PDA

View Full Version : Justified on FX

Tycho
03-31-2010, 04:18 PM
So far I've enjoyed this show, but it hasn't been anything terribly special.

The main character is good and very likeable.

But someone explain to me why the character wears a cowboy hat and loves the quick-draw (with a modern .9mm) and someone let him pass his psyche profile to become a US Marshall?

JimJamBonds
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Because on his application his said that his GG grandfather was the sheriff in Deadwood.

2-1B
03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
because Elmore Leonard is the balls.

OC47150
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I enjoy the show, but think Sons of Anarchy is a little more edgy.

Other than the pilot ep, I think it's filmed in California. I'm surprised more Kentuckians haven't complained about their protrayal on the show.

LTBasker
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I've been really enjoying it, and was quite surprised. I hated Olyphant in Live Free & Die Hard, and not because he was the villain, but because he was an incredibly weak villain. I didn't think he could pull off a starring role, but he's been pretty great so far. I'm definitely keeping attuned to it, and wish it wasn't a new series so I could have a backlog of episodes to go through. It hasn't pulled off anything really amazing so far, but it's got some really well done character writing. Definitely like The Shield, but not attempting to be in your face.

I suppose it also helps that my hometown is easily relatable to the setting.

Tycho
04-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I think Olyphant could play either the hero or the villain in my Civil War novel, along with Josh Duhamel as the other one. I was thinking of Christopher Pine though. Maybe I'd have all of them. There are subordinant officer and commanding officer roles I've yet to think about casting.

Meanwhile, Justified is watchable and has its own charm. That's why I keep watching. It is not edgy at all. It's not The Shield of Sons of Anarchy, but it has its cast of character actors and Olyphant's lead is kind of mesmorizing to follow.

2-1B
04-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Olyphant's top 3 vehicles in terms of Awesomeness:
1) Deadwood
2) The Crazies
3) Justified

Olyphant's top 3 roles in terms of Sleaziness:
1) The Girl Next Door
2) Scream 2
3) TIE: Catch & Release / Live Free or Die Hard (since he was in both of them with Kevin Smith, kind of a bummer to hear Kevers say what a douche Olyphantastic was :( )

Hitman was a snore but other than that one, I always enjoy an Olyphant performance. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Olyphant's top 3 vehicles in terms of Awesomeness:
1) Deadwood
2) The Crazies
3) Justified

Olyphant's top 3 roles in terms of Sleaziness:
1) The Girl Next Door
2) Scream 2
3) TIE: Catch & Release / Live Free or Die Hard (since he was in both of them with Kevin Smith, kind of a bummer to hear Kevers say what a douche Olyphantastic was :( )

Hitman was a snore but other than that one, I always enjoy an Olyphant performance. :thumbsup:

I can't speak for The Crazies or Justified but wasn't Sheriff Bullock sleazy in Corpselumber?

2-1B
04-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Wellllllllllll, you do have a point. My response: He is a combo of awesome AND sleazy in Deadwood, so he makes the Awesome list first. And really, if we take it with the concept of relativity, can we really call him sleazy in Deadwood when we have Swearengen, Tolliver, etc to compare him too ??? Not even close.

He was awesome in The Crazies, he plays a sheriff (go figure) in Iowa (sounds about right) who is devoted to his friends and wife (where have we seen that before?). So yeah, even if you don't like that genre, one has to give him some praise for his performance in the film.

JimJamBonds
04-02-2010, 11:50 PM
So he's awesomely sleazy or sleazily awesome?

True he didn't get... ummm... "serviced" by a wh0re like Al did. But according to Mayor Farnum he and the widow Garret were "in rut."

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I've been really enjoying it, and was quite surprised. I hated Olyphant in Live Free & Die Hard, and not because he was the villain, but because he was an incredibly weak villain. I didn't think he could pull off a starring role, but he's been pretty great so far. I'm definitely keeping attuned to it, and wish it wasn't a new series so I could have a backlog of episodes to go through. It hasn't pulled off anything really amazing so far, but it's got some really well done character writing. Definitely like The Shield, but not attempting to be in your face.

I suppose it also helps that my hometown is easily relatable to the setting.Ditto. Great show, nice to have Elmore Leonard type conversation and behavior styles on TV.

Tycho
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
JT, you're watching Justified, too? Cool.

JediTricks
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, I set the DVR to record every episode when I saw it was based on an Elmore Leonard story, and every episode so far has been satisfying.

Tycho
04-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Satisfying is the key word here. I have not been disappointed and have been enticed to watch more with each episode.

So far, the show hasn't been anything spectacular, but it's never missed its mark either.

I've enjoyed the guest stars playing various numb-nuts criminals that he's been after each show. And the setting in Kentucky is quite refreshing in a way - since it's not LA, Miami, New York, or Chicago.

I'm not familiar with Elmore Leonard, though I imagine I'd like becoming acquainted with his work. I just don't have the time.

JediTricks
04-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I think you're selling it short, it's well above and beyond most cop shows, and is a decent western without reeking of modern ultra-"realism" and violence. Plus, it doesn't always have obvious motivations, that makes a big deal IMO, the Elmore Leonard style of characters who do or say something that's true to their character but not to the expected archetype.

OC47150
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
The little gay dude!

I rewound that scene a couple of times and laughed my butt off. Too funny.

