PDA

View Full Version : Another new cartoon in the works?

El Chuxter
04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Forgive my skepticism about the new project. It sounds like it could be pretty funny for a stand-alone episode, maybe even a miniseries. But an ongoing series spoofing Star Wars? I've got some real concerns about how long it could go on without scraping the barrel. (Figure in that the dudes behind Robot Chicken are on, and every 15-minute episode of Robot Chicken really has about two minutes worth of funny, and I'm even more apprehensive. True, those two minutes are hysterical, but sometimes not enough to make up for the other thirteen unfunny minutes.)

I'm not against this; it just sounds like a cash-in that will run out of steam much, much sooner than the folks behind it actually realize it's dead. Or, worse, a distraction to get everyone's attention off the live-action show that still seems to be in limbo.

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I think Variety got April Fooled into this, someone changed all their calendars and they thought it was the 1st today: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017233.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=verttv

Otherwise, yikes.

2-1B
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
What part of the saga will it occur during?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
The Official Site (http://www.starwars.com/fans/media/newseries_announcement/index.html) has the full scoop:

Untitled Animated Star Wars Project Will Explore the Universe from a New Perspective, Blending Wry Comedy and Irreverent Fun

Lucasfilm Animation is currently developing an all-new animated Star Wars series, focusing its efforts on the comedic aspects of the "galaxy far, far away." Featuring creative involvement from Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, creators and executive producers of the Emmy and Annie Award-winning Robot Chicken, as well as writing from The Daily Show's Brendan Hay, the series will look at the Saga's characters with a playful and irreverent tone. The series will be produced by Daytime Emmy and Gemini Award-winner Jennifer Hill (The Backyardigans), and directed by Emmy-nominated Todd Grimes (Back at the Barnyard).

"There are so many stories taking place in the Star Wars universe, and they don't all have to focus on the fate of the galaxy," said Grimes. "We're looking at Star Wars from a new perspective; this will be a glimpse at how the rest of the galaxy is affected by the events of the Saga. There's a lot of humor to be mined from that."

"The Star Wars universe is so dense and rich; it's crazy to think that there aren't normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined," said Green. "And it's even crazier to think of what those problems might be, since it's all set in a galaxy far, far away. What do these characters do when they're not overthrowing Empires?"

Said Senreich, "We're going to pull back the curtain of some of those behind-the-scenes shenanigans. It's going to appeal to all ages, the way Star Wars should -- but there'll be plenty buried under the surface, as well. As Obi-Wan might say, 'it all depends on your point of view'."
Hmm. I'm really not sure what to think about this. If it turns out like the Robot Chicken or Family Guy parodies, then it'll be great. But, as Chux said, they could run out of steam really quick. The fact that it has involvement from Green, Senreich, and a Daily Show guy is good; the fact that it has involvement from the Back to the Barnyard guy leaves me unsettled. George Lucas confirmed a second animated series as well as the live-action series a few months ago, so I guess it's not too surprising. There have been rumors the past few months that it might be a Galactic Heroes-type of deal, like Super Hero Squad. I know I'll watch, but I have a sinking feeling it'll be a lot like Droids and Ewoks.

El Chuxter
04-06-2010, 12:42 AM
The fact that it has involvement from Green, Senreich, and a Daily Show guy is good; the fact that it has involvement from the Back to the Barnyard guy leaves me unsettled.

I'm more concerned about the Backyardigans lady, even if she is "only" a producer. That show kills brain cells dead. Even if Robot Chicken doesn't have the best laugh/crap ratio, Seth Green is at least usually funny.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm more concerned about the Backyardigans lady, even if she is "only" a producer. That show kills brain cells dead. Even if Robot Chicken doesn't have the best laugh/crap ratio, Seth Green is at least usually funny.
Oh, wait, crap . . . the name rang a bell but I didn't remember what it was until I just looked it up. I don't know much about that show but it looks very kiddie, but even bad for that audience. Damn. I'm as excited for this show as Chux was (and is) about Clone Wars. :D

Rocketboy
04-06-2010, 02:14 AM
F I've got some real concerns about how long it could go on without scraping the barrel.Kinda like they did in Robot Chicken Star Wars 2?

JediTricks
04-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Kinda like they did in Robot Chicken Star Wars 2?
That is exactly what I was going to say. Hell, even Family Guy ESB was pretty mediocre, but Robot Chicken SW 2 was abysmally flat and forced (pun NOT intended). This barrel is already quite wrecked.

