PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A New Original Trilogy Y-Wing?

Tycho
04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I am taking a detour from our next scheduled movie to run a vehicle poll from (TPM) in light of the latest Q&A with Hasbro:

JediTempleWarRoom.com: Back in an August 2009 Q&A session Hasbro stated that an upgraded Original Trilogy Y-Wing was in the works for 2010. Might this version finally represent the Grey Squadron from RETURN OF THE JEDI, or could this version be from A NEW HOPE with a mission to "Stay on Target"?

Hasbro: Here we don't have such good news. We had been working on a new Y-Wing, but this was dropped from the plan as retailers decided to scale back on Star Wars exclusives for 2010. We do think that we will have an opportunity for a new version in 2011 or 2012. So the question back to your fans is "which one would you most like to see us do next?" Let us know what folks think.

This is our final close-out poll for ROTJ. I could have made the poll for ANH, but I have something else planned for that film's final poll.

However, you can vote for a Y-wing from ANH or ROTJ - please specify in your post.

I am not going to stay on the sidelines for this one myself, and strongly support a Grey Leader figure packed in with the ROTJ Y-wing fighter!

The figure is of an Asian-actor pilot I believe, wearing a Gray Squadron uniform and similar to the 1999 Rebel Pilots 3-pack mistake Hasbro dubbed as Arvel Cryynyd - who was a Green Squadron A-wing Pilot as everyone now knows since Hasbro corrected that mistake for the 2009 toy line (Wal-Mart exclusive I think).

The Y-wing? It would be larger than the original mold they've been releasing, and more on the scale of the late Clone Wars Y-wing release, but an all-new sculpt (it has to be). The Y-wing would fire 4 missiles (two from the front nose guns, and 2 from hidden side-of-the-cockpit torpedo tubes). The real ship shot the latter and the front projections were actually laser guns. The cockpit would probably be a 2-seater like the CW version. Perhaps you could put a targeting computer package in the rear seat for ANH scenes. The droid socket would be fully accessable to any astromech droid from the 3 3/4" line.

I think the bomb bay doors should open underneath the ship - similar to how the missiles launchers open up on the top of the new CW Y-wing. But with lower doors, you can carpet bomb. I recommend having at least 4 bombs below - maybe 2 on each side or more, for single-shot release.

I still think the ANH Gold Squadron markings would be fine for this ship even if it came with the ROTJ Gray Leader pilot figure.

What do you think?

Do you want a new OT Y-wing Fighter?

What color scheme would you want on the Y-Wing?

Do you want a pack-in pilot figure? Who?

I honestly think by Hasbro's Q&A answer, that this ship would not be released with a repaint / re-issue in mind. It would be too costly and more obscure than say a new larger Slave-One, which is nearly a main-character's ship whereas Jango / Boba repaints would prove more popular than say Dutch Vander and Gray Leader's ships. (EU retcon's Colonel Horton Salm was Gray Leader, but Salm is an aging, balding white guy, and the movie showed a younger Asian Y-wing pilot with the line "I'm hit!" - though perhaps he was not Gray Leader after all. In any event, I'd rather have the younger Asian pilot that actually appeared in the film (in the correct uniform this time) than Col. Salm - who could be released later as an EU figure from the Rogue Squadron novels and comics.

Anyway - we could be looking at another $70 Y-wing. Would you buy?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes, I would love an all-new Y-wing. I'd prefer a ROTJ version to get a proper Y-wing pilot figure. I'm not really sure what the differences are between the ANH and ROTJ ships themselves, though.

Darth Metalmute
04-13-2010, 02:36 PM
When was the last time we got a OT Y-Wing? The last one I bought came in, I want to say, a Black and green box? If I remember, it was just a repackaged Kenner version?

For me to get one, It would have to be a whole new sculpt, more detailed than the last one I got. Figure pack ins don't really appeal to me as a reason to get a ship anymore, you could throw in a Country Fried Jawa, and if the ship is done well enough, I would get it.

Features I would like:
A cockpit that could fit two people. Could be just a fold down section.
Stronger support columns.
An Astromech slot.
Firing Missles.
Bomb dropping capability.
Sound.

Tycho, refresh my memory, did you do the A-Wing yet? I can't remember.

El Chuxter
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Nope.

I would, however, buy Lanny Mulletman and his droid, Skittles, on cards if they chose to re-release them.

