PDA

View Full Version : "The Walking Dead" coming to AMC!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Robert Kirkman's comic, "The Walking Dead" is going to be on AMC as a series. This has serious potential to be all kinds of awesome.

Here is the casting info so far: http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=9249

With Darabont behind this and with AMC willing to take risks, I have high hopes for this show. :thumbsup:

DarkArtist
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
this could be a really cool show.. i read the comics and enjoyed them. just hope they stay true to the books and not go off on a tangent or arc storyline line.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2010, 06:13 PM
this could be a really cool show.. i read the comics and enjoyed them. just hope they stay true to the books and not go off on a tangent or arc storyline line.

Kirkman said in a recent issue that it will remain true to the comic, but might add in some new stuff, but not change anything drastically. He seemed pretty excited about it.

More casting news: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/05/05/the-walking-dead-tv-series-cast-2/

:thumbsup:

2-1B
05-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Laurie Holden, nice. :)

RooJay
05-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Hmm...I like me some Laurie Holden, and I'm not going to pretend that I think they should stick closely to the story from the comics, but she's quite a bit older than I would want my Andrea to be. Maybe Darabont thought audiences would find Andrea's relationship with Dale too creepy in live action without making the character older?

By the way, Walking Dead is just about the best (non-superhero) comic ever, and I am so jazzed for this thing!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Interview with Darabont and pics of zombies, which, I'm telling you folks, look STELLAR. seriously, These zombies look terrific.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=66740

I read/heard that AMC only wants the show to watch the language, but as for gore and violence, anything goes.

Bah! so excited!! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
First production photo! These zombies look top notch!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102374-first-production-photo-from-walking-dead

:thumbsup:

RooJay
06-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Awesome! I even know exactly which zombie that is even! She's the one Rick finds alongside the road right after he leaves the hospital. The one that tried to grab him, but could barely move! I like where this is going!

UKWildcat
06-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I've never read any of the comics, but I'm totally stoked about this show. Should be awesome! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
06-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I've got the first trade and and I love it, great story.
I really need to order more (and finish off the last 3 trades of Y: The Last Man).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Loads of links to share!

Pic of Kirkman and Rick Grimes and a zombie! http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102928-three-more-photos-from-the-walking-dead

Brandon Routh joins the cast! http://geektyrant.com/news/2010/4/12/brandon-routh-joins-the-cast-of-the-walking-dead.html

more set photos! http://geektyrant.com/news/2010/6/17/set-photos-from-amcs-the-walking-dead-zombies.html

and Michael Rooker joined the cast too, but I can't find the link right now.

This show is looking to be a zombie fans wet dream. lol

bigbarada
06-29-2010, 08:19 PM
I've never heard of the comic, but.... a TV series about zombies? That is just all kind of AWESOME! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a latecomer to the zombie-genre (the first zombie movie I ever watched was Shawn of the Dead - and that's the one that made me a fan), but now I just can't seem to get enough of it; so I'm really excited about this. Even though I don't have cable so I'll just have to wait for the DVD releases.

Rocketboy
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I've never heard of the comic, but.... a TV series about zombies? That is just all kind of AWESOME! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Even though I've only read the first trade, the comic is really good. Picking up at least a few more trades before the show debuts is pretty high on my buy list.

But based on the stills they've released, it looks like they'll be pretty faithful.

The only downside to this series is that the first season will only be 6 episodes.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Finally, the trailer in regular quality!!! http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27977

Can't wait for Halloween! :thumbsup:

Maradona
08-25-2010, 12:04 AM
On Saturday, I read the first compendium, issues 1-48, in one 10-hour shot. That comic is extremely compelling and intense. I don't know how it will run on television, given that there are some diabolical turns in the series eventually, but it will hopefully play out well.

bigbarada
08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Finally, the trailer in regular quality!!! http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27977

Can't wait for Halloween! :thumbsup:

Okay, now I definitely need to get my cable TV hooked up again before October. :thumbsup:

OC47150
08-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Looks good. Can't wait.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Picked up a 24 X 36 reprint of the SDCC exclusive poster. The original one is way too pricey and elusive and this reprint works just fine. I took a pic of it pre-faming/trimming edges.

