PDA

View Full Version : Where is our live action star wars series?

TheDarthVader
03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
What is the deal with this? Did I miss some information somewhere? When is the live action star wars series coming out? If I am not mistaken, it is due out sometime this year. ????

El Chuxter
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Much like the Clone Wars, it's been coming "in a year or two" for ages. Also like the Clone Wars, I fully expect the actual show to never materialize, and some pile of crap with the same name to be aired in its stead.

mabudonicus
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
I'd feel pretty confident in saying "never going to happen" at this point, certainly not the way it was supposed to go down- wasn't it initially promised for 2008 or something, then the plan to make the films in 3-D pushed that back indefinitely a couple of years ago or something like that?
With the toy line having such a questionable future at this point, and with Clone Wars suppoosedly doing decently, I can't imagine putting all the money that would be needed into a live-action series. I would think that the best one could possibly hope for would be a mini-series of maybe 6 episodes, but even that feels like a real longshot.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Tho if someone options that Cruisemissile Troopers fan-fic I would imagine it could be made at a considerable savings :D

Rocketboy
03-31-2010, 01:40 PM
The latest rumors I've heard:
Preproduction is well under way, apparently.
Lucasfilm has hired a bunch of writers that are plodding along, writing an entire season before they shoot anything (all under Lucas' supervision).
All scripts could be completed this year and filming could get under way in Australia early next year for a possible fall 2011 premiere.

I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing it before 2012.

JimJamBonds
03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
The latest rumors I've heard:
Preproduction is well under way, apparently.
Lucasfilm has hired a bunch of writers that are plodding along, writing an entire season before they shoot anything (all under Lucas' supervision).
All scripts could be completed this year and filming could get under way in Australia early next year for a possible fall 2011 premiere.

I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing it before 2012.

Interesting, before reading this post I was inclined to agree with what Mabs said.

JediTricks
03-31-2010, 02:48 PM
They've been aiming for 2011 for a couple years now. They've started preproduction in Australia, and aside from the writers they brought in before, they've started looking for a showrunner in Australia who has worked on female-show-centric stuff, evening drama stuff. It sounds like it is on track, but Lucas has gone off the rails. :p

JimJamBonds
03-31-2010, 04:15 PM
They've been aiming for 2011 for a couple years now. They've started preproduction in Australia, and aside from the writers they brought in before, they've started looking for a showrunner in Australia who has worked on female-show-centric stuff, evening drama stuff. It sounds like it is on track, but Lucas has gone off the rails. :p

Isn't his involvement (going to be) limited? I thought I remember reading that he'd help it get off the ground and then back away and let others handle it.

El Chuxter
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Tho if someone options that Cruisemissile Troopers fan-fic I would imagine it could be made at a considerable savings :D

I don't know if it's quite that, but I've heard rumors that the show will star Captain Frassk.

2-1B
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
GLu isn't proceeding any further until Chux admits ROTS is a better than average movie.

El Chuxter
03-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Then the show is dead. :p I'll give it average, but no better. Except for Grievous, who was gorgeous, even if pointless.

Darth Jax
03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
whats up with another animated show aimed at the younger demographic?

JediTricks
04-01-2010, 03:12 AM
As I understand it, originally Lucas wanted to write all the episodes of the first seasons and then let it be what it must be, then realized he's not cut out for writing TV and is sorta up in the air about it.

JimJamBonds
04-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks JT, that's what I remember as well (about the writing process).

Devo
04-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't really care at this point. The PT set the tone for what Star Wars is these days and I just don't like it. I'm happy with just the OT.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
According to Heckler Spray (http://www.hecklerspray.com/george-lucas-puts-star-wars-tv-series-on-ice/201049009.php), the series is now on hold due to budgeting issues.

What do you do if you’ve created Star Wars, made loads of money, disappointed everyone with Jar Jar Binks, tied up all the loose-ends of the Skywalker family and tried to forget all about Howard the Duck?