Maerj2000
04-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, I'd love to have a new old Y-Wing in the same scale as the new Clone Wars version. I'd like to have some coverings and engine parts thrown in for a working on the engines feature. Kids would enjoy that too, I think. Heck, they could use it as battle damage.

Slicker
04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
When was the last time we got a OT Y-Wing? The last one I bought came in, I want to say, a Black and green box? If I remember, it was just a repackaged Kenner version?

I believe we got one a few years ago didn't we? I think it was a TRU exclusive. But I have been known to make mistakes. From time to time...

I actually think the original mold was one of the few that they got right back in the day. It still holds up well, IMO.

El Chuxter
04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
We did. It was the version that came with the only (so far) release of Lanny Mulletman.

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, I would love an all-new Y-wing. I'd prefer a ROTJ version to get a proper Y-wing pilot figure. I'm not really sure what the differences are between the ANH and ROTJ ships themselves, though.I checked the DVD after reading that exchange, and could not find a visual difference between the ANH yellow-markings Y-wing and the ROTJ Y-wing. There was very clearly the yellow-markings Y-wing shown in the ROTJ hangar scene. Some motion shots suggested models that had no yellow markings, but some of the ANH motion shots looked the same, so I don't think it's definitive.

I need to talk this one out before deciding, as I'm not sure. On the one hand, we have a Y-wing. On the other, that Y-wing has flimsy landing gear, a boring cockpit that wastes rear space, no droid slot, middling detail sculpting, no chin guns, scale issues, and an uninspiring bomb gimmick. But what would I do with a new Y-wing that addressed all those issues? (And that's not what Hasbro was talking about doing.) It would look better next to the CW Y-wing. It would scale a little better to the large X-wing and the rest of the rebel fighters, as well as the BMF. But it would be expensive, and it's not really meant to be an exciting fighter, it's the old guard ship that isn't as slick as the X-wing.

I guess, yes, I would get it if it was all-new, but that's on the bubble. If they included the removable paneling shown in Incredible Cross Sections (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Original_Y-wing.jpg), I'd be all for it (it's quite different from the CW Y-wing).

bigbarada
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
If it was all-new and larger, then yes I would get one. I'd prefer it to come with a Grey Squadron pilot from ROTJ.

El Chuxter
04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for that link, JT. I thought I remembered seeing a pic somewhere of the Y-Wing as it originally looked, prior to being cobbled together and re-imagined for the cartoon. I guess these are seen to be two different models now?

One thing has bugged me: wasn't the Y-Wing supposed to be sorta old hat when the Clone Wars rolled around, according to the original backstory?

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for that link, JT. I thought I remembered seeing a pic somewhere of the Y-Wing as it originally looked, prior to being cobbled together and re-imagined for the cartoon. I guess these are seen to be two different models now?Sure thing on that link, it's a good visual.

The Clone Wars one was always intended to be a progenitor of the ANH design, that's why it has the bubble rear turret and the different forward canopy from the McQuarrie and Cantwell designs. It's visually a bridge between the ANH Y-wing and the AOTC Jedi Starfighter, I think.

One thing has bugged me: wasn't the Y-Wing supposed to be sorta old hat when the Clone Wars rolled around, according to the original backstory?I don't remember ever hearing that, I remember it was old hat by the time Luke blew up the Death Star, but that's it.

Darth Jax
04-13-2010, 07:05 PM
a new, larger Y-wing would get me to buy another. it needs to have sturdier landing gear, a droid slot and a decent mechanism for dropping bombs. i never noticed a difference between the ships in the movies so don't care much if it's ANH or ROTJ (guess i'd say ROTJ since it seems to be the more popular).

you can tell hasbro that i will NOT buy any more re-releases of the current mold.

DarkJedi5
04-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I have absolutely no interest in a CW Y-Wing but a new OT Y-Wing would be an automatic buy. Either ANH or ROTJ (since I can't tell the difference) but if it's coming with a pilot I'd love to have the the Grey Squad pilot. I don't necessarily need the removable panels, missiles and bombs but since that' what kids go for I'd live with them if that's what it takes to get this made.

Neuroleptic
04-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I could live with the landing gear and cockpit being upgraded and a new droid slot being added to the old version of the Y-wing with a new droid and the ROTJ asian grey pilot, with the ship having yellow markings if Hasbro released it, and I'd buy it happily.

But I'd also be happy with an all new sculpt and would buy it as well. The price may bother me at first, though. When they release it with the old sculpt, it usualy costs what? 60?

