PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Big Slave-One from AOTC?

Tycho
03-25-2010, 04:01 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case a Big Slave-One From AOTC).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a Big Slave-One from AOTC?

I would assume that Hasbro would make a Boba Fett repaint from ESB for certain once they had this mold.

However, noting that ESB is more popular than AOTC, making Boba's ship first might be the last thing they want to do.

Sell Jango's first and wait several years before issuing Boba's. People unable to wait will buy Jango's paint scheme and even customize it if they are so inclined. But as a corporatation, Hasbro wants to sell as many products as it can. Not having to re-tool a big ship like this and being able to sell it twice (to some) will be a great bonus to them, encouraging them to make this ship.

Many of you own both 3 3/4" characters' ships.

This ship would have to be based on the Expanded Universe designs shown in Incredible Cross-Sections. Except for the cockpit, the interior of Slave-One has never been seen on film.

Rotating wings, rotating cannons on the lower end point of the ship, a pop-out double-barrel laser blaster, and a pop-out missile launcher are definite movie-viewed accessories.

The cockpit should hold 3-4 at least. As a Mandalorian assault ship, there would be a pilot, a navigator, a communications officer, and the commander up in the cockpit of each craft.

I don't think a rotating cockpit is really part of the actual ship's design, but was only a feature of the toys (vintage and Galactic Heroes).

There should be at least two prisoner cages aboard for live captures, and maybe a stasis coffin that comes out of the wall for "proof of a kill." There should be probably two bunk beds aboard for crew use. And there should be storage where Han Solo frozen in carbonite could be stored when the ship belongs to Boba.

Another launching speederbike is a confirmed EU feature that should be included.

What else could the ship do? Well the sliding-out boarding ramp and removeable pannel for interior play both need to be there. Also, the cockpit glass should probably open like Jango Fett's ship's current incarnation.

So do you want this made?

What pricepoint do you see it being issued at?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Are you going to support the large vehicle at its original MSRP? Especially if they release Jango's ship first, say in 2011 and Boba's repaint doesn't come out until like 2013 or something?

If you'd wait for a Boba repaint and the Star Wars Legacy / Vintage-Style Modern line becomes further unstable, could you live without at least having the Jango Fett paint scheme?

Finally, I know I polled for the podracers separately, but they are different molds altogether. This is the exact same ship - even in SW fiction - just repainted (probably as Jango had a Lt. rank and Boba earned his Capt. rank somehow). But do you want a separate ESB poll to ask the same question about Boba's ship, or will this one poll suffice for a Big Slave-One?

Background Character
03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
As much as I like the Slave I, I'd have to say "no".

I think the AOTC version still holds up pretty well and is still one of my favorite toy ships made to date. I don't remember the price when that was new, but with inflation, that same mold today would probably be at least $50. A larger version in the scale you mention would be around $70-$100.

Some hard core fans would be into it, but I can't see the parent's of kids wanting to spend that much. In order to generate interest in this, it would probably have to show up in the animated series. With the way they have made the Mandalorians "boring" in that show already, it would probably hurt the appeal more than help it.

Also, the AOTC version looks pretty good next to the BMF. One in the scale you mention would make the BMF look smaller and more out of scale.

In addition, at the higher price point, I can't see even the most dedicated fan wanting to pay for it again in the ESB scheme.

DarkArtist
03-25-2010, 08:33 AM
all depends on the sculpt, the price and the play features.....

if this is the end all be all of Slave 1's with uber features, electronics, figures etc and the price is the medium range (hopefully under $75) then I'd say YES

so for now put me done as a Yes.

Darth Metalmute
03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
The problem is, the current Slave 1 if re-released would be in the 60-75 dollar range. ANy new features could balloon this ship to 100 dollars. As much as I love Slave I, I'm not paying 100 dollars for it. Basing the design on the interior cross sections book would probably bump the cost into the 150 dollar range.

If Hasbro could get a re-designed ship, which great features, and sounds, for under 75 dollars. I on-board...... for the ESB version.

The features I would want that aren't on the latest version are a holding place for a carbinated Han Solo, a jail cell, and sound.

bigbarada
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
AOTC Slave 1? No.

