PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A New Darth Vader TIE Fighter?

Tycho
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case A New Darth Vader TIE Fighter from ANH).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy A New Darth Vader TIE Fighter from ANH?

This poll's for BigBarada as I know he wants one.

If you want this vehicle made as well, I think you should describe how you envision it.

The 1997 mold is still shipping, repackaged in the Clone Wars brand, and available on the shelves at some stores right now. This poll is not for a re-release.

If I were to buy a Darth Vader TIE fighter ever again (as I'm quite happy with the current version) I need those Ben Burt signature sound effects: the fly-by and the laser cannons.

Additionally, they could add Vader's voice - "Stay on the leader!" and "I have you now!" - plus maybe the wingman's voice: "Watch out!" and a spin-off and crash sound.

Green LED lighted lasers? Sure -maybe. Or some kind of green lights that aren't too expensive I guess. And maybe directional indicator lights, too?

I really don't know if this is necessary myself, and I'd love to see these features on a fleet-builder TIE first (regular TIE, or interceptor), but here we are.

ANH has run out of all ideas for new polls save for the last one which I will run in about 2 weeks. So any poll suggestions for ANH vehicles would be welcome, as well.

So do you want Darth Vader's TIE re-made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

El Chuxter
04-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Nope. The existing one isn't perfect, but I don't want a replacement.

DarkJedi5
04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes! This is one of the few ANH vehicles left that needs a redo. The old one isn't bad but it could be one hundred times better. I'd easily pay $40 without a figure (please God, not another Vader). Not at all into lights and sounds but it would probably help spice up a toy every kid already has cause it's been releaseed a million and one times.

bigbarada
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
No, I have no interest in this vehicle, the POTF2 version was perfect as it is.

Aprils Fools! Of course I would buy a new version! I bought the POTF2 one in 1997 and hated it so much that I gave it to my nephews almost immediately. I've been waiting for 13 years now for Hasbro to remake the ship and give it the accuracy and detail it deserves.

As I described in another thread, my main beef with the current mold is the screwed up proportions, lack of detail and poorly concealed action features. If it would help the vehicle sell better, then Hasbro should put in some kind of lights and sound effects.

Seriously, this vehicle is much more deserving of a complete redo than the Slave 1.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Eh, no, the old one suits me fine.

El Chuxter
04-01-2010, 06:59 PM
It might be a good idea, if it's re-released again, to fill in the weird cannons and get rid of the action feature. However, that thing has been released, what, twelve times now?

TheDarthVader
04-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, of course.

Snowtrooper
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Although I'm satisfied with the old one, I'd buy a new one if it was packed with electronics they way Tycho described. Its a proven seller too, at least around these parts.

morpheus282
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Get rid of the cannons and missile launchers, give the cockpit a redo comparable of the new TIEs we saw around Christmas, and I'd buy it. Electronics really aren't necessary to me, just address the shortcomings of the existing mold and I'll buy it.

On a semi-related note, I ditched my 1997 Vader's TIE sometime around 2001, then ended up re-buying it last year for my daughter. I was amazed that they haven't changed a thing on the mold down to the color of the paint.

Darth Jax
04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
we've seen what they can do with the improvements to the TIE (now if they'd just put them all together in blue, gray and white definitive versions), so I'd actually get an improved TIE Advanced. Another re-release I don't need.

LTBasker
04-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I think I would probably buy a new version, actually. The current one is decent, but with all the updates to the regular TIE Fighter it's a shame to see this one get left behind.

The problems stem from the rather simple cockpit, the lackluster features with the cheesy pop-out cannons and the wings are floppy. At least they had always been on my POTF2 version; I've never bought a rerelease of it. As well, like the Snowspeeder, it actually seems slightly larger than it should be, and the mold's various sections are easily distinguishable. Going through picture archives of the rereleases, it doesn't look like they've ever managed to hide the middle seam where the body's halves come together. It's simply outdated, and being Vader's TIE, it should have some new respect given to it.

I highly doubt it would have any trouble selling.

Darth Metalmute
04-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I have been so dis-satisfied with all of Darth Vaders TIE Fighter releases that even if they made a perfect version, I would probably overlook it and not pick it up.

It's needed, it's wanted, but they have flooded the market with not-up-to-par versions of this ship that it has turned people off.

So in a cryptic answer, Yes - they need one, Yes - I want one, No - I wouldn't buy it.

TheDarthVader
04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
So in a cryptic answer, Yes - they need one, Yes - I want one, No - I wouldn't buy it.

If you want one, why wouldn't you buy it? That is a bizarre answer. I think if you saw an improved version sitting there on the shelf with new features, sound, and different paint then you would buy it.

I would like to see one with gray paint. I have never really liked the blue.

mtriv73
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd buy it, but I'd rather have a TIE defender

Darth Metalmute
04-02-2010, 10:29 PM
If you want one, why wouldn't you buy it? That is a bizarre answer. I think if you saw an improved version sitting there on the shelf with new features, sound, and different paint then you would buy it.

I would like to see one with gray paint. I have never really liked the blue.

I know it's a weird answer, but that's just how I feel. I believe they need to make one that is the right color, that looks exactly like the movie version, and that has actual action features. But as far as buying it, I think I would pass unless I had a coupon or a deal. I guess I'd rather see them get to other ships that they haven't done yet, rather than redo a ship that it seems gets re-released every year. And I think thats also part of it, I still see the last Vader TIE fighter sitting on shelves. Over-saturation.

DarkArtist
04-03-2010, 01:39 PM
again the only way i would shell out money on a new TIE Fighter mold, whether regular, interceptor, bomber, or Vader's would be if they added the fly-by sound effects as well as laser cannon sound effects...

now if they were to develop and release a 3.75" TIE Defender then I would drop the $75 for it immediately no questions asked....i absolutely love the Defender....same holds true for the Imperial Landing Craft.

so I'd vote No on a new DV TIE

Tycho
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
A Darth Vader TIE Fighter resculpt wins by 10-3, showing there's definitely demand for this craft amongst our regulars here.

The Space Outlaw
04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I'd buy it if they made it as screen-accurate as possible, and with Darth's TIE it's in that "just right" scale where they don't really have to deform it to make it work. Give me the new cockpit, chin cannons, and canopy of the new TIEs with a fresh set of wings, no ridiculous cannons or missiles, and maybe a sliding compartment for Vader's lightsaber--and color it correctly--and the price could even theoretically stay in the $20-$25 vehicle range. I'd buy that, absolutely.

bigbarada
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
now if they were to develop and release a 3.75" TIE Defender then I would drop the $75 for it immediately no questions asked....i absolutely love the Defender...

Yeah, the TIE Defender is one of the few EU-exclusive vehicles that I would consider buying. I'm still tempted to buy the Lego version, and I don't even collect the Lego sets.

DarkArtist
04-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, the TIE Defender is one of the few EU-exclusive vehicles that I would consider buying. I'm still tempted to buy the Lego version, and I don't even collect the Lego sets.

I'm in the same boat BigB...everytime I'm in the store I stare at the Lego TIE Defender saying next time it's coming home with me and each time I pass. hopefully I'll add this one over the Summer to my collection.