And while I'm thinking about it, the price of this thing ALWAYS ****es me off, as they could easily sell an upgraded vintage mold with an astromech socket, updated cockpit, and fixed landing gear for about 20 bucks if they would just leave the struts off for assembly when opened, put it in a smaller windowless box, and have it come with no figures. If it must come with a figure, 30 to 35 tops is all this re-used vehicle should be selling for these days. Lord knows they've made there buck off the vintage mold, and wouldn't realy have to spend much to update it compared to a full new sculpt like the clone wars version.

Tycho
04-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Tycho, refresh my memory, did you do the A-Wing yet? I can't remember.

I wasn't planning on it at all.

We just got the correct A-Wing with Arvel Cryynyd and another with Green Leader, I think.

The ship's scale seems correct to me, and there was no distinct audio recording of an A-wing in the movie to warrant electronics. I don't think it needs firing missiles either (or one of the latest versions came with that feature - I didn't buy any).

I suppose the landing gear and cockpit opening features could be improved, but maybe they also were in a recent re-release.

But I'll count you as one request for an A-wing poll, Darth Metalmute. Others can respond in this thread if they want an A-wing poll as well, but I'd predict the silent majority do not. (The same goes for the B-wing).

The movie poll series is really winding down. We're doing this poll now because of Hasbro's Q&A that covered it from their perspective, but we're supposed to be doing one of the last rounds of the prequels. They probably have 2 or 3 more shots through, the OT is winding down right now with 1 more left for ANH and one more left for ESB.

When all the movie results are complete, I'll post a results discussion thread, and still continue on with EU polls - predominantly from EU sources that are posting winning numbers (for example, I think Legacy and NJO are out of it).

Darth Metalmute
04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I wasn't planning on it at all.

We just got the correct A-Wing with Arvel Cryynyd and another with Green Leader, I think.

The ship's scale seems correct to me, and there was no distinct audio recording of an A-wing in the movie to warrant electronics. I don't think it needs firing missiles either (or one of the latest versions came with that feature - I didn't buy any).

I suppose the landing gear and cockpit opening features could be improved, but maybe they also were in a recent re-release.

But I'll count you as one request for an A-wing poll, Darth Metalmute. Others can respond in this thread if they want an A-wing poll as well, but I'd predict the silent majority do not. (The same goes for the B-wing).

In your intro, you mentioned this ship was the last in ROTJ, I was just thinking that the A-Wing and, as you mentioned, B-Wing hadn't been done.

I don't remember the last A-Wing I bought, but I think it was of the POTF2 line. And I don't remember liking that one (I sold it). The last B-Wing I bought was probably a Target? (Toys R Us) Exclusive. That one probably just needs a re-release as I remember it was well done.

The last Y-Wing I bought was a Target exclusive for sure, don't remember the year.

bigbarada
04-15-2010, 02:57 AM

We've had three releases of the A-Wing in the modern line:
1997 - POTF2
2002 - Saga with green EU paint job and the incorrect "Arvel Crynyd" pilot figure
2008 - Legacy Walmart exclusive with correct Arvel Crynyd (Green Leader)

If you are only going to buy one, then the 2008 version is the one to get since it has the most accurate paint applications and the best pilot figure. Hasbro has never "upgraded" the vintage mold with firing missiles or other play features (technically, they downgraded it from the vintage toy, since the electronics have been gutted).

I never bought the green 2002 A-Wing because it looks stupid.

I don't see how they can significantly improve upon the current version. Aside from making it slightly larger and getting rid of the reverse etched details. I guess they could put in some electronic features (since the toy still has a battery compartment) and maybe light up engines. I'd pay $65 for that (but I've spent between $160-$480 apiece on at least 5 different vintage A-Wings in my collecting lifetime, so I'm a little nuts for this ship).

However, it seems like the A-Wing is getting rereleased in 2010; so any sort of significant upgrade is extremely unlikely.

DarkArtist
04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
would definately say YES to a new ROTJ style Y-Wing from Grey Squadron with Grey Leader pilot.

it should be more in scale to the figures, longer, bigger etc as well as have sound effects. they can lose the bomb dropping gimmick to sub for electronics. also the Astromech needs to be removable, and a ladder accessory must be included as well.

sound effects should be fly-by, laser cannons, torpedo launch and of course the classic "I'm Hit.........CRASH." sound. that would rock.

mtriv73
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd buy a larger y wing without hesitation. I think an anh version should come out first with a rotj repaint the following year. I'd rather it be a 1 seater like we saw in anh. One thing I think would be nice is pop off engine nacelles to simulate what happens when they get a TIE on their tail.