ESB Slave 1? Maybe, but it better be fan-freakin'-tastic.

DarkJedi5
03-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't think it needs all the features Tycho describes (bunk-beds, launching speeder, four seat cockpit) but I would be really excited. I would pay $100 for a BMF style Slave I in AOTC (and then another $100 for an ESB one) gladly. I'm not Fett-fanatic but the original Slave I was one of my absolute favorite toys because it had more fun play features than the Falcon and was infinitely more "whooshable". It turns out though that that is still the only Slave I I own and it doesn't look very good compared to more modern vehicles. It's a very memorable ship, in both films, and deserves some special treatment.

El Chuxter
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
No. The Slave-1 is ugly, and has been released too many times already. Give us Jocasta Nu first, she looks better and will sell more.

Snowtrooper
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Tycho's suggestions would make for a really cool ship and if Hasbro made it that way, I'd probably buy it. But I don't think it would do very well as a large vehicle. It seems like a vehicle that would fit better in the mid-sized category.

mtriv73
03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
If it was a significant upgrade like you described I'd buy it (and the ESB repaint) in a heartbeat and gladly pay the $100+ it would cost.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
I love the 2002 one, and I'm not super enthusiastic about another, but it could be cool. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with one based on its probable Clone Wars appearance.

The Space Outlaw
03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
If it's done right, in half a heartbeat. I'd buy both versions. I might buy a third and make a custom. I LOVE the Firespray design.

TheDarthVader
03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I would have to say YES to this one.

Darth Jax
03-25-2010, 09:02 PM
while capable of transporting multiple individuals, boba's slave 1 is essential a one-man ship (same for jango, except when he's taking boba along). so from a size standpoint, i'm fine with the current one.

bounty holding cell(s) and a slide opening ramp would be neat, but thats as much interior play as it needs. so i don't need a slave 1 with the massive ship retreatment, but some minor tweaks to the one we have would be cool. if it pushes the price past $50 i wouldn't buy it.

Old Fossil
03-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Not really. The AOTC is a stellar ship, though I much prefer the more worn and battered version of Boba's time.

I just want a shot at the Target exclusive OTC version, for a decent price.

JediTricks
03-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, I would buy one. The existing ones are both tiny, and the new one lacks the rear door while the original has a mediocre door. The AOTC mold has almost no interior and doesn't even have a rotating cockpit, which has always seemed like a nifty feature to me. The SOTE version is the Kenner version with a better paint scheme, and while it looks good from the outside, they neglected to put ANY detail on the inside. Neither can sit flat as it did in the movie because they have handles on the bottom.

Tycho
04-20-2010, 03:55 PM
A new Big Jango Slave-One (and acknowledged Boba Fett repaint) wins by 12-2!

3 people said they'd only buy Boba Fett's ESB colors for the ship, but that would still give this toy a 9-2 victory (I did not count my vote for this poll - I'm on the fence with this ship personally. I don't really need it but could be tempted. Maybe.)

One person said they'd only buy the ship if it retailed for $50 or under.

Even an 8-2 victory is still a victory.

We have a winner and demand noted for a Big Slave-One or the B.S.-1 here.

We have already gotten a lot of offerings like the BS-1 from Hasbro throughout their long history of their involvement with the Star Wars line. Why change things now? :D

OC47150
04-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I have the POTF2 Slave One, and the AOTC Slave One, so I don't need another one. But if I can find one on sale for a reasonable price, well....

If made, I'd be curious to see what it looks like.

Phantom-like Menace
04-23-2010, 07:23 AM
The only problem I have with a new Slave I is that I would pretty much be looking at having to purchase two of them. They'll inevitably do both Jango's version and Boba's version. I'd be annoyed to have one without the other.

I can so almost certainly I'd eventually get both.

RENDAR LIVES
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I have trouble paying for any toy over $50 (the new Y-wing looks fun but not $65 fun) but there are exceptions and this is one of them. I'd prefer the ESB colors but would buy both. I'd hope they'd space them out though as to make it somewhat more affordable.