During last night's show, it struck me: Gibbons is like a fish out of water. He'd be more comfortable in the 1870s Tombstone or Dodge City than the 21st century. He's a different, old-fashioned type of character.

JediTricks
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Man, that was a great episode. Each character had their own quirky logic which they they were driven by, and each got what made the most sense. Alan Ruck hasn't been this good since Ferris Bueller, and I was genuinely sorry to see his character die. This episode reminded me a lot of Get Shorty.

2-1B
04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I missed it...now I wish I didn't read about Alan Ruck. That's what I get for clicking this thread. :(

Tycho
04-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I loved this episode! JT is right about each character being really well developed with their own personality - even the guy who gave up his car to "the Dentist."

Yeah, Raylan reminds me of a modern-day Wyatt Earp. (Actually Earp lived into the first half of the 20th century and lived in Los Angeles and San Diego).

Anyway, "Justified" is another guest-actor's showcase show that really lets stars shine playing great characture roles.

JediTricks
04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I missed it...now I wish I didn't read about Alan Ruck. That's what I get for clicking this thread. :(Sorry Skip, didn't realize folks who miss the episode would still read the thread. I've avoided threads for a week after having that happen. It's a good episode none the less, "the journey" is what matters.

Tycho
04-23-2010, 03:21 AM
The tooth extraction that started that episode was great.

The interaction with his father in the latest episode was alright.

For a cool customer, he sure comes from an embarassingly white trash family.

I think that makes the character seem more real, though.

Walton Goggins (playing his old friend that he shot and put in prison) is putting on quite a good performance and somewhat distinguishing himself from his role as Shane on The Shield.

I also liked Raylan posing as a homeless gardener to get the drop on that fugitive that was hiding out in the trailer park home.

I like how we're starting to get under his skin and see what drives him a little more each show.

JediTricks
04-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Weird, you mention 2 episodes and neither were this week's.

This week's wasn't a "fun" episode, but I felt it was a good, albeit serious, episode that paid off well. I wasn't entirely feeling the one before it, that felt a little more straightforward, but it was ok. I really liked the end of this week's ep "The Collection" though, first it's that great part where Robert Picardo's art expert character makes his point which was fantastic, and then Raylan LEARNS something from it.

Tycho
04-23-2010, 11:06 PM
That's because I had to catch up on the 'ol DVR and hadn't been up-to-date with the show until now.

Funny, the episode with Robert Picardo (another one of his good performances) was forgettable next to the previous two.

In the interest of improving the show, I'd like to see a future episode where Raylan gets into bed with both his girlfriend and his hot ex-wife at the same time.

OC47150
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
In the interest of improving the show, I'd like to see a future episode where Raylan gets into bed with both his girlfriend and his hot ex-wife at the same time.

I wouldn't kick Winona out on a cold night! :yes:

I like Raylan and Ava's interaction, but it's just a little much. The show seems to flow better when Ava's not a major component to the storyline.

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 01:30 PM

You can take care of that "interest" on your own via the interwebs.

JediTricks
05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Justified has been renewed for a second season. Yay!

OC47150
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Great news! Now Raylin has more time to get back together with Winona! :thumbsup:

LTBasker
05-04-2010, 01:31 PM
It's weird to think this has only 7 episodes so far, since it already feels like it has more substance to it than a lot of shows that have been on multiple seasons. There hasn't been an episode that has felt wrong to me, and I think it's mostly because they have a unique balance of existing history and new material mixed into each episode.

They really seem to be in no hurry to divulge all minute details as so many shows do, which always relies on awkward and forced exposition. It feels like you can get in tune with each character properly, such as the Sheriff in the latest episode. He was kind of predictable, but you still felt bad that he actually chose that route.

JediTricks
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Totally agreed about the substance being far greater than most series ever get.

The 1 thing I didn't understand is how Raylan figured out it was the Sheriff so fast. Anyone get that?

The freeway chase drove me nuts because in the background you can see the Universal Studios executive tower building, and it's clearly the 170 in North Hollywood if you've ever driven there (nice light freeway, everybody drives like a maniac, very easy to get sucked into going 80 without noticing).

LTBasker
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
It was strange, but I'm thinking Boyd may have told him about his relative getting caught by "Miami," since it sounded like Sheriff Hunter had killed him awhile before this happened. I thought we would actually get a scene with Winona calling Rayland since she seemed to have a suspective reaction to Ava not waiting around. It seems a bit too sloppy for them to leave out, so I'm guessing they're going to have it come up later to tie into something else.

2-1B
05-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm digging it this week, with Dan Dority from Deadwood showing up as that hostage-taking inmate. :thumbsup:
"Can I take a dump, please?"

JimJamBonds
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm digging it this week, with Dan Dority from Deadwood showing up as that hostage-taking inmate. :thumbsup:
"Can I take a dump, please?"

What about the other text you sent me?

2-1B
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
What about the other text you sent me?

Hadn't happened yet, since I was posting and texting in real time. :)

JimJamBonds
05-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Hadn't happened yet, since I was posting and texting in real time. :)

Ohh... well why don't you let the rest of the SSG universe know. lol

OC47150
05-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Extra spicy fried chicken saves the day.

OC47150
05-06-2010, 09:10 PM
A little Justified news from Dark Horizons....

Walton Goggins' Boyd Crowder character will be upgraded to a series regular next season.

OC47150
05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Ten-gallon hat on a 20-gallon head. Great line.

