PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow's SW Clone Wars General Skywalker

jedibear
03-27-2010, 09:50 PM
The latest in the "Order of the Jedi" line of figures from Sideshow is another version of one of the saga's central characters, Anakin Skywalker.

This is the first character to feature the new 1.1 version of the Prometheus base body. The only significant change is an additional piece in the abdoman to add a little height to the figure. The rest of the body seems the same. Same old ugly neck, same pins/appendage treatment, etc.

The outfit is well done, but requires a little TLC to get futzed well. The figure arrives crammed into the tray, with the stand wire already clipped onto the waist, right over the costume, adding unwanted creases into the pleather skirt. I hope that having the stand piece shipped like this is not going to be the norm from now on...I can see some potential damage to some outfits from this.

Having the gauntlets as separate pieces from the gloves is a good design move...makes for more options with the hands and posing. The peg system for the hands and feet seemed a little looser with this figure, but not in a bad way...the hands snap off a little easier than before but still manage to stay on the figure's wrists well.

I sure hope that Sideshow revisits the neck treatment on this body soon...it's just terrible looking...anything other than a straight on view of it looks awkward and strange...it just doesn't work.

That all said, there is one major aspect to this figure that is a stunning success here, and that's the portrait and the paint apps.

This figure puts an interesting spin on ongoing discussions in the collector community regarding "likeness" and accuracy in the portrait sculpts. It is neither a "true" representation of the character as he appears in the Clone Wars animated series nor is it a perfect representation of Hayden Christensen as Anakin.

Instead, it's a remarkable combination of aspects of both with an emphasis on capturing the essence of the character of Anakin Skywalker...and it does this quite superbly. Hats off to the Sideshow team for finding that balance in this presentation of the "Hero Without Fear"....well done, indeed!

So bottom line for me...it's a great figure of this important SW character...

Some shots for your viewing pleasure....:)

Jayspawn
04-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Cool looking figure. I'd pick him up on sale, but AOTC Anakin is higher on my want list.

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 12:30 AM
From the figure's right, the lower face looks fat, but the other angles looks good. It's probably just the 1 photo angle then.

Cool shots, looks like a good series of hero shots.

The figure doesn't annoy me in your photos as their prototype did, but the outfit looks very cheap at the vest and tunic. Is that the case, or is it just one of those things you have to see in person?

jedibear
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I think this figure is definitely one of those that has to be seen "in hand" to really appreciate.

It's funny how I PPO'd this one, then I cancelled it...then I saw some good shots of the production piece and jumped back on the WL and got it. It's reminding me of the Assaj Ventress figure and/or the Clone Armor Kenobi figure...neither of which were high on my list, but once I had them...well, I ended up really impressed. This CW version of Anakin is the same way...glad I got it and yes, I'm really impressed with him. I just wish the ROTS version of him featured as good of a head sculpt and paint apps...ah, well.

Now that's not to say I'm not anxiously awaiting a Sideshow version of Anakin from AOTC! I am!