I really miss the lights and sounds of classic vehicles. I'd like to see every weapon this ship has featured onscreen, storage for carbonite Han, a 3 person cockpit, and cells for captured bounties. I think ratcheting joints on the wings would be neat for locking them in different positions.

I prefer the Slave-1 as a smaller patrol and attack craft but I honestly question how much smaller it is than the Falcon in scale. Depending on AOTC or ESB it seems to be a different scale from what I remember.

I wish someone would explaine the inflation thing to me. The figures haven't increased that much in price but with the modern articulation i think the price jumps are pretty modest. In the vehicle line though I feel it's the opposite. How is an all new mold cheaper than a re-issued or retooled mold? It just doesn't make sense to me. I do think the AOTC sculpt of Slave-1 is "good enough" but it originally retailed for $35 as did the ARC-170 and Gunship if I remember correctly and each re-release of them we see that price jump. It's not like they didn't already make their profit or have to tool a new mold. So what gives. Plastic for a new starfighter class vehicle verses a retool doesn't cut it.

El Chuxter
04-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Based on Q&A answers from (at least) two other sites, it looks like this is semi-confirmed. I still won't buy it. I think I'd rather have a zit on my left buttcheek.

DarkJedi5
04-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm super excited about the semi-confirmed AOTC Slave I. Hopefully I won't have too wait for it to be released. Even December would feel like too far away. I'm so glad I never bought the previous versions!

JediTricks
04-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Going by Clone Wars, Slave I just got like 300% bigger. There's now an AIRLOCK that can hold 3 people BEHIND the cockpit near the TOP - say WHAAAAAT?!? Apparently Slave I is now twice as big as the Falcon, judging by how much they scrammed into that scene in Clone Wars. No way they can do a toy like that. Still, I'll take one that has more interior room and is fun to play with.

Tycho
04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
There always was an airlock there. Check Incredible Cross-Sections.

The BMF is still way under scale. There are 2 concentric tunnels running around the interior of the Falcon with the rec lounge (with the chess table) being in the inside track. There wasn't room to put that in the BMF or it'd be huge.

Slave-One is also a much bigger ship than starfighter assortment size. It has prisoner cages and bunk beds for 4 or more crew members, a speederbike "garage," etc.

JediTricks
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
There is no airlock on the Incredible Cross Sections, nor enough space for an airlock and a prisoner cell BEHIND the cockpit:
http://www.phombo.com/science-technology/star-wars-incredible-cross-sections/12642/full/popular/
(this version of Slave I is about twice as big as the OT Slave I they cross-sectioned)

Darth Metalmute
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Didn't they have the OT cross section book before the E2 one? And they didn't check their sources? Wow.

Val Da Car
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Will they repaint it for ESB to have us buy it twice in the Supersize scale?

DarkJedi5
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM

I don't see a problem with that. I really don't think the toy is going to be that much bigger than it should be. After all, how often does Hasbro scale up vehicles, especially ones that are already kinda big?

JediTricks
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Didn't they have the OT cross section book before the E2 one? And they didn't check their sources? Wow.The OT Cross Section doesn't show that angle of the interior, but makes it plain that the episode's "airlock" is a big sensor antenna and that there's not enough room behind the pilot seat capsule for an airlock much less space to seat 3 people laying down BEHIND another cabin with 3 people sitting.

Ultimately, I don't think they cared, they went with what the story needs were for efficient storytelling rather than obeying canon.

bigbarada
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Nobody is making you buy these things.

Tycho
05-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Nobody is making you buy these things.

It is the will of the Force.

I hear Toys R Us or the one of the other retailers' toy isles call to me in my head - and suddenly I am compelled to jump into my Jedi starfighter vehicle and drive to the particular store at any unpredictable hour and buy stuff.

I dunno. I can't stop the voices, man. I can't stop them.

Somebody help me! I need the Talz figures from CW! Aaaaaarrrghh!

Ando
05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I can't remember if I voted in this thread or not, but put me down for 2 Slave I's: 1 of each in both Jango and Boba colors.

Devo
05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't know if I'd buy an AOTC version. My first priority would be the ESB one but knowing that this one is more likely to come first...I dunno. It'd be hard to pass on I know that. I kinda would like a decent sized Slave I for the Kamino landing pad scene.