Good ep. Next week's looks even better.

JediTricks
05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
A little Justified news from Dark Horizons....

Walton Goggins' Boyd Crowder character will be upgraded to a series regular next season.
I'm kinda annoyed by that turn of events. He seemed like a good character to visit once in a while at best, and I sorta wish they had just killed him in the opening episode and left us wanting more instead. It'll feel forced, I fear.

That 20-gallon head line was really awesome, I liked that episode overall but damn was it brutal and harsh.

OC47150
05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Raylan's prayer at the beginning was a hoot.

And speaking of a hoot, what about Stephen Root? What a character!

2-1B
05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Indeed, also I liked Johnny from Deadwood being in last night's show. lol

Did I see nipples in the background bull riding scene? I did a double take, was surprised to see that...unless it was my imagination. :confused:
I did hear the word "nudity" in the TVMA rating warning...weird.

OC47150
05-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Did I see nipples in the background bull riding scene? I did a double take, was surprised to see that...unless it was my imagination. :confused:
I did hear the word "nudity" in the TVMA rating warning...weird.

If you saw nipples, your eye sight is a lot better than mine! :razz:

When I think of nudity involved in an FX show, I'm thinking bare butt or something. That was a common sight on Sons of Anarchy.

2-1B
05-19-2010, 09:53 PM
the dancer might have had pasties or something...but it definitely looked like full boobage.

Tycho
05-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Great news! Now Raylin has more time to get back together with Winona! :thumbsup:

Wynona was hot in the last episode, but Ava is still so much more my type! :love:

That 3-way shoot-out at the loan shark's office was great!

JediTricks
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
the dancer might have had pasties or something...but it definitely looked like full boobage.
It was pasties.

The last 2 episodes have gotten me unhappy. It feels like the show has changed directions to be more FX-friendly, and they've added that Soap Opera feel where everybody has an important relationship to everybody just so we can have more of Arlo or Boyd or Winona, partly to justify keeping those actors on the payroll, and partly because it's what they think we want to see. I can't remember the last time Raylan just did something normal for the Marshal service, everything has to involve Ava or his dad or Boyd & Bo. I'm a little disappointed.

OC47150
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
What a body count!

Last night's ep had some of the cleverest dialogue I'd heard on TV in a while.

Regarding last week's ep: finally some Raylan-Winona action! :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I was entertained by the season finale, but it felt like a particularly stupid episode in regards to the actual plot. Bo Crowder is now more dangerous than the entire Corleone family and in the span of mere minutes at that! Boyd gets shot in the chest and "'tis but a flesh wound!" Raylan didn't wear his hat!

JediTricks
01-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Justified is returning on Feb 9th, and FX has this awesome 30-second spot which, I'll just say is of interest to the good folks on this very forum. Here is that ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVT0B3pPsa8

LTBasker
01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Awesome! Can't wait for it to return.

Tycho
02-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for posting that, JT. Yup. I can't wait for the return of Raylan and the gang from Justified. There were some Star Wars fans working on that script!

LTBasker
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Well that was a pretty good start for a new season, I'd actually like to try that apple pie moonshine.

JediTricks
02-10-2011, 04:38 PM
180-proof? No thanks! I enjoy not going blind.

It was a pretty good episode, but I didn't think the ending felt right at all, it stank of "we're building up a new story arc!!!" and it didn't help that the big baddie actress was a regular on a recently-canned FX series. Raylan took care of business without drawing and killing people, without even running his weapon, that was pretty slick. I did feel like the aspect with Deputy whatshername got lost though. But there were a few Raylan moments that felt spot-on.

OC47150
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't want to cross Mags.

Her shine was interesting.

I would've liked to seen the last 20 minutes of the previous ep again. The shootout in the cabin was interesting. Glad it was recapped in the first few minutes.

OC47150
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
I enjoyed Oly in the Crazies.

Dewey imitating Raylan was pretty good.

Good season so far.

JediTricks
02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I enjoyed Oly in the Crazies.

Dewey imitating Raylan was pretty good.

Good season so far.That was a good one, and I really dug it that almost everybody was hip to Dewey Crow's idiotic plan.

Phantom-like Menace
02-28-2011, 01:24 AM
When he bought the hat, for all of a second I wondered if he was going to do something as stupid as impersonating Raylan, but after that--since that clearly wouldn't happen, I figured he might just cut eye holes out of it and wear it as a mask. Apparently he was planning to do something as stupid as impersonating Raylan.

I also laughed that he thought to claim he was still acting as a deputized law enforcement officer. No chance of that working either, but it was smarter than trying to impersonate Raylan.

OC47150
03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Getting tazed in the nuts. Ouch!

Boy, Ma Bennett is a tough ole bitty!

Tycho
03-14-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm really enjoying this season of Justified. Yeah, the Bennets are something else. That little girl reminds me of the young lady in True Grit for sure.

OC47150
03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Oh, Winona, the trouble you've gotten yourself in to. Next week's ep looks really good.

JediTricks
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh man, this last episode was awesome! No Bennetts made for a better episode. Winona's foolishness twisted well in the episode without feeling convoluted. Raylan talking the smarter of the 2 baddies into surrendering despite having a seemingly more powerful hand, that was great how he just talked the kid into putting his hands up, no gunplay needed. But the highlight had to be Art doing field work and his awesome foot chase with the baddie of the week, that put a huge smile on my face with the choices he made, the dialogue, the way he figured it out, everything really was spot on, but especially the way the chase finished.