OC47150
09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
AMC showed two commericals during last night's Rubicon. Nothing revealing; teasers would be better to describe them.

OC47150
09-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Cool poster.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/09/the-walking-dead-first-look-poster-is-beautifully-bleak.html

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Some fantastic fan-made opening credits. Seriously, so awesome.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/51380881.html

DarthQuack
10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Just started reading the comic....really enjoying it!

sith_killer_99
10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, the first episode was awesome!

Rocketboy
11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes it was.

Well made and well acted, with nice, creepy zombies.
It stuck to the basic plot of the comic with a few minor changes.

Should be a great season/series.

El Chuxter
11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Okay, how to phrase this without sounding way too negative?

I HATE zombies. If I had my way, any zombie fiction would be destroyed. If I had a time machine, I'd go back in time, find the dude in the Caribbean who came up with the idea, and kick him in the nads until one of us dies of boredom or old age.

So I didn't much care to watch this show. However, it appears that no one on Earth had anything bad to say about it. Was it good enough to make it be worthwhile for one as immune to zombie hype as myself to watch it?

sith_killer_99
11-01-2010, 01:32 PM
However, it appears that no one on Earth had anything bad to say about it. Was it good enough to make it be worthwhile for one as immune to zombie hype as myself to watch it?

No, it is not good enough for you and never will be, so please do not watch, lest someone actually have something bad to say about this awesome show!

:p

Rocketboy
11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Okay, how to phrase this without sounding way too negative?

I HATE zombies. If I had my way, any zombie fiction would be destroyed. If I had a time machine, I'd go back in time, find the dude in the Caribbean who came up with the idea, and kick him in the nads until one of us dies of boredom or old age.

So I didn't much care to watch this show. However, it appears that no one on Earth had anything bad to say about it. Was it good enough to make it be worthwhile for one as immune to zombie hype as myself to watch it?Shut it, fool! When done right, Zombies are f*cking awesome.

The Walking Dead (book/series), World War Z (book), Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (book), Zombieland, 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead are zombies done right.
Anything Marvel and DC have done with zombies has sucked. Same goes with anything direct-to-dvd or SyFy Channel related.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
*ahem* the 28 days Later creatures are NOT zombies. :p

I've been meaning to watch this, but still haven't. We had a busy Halloween weekend and were in bed by 9:30 that night. It's still on the DVR; I just need to find a nice evening to enjoy it! I'm hearing nothing but good things though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Finally watched it tonight and loved every minute of it. Despite the fact that I've been reading the comics since the series began, i was on the edge of my seat, especially during the stairway scene. And that scene where Rick was tracking down that zombie in the park and Morgan was trying to shoot his wife was gut wrenching. Seriously, just brutal. I felt so freakin' sympathetic towards that park zombie; I dunno why, but something in its eyes said alot. Glad Rick put it out of its misery.

What will suck for me is watching the series and knowing the fate of characters that I'll grow to like in the show itself.

jonthejedi
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Never read the graphic novels...but had the utmost faith in Frank Darabont(Shawshank Redemption)...his finale to The Mist still haunts me, and Stephen King said it was a better ending than the novella had. I have high hopes for this mini-series. The Pilot ep. was incredible.