Well, if you’re George Lucas- which you’re not – you decide to make a Star Wars TV show… no, not ’80s cartoon Droids or recent effort, Clone Wars, but a proper live-action thing with loads of CGI.

Lucas announced his intention to produce a programme set between the events of Revenge Of The Sith and A New Hope back in 2005. However, things aren’t quite going to plan.

The future of the project is now uncertain.

Lucas says:

“The live action TV show is kind of on hold because we have scripts, but we don’t know how to do them.”

Lucas, as ever, has a very big idea and concept behind the stories and naturally, budget restraints are making it difficult to realise what he has in that head of his.

“They literally are Star Wars, only we’re going to have to try to do them a tenth the cost.”

“It’s a huge challenge, a lot bigger than what we thought it was gonna be.”

Still, it isn’t all holding fire at Lucasfilm.

There’s great news that Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, who brought us Robot Chicken, are developing an animated Star Wars comedy with Lucasfilm.
To be fair, they don't source anything, and just give the quotes, so the article could be completely bogus.

If true, then it confirms that they've been working on it but need to figure out how to move forward. Hopefully it will still happen.

JimJamBonds
08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Intersting post there JJL, I don't recall hearing the news about a SW comedy!?!?!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Intersting post there JJL, I don't recall hearing the news about a SW comedy!?!?!
It was all over the place a few months ago . . . there are a few threads about it in the SW TV section.

JimJamBonds
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Really? I don't recall those, time to get out the old shovel!

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
You probably read about it and blocked it from your mind. McDonald's Beard knows I did.

JimJamBonds
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
You probably read about it and blocked it from your mind. McDonald's Beard knows I did.

If I hear yamo be there one more time I'm going to yamo burn this place to the ground.

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Patience, JimJam. You must take it minute by minute. It keeps you runnin'.

JediTricks
08-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow, who would have thought that Lucas would have to work harder to make a weekly television show than 1 movie every 3 years? Oh, right, EVERYF***INGBODY!!! Maybe he should get a television producer instead of McCallum to explain how to make a television show on a schedule and a simpler budget! What a dingus! Modern Star Trek got made on a weekly basis for decades, Babylon 5 got 5 years and multiple TV movies out of a tiny budget and almost no audience, Syfy Channel kept Sliders on the air for multiple years after Fox canceled it, there's ways to do this stuff, it just requires vision and a better understanding of the industry - and Lucas has neither.

Lucas could even shoot this like the prequels, he's got scripts so he knows what characters need to be in what locales, he's got more greenscreen powers, and it's not hard to shoot enough material at one time for multiple episodes, he just needs to get someone to put all these things together on a budget about a quarter of a single prequel movie, then it's around $2 mil an episode.

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Or just do what Star Trek did with TNG: set more of the story in the interior of a ship or in fairly generic-looking sets. It turned out pretty nice for a 25-year-old syndicated TV series.

Maerj2000
08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
According to Heckler Spray (http://www.hecklerspray.com/george-lucas-puts-star-wars-tv-series-on-ice/201049009.php), the series is now on hold due to budgeting issues.

To be fair, they don't source anything, and just give the quotes, so the article could be completely bogus.

If true, then it confirms that they've been working on it but need to figure out how to move forward. Hopefully it will still happen.

I read about this a while ago. The quotes were taken from Lucas to a fan at one of the Star Wars in Concert events.

I imagine that a SW TV show episode would be a bit more ambitious and involved than the making of a regular tv series. It takes 3 years just to get one of the films made so basically trying to do that on a bi-weekly basis at a much lower budget would be quite an undertaking.

Corporate sponsership might be a way to go. I could see ABC trying to court Lucas and perhaps offering some production assistance. Disney seems to be buddying up to Lucas and this would be a great way to do it. Who knows?

JediTricks
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Or just do what Star Trek did with TNG: set more of the story in the interior of a ship or in fairly generic-looking sets. It turned out pretty nice for a 25-year-old syndicated TV series.
1) Those sets weren't generic, some were from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and designed to match up the concept of the hallways that were curved to match the saucer with the necessity of a limited shooting space. The others were meant to be the wider straight sections between the curves.