OC47150
03-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Every time I pass a Lincoln Continential on the road, I wonder if Raylan is behind the wheel. :yes:

Oh, Stephen Root in his drawers. He's always going to be Jimmy James and Bill from King of the Hill for me.

Part of me was like, is Raylan dumb enough call in a bomb threat to save Winona? I didn't think so. He does have morals.

OC47150
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Thought it was interesting that Carol wore torn jeans to Mags' party. Trying to blend in with the locals?

Coover had an expiration date tattooed on his forehead.

OC47150
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Missed the ep where Helen was killed but saw the latest.

Raylan already having his tombstone was a wake-up call for Winona.

The finale should be good.

OC47150
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Funny article.

http://news.yahoo.com/justified-talks-ky-police-improve-look-143916600.html

And Margo Martindale won an Emmy for her portrayal of Mags. Well deserved.

Tycho
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I liked her character. Mags was definitely different.

She add color and originality to television that is often absent of both. Then comes along Justified - and may of the other great cable network shows like Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy (and The Shield - not to be forgotten of course!)

Tycho
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Justified Season 3 has began.

I think Boyd went to prison on purpose as part of some plan he's hatching WITH Raylan.

Those two are up to something.

If they burn all that weed, it will be like setting a million-zilion Mouse Droids on fire.

I mean, they could get the whole county high all at once. That should be a funny episode.

But seriously, why don't they just throw a huge rave party and charge admission at the door?

Have a diversionary crime to get the what- 6 0r 7 sheriff deputies they have in that whole county - off doing something else. Raylan and the Marshals don't handle drug traffic typically. But I'm not sure what to do about the DEA.

OC47150
01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Ava's turned into Ma Barker.

For a second, I thought Mr. Miami would last longer than one ep.

OC47150
03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Ava's got some claws! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I can't help but laugh everytime I see David Andrews, the actor playing the Harlan sheriff. It's the haircut. He's been in a ton of other stuff, normally with a crew cut or something better than the bowl haircut.

OC47150
03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm truly surprised more Kentuckians aren't upset about their protrayal in Justified, especially these election-related eps. I'm just waiting for some politician to start a boycott.

JediTricks
03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
You know, it never occurred to me that Harlan was a real place, but it is! Harlan County and its seat is Harlan. The thing is, there's less than 2,000 people living there, either they're not very vocal, they have thick skins, or it really is the worst place on EARTH to live. :p My guess is the show takes tremendous liberties and it's nothing like that there. Singer Nick Lachey is from there, I can picture him playing one of the meth scumbags on the show. :p

Hopefully tonight we won't have to see Quarles' butt again, that was an ugly little surprise (nothing personal towards actor Neal McDonough, guy-butts are just gross in general).

LTBasker
03-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Last year a friend in Ohio was traveling to Kentucky, and since we're both fans of Justified I tried to get him to drive through Harlan. He didn't go for it. :p

In regard to what they must think... well, I live in a small Oklahoma town of about 20,000+/- and from the very first episode their depiction of Harlan feels very familiar to my own town. If it's that close with a town of 20,000, then, yeah, it's probably pretty close to accuracy with a town of 2,000. While the crime is probably plenty exaggerated, I can see probability in it even here given our own problems with meth.

JediTricks
03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
IMO, a city with 20,000 people would have crime more like what we're talking about than a city with just 2,000. A smaller town would have less opportunities and more internetworked personal connections which would affect how a criminal or a drug addict could survive outside the mainstream.

Anyway, last night's episode was... quite a thing. I liked some of it, but some of it felt like when you were a kid and you'd get all your GI Joes, Star Wars, Transformers, and He-Man figures together and just smash them into each other. And once again, not enough Raylan, not enough Art, and Tim & whatsherface can't seem to carry a storyline on their own.

LTBasker
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
You have a good point, but that is pretty much what they're showing. Everybody is connected to everybody else in some form or another, the only ones that have been truly separate entities have been the folks at Noble's Holler.

So, that was season 3... I'm not certain as to how I feel about that ending. I can't really figure out anything that was actually resolved, aside from Arlo's shenanigans finally leading him back to prison. Although, I did like the "man in the hat" thing, that was pretty subtle and powerful stuff. I've been kind of tired with Arlo, especially after tagging along as Boyd's lackey, but now it makes sense with him apparently considering Boyd more of his son than Raylan. I assume this is probably something that was always supposed to be there, in some form, but has only become more prominent as Arlo's dementia has set in.

Limehouse, I'm pretty sure, is the first villain/big boss to make it into a following season since Daddy Crowder was killed in season 1, then Mags in season 2. He's had some interesting moments throughout the season but overall he still comes off as a fairly weak character. It really doesn't help that his first scene was dedicated to immediately applying the villainous cookie cutter - he was only missing a scene in which to twirl a handlebar mustache. So, while I like that this season was supposed to serve as just developing him, they didn't quite do it right.

As for Quarles... I don't know. I'm pretty sure they didn't say whether he was dead or alive? It'd be difficult to imagine him living through surviving an explosion, getting shot, and bleeding out from being "disarmed." I can only imagine the lack of mention means he'll return, though, since this is a character where it'd be a sham(e) to go with an off-screen death. But, I would have rather seen him die and call it the end of that. He was very, very interesting and well-written for the most part. I loved how he seemed organize but it was generally just a bluff, making him pretty unpredictable until he finally had no leverage whatsoever. However, he didn't really accomplish anything through the season that makes me want to see more of him.

