View Full Version : We have our Cap'n America

preacher
03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
And its...

Chris Evans

http://www.superherohype.com/news/captainamericanews.php?id=9193

JimJamBonds
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Interesting, I liked him in Not Another Teen Movie so I guess I'll give him a shot in this one as well.

2-1B
03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
"The Human Torch was denied a bank loan."

"I need names...and shots."

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Excellent choice! :thumbsup: He was actually the best character in the Fantastic Four movies and he definitely fits the physical requirements for the role as well.

2-1B
03-22-2010, 11:24 PM
plus if they need a scene where he has to rescue Kim Basinger while his cell phone battery is dying...he'll be prepared for that as well.

preacher
03-22-2010, 11:46 PM
He was in cellular? He wasn't half bad in that one. I agree I think Chris Evans is a good choice.

Tatum would've been an alright chase physcially, but his acting could use some work.

BTW Hugo Weaving will be the Red Skull in case you didn't know.

El Chuxter
03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Hugo Weaving is awesome in everything except Transformers. Not even John Turturro was awesome in that turd.

I know little about this guy, having avoided the films that share a name with a once great comic book. He seems a tad young, but maybe I'm wrong. I wish him luck in wielding his mighty shield, knowing that those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.

bigbarada
03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
He was in cellular? He wasn't half bad in that one. I agree I think Chris Evans is a good choice.

Tatum would've been an alright chase physcially, but his acting could use some work.

BTW Hugo Weaving will be the Red Skull in case you didn't know.

I just read that about Hugo Weaving and he'll be a great choice since all they have to do is paint his gigantic cranium red and he's a perfect Red Skull. :D

I'm really just relieved that the rumors of Will Smith playing Captain America have been proven false.

JimJamBonds
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
plus if they need a scene where he has to rescue Kim Basinger while his cell phone battery is dying...he'll be prepared for that as well.

Or if there is a bet that he can take the 'ugly girl' and make her into the 'hot girl' he has that covered as well.

jjreason
03-25-2010, 06:21 PM
I wonder how they're going to retcon Steve Rogers actually being Johnny Storm in the comics. :(

Rocketboy
03-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I wonder how they're going to retcon Steve Rogers actually being Johnny Storm in the comics. :(A massive, long running saga involving clones.
It worked for Spider-man.

Oh, wait...

Maradona
03-26-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm a bit cautious with my optimism here. I, too, liked him as the Torch (in a mediocre at best film - didn't bother with the sequel), but what I appreciated most about his performance: a natural exuberance and cockiness, is not a part of the Captain America we know and love. I just hope Marvel isn't looking to have him be Johnny Storm with a vibranium shield.

Rocketboy
10-29-2010, 05:47 PM
For those who haven't seen it - Cap in costume (and more movie pics).
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20385926_20437910_1,00.html

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I hate ads that expand past their boundaries and cover up navigation links on a page. :mad:

That aside, looks witchin'.

bigbarada
10-29-2010, 09:23 PM
For those who haven't seen it - Cap in costume (and more movie pics).
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20385926_20437910_1,00.html

After the disappointment from the Thor movie images that I've seen so far, the recasting of Bruce Banner, and Iron Man 2; I'm actually pretty surprised and impressed by the look of Captain America. My hopes for the Avengers movie franchise have been restored a little bit.

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm interested in seeing where Cap is going? It looks good so far, I hope they keep him in the past for as long as possible....that is what made the first Highlander so awesome!

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 09:59 PM
And what made the second so awesome was Sean Connery coming back with no explanation whatsoever, then immediately learning they were all aliens!

No, wait, that's what made the second one so $#@++y.

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 10:14 PM
In the end there can be more than one....

Maradona
10-29-2010, 10:51 PM
According to the article I read on this, Evan is signed for 6 movies. Marvel is really optimistic.

bigbarada
11-01-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm interested in seeing where Cap is going? It looks good so far, I hope they keep him in the past for as long as possible....that is what made the first Highlander so awesome!

From what I understand, the first movie is going to be set during WW2, but he's obviously going to have to be in the modern day for the Avengers movie. My guess is that the storyline will be very similar to The Ultimates comic; where the discovery of Captain America is the catalyst that pulls together the Avengers team (most likely a rampaging Hulk will be their first threat as well).

Of course that doesn't mean that they can't continue to make WW2-era Captain America movies alongside the Avengers films.

Is Bucky Barnes going to be in this first movie? Because that would set up the whole Winter Soldier storyline for future films.

Rocketboy
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Bucky is in Captain America, slashfilm.com said the other day that the film is somehow bookends with Cap on ice and that Evans is signed for Cap and Avengers trilogies (and possibly smaller appearances in 3 other Marvel flicks).

El Chuxter
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
In my own personal Marvel Universe, Bucky Barnes stayed dead. He's hanging out in the afterlife with Uncle Ben and Jason Todd, wondering why they're the only three dead guys to never return to life.

Tycho
08-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I have not seen this film yet myself, but I will very shortly.

The forums are quite dead if there's not much discussion on this movie here.

Maradona
08-15-2011, 02:35 AM
I loved this film. The final line prior to the credits was classic.

Blue2th
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but will. Any film that's got fantasy versions of secret German weapons of WWII is got to be intriguing. I saw a shot of a flying wing, much like the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark, both of which are close in shape to an actual jet the Germans built, tested and nearly deployed.

I did buy a Red Skull figure recently. He's pretty cool looking and will sit nicely in my diecast Mercedes WWII parade car riding with other fantasy villains like Cobra Commander.

Tycho if you haven't seen the trailer for Lucas' "Redtails" yet you need to check it out. The link's in Chux's thread if you can't find it.