RooJay
11-05-2010, 05:41 AM
I think there will be just enough difference to keep things interesting, with a few surprise changes here and there. For instance, I note that it doesn't seem we'll be seeing anything of Allen and Donna and their twins in the show, so there're already a few fairly large narative changes that will come about form that. Sucks we likely won't get to see the later craziness involving little Billy and Ben play out in live action because of it, though! Maybe too...intense for AMC?

jonthejedi
11-05-2010, 06:01 AM
From what I heard Darabont say in an interview...AMC has imposed no restrictions on the production...especially on the bloodletting.

bigbarada
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I bought the Season Pass for this show on iTunes yesterday, because I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of getting cable hooked up at my house and then pay an extra $50 a month just for this one show. So I'll get each new episode automatically downloaded into my iTunes account as they become available. Plus bonus content, the motion comic, etc. Pretty good for only $16. :thumbsup:

Now I just have to worry about hard drive space to store all these episodes. I'm also assuming that there's going to be a 1 or 2 day delay from when each episode premieres and when it becomes available on iTunes. Still, it will be cool to be able to watch segments of each episode on my iPod during breaks at work.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the first episode, even though I had pretty much seen most of it just from watching all the behind the scenes and previews over the last month or so. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

RooJay
11-06-2010, 05:02 AM
From what I heard Darabont say in an interview...AMC has imposed no restrictions on the production...especially on the bloodletting.

I've heard this too, and it's clearly evident after having watched the first episode. was speaking more of the intensity of that storyline and the fact that it involved children, though, rather than the gore; of which, I remember there being little if any in the comics.

2-1B
11-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Michael Rooker !!!!! :thumbsup:

And dropping n-bombs, to boot. :dis:

jonthejedi
11-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Atlanta Burning...good to see the Rookster back.

2-1B
11-08-2010, 07:13 AM
I loved the disguises they used, fantastic! :grin:

Rocketboy
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm liking the deviations from the original story. It helps keep the readers in suspense!
And the little things, like the "disguises," were a nice touch to keep.

At the very least, they should have left Michael Rooker some chocolate-covered pretzels.

bigbarada
11-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm liking this show a lot. You definitely find yourself rooting for the human characters, unlike many of the other zombie movies where you can't wait until the undead start "thinning the herd." I don't think I want to see any of these characters get killed. Except maybe Michael Rooker's character; but I have a feeling he's not going to go away that easily.

Anyways, I've never read the comic book and I probably won't until at least after the first season is over. I may even wait longer than that. I have a feeling this show is building to something big and I don't want to have that spoiled.

BTW, the second episode wasn't available for download on iTunes until this morning, so I'm assuming there is going to be a half-day delay for every episode. I'll have to remind myself to not check this thread on Sunday nights.

OC47150
11-08-2010, 08:50 PM
It's about white meat and dark meat. Great line.

The disguises were cool. I had a feeling, with the sky darkening, it would rain.

2-1B
11-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Renewed for a second season, so that's cool.

JEDIpartner
11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I think the quality will remain high as long as they keep the seasons short. I've still yet to watch the second episode, but the premiere episode seriously rocked and was not just fluff and about gore. It actually had some great drama and emotion. LOVED IT!!!!

Maradona
11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
The show has set up a very distinct unfolding of events from the comic. The first storyline could have been told in a 2 hour pilot. Instead, it seems that the tv series is dedicating at least the first season to it, maybe more with all the expansion. At this pace, it might take 10 seasons to reach where the comic is now.

Not that I would mind 10 seasons of this, but actors, unlike comic characters, age quickly.

jonthejedi
11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
2nd episode was equally powerful...Darabont wrote, but didn't direct. If any of you haven't seen The Mist...it's got the same tone. It's Stephen KIng, but obviously it's character driven. And Darabont directed it...the DVD also has the film in B&W...quite effective, too.

JEDIpartner
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
2nd episode was equally powerful...Darabont wrote, but didn't direct. If any of you haven't seen The Mist...it's got the same tone. It's Stephen KIng, but obviously it's character driven. And Darabont directed it...the DVD also has the film in B&W...quite effective, too.

I thought The Mist was quite good until they cheaped out the ending. That was horrible!!!!

bigbarada
11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
I thought The Mist was quite good until they cheaped out the ending. That was horrible!!!!