The Space Outlaw
05-05-2010, 05:13 PM
So, is this actually going to happen or is the whole "confirmed" thing an elaborate joke? Seriously, I have no idea what the latest news is.

Devo
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Hasbro used the words 'We cannot confirm nor deny'...usually that means the rumour is true. And the Slave I is a pretty good candidate for Big treatment, a very action-orientated ship belonging to a very popular action-orientated character, appearing in 2 films and now Clone Wars. Not my personal favourite choice but its obvious why they might be seriously thinking of it.

The Space Outlaw
05-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Man, I seriously hope so. And it better not suck. :frus:

morpheus282
05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
It would depend greatly on the price point and my finances at the time, but I'm going to go with a "yes" on this one. If done well, I'd go for it. I've got both the original POTF version (my ESB vintage from 1980 is lost to the sands of time) and the AOTC remold already, and I'd probaly give them to the kids since a big Slave 1 would be huge if done in the right scale and too large to fly around the house.

Give us Jocasta Nu first, she looks better and will sell more.

You're kidding, right?

Tycho
05-06-2010, 03:49 AM
No we both seriously want Jocasta. But I want her to be super-articulated with softgoods so that Hasbro can make her Jedi Starfighter and have it come with a cargo module that can help Jocasta take library data files through outer space. :yes:

morpheus282
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I suspect the two of you may need to form a support group...

dindae
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I really don't think I could pull the trigger on this one. As far as the movies go you really only see the outside. I have no don't that if it comes out it will put the current one to show but it will also be sizeably bigger and I don't know that it will be cool enough to warrant paying $75-100 for a vehicle I was essentially happy with and don't really have room to store a replacement, although i'm thinking of a solution to vehicle storage in general. The only similar instance is BMF and that is definately worth the money but I just don't have the room but if I do find a solution to that problem I will pick it up. So essentially I'm leaning towards no but I could be amazed by the craftmanship and decide that I really want it in my collection.

El Chuxter
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
My point was that the Slave-One is a piece of crap. Until it appeared in The Clone Wars, it had no hope of selling more than five units worldwide. Now, it might sell as many as fifteen.

The Space Outlaw
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
My point was that the Slave-One is a piece of crap. Until it appeared in The Clone Wars, it had no hope of selling more than five units worldwide. Now, it might sell as many as fifteen.

Dude, what are you talking about? Boba Fett is one of the most-loved sci-fi characters EVER, and anything associated with him, done well and recognizable from an on-screen appearance, should sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

El Chuxter
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd argue that Boba Fett is no more a character than Darth Maul. He's a plot device with a nice-looking set of armor. And a lot of people are really, really burned out by the hard-on Lucasfilm has had with Boba Fett over the past several years. I'd like to see a spin-off movie that is just different angles of him falling into the Sarlaac for two hours.

I really do not think that a Slave-One priced at over $50 would sell well at all, and folks are wanting one that's so big it'd have to be more than twice that. Adult collectors would buy it. Some kids would buy it now that it appeared on the TV show. But even the Falcon didn't sell particularly well at $150, and you don't get much more iconic than that.

bigbarada
05-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd argue that Boba Fett is no more a character than Darth Maul. He's a plot device with a nice-looking set of armor. And a lot of people are really, really burned out by the hard-on Lucasfilm has had with Boba Fett over the past several years. I'd like to see a spin-off movie that is just different angles of him falling into the Sarlaac for two hours.

I really do not think that a Slave-One priced at over $50 would sell well at all, and folks are wanting one that's so big it'd have to be more than twice that. Adult collectors would buy it. Some kids would buy it now that it appeared on the TV show. But even the Falcon didn't sell particularly well at $150, and you don't get much more iconic than that.

I mostly agree with you. Except Darth Maul had a much more important role in Ep1 than Boba Fett did in AOTC, ESB and ROTJ rolled together. Maul actually killed one of the main characters in Ep1, Boba Fett didn't even really capture Han Solo, Calrissian and Vader captured him and merely handed him off to Fett.