2) Lucas doesn't like to compromise. Ever since he had a panic attack making ANH and couldn't do all sorts of things, he's held regrets in his heart about making compromises, not understanding that challenge is a key ingredient to the human condition and to striving for better.

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I meant that the interiors only had to be built once. Most of the exterior shots were in jungles, or deserts, or other sets that could be anything, or they appeared to be filmed on location in not especially exotic locations. (I doubt the Picard vinyard was filmed in France, for instance.)

If they tried to do Star Wars as a TV show on the scale Lucas is used to, it would require an insane amount of sets and/or CG. For a movie, or even a series of movies, this can work. It can work for a cartoon. But for a live-action TV show (at least one that's anything more than a glorified miniseries), he's got to make some compromises.

Perhaps he should just totally let someone else take over, like you said, and only keep veto power for things like "Leia cheats on Han with Chewbacca, causing a second Galactic Civil War."

Rocketboy
08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I swear I heard this news a few weeks ago on the forcecast and thought "Oh well. Maybe someday."

I'm not too surprised at this. It's been delayed a few years already, what's a few more?

I've still got my Firefly (what a Han Solo-esque series could have been).

JediTricks
08-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I meant that the interiors only had to be built once. Most of the exterior shots were in jungles, or deserts, or other sets that could be anything, or they appeared to be filmed on location in not especially exotic locations. (I doubt the Picard vinyard was filmed in France, for instance.)

If they tried to do Star Wars as a TV show on the scale Lucas is used to, it would require an insane amount of sets and/or CG. For a movie, or even a series of movies, this can work. It can work for a cartoon. But for a live-action TV show (at least one that's anything more than a glorified miniseries), he's got to make some compromises.

Perhaps he should just totally let someone else take over, like you said, and only keep veto power for things like "Leia cheats on Han with Chewbacca, causing a second Galactic Civil War."
Oh, I see.

Lucas wants to do a lot of green-screen, so it's all about CGI costs. There are nice locations there, but he is gun-shy about locations that aren't just so.

El Chuxter
06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78577#ixzz1PBG1zyYI

"In a year or two" gets further and further away with every passing day. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Maybe it will become a reality show where SW fans text in story ideas to Jeremy Bulloch and Silas Carson who'll set up poll questions...

sith_killer_99
06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
"The TV series is on hold, but that has nothing to do with the Czech Republic; it has to do with [the episodes being] so ambitious," he added. "We have 50 hours of third-draft scripts, but the problem we have is there is a lot of digital animation; we don't have the technology yet to be able to do them at a price that is safe for television. Since we would be financing them, it would be suicide for us to do this [now]. So we are going to wait three or four years."

It's not like anyone could get away with pulling off a really awesome re-make of some high end special effects/digital animation sci-fi program like Battlestar Galactica and be successful at making money. They need to wait 3-4 years for the price to come down.

"Network television and cable television as we know it are completely imploding, so we're not really sure that in five years' time we can release a dramatic one-hour episode because it is all reality TV now."

Yeah, one hour TV dramas don't sell right now, they need to wait 5 years 'til the whole reality tv fad blows over.

So perhaps one day never we will see something. Lucas is afraid, after the Christmas Special he should be.

Making good televsion ain't like making movies boy, without good writers you could end up cancelled in mid season or left with a season cliff hanger and that would end your fandom real quick!

Just admit you guys couldn't get the people from BSG or LOST and now it ain't gonna happen.

JediTricks
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Good find, Chux. I posted it in the news. I found McCallum's honesty refreshing given his cheerleader status most of the time. 3, 4, 5 years, never? That's a long time to leave 50 scripts on the shelf, and prostitution in the SW universe is surprising as well.

And I can't wait to hear what constitutes success in the 3D release. I suspect it'll flop hard, conversion is rarely any good in general and Lucas has high standards.