In fact, they really seemed shy about killing one off this season, as best evidenced by Dickie Bennett getting to the finale with only a shot to the leg. He was really kind of a pointless addition through the season, so I had hoped to see him get killed off. In fact, he definitely should've been shot dead when he went after Loretta. Very weird and surprising that the only person to get killed off was the state cop, which I guess they figured we would have had something of a connection to the character by now but I was pretty baffled by the significance outside of a cop getting killed. It seems like they could've done a little more to really make it tragic since it just came off as a means to do the hat connection. Which, again, was nice in its subtlety, but still a bit on the weak side - especially since I don't even recall Raylan wearing his hat through the first half of the season.

So, overall, it wasn't a bad season but it wasn't a great season. It was something of a filler season, I suppose, with everything just kind of wrapping up without a huge mess (aside from Limehouse's floor) and hopefully it's leading to some better stuff with the next one. Most likely the stolen money from the Marshall's evidence locker will come into play since they didn't anything with that in these final episodes.

OC47150
04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't think we've seen the last of Limehouse either, LT. He'll be back.

I thought the stand-alone eps were good. Quarles was a good bad guy. He was refined.

Arlo being the scapegoat/fall guy...well, I don't know. It was an easy out for his character.

OC47150
05-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Was shopping at Meijer the other day and noticed there was a Justified hardback for sale. It's called 'Raylan.'

LTBasker
05-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Neat, how big was it? IIRC, there's supposed to be around three books plus a short story which the show is based on, or multiple short stories?

OC47150
05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
200 pages, give or take. I'll see it again in the next few days and get more details.

Tycho
05-14-2012, 05:38 AM
I finally caught up with the show. I record it to me in my friend watch it together. The disarming was awesome. Yeah Quarrels was interesting. Mags was the best villain so far

OC47150
01-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Woke up this morning thinking, hot diggity damn, I've got Justified to watch! Good ep. A lot of setup for this season in the first ep.

Patton Oswald's Gremlin police car! What a hoot!

Tycho
01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Probably going to catch up on Justified and Vegas on Friday or Saturday. The Rizzo House Mafia daughter is a babe on that one! Just like my Davina character (though brunette not blonde) in my novel I'm writing. I'd aimed for the movies, but man you could get a lot of cable seasons out of my own Mafia family story!

So I enjoy watching these shows with my buddies Amanda and David and to save time, we watch it later before starting our weekends. So they're recorded and I saw snipits of both shows and they looked great.

I have watch parties for Walking Dead with this crowd as well - but I often cheat and have to watch it immediately, LOL.

I'll get like that as the season comes down to the wire and I can't wait to see what happens next.

OC - we always watch the exact same shows!

Incidentally, Hell on Wheels got a 3rd season and with Lilly dead, this is a friggin HUGE step for the show. Maybe they got the balls because they weren't sure if they were being cancelled? But so many cast members got killed 2nd season that your jaw was on the floor! Cullen Bohannon will be out for blood 3rd season (not that he wasn't killing everybody the first 2 years...)

And I can't wait for Copper to come back. Kevin's found his wife, but that's messed up (not going to spoil it if you haven't watched this one about an 1864 Civil War era Irish cop (BBC - returns in fall I think). But his friend the black doctor is going to get lynched for beating the hell out of the white pseudo-pharmacist and Wilkes Booth is going to set things in place for the assasination of President Lincoln after the Confederates failed to blow up New York (and a lot of this is true history!)

JediTricks
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
For me, this episode didn't hold up. Raylan's story was interesting to watch up until he got resolution on the thieves, then his story went downhill fast into becoming king of the Kentucky Hot Messes. Raylan's story was only a third of this episode though, and the rest weren't stories on their own, only little pieces, fragments of foundations for several barely-connected storylines.

LTBasker
01-09-2013, 03:29 PM
It seemed surprisingly filler-y for a season premiere, but it was an enjoyable episode. Seems like Raylan should know better by now about leaving things in his trunk, though. I was a little confused when the episode started, a dead body showing up in some strange and randomy way at some point several years earlier? Definitely thought it may have been a CSI episode. Very weird route to go.

Few points...
- Patton Oswalt was a mostly enjoyable addition, but he recently overstayed his welcome on Burn Notice and I don't want to see the same happen here. In fairness, it's not so much himself and was more an error on part of the Burn Notice writers who copy & pasted his role four episodes in a row.

- Timmy from Jurassic Park is grown up and preaching in the woods with a creepy sidekick - and a snake in hand. That was just weird, but it will be interesting to see where this goes. I'm sure there's going to be some connection to Boyd's former backwoods conversion retreat.

- Arlo was a worthwhile addition for once. I've grown very annoyed with him as a general character, especially over season three, and wasn't too joyed to see him again so soon. But, he was more about serious actions than being a bitter old codger for once, and I like that angle to him much better.

- Boyd's new partner seems like he should be a lot more interesting to have around than the usual hillbilly redshirts (...rednecks? :D) that Boyd gets surrounded with.

JediTricks
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
I should say that I did find it watchable on a TV level, it just didn't hold up for me to the show's prior standards.