Most of my friends are not Star Wars fans by any stretch of the imagination. They don't necessarily hate SW, they were entertained by the movies for a couple of hours, but that's about it. However, if you were to mention names like Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, R2-D2, etc., they would know exactly who you were talking about. If you mention Boba Fett, the unanimous response is almost always, "Who's Boba Fett?" So he hasn't really permeated into the mass-consciousness of popular culture as much as Boba Fett fans would like everyone to believe.

Even casual viewers will recognize the Millenium Falcon and the AT-ATs, but the Slave 1 is just not important enough to the films for me to believe that a gigantic $100+ toy would do anything but sink at retail.

The Space Outlaw
05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd argue that Boba Fett is no more a character than Darth Maul. He's a plot device with a nice-looking set of armor. And a lot of people are really, really burned out by the hard-on Lucasfilm has had with Boba Fett over the past several years.

And judging by the number of Mandalorian symbol tattoos I've seen, I'm guessing a whole lot of people aren't.

I'd like to see a spin-off movie that is just different angles of him falling into the Sarlaac for two hours.

If that were a YouTube channel I'd subscribe to it. Especially if we got it interspersed with scenes of "Blind-As-A-Bat" Han Solo repeatedly, at various speeds and hi-def slo-mo, whacking Fett in the jetpack completely by accident and sending one of the galaxy's scariest, baddest sons-of-a-gun careening helplessly to that painful (and disgusting) fate like the Human Torch with a bucket over his head.

True, but it's arguable the Falcon didn't sell as well as it could have because it was released right in the thick of a major economic recession when credit is tight, wages are low, unemployment is high and hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who would desperately want such an item simply couldn't afford it (especially considering many are living in conditions greatly downgraded from where they might have been a few years before, and thus have no place to put such beasts). In fact, one could reasonably say Hasbro's timing has been rather unfortunate with these big vehicles; it might be a great thing if the economy wasn't such a mess and people had more disposable income.

I don't think it's any specific defect in design or execution of the individual toy or its popularity in the fandom that totally decides its sales figures. I'll bet there's plenty of kids out there who know and love Fett, not just because of CW, but because their dad or uncle or older brother is a Fett fan too and that, like loyalty to sports teams, tends to pass through the generational barrier (at least those fans and their kids I've seen). They might want a big Slave I as badly as their dad does, and gives Dad the perfect excuse to buy it. I'll tell you point-blank; there's tons of stuff I've had to pass up over the past few years due to lack of funds. One should not confuse low sales with lack of interest; there is not necessarily a causal relationship between them.

bigbarada
05-06-2010, 10:00 PM
one of the galaxy's scariest, baddest sons-of-a-gun.

Too bad none of that was really shown onscreen. Boba Fett came off as Vader's lackey in ESB and Jabba's clumsy errand-boy in ROTJ. He was just a weird kid who got enjoyment from watching people get shot at in AOTC.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-06-2010, 11:23 PM
The recent three-part Clone Wars Boba Fett arc really expanded his character, particularly the first episode. But I know you're never going to watch it, so never mind. :p

El Chuxter
05-06-2010, 11:25 PM
So did the series of young adult novels that the three-part Clone Wars story trampled on, but you're never going to read it, so never mind. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-06-2010, 11:44 PM
So did the series of young adult novels that the three-part Clone Wars story trampled on, but you're never going to read it, so never mind. ;)
Ah, yes. The thrilling adventures of Boba Fett as he tracks down his dad's bank account . . . but he can't find the PIN! Oh no! :D

bigbarada
05-07-2010, 02:19 AM
The recent three-part Clone Wars Boba Fett arc really expanded his character, particularly the first episode. But I know you're never going to watch it, so never mind. :p

Your post reminded me that I've been forgetting to keep up with those episodes. I just watched the 3-part Boba episodes on Cartoon Network's website.

My first impression: HOLY CRAP! A Klatooinian Bounty Hunter! :thumbsup: Now I have a new action figure to campaign for after CW Bossk gets made! What was his name? Castus?

Anyways, I was a little disappointed that Bossk played so minimal of a role in the story; but they did a decent job of making young Boba Fett interesting.... for the most part. I could have done with a little less nobility and more ruthlessness from his character, however. I like the idea of making Aurra Singh into Boba's mentor. It makes her character seem much less... pointless. It's also a cool way to tie some PT/OT plot threads together.