Yeah, the ending killed that movie for me.

Rocketboy
11-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Yeah, the ending killed that movie for me.*rimshot!*

2-1B
11-10-2010, 07:57 AM
What's wrong with the ending to The Mist ?????
Stephen King planted the seeds for it in the novella...I thought it was fitting.

JEDIpartner
11-10-2010, 04:44 PM
The ending of the original story was bleaker. I thought it was cheap the way they didn't "go there" with what King had originally written.

OC47150
11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Micahel Rooker's pre-opening credit rant was Emmy-worthy.

Another good ep. Hate to see this season end in another couple of eps.

sith_killer_99
11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Micahel Rooker's pre-opening credit rant was Emmy-worthy.

Another good ep. Hate to see this season end in another couple of eps.

Abso-frickin-lutly!

Rocketboy
11-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it's hard to believe we're already half way through the season. :(

But this was a damn good episode. Rooker on the roof was great, as was the reunion between Rick and his family - both were very powerful scenes.

Tycho
11-16-2010, 12:32 AM
My friend showed me this show and I freaked and kept my gun on me for the next 12 hours! :rolleyes:

Now I might just start watching it. I've seen the first 2 episodes but obviously took it too seriously and didn't watch the third one.

However, I think I'm interested in catching up.

RooJay
11-16-2010, 04:04 AM
I've been following the book almost from the beginning, so naturally I was very excited about this show from the get-go. I have only a small nit to pick with the television series so far. At first, I thought some of the characters from the book were being left out in order to keep the cast to a minimum, but now that Rick has caught up with the rest of the survivors, I realize this must not be the case. It seems that this group is actually quite a bit larger than the initial cast in the comics. Granted, some of this seems to have been done for the sake of greater ethnic diversity, but I'm thinking they could have just changed the race of some of Kirkman's original characters. Again, this is just a small issue to me since the new characters do mean more surprise than I would otherwise might have experienced had the story been kept closer to the source material. I suspect more of these characters will eventually grow on me as the story moves along. Though I do also suspect a major die-off of characters before this season ends...

Tycho
11-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Speaking of returning from the dead..... "HI ROOJAY!" :)

Nice to see you on the boards. It's been a while.

RooJay
11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey dude, what's up?! I still post almost daily, though (excepting weekends usually.) You must be just missing my posts.

sith_killer_99
11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
My friend showed me this show and I freaked and kept my gun on me for the next 12 hours! :rolleyes:

Now I might just start watching it. I've seen the first 2 episodes but obviously took it too seriously and didn't watch the third one.

However, I think I'm interested in catching up.

It's really not that different from BSG. Are zombies real, no, are cylons real, no. Is the story awesome, yes, is the character development great, yes.

Is "The Walking Dead" as good as BSG was, NO :laugh:, but it's still worth watching IMO. :D

bigbarada
11-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Is "The Walking Dead" as good as BSG was, NO :laugh:, but it's still worth watching IMO. :D

I think I watched one episode of BSG, but had no real interest in it. Something about the writing or the characters themselves just didn't click with me and I never bothered to watch any more of it. But then I've never been much of a fan of modern sci-fi. I guess for me science fiction died when they cancelled Star Trek: TNG.

Tycho
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek ever!

However, anyone here trying to get into it for their first time has to overcome that the set-up took the first TWO WHOLE COMPLETE SEASONS :rolleyes:

but it is worth it to meet and really get to know the characters before The Dominion War begins (primarily seasons 4-7 of Deep Space Nine, but actually started in Season 3).

sith_killer_99
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM

However, anyone here trying to get into it for their first time has to overcome that the set-up took the first TWO WHOLE COMPLETE SEASONS :rolleyes:

but it is worth it to meet and really get to know the characters before The Dominion War begins (primarily seasons 4-7 of Deep Space Nine, but actually started in Season 3).

This.