Snowtrooper
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I really liked the CW Y-Wing, so if they made an all new OT one about that size, I'd definitely buy it.

JediTricks
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
We've had three releases of the A-Wing in the modern line:
1997 - POTF2
2002 - Saga with green EU paint job and the incorrect "Arvel Crynyd" pilot figure
2008 - Legacy Walmart exclusive with correct Arvel Crynyd (Green Leader)

If you are only going to buy one, then the 2008 version is the one to get since it has the most accurate paint applications and the best pilot figure. Hasbro has never "upgraded" the vintage mold with firing missiles or other play features (technically, they downgraded it from the vintage toy, since the electronics have been gutted).
The 2008 version also has an updated cockpit sculpt.

There are a lot of calls for electronics in this thread. I hope folks keep in mind that's not likely to happen. There hasn't been electronics in $20 vehicles since the Ep 1 Naboo Fighter which was 11 years ago, hasn't been in a $20 OT vehicle since the Snowspeeder in orange box in '96, and hasn't been in a sub-$100 vehicle since the $50 OTC Millennium Falcon in 2004.

(I'm not counting the AT-RT walker from 2005 as electronics, as it had no lights or sounds, just foot-shuffling.)

The Space Outlaw
04-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I would buy a whole squad of new, larger Y-Wings if they made them right. I don't even need electronics. Just the same scale as the CW, more accurate sculpting (within the limitations of scale of course) and better landing gear/droid socket. I'd even say keep the firing torpedo launchers under the cockpit. In fact, I'm betting a number of parts can reasonably carry over to reduce sculpting and manufacturing costs, and it'd be a shoe-in for higher-price-point store exclusives later on.

LTBasker
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
I would definitely buy an all new Y-wing, as I've still yet to get a single one. The first Target version was impossible to find, the first TRU version wasn't worth the $30 for a ship that is sub-par to its 1983 release, and the TAC version... IIRC, I had trouble finding it and it was never a good time. Oh well. I'd rather have a new version with some unique features rather than another release of the vintage sculpt.

Although a price matching the CW Y-wing would be a no for me. $40 for a new one at most, especially since, unlike the CW version, a large portion of the ship's rear is simply made up of skeletal rigging. And yes, it would have to include a figure at that point - at least they already have a helmet from the POTF2 Cinema Scene. ;)

Not sure what I'd like to see in terms of launching missiles, but at least I would like to see a bomb deployment akin to the TIE Bomber - but with a few more bombs included. I'm fine with it staying a single seater, although they may as well try to go for a double. Of course, the droid slot will need to allow for a droid to dropped in and removed, no more of the permanently attached shenanigans. The only other requirement I'd expect from it is for the rear rigging to be strong. I'm sure they'll want to use a rubbery material to be safe and whatnot, but they should put metal wiring in there like bendy items in order to keep them straight and sturdy.

Darth Metalmute
04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I think it would be cool if they added a battle damage feature.
Sort of like the TIE Fighter where you could press a button and the engines would fall off.

Tycho
04-26-2010, 02:32 PM
That would be cool!

The Space Outlaw
04-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah, it'd be cool until the Y-wing gets a bad case of TIE Fighter Floppy Wing Syndrome.

Darth Metalmute
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
With the technology they have today, it's actually a shame that we have the 1977 "exploding wing" design.

Luckily for the Y-Wing, it would have to be a new design. I can see two connection points per engine.

The Space Outlaw
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
With the technology they have today, it's actually a shame that we have the 1977 "exploding wing" design.

Luckily for the Y-Wing, it would have to be a new design. I can see two connection points per engine.

Maybe. It would be best if there could be some kind of dual metal posts for each engine, with a close-fitting metal sleeve to receive, and put the whole thing together in such a way that there's the plastic outer "shell" covering both... I know how to picture it, but right now I can't quite put it into words.

JediTricks
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Metal post??? No no no, just do retractable plastic tabs in the wing side, ejector pins in either the wing or the engine side, have the whole engine slot over the wing so it can't wilt. Much cheaper and easier to get following safety regs.

The Space Outlaw
04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Metal post??? No no no, just do retractable plastic tabs in the wing side, ejector pins in either the wing or the engine side, have the whole engine slot over the wing so it can't wilt. Much cheaper and easier to get following safety regs.

Possibly. My question is, though, will there be too much torsional stress on the pitch axis of the engines? A Y-wing in that scale would probably have pretty rear-heavy engines unless the struts and vectral discs are made super-light.