2-1B
04-06-2010, 07:10 AM
They should just do a show called Gungans, to complete the Trilogy with Droids and Ewoks.

JimJamBonds
04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
They should just do a show called Gungans, to complete the Trilogy with Droids and Ewoks.

How about a series with Teek as the star?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
More info from Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017263.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=verttv):

Use the farce, Luke
Lucasfilm gears up a new 'Star Wars' toon
By DAVID S. COHEN

"Let us assure you this isn't going to suck as much as you think it is."

That was Seth Green's message to "Star Wars" fans following Lucasfilm's Monday announcement it is developing an animated "Star Wars" sitcom.

The show is in early development and Green, creative consultant on the project along with fellow Robot Chicken creator/exec producer Matt Senreich, admitted the announcement was made only to quash rampant rumors: "We're trying to get ahead of it and say what it's not."Jennifer Hill, a Daytime Emmy winner for "The Backyardigans" who is producing for Lucasfilm, told Daily Variety the pair "will be shaping the type of comedy we're looking for and the look of the show."

Green promised: "We can't guarantee its excellence, but we're swinging by the fences."

Skein will not be a sketch comedy show like "Robot Chicken," and it's not a spoof. Senreich said it will be a story comedy and "character driven." It may include crossover appearances from the movie characters. But Hill said no crossovers with the hit "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" series are planned.

Hill told Daily Variety the length of the episodes have not been decided, but they will be no longer than half-hours. No network or start date has been set for the laffer. Todd Grimes ("Back at the Barnyard") will direct. Brendan Hay ("The Daily Show") will be the head writer and Lucasfilm expects to hire a staff of up to 10 more writers.

The animation will be done outside the U.S., at a studio to be determined -- but not necessarily at Lucasfilm Animation Singapore.

"Robot Chicken" has aired officially sanctioned spoofs of "Star Wars," as has "Family Guy." But while the first "Star Wars" movie won legions of fans with its mix of humor and adventure, Lucasfilm has had spotty results seeking laughs with the rest of the franchise -- most notoriously with the character of Jar-Jar Binks in "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace."

But Senreich promised, "We're on the same page as the fans, because we are fans." Green concurred: "We're not talking about Jar-Jar electrocuting his tongue. It's not that kind of humor. If George (Lucas) would have wanted to make that version of 'Star Wars,' he would have hired other people to do it."

One early reaction suggests even skeptical fans may be willing to give the project the benefit of the doubt.

Among the most vocal critics of the later "Star Wars" efforts have been the makers of docu "The People vs. George Lucas." But writer-director Alexandre Philippe told Daily Variety, the new series "is a great example of how 'Star Wars' is still able to connect with fans old and new, and we're looking forward to seeing it."

"Clone Wars" has been a success on Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm has long been in development with a live-action "Star Wars" series. But that too has yet to set a start date or begin casting.

Nonetheless, "Star Wars" remains a formidable franchise. During its 30-plus years it has spawned merchandise, videogames and spin-off series and has earned more than $22 billion, according to a 2007 report by Forbes.

(Liz Stinson contributed to this report.)

I like how they're already doing damage control a day after the show was announced. :p

mabudonicus
04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
It's got nothing on the FU, they should have given me a call
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Oyes, the FU is a rich tapestry

Droid
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
To me this just kind of smacks of Lucas seeing someone else tapping into something with the fans and him redoing it like it was all his idea, except bigger and likely making more money. The micro Clone Wars series was pretty popular and from what I understand not really Lucas driven. So then he does his own bigger Clone Wars cartoon. People liked the Robot Chicken and Star Wars stuff so he takes that and says lets make something bigger.

I am kind of picturing Futurama except in the Star Wars universe. I don't get how they'll mine all the possible humor they would like though because they have to pick a point in time which limits the characters or events you can reference.

Once again, the narrative for a time was that Lucas had all these ideas that he wanted to do, but like Al Pacino Star Wars just kept dragging him back in. So he finishes Episode III and is finally free to do all these ideas he's had for decades, many of which wouldn't be terribly commercial, and which he might even do at a loss because no one would want to see them. So we've had Indy IV, the Clone Wars TV show, a promised live action Star Wars TV show, and now a Star Wars comedy show.