PDA

View Full Version : 6.9 Earthquake by SoCal / San Diego on Easter Sunday

Tycho
04-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey guys: what's shakin'? :D

Everything's fine. We're all fine down here. How are you?

I had a lot of my collectibles fall over but it doesn't appear anything was damaged.

The depth of the quake was pretty deep in the earth, so it cushioned the effects of the quake.

I was playing as the Padres against the Dodgers in the 7th in a 2-1 ballgame with 2 of my runners on when this had to happen.

Taking emergency action - I paused the game before I evacuated.

I think what happened in Hati has everyone scared as a lot of people ran out of my building.

I can evacuate really quick. But I didn't grab my cats and throw them in their carrier as I always thought I would to save them. So I'm sort of disappointed in myself for that one.

TeeEye7
04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
USGS upgraded it to a 7.2.

Glad you are OK, Tycho. I just heard from a cousin who lives in SD. His reaction was: "WHEEEEEE!" Ain't we Californians predictable?

morpheus282
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's been a lot more quakes lately?

Maradona
04-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I was in Walnut, CA when it struck and it shook quite a bit.

Old Fossil
04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear all y'all are okay out there.

I know. Almost as if Momma's not happy with us.:(

Warped
04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm glad to hear you are ok.

JediTricks
04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I was in a restaurant with some of my family. I noticed the room rolling and thought I was having a dizzy spell, put my hand to my head and then realized others were feeling it too. It rolled for a LONG time, probably a minute, then it changed the waveform direction of rolling and went for another 30 seconds or so. The motion was so big in a way that it actually made my mother and me a little nauseated, which is the first time a quake has done that to either of us.

Everybody was talking about it, most folks thought it went so long and rolled so much (it wasn't violent, but it really moved in a subtle way) that it had to be pretty close by, I jumped on my phone's internet going right to the USGS quake site for the SoCal/Nevada map and when I saw that big red square just below the border, I was stunned. Everybody around who heard me was gasping and chattering after hearing me report it was a 7 (the quakes are on the map in squares, the larger the square, the bigger the quake).

I am glad to hear you guys down in SD are ok, Josh. It looks like SD was actually more bothered by the quake than the epicenter in Baja, Mexico. My guess is the flat and sparse layout, coupled with the single-level dwellings made it less of a problem than an urban area with higher buildings. Apparently, 5,000 on our side of the border lost power, that'd be the end of your Wii game if that was the case Josh, maybe you should invest in a battery backup. ;)

BTW, that quake's depth wasn't particularly deep, I think. 14km is a modest depth for a quake.

Tycho
04-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I heard it was 20 km deep or so. That could be wrong. You know how those reports go.

Fortunately, when my Galactic Heroes fell off their shelves, none were damaged. They lost no articulation ;)

How's your collections? You folks in LA?

Setting your stuff up all over again can be a pain in the butt.

I ended up going 19 innings with the Dodgers - no joke. I pitched all my bullpen and even the Padres' starters to hold them off! I wound up losing 3-2 grrrrrrr. Casey Blake hit a solo homerun off Chris Young or one of my other starters. I think I should have taken another break from the game after going 18 innings with L.A.

Needless to say, I was NOT going to save that game. I don't want the pain burned into my Padres' record. :mad:

In any case, when I replay that game, I know exactly how to use all my pitchers and my pinch hitters and not to let my pitchers' arms tire by letting any of them go more than 2 innings against the Dodgers.

Both teams left 11 runners stranded each, but they barely had more hits than my Padres did - something like 18 versus 16. Like I said, the Dodgers won by hitting a solo homerun.

Meanwhile, besides the earth, that was my fist shaking at L.A.!

El Chuxter
04-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I was in SD today, too, though about a half hour north of where Tycho lives. (My sister-in-law just moved back to Rancho Bernardo.) We definitely felt it, and it left a few hanging picture frames askew, but no damage. Got home, and there wasn't even a single poorly-balanced Star Wars figure toppled.

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 01:35 AM
USGS has been reporting a depth of no deeper than 14km all day, now I'm seeing 10km after they raised it from 6.9 to 7.2. Probably because the epicenter was in another country.

I had nothing fall down.

mtriv73
04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I had nothing fall down.

Those Earthquake-proof suspenders were worth the money then.

I'm glad everyone's okay and I'm really glad we don't have to deal with earthquakes in Maryland (at least so far in my lifetime.)

bigbarada
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Well, we're approaching the 200th anniversary of the New Madrid earthquakes from 1811 and 1812, so I think we're due for another big one here in the US.

Tycho
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Two more shook me awake at 4:30 am and 6:30 am respectively.

They were quick and probably a lot weaker tremblers, but my display cases were rattling and I got up and got dressed to evacuate. They were real enough and several of my neighbors said they felt them too.

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Those Earthquake-proof suspenders were worth the money then.Wah wah! Annyway, I forgot that the last significant earthquake that knocked down some figures about 20 months ago frustrated me so much I left them down, so anything that was going to fall from a medium quake already did.

They were quick and probably a lot weaker tremblers, but my display cases were rattling and I got up and got dressed to evacuate. They were real enough and several of my neighbors said they felt them too.Ouch, that sucks. The map has a ton of quakes down there still going off even: http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latest.htm

BTW, I used to have trouble with this too, so here's a clarification: "tremors" and "temblors" are separate words with similar meanings. Temblor is spanish for shaking, in english it only refers to earthquakes.

Ando
04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry to post so late, but I I'm truly glad to hear everyone here is okay.

It's been a few years since we've had an earthquake up here in Portland, and it was a little one.

bobafrett
04-06-2010, 09:15 AM

They were quick and probably a lot weaker tremblers, but my display cases were rattling and I got up and got dressed to evacuate. They were real enough and several of my neighbors said they felt them too.

I fell over getting to my cell phone, as Josh texted me about the quakes. I was in bed when I got his first text.

Glad everything is okay.

Tycho
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Hope I didn't cause an out-of-state injury, Barry.

Alpha 315
04-06-2010, 04:18 PM
The only one I remember in Alabama was in last 2001 (might have been early 2002). It was a big one, maybe a 5-6. That seems small, but it's big to me.

Glad you guys are all right down there!

bobafrett
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Hope I didn't cause an out-of-state injury, Barry.

Nope, I'm just naturelly clumsy! :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I was on the phone with JediTricks at 2:15am this morning when a 4.3 hit very briefly.

We've had a week of earthquakes here in SoCal now.

I think Indiana Jones better return the Crystal Skull. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 03:51 PM
The funny thing is, within 40 minutes over a dozen more quakes between 1s and a 3.7 hit, but you only felt that 4.4.