Also, it looks like the Slave 1 blows up at the end of the episode (I hope that's not a spoiler, because I guess I'm the last person on the planet to see these episodes), but I'm assuming that Honda Ohnaka (great to see him again!) and his men will rebuild it and repaint it. If so that would be another cool way to link one of my favorite CW characters into mainline SW continuity.

Well, this has all been enough to make me want to see more of Boba in this show because it seems like they are building up to something. And if Hasbro is planning to make young Boba, Aurra, Bossk and Castus (sp?) as action figures, then I would definitely consider buying a larger, CW-styled Slave 1.

Darth Metalmute
05-07-2010, 08:23 AM
True, but it's arguable the Falcon didn't sell as well as it could have because it was released right in the thick of a major economic recession when credit is tight, wages are low, unemployment is high and hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who would desperately want such an item simply couldn't afford it (especially considering many are living in conditions greatly downgraded from where they might have been a few years before, and thus have no place to put such beasts). In fact, one could reasonably say Hasbro's timing has been rather unfortunate with these big vehicles; it might be a great thing if the economy wasn't such a mess and people had more disposable income.

Thats what happened to me. I would have gladly paid 150 for it. But I couldn't afford it at the time. When I finally had enough money for one, they were nowhere to be found.

Also, it looks like the Slave 1 blows up at the end of the episode (I hope that's not a spoiler, because I guess I'm the last person on the planet to see these episodes), but I'm assuming that Honda Ohnaka (great to see him again!) and his men will rebuild it and repaint it. If so that would be another cool way to link one of my favorite CW characters into mainline SW continuity.

Slave one blew up?:sad: Dang, I really should have watched that last night.
I've been putting it off until my son can watch it with me.

DarkJedi5
05-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I will point out that the Slave I dips below the horizon and then an explosion is seen. Since you don't see it blow up, I think it was damaged but not destroyed.

bigbarada
05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I will point out that the Slave I dips below the horizon and then an explosion is seen. Since you don't see it blow up, I think it was damaged but not destroyed.

Yeah, it's possible that it was just a really spectacular crash landing. Obviously it doesn't get destroyed. I just find it interesting that it crashes right next to some pirates who seem to specialize in salvaging old hardware. I have a feeling that Hondo and his men will end up rebuilding it as seen in the OT.

And sorry for the spoiler everyone. I didn't realize that this episode had just aired last night.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah, it's possible that it was just a really spectacular crash landing. Obviously it doesn't get destroyed. I just find it interesting that it crashes right next to some pirates who seem to specialize in salvaging old hardware. I have a feeling that Hondo and his men will end up rebuilding it as seen in the OT.

And sorry for the spoiler everyone. I didn't realize that this episode had just aired last night.
It aired last week, so there were no spoilers involved.

DarkArtist
05-07-2010, 03:54 PM
i thought I read somewhere that Boba Fett rebuilds Slave 1 making it his own and upgrading Jango's modifications to make the Slave 1 even more advanced.

either way i still want a Big Slave 1

Darth Metalmute
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM

Don't worry about it. I usually watch it during first airing, but something came up and had to put it off. My son decided that he would much rather not do his homework this week instead of watching the show. I almost watched it after the Wing's game, but figured he would get mad.

RamaSha
05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't buy a AOTC one, but I would support it being made because of the eventual and inevitable reuse for the ESB Slave 1.

Tycho
08-13-2010, 11:28 PM
I just opened Slave-One and I can say it's already set-up for an OT version!

In the interior there's a plug-hole in the wall where I bet you could hang carbon-frozen Han Solo - though I imagine he'd go in the prisoner holding cell that the current cage fits into now - so you can accurately take Solo up the ramp.

Nicely done!

There's also space above the cockpit (accessable unfortunately only by swinging open the whole cockpit loading panel (with the window in it).

I think for the PT / CW version they could have added another firing weapon feature like the "gatling gun" 4-shooter on the AOTC version that I like so much. It couldn't be rear-activated, but you could have it shoot some other way, or install the pop-out missile launcher on the side like Jango used vs. Obi-Wan.