Though the slow start almost killed the show and had fans talking trash for a long time, it turned into one of the best shows of the series.:yes:

bigbarada
11-16-2010, 10:06 PM

Huh, I actually stopped watching that show right around season 3. I remember the Dominion thing starting up and when they first got the Defiant starship; but then I went into 16 weeks of training for the Army and never bothered to watch the show again after I got back. I guess I'll have to go back and check out the last few seasons. I wonder if they are on YouTube somewhere?

sith_killer_99
11-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Huh, I actually stopped watching that show right around season 3. I remember the Dominion thing starting up and when they first got the Defiant starship; but then I went into 16 weeks of training for the Army and never bothered to watch the show again after I got back. I guess I'll have to go back and check out the last few seasons. I wonder if they are on YouTube somewhere?

Yeah man, you suffered through all the bad stuff and never even got the reward of seeing it all come together and pay off. Wow, that sucks. DS9 got so much better after season 3. IMHO.

Tycho
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Yup. Deep Space Nine had nearly 4 years of war shows. It's the most-accessable Star Trek for Star Wars fans, but:

The first 2 years of the show are both important - and challenging to get through.

Do not restart Deep Space Nine from the beginning expecting to start enjoying a "war series." Watch it as a drama about "day-to-day life" in an outer space colony.

Do not worry. It will become the most severe Star Trek "war series" as things start to really make like a roller-coaster from season 3 on (especially season 4 on until the huge battles at the very end).

I would say that the first 2 seasons are still important to start with. There are all kinds of clues of what is to come in the early shows. DS9 was planned out from the beginning.

The USS Defiant is the coolest ship in all of Star Trek. It is the franchises' Millennium Falcon - with a cloaking device!

Rocketboy
11-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Anyway, back to the zombies...

RooJay
11-17-2010, 03:53 AM
For those fans of both Star Trek and zombies - IDW is doing some Star Trek vs. Zombies comics soon. In fact, all of their comics are going with a zombie theme starting in January - Star Trek, GI Joe, Transformers, and Ghostbusters.

bigbarada
11-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah man, you suffered through all the bad stuff and never even got the reward of seeing it all come together and pay off. Wow, that sucks. DS9 got so much better after season 3. IMHO.

Yup. Deep Space Nine had nearly 4 years of war shows. It's the most-accessable Star Trek for Star Wars fans, but:

The first 2 years of the show are both important - and challenging to get through.

Do not restart Deep Space Nine from the beginning expecting to start enjoying a "war series." Watch it as a drama about "day-to-day life" in an outer space colony.

Do not worry. It will become the most severe Star Trek "war series" as things start to really make like a roller-coaster from season 3 on (especially season 4 on until the huge battles at the very end).

I would say that the first 2 seasons are still important to start with. There are all kinds of clues of what is to come in the early shows. DS9 was planned out from the beginning.

The USS Defiant is the coolest ship in all of Star Trek. It is the franchises' Millennium Falcon - with a cloaking device!

Okay, you guys convinced me to make an effort watch the later seasons of DS9. I do remember really getting into the last seasons of Voyager and TNG never really took off until season 3, so I guess Star Trek is a "slow starter" by nature.

I remember really liking the Defiant when it made it's debut and I really wanted a toy made of that ship. I actually owned the Playmates DS9 toy and most of the action figures from the series.

For those fans of both Star Trek and zombies - IDW is doing some Star Trek vs. Zombies comics soon. In fact, all of their comics are going with a zombie theme starting in January - Star Trek, GI Joe, Transformers, and Ghostbusters.

To be 100% honest, I hate it when they do this (although I think it would be a good fit for Ghostbusters). The whole Zombie Stormtrooper thing for Star Wars is pretty much the entire franchise "jumping the shark," IMO. If there has been anything that has made me want to renounce my Star Wars fandom, that has been it.