Eh. I guess I'm just not a fan of spring-loaded anything.

Darth Metalmute
04-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Possibly. My question is, though, will there be too much torsional stress on the pitch axis of the engines? A Y-wing in that scale would probably have pretty rear-heavy engines unless the struts and vectral discs are made super-light.

Shouldn't be if it's anything like the previous engine made. The majority of the weight of the engine is at the connection point with the moment arm being at the rear. As long as the clips support it allong the horizontal axis and are positioned radially along the point of rotation, but not on the point of rotation, it should be feasible. Bear-in-mind that a child can do anything to a toy.

Tycho
04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I like the idea of exploding engine nacelles. That's a good one. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
05-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Eh. I guess I'm just not a fan of spring-loaded anything.I'm not a fan of spring-loaded missiles, but what's the point of having a removable battle-damaged engine that doesn't pop off? Takes the fun out of it. My design concept should hold it on the wing quite nicely, it's a fat strut so it won't wilt the way the TIE Fighters of the past have, and the longer travel ensures it won't be wobbly or twisted.

Shouldn't be if it's anything like the previous engine made. The majority of the weight of the engine is at the connection point with the moment arm being at the rear. As long as the clips support it allong the horizontal axis and are positioned radially along the point of rotation, but not on the point of rotation, it should be feasible. Bear-in-mind that a child can do anything to a toy.Metalmute is on it, the majority of the engine's weight is centered around the wing connection anyway, the rear of the engine is lightweight scaffolding.

RamaSha
05-14-2010, 02:32 AM
I'd only like to see a new Y-wing if it was an all new mold. The old Y-Wing is starting to look wimpy next of the current X-wings, BMF, TIE Fighter, Interceptors, and Bombers. The A-Wing holds up well however. When I first heard about the CW one coming out, I actually had hope that it would have removable panels to reveal the more OT looking Y-Wing underneath. Sadly that didn't happen.

I guess I'd like to have the ROTJ one, since the one in the hanger in ROTJ looks just like the ANH one. Only difference would be the pilot and they could release ANH pilots and Astromechs on cards. I wouldn't really want any spring loaded missle launchers or lights or sounds. It'll just drive the already pricey exclusive costs up even more. I would like it to drop bombs. It has to fit a Astromech. I'd rather it be a single seater too since it's what was shown on screen.

Tycho
05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
A new OT Y-wing (from ROTJ w. Grey Leader's action figure pack-in) wins 11-2!

Return of the Jedi had 4/9 new vehicles demanded.

ANH actually still has the highest demand for new OT vehicles (and it's the oldest SW movie!).

ROTJ polling is now complete. We're done.

It worked out so there were 9 vehicles from each OT movie polled for. 4/9 won for ROTJ.

5/9 for ESB
7/9 for ANH

The Winners are:

Jabba The Hutt's Sailbarge [26-2]
Endor Forrest Speeder Bikes [15-1]
Tatooine Skiff [9-5]
Y-Wing Fighter [11-2]

The losers were:

Mon Calamari Star Cruiser [2-13]
Imperial Shuttle [5-11]
Coruscant Taxi [7-11]
Coruscant Air Bus [2-7]
TIE Interceptor (resculpt) [6-10]

From our ROTJ list, I can see the following:

Hasbro would probably go for

updated Speederbikes
resculpted Tatooine Skiff
new sculpt for OT Y-wing fighter
updated TIE Interceptor (or re-release in several years)

Jabba's Sailbarge is a great contender for the large vehicle assortment ($150 plus). It is the most demanded by collectors, and if Hondo Ohnaka or Cad Bane would visit Jabba The Hutt in the Clone Wars series for some major sequence (perhaps with Boba Fett) I can see it getting the support it needs from a kid-audience to make this happen.

Each OT movie (since the Kenner days) had it's largest vehicle: the Falcon, the AT-AT, and the Imperial Shuttle.

In the large vehicle assortment for the OT, two of these vehicles have now been updated. Unless Hasbro turns back to ANH with the Sandcrawler or the Rebel Blockade Runner, I can really see ROTJ getting a large vehicle. Our audience here turned the Imperial Shuttle down - even for re-release. If that ship were to see another issue (which it eventually should anyway, IMO) it wouldn't need an update. The vehicle was really nicely done since 1984. The Sailbarge is such a natural direction for Hasbro to take. We supported it overwhelmingly here.