Overall, I really, really like this one. It's so worth it!

(And yes, Hasbro already said there will be a Boba Fett repaint from ESB in 2 or so years so don't bother making customs).

bkusna
08-13-2010, 11:44 PM
I just opened Slave-One and I can say it's already set-up for an OT version!

In the interior there's a plug-hole in the wall where I bet you could hang carbon-frozen Han Solo - though I imagine he'd go in the prisoner holding cell that the current cage fits into now - so you can accurately take Solo up the ramp.

Nicely done!

There's also space above the cockpit (accessable unfortunately only by swinging open the whole cockpit loading panel (with the window in it).

I think for the PT / CW version they could have added another firing weapon feature like the "gatling gun" 4-shooter on the AOTC version that I like so much. It couldn't be rear-activated, but you could have it shoot some other way, or install the pop-out missile launcher on the side like Jango used vs. Obi-Wan.

Overall, I really, really like this one. It's so worth it!

(And yes, Hasbro already said there will be a Boba Fett repaint from ESB in 2 or so years so don't bother making customs).

how much larger is this version from previously released ones? thanx

Tycho
08-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I am a bad judge of that. Undoubtably someone (probably on Rebelscum) will eventually post a comparison picture.

However, this new Slave One is definitely bigger - at least 25% bigger - maybe more.

I think I love this ship and would be very likely to buy a Boba Fett repaint / upgrade with new features for ESB once Hasbro's Brian Mertens does some more magic with it.

It's so good the way it already is, though!

I'm looking at OT vehicles that Hasbro could do for the "Super-Big size," and they'll now have to be all-new (except the Sandcrawler was made before).

But the Sandcrawler, Sailbarge, Blockade Runner, and Star Destroyer are the remaining candidates unless they do the Imperial Landing Craft which is much more obscure. The Imperial Shuttle (remade) or the Mon Calamari Command Ship are much less likely.

Interceptors, A-Wings, and B-Wings don't really need expensive redos.

C'mon Sailbarge!

bkusna
08-14-2010, 12:11 AM
I am a bad judge of that. Undoubtably someone (probably on Rebelscum) will eventually post a comparison picture.

However, this new Slave One is definitely bigger - at least 25% bigger - maybe more.

I think I love this ship and would be very likely to buy a Boba Fett repaint / upgrade with new features for ESB once Hasbro's Brian Mertens does some more magic with it.

It's so good the way it already is, though!

I'm looking at OT vehicles that Hasbro could do for the "Super-Big size," and they'll now have to be all-new (except the Sandcrawler was made before).

But the Sandcrawler, Sailbarge, Blockade Runner, and Star Destroyer are the remaining candidates unless they do the Imperial Landing Craft which is much more obscure. The Imperial Shuttle (remade) or the Mon Calamari Command Ship are much less likely.

Interceptors, A-Wings, and B-Wings don't really need expensive redos.

C'mon Sailbarge!
absolutely agree with the sailbarge.....if you think about it, hasbro is producing quite a few figures that would be great displays on a LARGE sailbarge...new R2 with launching lightsaber, NIKTO GUNNER
(Nysad), PRINCESS LEIA with Sail Barge Cannon..etc...

Tycho
08-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I talked to Hasbro (Darryl, Brian, and Mark) at Comic Con and pointed out that 2013 is ROTJ's 30th Anniversary.

The Sailbarge is also going to be featured in the Clone Wars 3rd Season (2010-2011).

So a Sailbarge that starts to come out for Fall / Christmas 2012 would be on shelves for ROTJ's 30th!

Makes perfect sense to me.

They said, "We'll see."

Meanwhile, 2012 is AOTC's 10th Anniversary. I think a Republic Star Destroyer would fit in very nicely. With the AT-TE, most of the other AOTC stuff is done. An S-PHAT or maybe Nute Gunray's / General Grievous' shuttle could be in order?

But the Sailbarge is DUE!

bkusna
08-14-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't know why but the new R2 with launching lightsaber convinces me that a sailbarge will definitely be produced.....it's a nicely sculpted figure with all the details.....only thing it's lacking is a launching pad from the deck of a sailbarge ...