I love zombie stories, but I feel that they only work when set in the modern, everyday world. Once you start introducing super-heroes or spaceships, then it just becomes ridiculous.

El Chuxter
11-17-2010, 10:58 AM
It's actually some sort of massive crossover that involves zombies fighting Star Trek, Transformers, GIJoe, and Ghostbusters, and have lasting ramifications in all the series. As a fan of their Joe series (and, until recently, their Transformers series), I'm officially worried about some major shark-jumping.

Edit: Somehow, RJ, I missed the second sentence of your post. Not sure how I did that.

bigbarada
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
It's actually some sort of massive crossover that involves zombies fighting Star Trek, Transformers, GIJoe, and Ghostbusters, and have lasting ramifications in all the series. As a fan of their Joe series (and, until recently, their Transformers series), I'm officially worried about some major shark-jumping.

Edit: Somehow, RJ, I missed the second sentence of your post. Not sure how I did that.

It's the mass media equivalent of "I'm going to throw all of my toys in the sandbox and play with them all at once." Which is great when you're 10 and actually playing in a sandbox. But I don't need to pay for that kind of thing and I definitely don't need my intelligence insulted by having such blatant "cashing-in on the latest fad" marketing masquerade as creativity. Especially since the stories that I could imagine for my own personal zombie apocalypse would be 10 times more enjoyable to me than anything that this kind of "crossover event" could ever come up with.

RooJay
11-18-2010, 05:30 AM
I've been waiting a long time for the Joe team to go up against zombies, and in fact, I'd love to see this play out in toy form as well (Toxo-Zombies were never good enough for me.) Hoenstly, I wouldn't worry too much about shark jumping - it's only temporary, takes place in a separate mini-series, and they have several GI Joe books with separate storylines that won't be affected at all. One could always simply not partake, and then one would never even know it had happened.
I love zombies, always have, and I fail to see them as a trend. In the past fifteen or so years at least, there has scarcely been a year gone by that at least one zombie movie, comic, game or novel hasn't been released. Even figuring non-film projects, I actually think it's been far steadier than that. There have simply been more zombies in popular culture lately that have garnered mainstream attention due largely, in my opinion, to the outstanding quality of the specific material - World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide, The Walking Dead comics and now television show, the Resident Evil games, etc.. I can understand if zombies are not one's thing, but again, it's pretty simple to just look the other way. I've done it for years with professional wrestling, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Yu-Gi Oh, manga, and other assorted miscellaneous imported asian junk, reality television, Battlestar Galactica, World of Warcraft, etc.. I don't lament these things, and I especially don't seek out forums regarding them and explain my distaste simply because they're just not on my radar, and it's far easier to just ignore them. I'm not knocking anyone's tastes or opinions - I just don't care for those things, and so don't go out of my way to comment on them.

JimJamBonds
11-18-2010, 07:27 AM

Deep Space Soap Opera the best Trek? It just never floated my boat, personally my favorite (has always been) TNG.

Maradona
11-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Agreed. DS9 had some of the more poignant moments in the canon. It was the last completely great Star Trek series. Voyager and Enterprise never fulfilled their potential for me.

OC47150
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
That was a 'Wild Bunch' moment when Grimes and the boys were gearing up to get Glenn back.

The zombie attack on the camp was great. I won't miss the abusive daddy but the hot chick, yes.

bigbarada
11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
So, who would buy a "Merle's Hand" prop replica? :D

For several parts of this episode I got so caught up in the characters' lives that I forgot what kind of show this was. Then the last few minutes reminded me with a shocking intensity.

I can't believe I'm the most upset that the girl isn't going to get to see the dolphin necklace that her sister got her. :sad:

Of course it's going to be interesting to see how they deal with what will definitely become a reanimated corpse. The characters could sit around and discuss it for several minutes until someone finally shoots her in the head, like EVERY OTHER zombie story I've ever watched; but I'm hoping that they continue to surprise me and do something unexpected.