In the world of Elmore Leonard, everybody puts and leaves everybody in car trunks.

On Burn Notice, they made his character too whiny and gave him nothing to do, no personal emotional resources to fall back on, that's fine for a single shot character but 3 or 4 episodes? No. Here, he's pathetic and pretty much the same thing only worse since he's bumbling again and whiny, but now he's only a wannabe. If they continue the character, he's going to need to be more useful.

LTBasker
01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
The wannabe angle at least limits the reasons as to why he would come in use. After Patton's second Burn Notice episode I couldn't buy that he was supposed to be some amazing smuggler that could do practically anything, so the character became all the more grating after that. I kept waiting for a twist reveal that he wasn't the real smuggler.

One thing I forgot to note that was kind of surprising was their blatantly showing off an Airsoft gas blowback being used for a prop. Raylan threatens his future trunk inhabitant with his Glock 26 backup, but the pistol is shown very clearly throughout the shot and we can see that it lacks any Glock trademarks whatsoever on its slide. I know this has become common practice because, IIRC, you don't have to have an armorer on set when you're only dealing with Airsoft props, but it was unexpected that they wouldn't use different angles to hide the lack of trademarks.

JediTricks
01-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I fully agree about his second pass in Burn Notice, it totally undermined the idea that he could be the best smuggler around. The first episode he's got less pitfalls and more resources so it's easier to buy, but the more they expanded the character the less plausible it became.

Wow, I didn't notice that Airsoft at all, good eye, I would have liked to have seen that but I think I deleted the episode off my DVR as soon as I watched it.

LTBasker
01-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Fortunately someone posted a really good screencap on an Airsoft board - http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/versus_terminus/Re-hosting/800px-JustS4E01_03_zps8bf86f8b.jpg :D

OC47150
01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Probably going to catch up on Justified and Vegas on Friday or Saturday. The Rizzo House Mafia daughter is a babe on that one! Just like my Davina character (though brunette not blonde) in my novel I'm writing. I'd aimed for the movies, but man you could get a lot of cable seasons out of my own Mafia family story!

OC - we always watch the exact same shows!

Incidentally, Hell on Wheels got a 3rd season and with Lilly dead, this is a friggin HUGE step for the show. Maybe they got the balls because they weren't sure if they were being cancelled? But so many cast members got killed 2nd season that your jaw was on the floor! Cullen Bohannon will be out for blood 3rd season (not that he wasn't killing everybody the first 2 years...)

I agree with you about Miss Rizzo. Grrr. Nice to see Jason O'Mara on a hit show for once.

Hell on Wheels is going to be interesting. Even though the lovely Lilly is gone, I'll still have to tune in. I predict more Indian and gov't interference this season.

JediTricks
01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Fortunately someone posted a really good screencap on an Airsoft board - http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/versus_terminus/Re-hosting/800px-JustS4E01_03_zps8bf86f8b.jpg :DHuh, that's pretty funny. It actually looks better than the majority of Glock Airsofts (which, I might add, seem to have lettering on them the same as the actual Glock), I wonder if they modified one in the prop department a bit to get it looking better, or maybe filled in lettering to avoid trademark issues.

OC47150
01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
For what it's worth, my mother-in-law is a retired social worker, and she dealt with folks from the hills of Kentucky. During her career she never heard of the gov't check being referred to as the draw.

OC47150
01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't know what was funnier: Alvin and his tasteful boudouir photos or Ellie Mae's see-thru panties hanging on a hook next to a can of Spaghetti Os.

I'm thinking Ava tipped Ellie Mae off to her possible demise and that's why EM fled. The look of surprise on Ava's when Boyd was on the phone with Colton about offing EM makes me believe that.

JediTricks
02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I had to wait until Monday morning to catch that episode, DVR had a glitch and couldn't access the last 40 minutes of the episode. I think Ellie Mae just bolted, Ava was willing to kill her herself before. I suspect Colton is an undercover cop now and that's why he was having trouble with all this.

OC47150
02-07-2013, 05:35 PM
My Ellie Mae theory is shot.

OC47150
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Well, so much for the cute lady bounty hunter. : (

I guess every male redneck over the age of 60 in Harlan could be Drew Thompson. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out the rest of the season.

JediTricks
02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
This episode did nothing for me, lots of killin' and whatnot, but it felt inauthentic and one-dimensional.

OC47150
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Since you brought it up, this whole season has felt odd. The previous seasons have been extremely strong, and at the start of this season I knew it would be difficult to top the writing and acting and storyline of last seasons. I've wondered if the Drew Thompson mystery is strong enough to carry the entire season.

JediTricks
02-21-2013, 05:03 PM
It's not, they have done a very poor job keeping the reason for finding Drew Thompson in the storyline. I still don't remember why they're after him at this point - something about some drugs and a sack and a guy thrown out of his own plane or something, totally immaterial. The problem with this season is that there isn't a regular life for any of our main characters driving them, we don't see any more marshals service stuff, we don't have a major baddie, we don't even have regular Harlan life anymore, it's a train wreck held together only by the strength of the actors and the attachment we have to the characters.

OC47150
02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
I hope I shot the right guy. That line and the Dairy Queen franchise line had me.

And Patton Oswalt is back next week with an AK!