SK99, keep in mind that BSG wasn't independently funded, and it was canceled fairly early for a successful series mainly because it was very expensive (and hemorrhaged viewers after SciFi Channel's problematic scheduling and a mediocre 3rd season). I guess Lucas doesn't want it to look like the CGI on the Stargate franchise, or really, like Sanctuary since it's the only 1 hour drama that's heavily greenscreen.

El Chuxter
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
If hour-long non-reality shows are doing so poorly, why did HBO order six full seasons of a show based on Neil Gaiman's American Gods? The fact is, the reality show is becoming so prevalent not because they get awesome ratings, but because they're cheaper to produce. Same with the crop of procedural dramas and teenybopper soaps; they essentially need only one script per genre. On the rare occasion an hour-long show is made that's quality and receives the sort of promotion it should (sorry, Pushing Daisies), they tend to be rather successful. Maybe not MASH successful, but they do well.

JediTricks
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
HBO doesn't make money the same way other cable channels do. Also, they didn't order 6 seasons, they put in an open order for UP TO 6 seasons. And Tom Hanks' production company is producing the series, which helps loosen coffers. HBO is apparently looking to spend around $35-40 mil per 12-episode season, around $3 million per episode - about 2/3rds of what they spent on Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire per season. Lucas is looking for a minimum of a 4 or 5 season commitment above what HBO is spending on Game of Thrones in order to ensure he doesn't end up losing hundreds of millions on production, or risking telling an incomplete story. Lucas in that respect doesn't want to take any risks, it seems, which is admirable but given his latest films is a bit unnecessary.

El Chuxter
06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Unless it's crappy, it will be a smash hit.

(If I wanted to be snide, I could point to Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars, and change that beginning of that sentence from "unless" to "even if.")

There are still non-HBO dramas that do well. I just pointed to HBO since they seem to be the best at it. Sons of Anarchy seems to be quite a hit. Sure, it's not (like I said before) MASH numbers, but there are more than three options for TV now, and that will never change (unless we get knocked into the Stone Age and have to re-invent TV).

Even hour-long dramas on regular TV that are promoted properly do well. Problem is, the networks don't promote them, because (I suspect) they cost more to make than reality shows. (I mentioned Pushing Daisies earlier--I never showed my DVDs to anyone who didn't love the show... but, trouble was, none had ever heard of it, either, in spite of watching television regularly.)

JediTricks
06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Unless it's crappy, it will be a smash hit.

(If I wanted to be snide, I could point to Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars, and change that beginning of that sentence from "unless" to "even if.")

There are still non-HBO dramas that do well. I just pointed to HBO since they seem to be the best at it. Sons of Anarchy seems to be quite a hit. Sure, it's not (like I said before) MASH numbers, but there are more than three options for TV now, and that will never change (unless we get knocked into the Stone Age and have to re-invent TV).

Even hour-long dramas on regular TV that are promoted properly do well. Problem is, the networks don't promote them, because (I suspect) they cost more to make than reality shows. (I mentioned Pushing Daisies earlier--I never showed my DVDs to anyone who didn't love the show... but, trouble was, none had ever heard of it, either, in spite of watching television regularly.)Sons of Anarchy doesn't require a lot of effects, and most of it is shot here in LA in the northeast area around Tujunga, so its budget goes into talent, and it's a hit series for FX. I don't think a Star Wars TV series is comparable, and I can't think of a really big draw show to compare it to. Something like CSI Miami is around $3 mil an episode with a 24-episode season, splitting its budget mostly towards talent and production, then effects, but it's a mega-hit and no chance in hell would Star Wars draw those kinds of numbers.

sith_killer_99
06-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Well, I think they are making the right decision, costs and technology/funding/etc. aside I stand by my statement about writers and television vs movies.

I see no indication Lucas Film has the talent to properly create a weekly one hour show for television.

