PDA

View Full Version : Jedi speed and using it in TPM...does not make sense

TheDarthVader
03-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Remember how Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan used jedi super speed when the destroyer droids with the shield generators came rolling in at the start of TPM? And they ran pretty darn fast. So........why didn't Obi Wan use his jedi super speed to catch up to Qui Gon and Darth Maul? Makes no sense to me why he would not use it.

Snowtrooper
03-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Its glaringly inconsistent, but I chalked it up to being a tactical error on Obi-Wan's part. Even though he's just on the verge of becoming a jedi, he's still pretty young and might still make that kind of an error. Throughout our lives, we all have those "what the **** was I thinking" moments. Just my opinion, anyways.

2-1B
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Timing. He had to time his maneuver through those energy beam shields. I thought it was a pretty obvious plot device to keep them separated so Maul could kill Jinn.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
When I first saw the movie, I didn't think they really used super speed, that is was more of just how it was edited. However, upon further viewing and seeing the idea incorporated into video games, I guess they did use it.

As far as why Obi-Wan didn't use it in the final battle, I thought I heard someplace that it had to do with energy levels. They hadn't expended much energy in the fight on the Trade Federation ship, and they were using it to escape. In the duel with Maul, they had exerted a lot of energy fighting him already. Also, Obi-Wan had just had a big fall, and had to use some energy to jump back up. To then use up more energy rushing into the battle might have left him depleted for the fight.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Also, it's possible that he might have not stopped in time, what with that big ol' hole in the middle of the floor.

JimJamBonds
03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
For that matter why don't they use the super speed to haul ash out of that arena in AOTC? Why doesn't Luke use it to get back to Echo base? etc etc etc.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2010, 06:16 PM
For that matter why don't they use the super speed to haul ash out of that arena in AOTC? Why doesn't Luke use it to get back to Echo base? etc etc etc.
In AOTC, they were surrounded by hundreds of droids. They wouldn't have likely retreated in the first place, thinking they could have defeated the droids, but the numbers proved to be too great.

In ESB, Luke barely had any training - he had to strain to get the lightsaber out of the snow. So he probably couldn't have used Force speed even if he had wanted to.

JimJamBonds
03-27-2010, 10:34 PM
In AOTC, they were surrounded by hundreds of droids. They wouldn't have likely retreated in the first place, thinking they could have defeated the droids, but the numbers proved to be too great.

How about a combo of that great leaping ability that Obbers shows in TPM along with that speed? :D

[quote=JJL}In ESB, Luke barely had any training - he had to strain to get the lightsaber out of the snow. So he probably couldn't have used Force speed even if he had wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll give you a pass on this one. :p

2-1B
03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Luke jumped like a bean outta that Carbonite slot, though.

El Chuxter
03-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, actually, Obi-Wan did not die. He ran so fast to stop Vader, he became one with the Speed Force.

Expect Didio and Johns and other dudes with Silver Age boners to bring him back from the dead to fight a resurrected Darth Bane in Episode VII.