JediTricks
02-27-2013, 10:07 PM
"Jeez, I hope I got that right" - you're damn right you better hope that, Raylan! :D Great moment, very good episode, quite different from everything else this season (except that it still was Boyd-heavy, he even got a big scene after the shootout, kinda bugged me how much he's taken over this show).

OC47150
02-28-2013, 01:08 PM
FX has been very good to Walter Goggins. Ten years (?) on the channel.

A friend of mine shared an interesting theory of who he thinks Drew Thompson is: Sheriff Shelby. I hadn't considered it until he brought it up. We'll know (right?) next week.

JediTricks
03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Shelby is definitely Drew Thompson, he's the right age, his timeline fits (barely, he has to have healed and gotten on the Harlan police force within months) and he asks about Thompson's widow including her location. Plus there's essentially nobody else left to make a passable twist ending. :p

Tycho
03-04-2013, 03:11 AM
That the sheriff is Drew is an interesting theory. I've been wondering if Arlo could be?

JediTricks
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
That the sheriff is Drew is an interesting theory. I've been wondering if Arlo could be?It cannot be Arlo, Drew Thompson landed in Harlan 30 years prior, Raylan has known his father - in Harlan - his whole life of 40-something years.

Tycho
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Accurate point.

Oh man did they miss the opportunity for a mind-f then.

If the "landing" in Harlan had occurred just before Raylan was born....

Man that would be a wild way to use the Arlo character! He'd be the last person Raylan suspected, too. But it would profoundly change what Raylan had assumed about his family's history and origins.

On his mother's side, he could still have that backwoods hollow heritage that serves him well in this environment though. And the "I knew your grand-daddy lines" would still apply - on his mother's side.

As a writer, I'd make this play. But that's just me.

OC47150
03-06-2013, 12:19 PM
The mystery is solved! Now let's watch it play out to the bitter end.

Constable Bob with the AK was good.

JediTricks
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Bob with the AK-74U, a stubby ineffective gun for a stubby ineffective constable. :p

Yeah, the "mystery" is "solved" officially, now they need to A) remind us why the mystery matters to our heroes, and B) Get Drew (the title of next week's episode and a clear homage to Elmore Leonard's "Get Shorty").

Overall a pretty good episode, a lot of solid character moments, I especially liked Hunter not using the keys Shelby gave him and staying put rather than escaping - showed a bit of character nuance not doing the stupid predictable generic TV crap. Tim is gonna deliver some pain onto Colton.

OC47150
03-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Wow, the show is now hitting its stride with only three eps left. Makes the eps with the bartender and her ex-husband/boxer just look like a distraction, as if the writers didn't know what to do this season.

Gonna see some shootin' next week.

And I know this sounds bad, but I really want to see Colt get his. He's not a nice character.

JediTricks
03-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Wow, the show is now hitting its stride with only three eps left. Makes the eps with the bartender and her ex-husband/boxer just look like a distraction, as if the writers didn't know what to do this season. Great point, I had forgotten all about that plotline, that thing just evaporated entirely. I do get the feeling these writers don't know what to do, and even this Drew Thompson plotline is kinda winging it. Last week's episode was strong, but this week's felt like a lot of contrivances without backing drama.

Gonna see some shootin' next week.

And I know this sounds bad, but I really want to see Colt get his. He's not a nice character.The show has set it up so Tim is going to deliver some justice unto Colton.

OC47150
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Solid ep. Slowly building to an interesting conclusion.

Old Constable Bob! Give him props for stabbing Yolo in the leg. If Bob hadn't shot him, Yolo would've bled out.

Gotta love the sharp, clever writing on this show. Tim's conversation with Colton on the radio is a great example.

JediTricks
03-21-2013, 04:21 PM
One of the best episodes of the series, and easily the best episode of the season. Great dialogue driven from real characters makes a big difference, but also having real characters make decisions based on who they are makes a big difference as well. Raylan arguing with Boyd over which astronaut came to the school was fun. Tim and Art bickering about which one was supposed to throw the Molotov cocktail was a hoot. "Drewbacca" is a must for this site.

I was surprised they didn't have Yolo bleed out, Bob clearly got him in the femoral artery and he was struggling, he would have bled out in maybe 2 minutes, the gunshot seemed unlikely and unnecessary, but at least it added a feeling of "what happened" to the moment.

The solution to getting Drew out of town was great, they have trains in the opening credits and yet they haven't played a real part on the show until now, so it feels authentic that they've become a way of life but not a positive one and thus not seen as a feasible way out by anybody until now.

Yeah, there were a few clunky parts - why didn't Tim and the gang just drive perpendicular to the road? It was a big open field and a gentle hill off to the right. Would a mob really hunt federal officers so openly just to get a single guy? And why were there a bunch of Marshals at the end but they didn't bring them in sooner? But none of that actually hurt watching the episode too much, it was a good episode that got beyond these issues by doing what worked so well.

OC47150
03-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Renewed for season 5.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26631/fx-renews-justified-spins-off-network

Haven't seen this week's ep yet. Think I had too many programs recording on the DVR and Justified got bumped.

OC47150
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Spent two hours this morning watching Justified. Very satisfied with how the season ended. More so than with the Walking Dead. One more appearance of Constable Bob would've made it great.

'I'm suspended.' Great line.

JediTricks, the bottle used for the Molotov cocktail is a locally produced KY soda: Ale 8 One. I think it's bottled in Winchester. Worked with someone 20+ years ago who grew up on it and had to bring back a supply to Louisville whenever she visited family. Don't know how recognizable is it out of my area, but I noticed it. Nice little touch by the producers.