Maradona
11-26-2010, 12:22 PM
This show is so well done, going much more in depth than I foresaw. It's sad to think the season ends in 2 episodes. I doubt we'll have to wait until next fall for more episodes and think the second season will start airing in time for summer.

OC47150
11-28-2010, 05:19 PM
This show is so well done, going much more in depth than I foresaw. It's sad to think the season ends in 2 episodes. I doubt we'll have to wait until next fall for more episodes and think the second season will start airing in time for summer.

I have a sneaking feeling that AMC will wait until next fall until season 2. Roll it out with the Halloween movies, like they did this year. FX has done it successfully with Sons of Anarchy, and USA and TNT has done it well, too.

Phantom-like Menace
11-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Rick really needs to take the gun away from Blondie. That's twice now he's she's aimed it at him for--as far as I'm concerned--no damned reason.

If I ever write a zombie story, I'm going to do something no one seems to ever have heard of: not write a character who gets bitten and tries not to tell anyone.

I think I'd be trying real quick to learn how to drive a tank. An M1 Abrams? You don't even have to aim for the head. As long as you hit the zombie, you hit the head. And none of that zombies-breaking-into-the-window crap. As cool as it would be to drive around in a Challenger I got for free, an MBT trumps that in spades.

Rocketboy
11-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Marathon: AMC will be airing the first 5 episodes before the finale on Sunday!

bigbarada
12-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I think I'd be trying real quick to learn how to drive a tank. An M1 Abrams? You don't even have to aim for the head. As long as you hit the zombie, you hit the head. And none of that zombies-breaking-into-the-window crap. As cool as it would be to drive around in a Challenger I got for free, an MBT trumps that in spades.

Except that gas mileage for tanks is usually measured in gallons to the mile, not miles to the gallon, making them extremely inefficient for long range travel. Even the most fuel efficient tank engines still only get about 0.6 miles to the gallon.

The M-1 Abrams tank consumes roughly 300 gallons of gas every 8 hours of constant operation. So given the limited resources that would most likely follow a zombie apocalypse, that tank would turn into a tomb very quickly.

Anyways, it sucks that there is only one more episode left for this season, but I really hope that they continue on with the show in the spring and not wait until next fall. It's been a while since I've been this involved in any TV show.

Slicker
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
The M-1 Abrams tank consumes roughly 300 gallons of gas every 8 hours of constant operation. So given the limited resources that would most likely follow a zombie apocalypse, that tank would turn into a tomb very quickly.

And the fact that it uses a turbine engine (nearly the same as used on helos) it's one of the WORST gas mileage MBT's. (Main Battle Tanks).

Rocketboy
12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Besides, a tank isn't something you just hop behind the wheel and start driving.

bigbarada
12-01-2010, 11:43 PM
And the fact that it uses a turbine engine (nearly the same as used on helos) it's one of the WORST gas mileage MBT's. (Main Battle Tanks).

That's why they have entire units in the Army whose only function is to load the M-1s onto massive tractor-trailers (called Super HETs) and drive them to the battlefield. Who said the Army wasn't efficient? :cross-eye

Besides, a tank isn't something you just hop behind the wheel and start driving.

Actually, most track vehicles have a very simple control scheme. Two levers: the right lever controls the tracks on the right side of the vehicle and the left lever controls the tracks on the left side. Push the right lever forward and the tracks on the right side begin to move (causing the tank to turn left). Push the left lever forward and the tracks on the left side begin to move (turning the tank to the right). Push both levers forward and both sets of tracks move simultaneously, propelling the tank forward. Pull both levers back, the tank stops. It takes about 30 seconds to figure out, but driving to the store without leaving a trail of death and carnage behind you will take a bit of practice.:)

However, I believe many modern tanks use a car-like steering wheel instead of levers, but they are still amazingly easy to drive (not necessarily easy to drive safely, but still easy to drive).