Tycho
08-14-2010, 01:14 AM
And they made the Nikto gunner with a clip-on blaster cannon...

Darth Metalmute
08-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I talked to Hasbro (Darryl, Brian, and Mark) at Comic Con and pointed out that 2013 is ROTJ's 30th Anniversary.

The Sailbarge is also going to be featured in the Clone Wars 3rd Season (2010-2011).

So a Sailbarge that starts to come out for Fall / Christmas 2012 would be on shelves for ROTJ's 30th!

Makes perfect sense to me.

They said, "We'll see."

Meanwhile, 2012 is AOTC's 10th Anniversary. I think a Republic Star Destroyer would fit in very nicely. With the AT-TE, most of the other AOTC stuff is done. An S-PHAT or maybe Nute Gunray's / General Grievous' shuttle could be in order?

But the Sailbarge is DUE!

I only hope that they do it in realistic style and not clone wars style. But my guess is the latter.

DarkJedi5
08-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I only hope that they do it in realistic style and not clone wars style. But my guess is the latter.

Really? I really get the impression that the Hasbro team has done all of the vehicles in the realistic style, even the stuff from Clone Wars. The only exception is the Jedi Starfighter, but that's the only vehicle so far that looks cartoony. Everything else has been entirely realistic, so I don't think there's much concern that a Sailbarge would look like it was from CW instead of ROTJ.

mtriv73
08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
At least they've moved from "never" to "we'll see"

Darth Metalmute
08-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Really? I really get the impression that the Hasbro team has done all of the vehicles in the realistic style, even the stuff from Clone Wars. The only exception is the Jedi Starfighter, but that's the only vehicle so far that looks cartoony. Everything else has been entirely realistic, so I don't think there's much concern that a Sailbarge would look like it was from CW instead of ROTJ.

I think the molds have been realistic, I think the color schemes are more vibrant and animated looking.

I loved the AT-TE, but the paint job makes me think animated. I haven't seen Slave I yet but from the pictures the paint scheme looks animated.

I would hate to finally get a Sailbarge, only to have it a bright brown color instead of rustic brown.

Tycho
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
The animated paint schemes are cheaper because to do the realistic, battle-worn Star Wars realistic look, they need to go over the paint and layer it - such as for the POTF2 Slave One which had an excellent paint job.

Note the V-19 Torrent Starfighter and though it's an EU vehicle from the cartoon, how everyone said if it was just "blasted up and smoke-stained" it would have looked that much better.

I would agree.

When Hasbro makes its money back on the initial tooling investment, they can go back and add more, only to make more money, their original revenue forecasts met.

Look at the vintage 1979 Millennium Falcon toy. Re-released in 1995 after 3 vintage releases in the '80's, the toy was again updated for re-release in 2004 for the OTC with electronic engine lights being added (before the BMF debuted in 2008).

Now the paint scheme on the new Slave-One seems good enough for me for an AOTC version. I don't think "Boba's" CW ship needs a repaint to be Jango's movie version. The ship only needs Boba's ESB paint scheme version.

I'd be so eager to buy a sailbarge I doubt I'd hesitate on a CW paint version for use in my ROTJ scene.

I'd only buy 1 - for ROTJ. But if a repaint came out later, I might pick that up since this is such an iconic ROTJ scene and I could refill the sailbarge my modern figures "evacuated" with CW figures anyway.

Amongst CW figures, I get extra Vulture's Claw battlepacks for extra Gar Nachts, plus Hondo Ohnaka and the new Nikto figure can be added to give Jabba some CW thugs. There will be more bounty hunters (I'm sure Bossk will get single-carded) and I'd like to see the Weequay, Klatoonian, and Gamorrean characters, as well as a Gran, a Dug, and a Twi'lek - all species we've seen in multiple episodes of CW. You can start to fill a CW sailbarge with that.

However, there are dozens of great movie figures from ROTJ that really need a sailbarge very badly!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2010, 11:52 PM
It's not like there isn't weathering or texture on the ships in The Clone Wars. It's more to do with extra deco being too expensive to add anymore, so they focus on other areas of the vehicles.