JediTricks
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Ha! That's awesome about the bottle. Funny that they trucked it out to Los Angeles to shoot the scene, very slick.

I really enjoyed the ending episode, it really felt like an Elmore Leonard story, starting with big violence and then lots of Raylan being angry and making deals with the devil, giving Nicky 1 chance knowing he won't take it. The only parts that felt off to me were Cassie showing up out of the blue for the bust, and Ava kicking the lackey out of the van to destroy the body alone. Everything else was deliberate and driven, ending in Raylan fixing up his family home and staring at his gravestone sitting next to his father's freshly dug plot.

OC47150
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
I thought the season came full circle: it started at Arlo's house (with the copper stealing) and ended at Arlo's.

Have a feeling that a lot of next season's focus will be on Ava's court issue.

JediTricks
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Definitely, and it ended with Raylan patching the holes made from stealing the copper even. But what does that say about Raylan, the angry man?

OC47150
04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
The song in the final few minutes summed it up: you don't leave Harlan County.

Tycho
05-04-2013, 02:45 AM
I have to say I can't believe Arlo is going to be gone?!

He was a fun character and a way to really show part of why Raylan tries so hard to distinguish himself as a different man from his father.

Arlo was so necessary in Raylan's character development.

OC47151
01-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Our favorite marshal is back for another season. Some interesting characters and plots and subplots were introduced in the firs ep. Nice to see Jere Burns upgraded to a regular. He plays sleazy good.

Loved the comparison of Detroit to Iraq by Boyd.

OC47151
01-15-2014, 07:13 AM
After watching this week's ep, I realize how disjointed the premiere episode was. This week's ep was a big improvement. I realize last week's ep was setting up the season but there was just too much stuff going on. This week's streamlined it. It just flowed smoother.

Little Loretta's growin' up! And the nut hasn't fallen too far from the tree.

Gotta love Jere Burns. He always has the constipated pinched weasel expression on his face.

OC47151
01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?

OC47151
03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Anyone else think this is a jumbled-up season? Kinda like a ship without a rudder? I've enjoyed it but there's no real direction.

JediTricks
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Very much so. There's so much focus on Boyd and now Ava that there's barely any time for Raylan, and what little there is doesn't really go anywhere. Ava's story is so damned boring and disconnected and convoluted that last night I finally just fast-forwarded through her scenes. Boyd's stuff in Mexico is also very disconnected, and it's just a jumbled mess - he's a huge kingpin but he's got just a few guys. Kinda hating watching this once-great show go to pot.

OC47151
03-07-2014, 07:29 AM
The Florida rednecks could be substituted for any other Kentucky rednecks but their dysfunctional ways are interesting to watch.

Ava's storyline is just there. It has to be addressed but how? Keep her in jail.

A fellow watcher complained about the lack of interaction from Tim and Rachel this season. Very underused characters.

OC47151
03-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Couldn't think of a better actor than Eric Roberts to play a maverick DEA agent.

Every time I see AJ Buckley on Justified, I think, boy he's nothing like his clean-cut character on CSI: NY.

OC47151
03-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Gotta love the dysfunctional Crowes. They put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

And the way Danny went out. Kinda funny.

The Ava storyline is starting to pick up.

OC47151
04-02-2014, 02:58 PM
I almost hurt myself laughing so hard when Dewey asked the old lady if he could come in and use the bathroom. I'm laughing right now thinking about it.

OC47151
04-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I think the cable company decided to reset everything in the middle of the night, when I was recording Justified so I only caught the last half-hour or so. Need to wait for OnDemand to see the first part.

Kinda sucks.

JediTricks
04-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I think the cable company decided to reset everything in the middle of the night, when I was recording Justified so I only caught the last half-hour or so. Need to wait for OnDemand to see the first part.

Kinda sucks.You missed only 1 good scene then, Raylan and Kendal. The rest was pretty much filler.

OC47151
04-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Still haven't checked OnDemand. Maybe in the next day or so.

Tycho
04-13-2014, 01:24 PM
I haven't been reading this thread because my buddy and I just started watching this season.

I'm coming back to participate as soon as I'm caught up.

I've only watched the 1st episode so far.

Really cool that they took the show to Miami again AND Detroit!

New locations freshen up the show. I watched "Next of Kin" with Patrick Swayze, Liam Neeson, Helen Hunt, more stars which made me long for more Justified.

If you like Justified, you'll love Next of Kin (1988 I think). The movie's not really dated and could take place today save for older cars and the absence of cell phones or cordless phones (though there WERE cordless phones in the 80's)

Meanwhile, the gators and fanboats on Justified reminded me of exactly what I wrote in my novel (set in Louisiana not Florida). Really cool to see how that looks.

Raylan's afraid of his wife. Wonder if they'll keep him married (or at least faithful)? I doubt it. It's presented as a hero stereotype to be desired by so many women.

$300,000 and Dooey's put in a kiddie pool? Okaaaaay. Great character.

Where's the black girl and the sniper buddy that play the two younger marshalls that Raylan partners with?

Tycho
04-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I've completed the season.

Best season ever!

Women-in-prison! Oh yeah! I actually found Ava's storyline the most interesting.

I'll read everyone's comments later and come back and join the discussion.