Phantom-like Menace
12-02-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm not even kind of worried about fuel economy. Hell, lack of comfort alone would disuade me from making an Abrams my daily driver in the Apocalypse well before consideration of fuel economy. I'm thinking less endurance driving and more commanding depleted uranium judgment to smite my zombie enemies when I have the opportunity.

bigbarada
12-02-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm not even kind of worried about fuel economy. Hell, lack of comfort alone would disuade me from making an Abrams my daily driver in the Apocalypse well before consideration of fuel economy. I'm thinking less endurance driving and more commanding depleted uranium judgment to smite my zombie enemies when I have the opportunity.

Well, if you only got a couple of miles out into the country before running out of gas, then I think fuel economy would be foremost on your mind as you pondered the 2-mile, zombie-filled walk back into town to find a new vehicle. If you even made it back to the city at all, then that Prius would be looking pretty tempting. :D

OC47150
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Details, details.

Rocketboy
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Slashfilm.com (http://www.slashfilm.com/tv-bits-dexter-sixth-burn-notice-prequel-walking-dead-writers-fired-alcatraz-kevin-williamson/) is reporting that the writing staff has been fired and season 2 will be scripted by freelancers.

Finally, there’s weird news about The Walking Dead. The entire season one writing staff has been let go, and the second season will be written by freelancers. Producer Frank Darabont dropped the axe, and it’s an interesting move, since he’s written, co-written or rewritten each of the first-season episodes. There is no shortage of commentary about whether this movie (http://www.slashfilm.com/tv-bits-dexter-sixth-burn-notice-prequel-walking-dead-writers-fired-alcatraz-kevin-williamson/#) is a good one, but it isn’t unprecedented. UK shows (including Torchwood) use freelancers rather than a writing staff as a slightly more common occurrence than is the case here. Difficult to say whether this will be a good thing for the second season without knowing what writers will get the nod to pen some of those thirteen episodes.

OC47150
12-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Great ep to end the season. Would love to know what Jenner whispered in Grimes' ear. The Colonel's secret recipe? ; )

This show isn't afraid of killing people off. I like that.

I have the sneaking suspicion that TWD won't return until next October. There are a lot of other shows on cable where we have to wait a year.

My bro-in-law hadn't seen any of the show. I recorded the marathon for him.

bigbarada
12-06-2010, 11:12 PM
While watching the episode I was actually thinking to myself, "Hmmm, this show could get kind of boring if they spend too much time in the CDC." Little did I know. lol

Oh yeah, and I'm starting to really dislike Shane more and more. :mad:

Phantom-like Menace
12-07-2010, 12:59 AM
I have to assume the CDC has more emergency power than to last one staffer a mere month.

It seemed weird for Rick to assume the guy who's looney enough to lock everyone in against their will had a sane reason for continuing to work on the problem.

bigbarada
12-07-2010, 01:19 AM
I have to assume the CDC has more emergency power than to last one staffer a mere month.

Considering it's a government run operation, I think a month is a little bit on the overly optimistic side. :D

RooJay
12-07-2010, 03:55 AM
If I had to guess (and it looks like I do) I'd say Jenner either mentioned to Rick the location of a certain prison, or else explained to him the particular nature of the infection...

jonthejedi
12-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Either way...season 2 can't get here soon enough.

Tycho
12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I do 20 posts per page (my view) and haven't read the last page because I'm watching Walking Dead with a friend and I'm waiting for her to finish the season finale (I have it on my DVR).

In the meantime, I wish to point out that Transformers already did 2 movies with a zombie.

Megan Fox was in the films. And she's the best looking zombie of all time!

Oh - and Isabel Lucas, as "Alice" sure acted like a zombie, too.

OC47150
12-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Entertainment Weekly had an interesting article about TWD in last week's issue. I skimmed it at the checkout lane. The show won't be returning until next Halloween, which is fine with me as long as the quality remains high.