PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hal Jordan

El Chuxter
03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I know this is jumping way back, but this is something about Green Lantern comics that's bugged me for quite a while.

Hal was, by far, one of my favorite heroes as a little kid. As tough as it is for me to imagine now, I hated Batman (only being exposed to the corny, yet unfunny, version from Superfriends) and always saw Superman as a goody two-shoes. Even though no one got real character development in Superfriends, Green Lantern seemed cool, just because of his power.

In comics, I loved all the GL's. Hal was my favorite, with Guy close behind. (Something about a GL with an attitude and no tact whatsoever was cool, not quite the extremes to which Lobo or Punisher took the concept of the anti-hero, but just a slight push in that direction.)

So I hated it when Hal, with minimal reason, went nuts and killed off almost the entire Corps. I never got into Kyle's stories, mostly because I loathed this "hip" replacement for a beloved character.

And then, DC brought him back. The "Parallax" he'd turned into when he destroyed the power battery wasn't really just a new name and identity he'd taken, but a separate entity that had possessed him.

And, so, now, everything's hunky dorey with Hal.

So my question is, as much as I know everyone on Earth hated Hal's going bonkers and turning into a genocidal maniac, does anyone else see his return as one of the biggest cop-outs in comic book history? Just curious.

As much as I loathed Emerald Twilight and its fallout, it's the kind of massive, status quo shattering storyline that can't be ignored, no matter how much you want to.

figrin bran
03-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Chux, I only started reading GL comics in recent years so your perspective is enlightening.

Would you prefer that Hal were brought back in some other fashion? Or perhaps not at all?

El Chuxter
03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
As much as I hated him going nuts, bringing him back and never addressing the fact that he killed the entire Corps is hogwash. I actually think it'd be cooler if everyone thought he was cured, then he slowly went nuts as a result of the guilt he feels, even if he wasn't responsible, and maybe flips out again.

figrin bran
03-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Chux, I'm not sure how much of the Geoff Johns era retcons you've read but the Lost Lanterns do indeed hold tremendous animosity towards Hal and only put it aside because of the threat of the Sinestro Corps. Except for the Earth GL's and a small handful of alien ones, it seems most in the Corps do not like him at all.

Throughout the Sinestro Corps War and leading into Blackest Night, Hal is never allowed to forget about his transgressions and he does flip out when he gets the Red Lantern ring.

Maradona
03-25-2010, 12:54 AM
In the classic words of Chief Seattle, "There is no death, only a change of worlds." No one dies in comics. Sometimes, this bothers me. Sometimes, it doesn't.

I started reading GL with issue 144 as a kid back in the early 80s. I stopped buying GL around issue 220, I think. When I look back, I realize how little of the potential in the series was realized back then. I loved the mythology of the Corps and the powers the ring had. I was not buying comics after 1993, so I only read Hal's downfall after the fact. The speculator's boom/bust period, back then, combined with college, effectively priced me out of the hobby for the rest of the decade.

I never caught on with Kyle, but didn't dislike him as much as I did his costume. Through the beauty of the trade paper back, I have gotten current with the return of Hal. Johns writes him well and I'm glad he's back, but I don't think the death of so many has been handled as realistically as it could be. Hal should have been banned from earth. There could have been a reverse Silver Surfer situation, where he was stuck on earth away from Shalla Bal, Hal could have been stuck in space away from all his loved ones. I suspect that Blackest Night could be heading in the direction of bringing back all the dead for good. That would be Hal's redemption, maybe, his tabula rasa.

Despite this speculation, I just laugh when some fallen hero returns from the dead. It's all a huge marketing ploy. Death sells. Number 1 issues sell. Nostalgia sells. No one stays dead.

In Gilgamesh's immortal words, "there is no permanence." Pun intended.

figrin bran
03-25-2010, 02:13 AM
In the classic words of Chief Seattle, "There is no death, only a change of worlds." No one dies in comics. Sometimes, this bothers me. Sometimes, it doesn't.

I started reading GL with issue 144 as a kid back in the early 80s. I stopped buying GL around issue 220, I think. When I look back, I realize how little of the potential in the series was realized back then. I loved the mythology of the Corps and the powers the ring had. I was not buying comics after 1993, so I only read Hal's downfall after the fact. The speculator's boom/bust period, back then, combined with college, effectively priced me out of the hobby for the rest of the decade.

I never caught on with Kyle, but didn't dislike him as much as I did his costume. Through the beauty of the trade paper back, I have gotten current with the return of Hal. Johns writes him well and I'm glad he's back, but I don't think the death of so many has been handled as realistically as it could be. Hal should have been banned from earth. There could have been a reverse Silver Surfer situation, where he was stuck on earth away from Shalla Bal, Hal could have been stuck in space away from all his loved ones. I suspect that Blackest Night could be heading in the direction of bringing back all the dead for good. That would be Hal's redemption, maybe, his tabula rasa.

Despite this speculation, I just laugh when some fallen hero returns from the dead. It's all a huge marketing ploy. Death sells. Number 1 issues sell. Nostalgia sells. No one stays dead.

In Gilgamesh's immortal words, "there is no permanence." Pun intended.

Well, with only one issue left in Blackest Night, I'm pretty sure not all of the dead will be brought back. The Black Lanterns were more or less just soulless bodies that were housing the black lantern rings.

To wit, Bruce Wayne will most definitely not be brought back just yet.

Maradona
03-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Yes, the bodies were reanimated by the black rings. I think the series will end with significant life, the reverse of what usually ends these crossovers: significant death. There was already a tease with Brightest Day showing the return of the original Aquaman. Johns loves bringing back characters, Hal and Barry being examples. Here, he could bring back everyone he wanted to.

figrin bran
03-26-2010, 01:19 AM
At the risk of veering heavily off topic, there's this one panel in Blackest Night #7, where Sinestro is taking host of the White Lantern entity and Saint Walker is flashing this Kit Fisto like grin. :D

Maradona
03-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Did you all read this week's Green Lantern? It set up quite a finale for Blackest Night 8. Finale, did I say? Probably more of a beginning to Brightest Day.