PM
You are the first person I know who's described The Winter Soldier as "okay." Most people put it on par with, or even above, Guardians of the Galaxy.

And since you resurrected the thread, Civil War looks absolutely incredible so far. I have a feeling that there will be a clear winner among which hero vs hero movie of 2016 reigns supreme.

(And this is coming from someone who thinks the comic it took its name from is one of the rankest turds in comic book history.)

JimJamBonds
04-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Capn 2, not as good as the first. GotG, didn't make it though it.

JediTricks
04-13-2016, 12:27 PM
I also felt that Winter Soldier was only "ok", but to be fair, I felt similarly about GOTG so it's on par still. So what Chuxter said is true... from a certain point of view. There isn't enough story for the titular character, it feels hollow and small. The rest is very Avengers-wannabe with "dark tones" and complicated plots, but never did much for me.

My feelings on Cap 1 have softened, everything I said in the above review is true, but I appreciate the spirit in it more than when I first saw it, and that spirit really carries it well, it's in my 2nd tier for Marvel movies, pushing up against top tier.

Maradona
05-07-2016, 12:14 PM
I usually go into movies that are critically acclaimed with a high degree of skepticism. It's as though I'm looking for something to balance out all the raves. Last night, I took this mentality into seeing Captain America: Civil War. The film was spectacular. I'm cautious not to spoil anything, but everyone has seen Spiderman and Black Panther in the trailers and they were absolutely amazing, as was Ant Man. It seemed like every character in the film was afforded at least a few memorable moments and more than a few fun lines. Fun strikes me as an important word here maybe because the other "hero fighting hero" movie that came out this year deliberately lacked this quality in its entirety.

El Chuxter
05-07-2016, 09:57 PM
My God, Civil War was a masterpiece. I really don't understand people who complain these movies are childish; to paraphrase a Jewish carpenter, fanboy does not live by DC alone.

JediTricks
05-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I dunno, it has no real ending, serious tonal issues where it's grimdark most of the time then a brief foray into light happy fun with Spidey and a big lightweight action scene then back to grimdark, a villain without any real drive and sense to why or how he did the things he did, Bucky the Winter Soldier still after 2 movies with no real rounding in his backstory, and there's a lack of weight to Black Panther's story arc. The movie is not without its flaws, it gets by on a lot of Marvel goodwill and charm, but it's more Age of Ultron than Winter Soldier.

Hopefully that gives you a little insight into those whose opinion differs from yours.

figrin bran
05-08-2016, 07:44 PM
I watched it last night and did not feel it was that great at all. Stark recruiting Spidey was enjoyable but as JT mentioned, those segments of the film contrasted heavily with the rest of the film. Crossbones was a waste of a character as was Zemo and they could have just been given other names. Also, Zemo's "schemes" are very much like BVS Lex's in that they require an extraordinary amount of luck and fortune to come into fruition...it's kind of like a basketball team trailing by a very huge margin and then resorting to fouling the opposing team on every possession just to stop the clock. I don't know that a plan that relies on someone making every possible decision not in their favor and in yours is a viable one.

As well, too much forcing Stark and Rogers out of character just to serve the civil war plot. I can't fathom that Cap would be so bullheaded stubborn and not truly consider every side of the issue. The great airport fight that everyone seems to rave about, I just can't take very seriously when BW and Hawkeye ask if they're still friends? It just smacks a lot of the same "spectacle without real stakes" that was all over Age of Ultron. Lastly, despite all the hullabaloo over the collateral damage caused in NY, DC, Sokovia, here we have the Avengers laying waste to an airport with very little regard to what they're doing.

JediTricks
05-10-2016, 04:12 PM
I found myself agreeing with Cap's side. The Avengers worked for SHIELD in the first film, that didn't go well. Cap worked under SHIELD in Winter Soldier and the World Council abused that authority. These superheroes are private citizens, they aren't beholden to anybody, they should be accountable by law for their actions, but shouldn't be forced to be weapons that'll be misused by politicians yet again.

All the points on Tony's side are either hollow, or are Tony's fault:
- New York is at best something you could blame on the Nazis for unleashing the power of the Cosmic Cube which draws Thanos' attention, Loki, and the Chitauri. Oh, but the reason they choose New York specifically? Tony Stark's giant ego-stroke building and its insecure arc reactor.
- Washington DC from The Winter Soldier, how is this in any way Cap or even Bucky's doing? This is HYDRA, were it not for Cap and Bucky the HYDRA plan would have succeeded flawlessly and have killed millions.
- Sokovia, whose fault is this? Oh right, it's entirely Tony Stark's fault for screwing around with the gemstone he didn't understand and just moving forward without thinking, creating Ultron. At best you could throw a tiny bit of blame at Scarlet Witch for causing the Hulk to rampage, but whose orders was she following? Ultron, who is entirely the fault of Tony Stark.
- Wakanda/Nigeria was a suicide bomber, had Wanda not sent Crossbones skyward he would have killed hundreds of people in that marketplace. Yes, the bomber was able to kill some people, but that number was a lot less thanks to the efforts of the heroes. Sure, the only reason Crossbones was setting off his vest was to... something (kill? Not if Zemo's plan was to actually work) Captain America, but it's not exactly a superhero-scale problem, it's not "we brought an army of alien killers to bear", it's just a boring suicide bomb, could have been used by anybody against anybody.

The truth is that the actual Civil War comic book may be horribly flawed, but at least it created an inarguable foundation for drawing sides: callous, out-of-control heroes showing off for the cameras and getting hundreds of children in a schoolyard killed by not taking care. This movie doesn't make a good argument of that, there's not as much foundation and it left an imbalance. I know there's a lot of debate about the philosophy behind it, but I can only go on what they are talking about.

In this film, both sides are handling it entirely wrong and out of character, so it's hard to buy either argument whole-cloth. The idea that the UN could get anything done and be an actual force involved is laughable. The heroes destroy things without consideration, they act without the weight of their convictions, that's a serious flaw. Cap doesn't just stop the pace of things to point out that they're hunting Bucky to kill rather than halt, or even make a more rounded argument against being pressed into service as a government-sponsored weapon. Tony doesn't seem to care that he's aligned with people he specifically spoke out against doing this very thing not that long ago, as well as with Black Panther who is a vigilante that has no concern for what Tony's fighting for.

Ultimately, for me it came down to Cap's side having less checks against him.

Let's talk about things we did like in the film:

SPOILERS

- Ant Man, Scott Lang is a treat. He's funny, he's got a unique way of fighting, and then he gets big and becomes a game-changer. Every moment this character's on screen he's stealing the scene without feeling like he's stealing the scene. I know Spidey is the big deal thing, but it's Ant Man who takes the big risks - including getting locked up again - and makes a meal out of those choices and the responses to them.

- Spidey may have been superfluous to the plot, but he's still a lot of fun and great to watch. Aside from one or two dodgy CGI shots, he looks great in the costume and he moves like the comics make him seem. The personality is great too, Tom Holland certainly gets points for performance (although I do wish they'd make him fake a "big boy" voice, that's how I hear Spidey in my head usually), he gets being a kid and being a powered person. His take on "with great power comes great responsibility" was well played on every level.

- T'Challa as Black Panther, while he didn't get enough justification for his abilities or suit, and he didn't really have enough to do, and his revelation at the end came only after it was incredibly obvious that was the way to go, and after said revelation he didn't help those guys, still came across as a nuanced, watchable character. I guess I hadn't thought how poorly the script misused him until now, but the fact that he still comes across as a positive speaks highly to how the character performance itself worked out.

- Zemo's plot not actually releasing the monsters. I don't get Zemo's plot at all, or how he knew about these, or why he'd go to them, but at least he didn't do the cliche thing of unleashing the monsters either for power or revenge. Instead he ended the threat in a rather humane fashion. Too bad they named him "Zemo", the awful Nazi supervillain, because his arc in the film was almost the most understandable, it's not a good fit to have him be Baron Zemo.

- The airport fight. It wasn't a good fit tonally, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, it felt like an abandoned airport most of the time, they destroyed a whole lot of things without reason, but they had fun and they had characterization. It was kinetic without being abusively so. It was an obvious centerpiece and on that level it succeeds.

- Scarlet Witch and Falcon didn't shine, but didn't fail either. I didn't like Wanda in her first outing, but she felt pretty grounded and able here, and better-defined in her mindset and abilities. Falcon felt forced in The Winter Soldier, and while he hasn't really changed much, at least it's obvious he's been around the block now, and watching him use his wings in unique ways, as well as alongside Redwing, was fun. Hawkeye didn't get as much as them, but held up alright in what he had.

- The VW Beetle moment was cute, even if it was way out of tone, Sharon Carter and Cap kissing felt way out of place, and the jokiness was odd for characters so serious in the very previous shot, but I'd watch Bucky and Falcon and Cap in a road trip movie in that bug.

- Aunt May and Tony Stark flirting. Here's the thing, Marisa Tomei looks amazing, she is 51 but she looks outstanding for her age. Peter is supposed to be 16, the average age of parentage in the US is 25 years old, so Aunt May being 35 years older than Peter Parker is a whole decade more than credulity requires (and honestly, 17 years more than necessary as aunts can be younger than parents). I don't know why they wanted a hot Aunt May, but at least they did something fun with that, and Tony wasn't just hitting on women half his age for once.

- The film never showed timidity. Nothing felt like it was playing safe or hiding potential flaws, they didn't have a scene in the dark to hide how silly something might look, or plan a skirmish offscreen during a cut to save money. There wasn't a concern that this would be too overstuffed with backstories so they'd have to exposition-dump and frontload reminders. They didn't back off dialogue even though this was built around a big fight scene. They made a film that was what they wanted it to be.

bigbarada
05-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Just saw it this evening and really enjoyed it. Definitely the best onscreen Spider-Man ever made and I can't wait to spend some more screentime with this most recent incarnation of Peter Parker.

Black Panther was very impressive and actually made me care about a character that I have never cared about.

I found myself agreeing with Cap's side. The Avengers worked for SHIELD in the first film, that didn't go well. Cap worked under SHIELD in Winter Soldier and the World Council abused that authority. These superheroes are private citizens, they aren't beholden to anybody, they should be accountable by law for their actions, but shouldn't be forced to be weapons that'll be misused by politicians yet again.

At work they were giving out badges that we could wear on our vests, one for Captain America and one for Iron Man. We were supposed to "choose our side" and pick one. I originally considered wearing both, but eventually went with Iron Man, but now that I've seen the movie, I definitely side more with Captain America.

Iron Man approached the Sokovia Accords in a very legalistic way and everyone who signed seemed to be afraid of the consequences of standing against the UN…

Let me repeat that, they were afraid of the UN.

So, they've stopped an alien invasion, a Norse demigod, Hydra, and a megalomaniacal robot army, but they're afraid of the UN? That was really hard for me to swallow.

Fortunately, none of the characters who signed the accord acted in a way that made them completely unredeemable, unlike the comic book.

- Wakanda/Nigeria was a suicide bomber, had Wanda not sent Crossbones skyward he would have killed hundreds of people in that marketplace. Yes, the bomber was able to kill some people, but that number was a lot less thanks to the efforts of the heroes. Sure, the only reason Crossbones was setting off his vest was to... something (kill? Not if Zemo's plan was to actually work) Captain America, but it's not exactly a superhero-scale problem, it's not "we brought an army of alien killers to bear", it's just a boring suicide bomb, could have been used by anybody against anybody.

Nothing against you here, but isn't is kind of a sad commentary on the world we live in when the idea of a suicide bomber seems so commonplace that it's hard to believe anyone would care?

- The airport fight. It wasn't a good fit tonally, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, it felt like an abandoned airport most of the time, they destroyed a whole lot of things without reason, but they had fun and they had characterization. It was kinetic without being abusively so. It was an obvious centerpiece and on that level it succeeds.

There was a line in there about the airport being evacuated just before the fight started. So that would explain why it would be abandoned. After being confronted by that lady in front of the elevator, Tony Stark was definitely not going to take any chances with innocent civilians.

- Aunt May and Tony Stark flirting. Here's the thing, Marisa Tomei looks amazing, she is 51 but she looks outstanding for her age. Peter is supposed to be 16, the average age of parentage in the US is 25 years old, so Aunt May being 35 years older than Peter Parker is a whole decade more than credulity requires (and honestly, 17 years more than necessary as aunts can be younger than parents). I don't know why they wanted a hot Aunt May, but at least they did something fun with that, and Tony wasn't just hitting on women half his age for once.

Kind of ironic that you would comment on Aunt May being so old here when this is by far the youngest and most attractive that she has ever looked. Even the comics have always portrayed her as a frail grandmother type, far older than she has ever been depicted in the movies.

Anyways, with the way the story ended (and I stayed for both post-credits scenes) I really have no idea where the MCU goes from here and that's awesome. Looking forward to Spider-Man and I'm sure I'll watch Black Panther when it comes out. I guess Dr. Strange is next, but I'll wait to hear the reviews before I watch it. Otherwise, I'll just wait for Blu-Ray.

JediTricks
05-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Last night on Agents of SHIELD, the events of CA:CW came to focus during the episode, asking where Steve Rogers was, and then having General Talbot push Coulson's SHIELD to register its powered people. The episode wasn't focused on that, but didn't shy away from it either. There was actual conversation about what it meant, who was at risk, and what happened if it was misused. It was shockingly... civil. In the end, secret stayed secret as Talbot saw some wisdom in Coulson's point. It was maybe a fifth of the episode's total runtime, and it made me wonder why they couldn't have dedicated that much in the movie to the same conversations.

Nothing against you here, but isn't is kind of a sad commentary on the world we live in when the idea of a suicide bomber seems so commonplace that it's hard to believe anyone would care?Well, it's not like suicide bombers are a new thing. Nobody's drafted ironclad UN doctrine over a single suicide bomber before, have they? Not any that's made any difference. Let's check the news...

"Suicide bomber strikes Yemen military convoy - kills at least 3" - Reuters, "kills 8" - Daily Mail. That was 2 hours ago, it neither fazed me nor surprised me. I doubt anybody is going to force sweeping changes to private citizens' lives over it.

Wait, wait...

3 hours ago: "ISIS bomber kills at least 64 people in Baghdad suicide bomb attack" - Daily Mail, "kills 80" - Reuters. This story isn't even being reported on by US national news coverage at the moment, it's that commonplace. 64 or more people were killed and producers at CNN don't even have it on their homepage, their coverage on the program CNN Newsroom right now? Trump's taxes. Fox News? Trump's VP pick. MSNBC? Paul Ryan and Ben Carson splitting over Trump.

That's the sad reality of our times, at least 4 times as many people died in Baghdad today in a suicide bombing as in CA:CW and it's not even newsworthy in our culture, that's how commonplace suicide bombings are. Nobody is calling for sweeping changes to how society operates, they're not even calling for presidential candidates to speak out against these killings.

There was a line in there about the airport being evacuated just before the fight started. So that would explain why it would be abandoned. After being confronted by that lady in front of the elevator, Tony Stark was definitely not going to take any chances with innocent civilians.Yeah, that's what the line was, but there weren't police swarming about, there wasn't a feeling that people just ran away leaving things half-done, there wasn't luggage spilled as the guy in the cart sped off or anything I can remember. And it's not like there was a greater effort to stop them, they didn't even lock down the Quinjet.

Kind of ironic that you would comment on Aunt May being so old here when this is by far the youngest and most attractive that she has ever looked. Even the comics have always portrayed her as a frail grandmother type, far older than she has ever been depicted in the movies. I think you misunderstood what I said, I didn't say she was "so old", nothing about that would be ironic because I said she was reasonably age-appropriate and unusually attractive for that age.

Aunt May was created in the early '60s, back then people in didn't live as long and they knew next to nothing about nutrition and fitness, so they withered much earlier. Aunt May was frail as all get-out but that didn't mean she couldn't have been in her 50s (although I think she was supposed to be in her 60s), white hair and wrinkled skin and poor health was a lot more common back then at an earlier age.

Anyways, with the way the story ended (and I stayed for both post-credits scenes) I really have no idea where the MCU goes from here and that's awesome. Looking forward to Spider-Man and I'm sure I'll watch Black Panther when it comes out. I guess Dr. Strange is next, but I'll wait to hear the reviews before I watch it. Otherwise, I'll just wait for Blu-Ray.It's Doctor Strange in November, and hopefully they get that right because it's promising, but having Benedict Cumberbatch is an expensive prospect, hard to share, and the trailer had no magic in it, only dimension-bending stuff. I think it'll be ok, albeit somewhat MCU formula since the bad guy is likely played as a mirror of the good guy. I'm expecting to see it in theaters.

After that it's Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 which isn't really my bag, that's May of next year. Then July is Spider-Man: Homecoming. November '17 is Thor Ragnarok which I believe also has the Hulk in it. Feb '18 is Black Panther. May '18 is Avengers: Infinity War pt 1. July '18 is Ant-Man and The Wasp. And 2019 currently is looking at Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and then Infinity War pt 2.

This September on TV is Luke Cage, and the return of Agents of SHIELD. Probably Marvel's Most Wanted and Damage Control as well. Next year is Iron Fist, Cloak & Dagger, and probably The Defenders and The Punisher.

bigbarada
05-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Well, it's not like suicide bombers are a new thing. Nobody's drafted ironclad UN doctrine over a single suicide bomber before, have they? Not any that's made any difference. Let's check the news...

"Suicide bomber strikes Yemen military convoy - kills at least 3" - Reuters, "kills 8" - Daily Mail. That was 2 hours ago, it neither fazed me nor surprised me. I doubt anybody is going to force sweeping changes to private citizens' lives over it.

Wait, wait...

3 hours ago: "ISIS bomber kills at least 64 people in Baghdad suicide bomb attack" - Daily Mail, "kills 80" - Reuters. This story isn't even being reported on by US national news coverage at the moment, it's that commonplace. 64 or more people were killed and producers at CNN don't even have it on their homepage, their coverage on the program CNN Newsroom right now? Trump's taxes. Fox News? Trump's VP pick. MSNBC? Paul Ryan and Ben Carson splitting over Trump.

That's the sad reality of our times, at least 4 times as many people died in Baghdad today in a suicide bombing as in CA:CW and it's not even newsworthy in our culture, that's how commonplace suicide bombings are. Nobody is calling for sweeping changes to how society operates, they're not even calling for presidential candidates to speak out against these killings.

I didn't say you were wrong just that it was a sad state of affairs.

However, I could see the media exploiting the events of Civil War to stir people up into a frenzy. We see it all the time today. I don't want to go into too much detail to prevent this from turning into a political discussion, though.

It's Doctor Strange in November, and hopefully they get that right because it's promising, but having Benedict Cumberbatch is an expensive prospect, hard to share, and the trailer had no magic in it, only dimension-bending stuff. I think it'll be ok, albeit somewhat MCU formula since the bad guy is likely played as a mirror of the good guy. I'm expecting to see it in theaters.

After that it's Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 which isn't really my bag, that's May of next year. Then July is Spider-Man: Homecoming. November '17 is Thor Ragnarok which I believe also has the Hulk in it. Feb '18 is Black Panther. May '18 is Avengers: Infinity War pt 1. July '18 is Ant-Man and The Wasp. And 2019 currently is looking at Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and then Infinity War pt 2.

This September on TV is Luke Cage, and the return of Agents of SHIELD. Probably Marvel's Most Wanted and Damage Control as well. Next year is Iron Fist, Cloak & Dagger, and probably The Defenders and The Punisher.

Well, I know what movies are coming out, but how they all will tie together from a story standpoint is what I was referring to. After Avengers 1, everything felt like it was going to progress towards Infinity War in a genrally straight line; but that's all been thrown into chaos now. That's what's got me so excited.