Snowtrooper
08-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I've gotten a little tired of all these superhero movies, but this one I'm actually wanting to go and see. Just have to try to get around to it, hopefully.

mabudonicus
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
It was a really fine film, I thought, decent pacing, lots of nods to Marvel fans, funny without being too "cute" or ridiculous. I was also impressed at how patriotism was depicted- the most "rah rah USA" types were nowhere near the actual fighting, which was refreshing considering how such elements could have been handled.

My only gripe, really, was that it felt like far too much ground was covered way too quickly (and too close to the actual end of the film) in that montage bit. Thinking it through afterwards, tho, I can see what made that happen, since I can't think of too many parts that could have been truncated or completely excised without really changing the tone of the finished film.

A solid must-see for fans of the character, but still recommended to anyone who likes fun, well-made action/adventure films.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes

A great film, in my opinion.

JediTricks
08-15-2011, 01:49 PM
This is the only summer movie I've been at all tempted to see so far, but I haven't gone yet. I guess the casting is part of the problem, Chris Evans is a little difficult for me to buy as Cap, and as much as I loved The Rocketeer, Joe Johnston's directing in general doesn't really have much life to it. When you add that to the fact that movies are WAY expensive these days, and everything is trying to force 3D at my eyeballs which I don't care for, you get a rather untempting market. I'm looking at all the movies playing by me, and it seems mediocrity is ruling the day.

Bottom line, I want to go, I just don't seem entirely drawn to going.

mabudonicus
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah I totally forgot it was in 3D. I refused to pay the premium (and besides my glasses don't play nice with 3-d glasses due to my giant head) and went for the 2D showing. Turns out it was in the biggest theatre in the multiplex, with the best sound etc, so it felt like I got a lot more for paying less. A few folks I know who saw it in 3-D said there seemed to be only two scenes where it was apparently even in 3-D, so there's that, too.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Still a good film, you will like it JT

El Chuxter
08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
GET OUT OF THIS THRED MADUBON!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

THIS IS NOT CAPTIN CANNADA!!! WE SAVED UR BUTS FRUM THE RUSSIANS IN THE CIVEL WAR AND LIBERTY-ATED THERMOP--THERMOPO--**** IT, YOU KNOW THE MOVE FROM 300!!!!!

STOOPED CANADAN!!!!

JediTricks
08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Well, if I end up seeing it, it'll probably be next week while it's still in theaters, but after I've been paid. :p

bigbarada
08-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Watched it today and found it to be a very enjoyable film. Not perfect, however. As I've come to expect from Johnston, the action scenes felt oddly paced in an almost imperceptible way, as if everything was just 10-20 frames off from what it should have been. The movie had a lot of heart, though, and Chris Evans did a great job as Steve Rogers. I didn't see a hint of the Human Torch in his performance at all (although, the Human Torch is in the film for anyone who is paying attention).

I think the earnestness of the film really sold it for me. You're definitely rooting for Steve right from the very beginning.

I didn't really stick around after the credits to see if there was any hidden scenes. I already know there is an Avengers movie coming out, so I can't think of any information the movie could reveal that would be critical enough for me to not just wait to watch it on DVD.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I saw it on Sunday night. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and the people I was with seemed to like and are looking forward to the Avengers movie. The only other one tied to the Avengers that I have seen so far is the first Iron Man, so I'll need to watch Iron Man 2 and Thor, and apparently the last Hulk movie as well. I've never followed the comics so how it tied in with that wasn't an issue for me.

JediTricks
08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, I caught it on Friday at the Pacific 12, holy crap are they expensive. Matinee was $9.50 which I guess isn't too bad, but small popcorn was $5.75, small drink $5.25, they are CRAZY high prices, I love movie popcorn but no way in hell I'm supporting that - especially from a corporate chain. Movie had, no exaggeration, 6 or more trailers before it, almost none of which had any connection to Cap.

Anyway, once the movie started, I tried to get into it, but ultimately it felt like what I feared, something was missing, it was just "ok" because there's so much time spent trying to make an origin story setting up the Avengers movie. Too much time was used up with origins here that they ended up doing montages of the good stuff with the characters and the battles most of the time. Cap has no vulnerability which makes his original stands in the face of adversity meaningless to his character now. The villains are so uninteresting too, they have the motivation to target "everything" "everywhere" at once? Tommy Lee Jones just feels like a Tommy Lee Jones character, no nuance. Red Skull doesn't even feel like a character, just a pastiche of other scene-chewing movie villains that go way over the top in these sorts of things. The stuff with now-adult Bucky also seemed odd, but I think this probably worked for audiences new to the material, and I think was already setting up Winter Soldier even before his odd, fateful "death" scene. I dunno, the film just sort of runs out of gas about halfway through Steve getting annoyed with being a stage show, there are a lot of good period ideas and some good nods to the comics material, but Johnston rarely seems to get a human feel to anything here - the only scene where I felt anything about the characters being people was when scrawny Steve throws himself on the grenade, that bit got me. And the culminating fight between hero and villain didn't feel like ANYTHING, and then it just ends in a big odd fashion without explanation - I think that was a massively missed opportunity. Also, this film has the Invaders and Howling Commandos, but never does much with them, leaving it feeling like there was either a lot of material cut out of the theatrical film that hopefully will make a directors cut a better movie, or that they really are just prop pieces.

The one area I can give a little nod to, I think they were pretty successful with the digital mini-Steve, I could always tell there was some digital shenanigans going on but it never seemed as significant as what they really did to get it there (they did make him like under 5' in some shots though). There was too much digital background going on, that felt more obvious