Films are 2 hour fantasy adventures. In order to do a good television show it takes talented writers who understand character development. The best shows in recent years have all been character driven, it's all about nuances, details, and long term development.

Shows like BSG, LOST, The Shield, etc. are built one moment at a time, piece by piece, interaction by interaction. They have to be real, you have to connect with the character. The writers have to be able to look at a scene and ask "Would Lee Adama really cheat on his wife? What would be the end result? Could he and Kara Thrace ever have a real relationship, or would he get burned, if so how?"

The folks who brought us the SW films just wouldn't be able to pull that off IMO.

Maybe Russell T. Davies is available? lol

JimJamBonds
06-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Interesting find, good to get some news on what most of us had to have forgotten. In short I'll say this: won't happen.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-16-2011, 12:00 AM
When I first saw Firefly, I immediately thought that a Star Wars series would be possible. Something in that style would be perfect for the Han Solo trilogy.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-16-2011, 10:13 AM
When I first saw Firefly, I immediately thought that a Star Wars series would be possible. Something in that style would be perfect for the Han Solo trilogy.Great idea! That is an "easy" way to have scripts; just get permission to use the EU novels or comics to provide storylines. They could run for 4 weeks or so, per story arc (or longer, depending on the length of the original source), and that would allow different actors to cover the wide range of time periods over all the tales.

Blue2th
06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
When I first saw Firefly, I immediately thought that a Star Wars series would be possible. Something in that style would be perfect for the Han Solo trilogy.
Yeah, when I first saw it I thought the same. The Star Wars references were obvious, but still lots of originality. Were'nt they running from the Republic?
On the other hand since that successful series has already been made, I'm sure Lucas would want to avoid any comparison.

I dunno, I think even an animated series would be cool also, but in perhaps a different style. I would like to see a live action, but they are already proving that a semi-adult oriented animated series can be successful. That is breaking new ground.

bigbarada
06-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Maybe Lucas should consider hiring some people who are experiences in writing sci-fi for television. They would help him learn how to trim his ideas down into a manageable budget.

Either that or forget the live action show and give us another Clone Wars style animated series, except set during the OT timeframe.

JediTricks
06-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, I think they are making the right decision, costs and technology/funding/etc. aside I stand by my statement about writers and television vs movies.

I see no indication Lucas Film has the talent to properly create a weekly one hour show for television. What about Young Indy?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can't even say that with a straight face.

When I first saw Firefly, I immediately thought that a Star Wars series would be possible. Something in that style would be perfect for the Han Solo trilogy.Me too, but then Firefly was effectively canceled before it even aired, so it's not like it was a success.

sith_killer_99
06-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Me too, but then Firefly was effectively canceled before it even aired, so it's not like it was a success.

You shut your mouth! Firefly was successful enough to earn a full length feature film!

Okay, yeah, it was dead before it even got started, but it was enjoyable none the less.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Also, consider what the actors have done since then. Nathan Fillion has a hit series with Castle, Adam Baldwin is on Chuck, Morena Baccarin was in V, and Summer Glau has been in several sci-fi series (The 4400, Terminator, and The Cape). Alan Tudyk had roles in Dollhouse and V. This would be an all-star cast if a new series had all these people in it now. Of course, a new Star Wars series would probably have mostly unknowns, but it would have the Star Wars name recognition.

scruffziller
02-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Conversation to get this underway were uttered in 2013 by Disney and crew.

2-1B
03-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Also, consider what the actors have done since then. Nathan Fillion has a hit series with Castle, Adam Baldwin is on Chuck, Morena Baccarin was in V, and Summer Glau has been in several sci-fi series (The 4400, Terminator, and The Cape). Alan Tudyk had roles in Dollhouse and V. This would be an all-star cast if a new series had all these people in it now.

Not to mention their many lucrative appearances on the convention circuit.

El Chuxter
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
MSP, you forgot that Alan Tudyk also played King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph. Shame on you for overlooking his best non-Firefly role a year or two before the movie came out! :mad: