PDA

View Full Version : Barnes & Noble "nook" e-reader

sith_killer_99
04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, about a year ago I was looking into a kindle, that neat little gadget that always sits on the main page of amazon.

My wife is an avid reader, and she told me the other day that she wants a "nook" for an anniversary present, yes it is long past our anniversary, but hey, I was in Haiti so I didn't get her anything. When I got back she hadn't made up her mind, now she has settled on the "nook".

All e-readers seem to have their own special features to put them above the others, and the nook is no different. The big advantage to a nook, is the ability to "lend" e-books to your friends. This has it's short comings however. First of all you can only lend a book once, that's it, then never again. Second, you can not access the book while it is loaned out to your friend. On the up side, after 14 days the e-book is automatically returned to the owner. How many times have you loaned a book out, never to see it again? :( No worries here!:thumbsup:

The nook also has a nice small color touch screen right below the main screen. It is about the same size as the other e-readers, slightly bigger and heavier than the others overall, but with the same e-ink screen size.

One unique feature is the in-store wi-fi capability. It seems that if you are in a B&N store you can access any e-book title. Unlimited access, yes, unlimited, as in you can read the WHOLE book, not just a sample chapter!

There will be limitations on the loan feature and full access feature for in-store streaming. If a publisher opts out then you will not be able to loan that book or read it while in a B&N. However, the number of those opting out is pretty small.

So, it looks like I will be buying one of these for my wife. Does anyone have any experience with the "nook" or another good e-reader? Thoughts?

El Chuxter
04-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Right now, the cost of e-readers is a bit much for me to put my foot in the pool, and I'm hoping for some sort of universality in the future. But, since you got one, I'll ask: can it display full-color images, or is the main screen text-only?

LTBasker
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
The Nook does seem to be the best value of the two compared to the Kindle, and I'm hoping to be able to get my Mom one for Christmas.

Here's a couple helpful links:
http://gizmodo.com/5420216/barnes--noble-nook-review-pretty-damn-good (Nook review)
http://gizmodo.com/5445603/the-ultimate-guide-to-ebook-readers-we-care-about (comparisons)

JediTricks
04-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Right now, the cost of e-readers is a bit much for me to put my foot in the pool, and I'm hoping for some sort of universality in the future. But, since you got one, I'll ask: can it display full-color images, or is the main screen text-only?
The Nook uses a 16-level grayscale e-ink screen just like all the other e-readers out there (in fact, it's the EXACT same 6" screen as they're all from 1 manufacturer right now). Its lower screen is a color LCD, but it's not meant for primary viewing.

I was interested in the Nook for a while, it has a lot of good ideas in it, but the added weight from the wifi and 3g antennas and LCD screen gave me pause, and then the reviews I've seen say it needs a firmware update because it's a bit sluggish and awkward to navigate right now. But it's definitely closer to something I'd get than the Kindle, which is WAY too focused on Amazon selling you stuff rather than a true book experience (plus, its keyboard makes it pretty big).

My mom has been into e-readers for a while now, she had eyestrain from using computers and I was reading about e-ink screens in PopSci, found one at a local store and it really looked like paper, she got way into it. She got a French one from Bookeen, the Cybook, which she's mostly happy with. It has very long battery life and decent storage, especially for being an early generation version. They make a newer version, the Opus, which I almost bought a couple months back, it's got screen orientation sensors and is light as a feather and quite responsive, but I decided $150 even a great sale price was too much for me to spend at the time.

My mom's husband also has one, I don't remember who it's from but it reads more formats and is faster than hers and was much cheaper (newer is the reason), he likes it a lot.

I've been using my ipod touch as my e-reader by using the Stanza app. It has a learning curve largely thanks to Amazon's machinations buying up companies and formats and screwing them over, plus there's multiple DRM companies making multiple problems, it's very frustrating. I like Stanza as an app though, you can search for books (including free books) right from it via wifi, which I like over non-connected readers more than I expected, and you can highlight and annotate or define words, and I like the touch controls, and being able to search within a book, which is a chore on many e-readers. Battery life is ok for an iphone app, but nothing compared to an e-reader, and the screen is smaller and it's glossy glass LCD so it isn't as good as an e-reader on the eyes. It's 4 ounces, but so is the Bookeen Opus (not having a wifi or 3g antenna the way the Nook does cuts down on a lot of weight and saves battery life).

The Sony 500 Reader, the 5" one, has some charm, I like the smaller format than the 6" screen in some ways, it's almost pocket-worthy, and I don't like holding large books in general so that is superior. But the hardware doesn't live up to their 600 series (although that one has a touchscreen which adds a glossy screen which is an automatic NO in my world) so even though it's relatively cheap, it's not doable.

Here are key factors for an e-reader for me:

Price
Screen
Weight
Size
Formats it can read
Responsiveness
Mini-SD slot
Interface
Build quality

Honestly, I suspect I'll be buying an e-reader at some point to replace that task from my ipod touch. I got wicked eyestrain yesterday from working and from reading on the ipod, and while the ipod is ok in the house, outdoors the glass screen isn't as nice to read on.

Darth Jax
04-14-2010, 07:21 PM
i still prefer an actual paper book. as i'm a slow adapter to technology it'll be years before i'm dragging kicking and screaming into the world of digital books.

sith_killer_99
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
JT made a lot of good points, the glare/eye strain is, IMO why the iPad will never be a kindle killer. Two very different machines with different purposes.

The nook was all my wife's idea, though I was looking at the kindle last year for various reasons. Mostly for deployments. Then there is the ability to subscribe to newspapers!!! That's a big one for me, as I have a hard time finding certain national papers here in Killeen Texas.:tired:

If and when I do buy an e-reader for myself it will have to have wi-fi and 3G access and a wide range of newspaper subscriptions. Memory is less important to me, as you can store thousands (15,000-20,000) of books on most e-readers and there is no way I will use all that space! If I run a newspaper subscription I would delete after reading, thus opening space for the next days paper.

One feature that needs to be incorporated into e-readers is multiple user accounts. Sort of like iTunes, where you can access your account on up to 5 different computers! For example, now that my wife is going to get a nook, I may end up buying one, but why should I pay for the same title again if I want to read the book, or pay for another subscription for a newspaper. In the real world, if I buy a newspaper (or book), my wife would end up reading the same paper (or book). I suppose we could just swap nooks, but that's kind of a pain, besides what if I'm at work (or deployed) and she's at the house.

For example, my wife bought all the Jim Butcher "Dresden Files" books. She read them all. Now I get ready to deploy, so I take them with me down range. Under the nook program she could "loan" me the book for 2 weeks and hope I have time to read it within that time.:rolleyes:Now, I would be okay with a limit like "only one device at a time" whereby if I have it on my nook she can't read it, or vice versa, seems reasonable to me. But the e-book retailers need to figure something out to address this problem if they want us to own more than one of their fancy little devices, in our household.

Slicker
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Am I the only one that laughed at the "Nook-e...reader"?

Please tell me I'm not alone...

Bel-Cam Jos
04-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Please tell me I'm not alone...You stole my bit! You stole my bit! :rolleyes: I commented to a co-worker last week if being a fan of a Nook makes one a Nookie.

sith_killer_99
04-16-2010, 08:48 AM
You stole my bit! You stole my bit! :rolleyes: I commented to a co-worker last week if being a fan of a Nook makes one a Nookie.

Rookie nookie = One who is a fan of, but has little experience with, a nook.

JediTricks
04-16-2010, 04:06 PM
i still prefer an actual paper book. as i'm a slow adapter to technology it'll be years before i'm dragging kicking and screaming into the world of digital books.I bought some used books recently, one of them was so dry the pages started breaking when I turned them. Luckily it was $4 and I got through it, but paper books aren't going to last forever, unfortunately. Even contemporary stuff is fading.

Ebooks can be made pretty easy to use, especially when they're made to consume directly from their maker like the Kindle or Nook. As for using them, the e-ink pages look like printed paper because they basically are, and turning a page is pressing a button in that direction.

JT made a lot of good points, the glare/eye strain is, IMO why the iPad will never be a kindle killer. Two very different machines with different purposes.

The nook was all my wife's idea, though I was looking at the kindle last year for various reasons. Mostly for deployments. Then there is the ability to subscribe to newspapers!!! That's a big one for me, as I have a hard time finding certain national papers here in Killeen Texas.:tired:The iPad is also somewhat more useless for deployment, since it needs to be charged daily or so and can't be charged USB, while the Nook will work for 10 days with the wireless turned off (it's actually the worst of ebook batteries because of the LCD screen, the Kindle is 14 days and they all go up from there). Also, the Nook and other readers have replaceable batteries once their main one goes through its normal life, while the iPad (and Kindle) do not. So when you can't always be around a charging station, you can still have a read. And if you're near a laptop you can charge off its USB.

If and when I do buy an e-reader for myself it will have to have wi-fi and 3G access and a wide range of newspaper subscriptions. Memory is less important to me, as you can store thousands (15,000-20,000) of books on most e-readers and there is no way I will use all that space! If I run a newspaper subscription I would delete after reading, thus opening space for the next days paper.Right now, the Kindle has a wide range of newspapers and blogs while the Nook is far more limited in papers and has no blogs, yet the Nook has wifi while the Kindle does not.

One feature that needs to be incorporated into e-readers is multiple user accounts. Sort of like iTunes, where you can access your account on up to 5 different computers! For example, now that my wife is going to get a nook, I may end up buying one, but why should I pay for the same title again if I want to read the book, or pay for another subscription for a newspaper. In the real world, if I buy a newspaper (or book), my wife would end up reading the same paper (or book). I suppose we could just swap nooks, but that's kind of a pain, besides what if I'm at work (or deployed) and she's at the house.

For example, my wife bought all the Jim Butcher "Dresden Files" books. She read them all. Now I get ready to deploy, so I take them with me down range. Under the nook program she could "loan" me the book for 2 weeks and hope I have time to read it within that time.:rolleyes:Now, I would be okay with a limit like "only one device at a time" whereby if I have it on my nook she can't read it, or vice versa, seems reasonable to me. But the e-book retailers need to figure something out to address this problem if they want us to own more than one of their fancy little devices, in our household.The multiple user accounts thing isn't about the reader, it's about the method of DRM from the ebook publisher, and that's where things get sticky, especially with Amazon buying some of the formats and Apple fighting with Adobe over their DRM. My mom says she's found an ebook retailer that sells their books converted to pretty much everything, that would be the way to go, then you can put it on any device. The epub format is uniformly used except on the Kindle, and does not itself have a DRM system, so you buy an epub book and it'll work on any device.

I myself haven't dealt with DRM, I refuse to, right now I'm only reading free books or buying books that are DRM-free, just like when I buy MP3s. That way I can read it on my current device or enjoy it on any future device. And using Calibre I can convert it from 1 format to another since it's not DRMed.

Maybe you should just get used to reading out-of-copyright stuff for now. Dickens, Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne, and then you can ride your velocipede in the afternoon. :D

Please tell me I'm not alone...Old'd, now we're basically getting over the iPad jokes.

LTBasker
04-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Some cool new Nook news: http://gizmodo.com/5519232/wi+fi+only-nook-lite-coming-soon-nook-2-to-follow

A nook "lite" that is only $60 less seems kind of pointless, though.

sith_killer_99
04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
The multiple user accounts thing isn't about the reader, it's about the method of DRM from the ebook publisher, and that's where things get sticky, especially with Amazon buying some of the formats and Apple fighting with Adobe over their DRM. My mom says she's found an ebook retailer that sells their books converted to pretty much everything, that would be the way to go, then you can put it on any device. The epub format is uniformly used except on the Kindle, and does not itself have a DRM system, so you buy an epub book and it'll work on any device.

I myself haven't dealt with DRM, I refuse to, right now I'm only reading free books or buying books that are DRM-free, just like when I buy MP3s. That way I can read it on my current device or enjoy it on any future device. And using Calibre I can convert it from 1 format to another since it's not DRMed.

The "nook" has a process for loaning books for up to 14 days. This tells me that it can be done (multiple users reading the same copy). If my wife and I both have nooks we should both be able to read them. DRM is sticky, but iTunes allows me to play my library on multiple computers, up to 5, and the nook has a process for sharing as well, so it can and should be done. At a minimum if I buy from B&N all of those books should multiple user accounts. Also the nook allows you to buy from B&N and then share with an app for iPod, iPad, etc.

JediTricks
04-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Some cool new Nook news: http://gizmodo.com/5519232/wi+fi+only-nook-lite-coming-soon-nook-2-to-follow

A nook "lite" that is only $60 less seems kind of pointless, though.Interesting. It should also lighten it and strengthen its battery life. That said, the e-book market is coming down in price, Fry's had several different non-wireless readers for around $150 recently, so dropping from $260 to $200 isn't quite blowing me away just yet. When these things get to $125, I'll be buying one for sure, that's a price where I can buy one and then not worry about having to replace it if I break the first one. :p

The "nook" has a process for loaning books for up to 14 days. This tells me that it can be done (multiple users reading the same copy). If my wife and I both have nooks we should both be able to read them. DRM is sticky, but iTunes allows me to play my library on multiple computers, up to 5, and the nook has a process for sharing as well, so it can and should be done. At a minimum if I buy from B&N all of those books should multiple user accounts. Also the nook allows you to buy from B&N and then share with an app for iPod, iPad, etc.Ok, so I talked to my mom about this yesterday, she says all the DRM she's seen and used has the same ability, it allows you to load the material onto up to 5 devices depending on the DRM scheme I guess.

That got me thinking, what about 2 Nooks on the same account? I checked, and found that yes, you can have 2 Nooks on 1 account according to these Nook users on the BN forums: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/The-Old-eBooks-Help-Board/2-nooks-one-account/td-p/457230

It also looks like the Nook got a firmware update in February which improved performance a little (still some issues but as it's Android-based, apparently the development is coming along at a pretty good rate).

I would still not recommend the Nook to a lot of users out there just yet as I hate the idea of an ebook reader being primarily about a sales schema, but in terms of your particular needs (wifi, already another Nook in the household, ability to read newspaper feeds), it seems like the Nook is a good choice.

sith_killer_99
04-17-2010, 10:21 PM
That's great information JT! I didn't even think to check "nook" forums to get the inside scoop.

I will wait to see what I think about my wife's nook before I consider buying one for myself. Besides, it will be a while before I deploy again, yeah it's coming, that's all I can say about it. I got confirmation the other day.:Pirate: Anyway, if I like it I will probably buy one for myself.

Haiti was pretty bad in terms on internet access, but Afghanistan/Iraq are a different story. I actually got my own personal internet connection before I left Afghanistan in '08, it was slow, but it worked.:yes:

JediTricks
04-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, the great thing with many ebooks and in this case the Nook is that it can hold 2gb internally, and you can get 16gb more on a single microSD (1 to 4gb microSD cards are so cheap right now, that would be a better way to do it than an expensive 16gb). I don't know the military regulations regarding the mailing of microSD media, but if it's allowed, your wife could collect and send you regular mailings of newspapers and whatever (I don't believe the Nook stores the ones it downloads, but it's not hard to actually make your own files that it will read), so even beyond internet access you'd still have access to a considerable wealth of material that weighs less than a pound.

sith_killer_99
04-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Mail if Afghanistan/Iraq is a breeze. Everything ships regular USPS via an APO. Soldiers ordered off of Amazon all the time!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I hear each product is creating different versions for certain niche markets.

For Kindles:
- a version for younger readers (Kindling)
- a version for one-armed men or doctors on the run (Kimble)
- one with a flickering reading light (Kandle)
- a Christmas story version (Kringle)

For Nooks:
- for grandmas (Nan-Nook)
- for Fred Durst or Limp Bizkit fans (it does it all, c'mon, so you can take that Kindle and stick it in your- )
- a Jay Leno themed version (ChinNook)

Not available in stores. Operators are standing; buy!

JediTricks
04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
The Nook got a firmware update that speeds up page turns, adds a web-browser, improves battery life and wifi performance, adds games, and does your dishes. I didn't like hearing that the Nook limits viewing in-store to 1 hour of a book or 20 minutes of a periodical, but what can ya do, it makes sense, they're not trying to give away the farm.

My mum says that the Nook will be carried by Target stores soon alongside the Sony reader.

Oh, and speaking of which, I tried out the newer Sony touchscreen yesterday, it's alright, better than the original. The screen is notably shinier than the non-touchscreen, but it's not a mirror like a laptop screen, it's just a little more glare. It might be a good tradeoff, but it's not priced in my neighborhood yet. I also tried their taller reader, that thing makes no sense. It's like reading 2 columns of a newspaper only above the fold. It seems like an awkward size and shape, it's hardly horrible but it is odd and I suspect of limited use.

I also checked out the iPad iBook iApp at Best iUy yesterday. i. No highlighting or annotating is a real dog, and after a few minutes the thing is really not comfortable to hold upright, the hand wilts holding a big 1.5lb glass and metal rectangle. The program responds well, I don't love the use of the slider having dots, that's a distraction, as is the clock always showing on top, but it's ok. The glossy glass screen was covered in fingerprints though which made reading less than ideal. This thing is not an ebook replacement, no question.

BCJ, I've always heard that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. But that sucked. ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
04-25-2010, 01:58 PM
For Nooks:
- for grandmas (Nan-Nook)Also for Eskimos.

- a Jay Leno themed version (ChinNook)Also for fishermen.

sith_killer_99
04-25-2010, 02:23 PM
The Nook got a firmware update that speeds up page turns, adds a web-browser, improves battery life and wifi performance, adds games, and does your dishes.

SOLD!!!:laugh:

JediTricks
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
The Nook Junior won't do the dishes, and all it'll do is play games and try to download porn while you're not looking. ;)

LTBasker
04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Annd I'll take that one!

JediTricks
04-26-2010, 05:06 AM
The only porn you can get on an e-ink screen is Lady Chatterley's Lover. And boy won't that make Junior even madder when he realizes it.

Darth Jax
04-26-2010, 08:30 AM
til you subscribe to some british rag and get to the photos of the girls.

JediTricks
05-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Nothing is so hot as looking at scantily clad women in 16-level grayscale, or on a 1" tall LCD screen. "Dude, check it out! You can totally tell she's a woman of some sort! I think!"

JediTricks
06-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, my mom bought me the Aluratek Libre Pro after I told her it wasn't too bad a unit when I saw it at Fry's. In the store, the screen looked e-ink, but it turns out it's LCD and looks good in store light, not so much in lower light like a darker corner of my apartment. When it has ambient light to reflect, it's a decent unit for the $100 we paid, albeit with many caveats. But in light I'd be able to read a normal book in the aforementioned darker corner, it is nigh-unusable, the LCD screen just doesn't cut the mustard. Mainly, it's slightly green and it gets darker when it turns on. It's also got a particularly underpowered OS that is desperately in need of updating for speed and fixes (it locked up on me twice). So, we returned it. I am looking now at the Kobo which Borders is selling here, but it has a few things I'm not digging, like the location of the page-change d-pad, and the way the chapter-switching works. I'm also looking at the Sony PRS-300, which may be the first e-ink screen to get to my $125 price, but it's got its own set of drawbacks including an even lamer page-changing d-pad.

For now, I think I'm sticking with the ipod touch. I wish Apple had made something better than the ipad, something between those 2 sizes.

JediTricks
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
The Nook 1 is down to $200, and the Nook wifi-only's price will be a staggering $150: http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/21/technology/nook_price_cut/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

That is the way to do it!

Now I have a real decision conundrum on my hands, the Nook has more features I want, but it weighs 11.6 ounces which is a bit more than I wanted to deal with (the Kobo weighs 7.05oz while the Sony 300 weighs 7.8oz).

Lord Malakite
06-22-2010, 07:59 AM
"Dude, check it out! You can totally tell she's a woman of some sort! I think!"
Last time I heard that Slicker's Mom came for a visit.

JediTricks
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Heyoh! Careful with that joke son, it's an antique.

JediTricks
07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh snap, it's a war now! Amazon has released the new Kindle 3, 21% thinner and now with wifi! They lost half an inch in height and in thickness, and added more battery life, and the main version is $189. But even better, forgo the 3G and stick with wifi only, and it's $139!!! They even dropped in a Webkit browser (Safari and Google Chrome are other Webkit browsers).

Unfortunately, the Kindle still has the ugliest design of any e-reader out there, and they only use proprietary file formats, no epub, but this war just got interesting none the less.

sith_killer_99
07-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Well my wife is happy with her nook. She has been downloading various e-pubs and reading like crazy. She loves it, but the one drawback is certain books are slower to come out on the nook formats. She wants a new book, I forget which one, but it's only available for the Amazon kindle right now.

I told her to give it a week and it will be available in a compatible format for her nook. lol

BTW, she has also been creating media for her nook, screen savers/wallpaper, etc. She really likes her nook.

I have yet to attempt to use the thing. The last book I read was a hardback "The Overton Window" she bought it for me for Father's Day.:yes:

She has downloaded some books for me, but I need to pry her off of it before I can read them.:D

El Chuxter
07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
I would like a nookie reader.

(Can't believe no one's made that joke yet!)

sith_killer_99
07-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I would like a nookie reader.

(Can't believe no one's made that joke yet!)

Close...very close...

Please tell me I'm not alone...

You stole my bit! You stole my bit! :rolleyes: I commented to a co-worker last week if being a fan of a Nook makes one a Nookie.

Rookie nookie = One who is a fan of, but has little experience with, a nook.

El Chuxter
07-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Slicker does not count.

So no one made that joke.

sith_killer_99
01-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Well, I bought my wife the new "simple touch" nook for Christmas. Also, my mother-in-law bought our daughter a kindle for Christmas. So our e-reader collection is growing.

Lord Malakite
01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I got a Nook almost a year ago for free. Won it from the Dr. Oz show. :victorious:

JediTricks
01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Got my niece a new Kindle (v4, the basic one) for xmas, borrowed it yesterday while I was over there, read a short story on it. Amazon has an incredibly fast screen now, very good. I like the light weight of it, but I'm not in love with the narrow margins, less space to hold it from. Also, the lack of page-changing keys at the bottom is a bit disappointing, the ones on either side are fine but on my Astak EZReader 5" Pocket Pro, it has keys on the left, a jog dial on the right, and the last 2 numerical buttons on the bottom also double as page-changers, so I've gotten quite comfy with that.

Now I have to decide which Kindle I'm going to end up with for myself. The Kindle Touch doesn't quite do it for me, the Fire seems nice but I like my ebooks lightweight and my tablets to have native mail and calendar clients, the regular Kindle 4 has an excellent screen and is light as hell and very inexpensive but the ergonomics aren't quite my thing, and the Kindle Keyboard wifi-only (aka the Kindle 3) is no longer offered with the Special Offers discounted price and it's a little large. The thing about the Kindle 4 basic is that its Special Offers unit has more ads than the old Special Offers Kindle to the point where I find them a tad intrusive, and it's got half the storage and battery of the other Kindles.

The one thing I know for sure is that my EZReader was great for its time but is seriously limited by today's standards. It'll be my backup reader, for stuff I can't get on Kindle, but it's time for me to move up for my primary reader.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
It took a long time, but I now am closer to joining the world of the 21st century: bought a Nook Color today. :rolleyes: I proceeded to fill it with almost 10 titles ( !?! :eek: ) for a total cost of: $0.00 (but I still needed to register with a credit card for free downloads :confused: ). It's really for travel, so I don't have to lug multiple books to add to my dangerous weight limits on baggage. We'll see what the wi-fi coverage is away from home. Will probably not use the internet features for more than just accessing my books library, but it's there if THERE IS AN EMERGENCY (as everyone so calmly panics about :p ).

sith_killer_99
06-10-2012, 04:59 AM
I got the nook and kindle apps for my iPad. I am going digital as much as possible. I set up 3 different magazine subscriptions that automatically download, just $1 per issue, per month.

JimJamBonds
06-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I was looking at Nook's the other day but I (think I) talked myself out of getting one. Yeah they are geat and all but I also want to use it as a tablet and the apps selection seemed pretty weak. Can you 'rig it' to get/use Android or iStore apps?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I looked through some apps available, and IIRC there were some listed as Android-compatible (don't know about i-Whatevers). I'm not an app person right now, just for the reading and basic web browsing.

Man, digital free "books" are bad sometimes. Misspelling, missing pages, out of order; I want my [lack of] money back! :p

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 03:03 AM
I was looking at Nook's the other day but I (think I) talked myself out of getting one. Yeah they are geat and all but I also want to use it as a tablet and the apps selection seemed pretty weak. Can you 'rig it' to get/use Android or iStore apps?The Nook is very closed, it has to be rooted to put content into it from other sources, I believe, which is fairly technical. The Kindle Fire at least has the giant Amazon App Store and a more open system. The Nook Color models I think have SD card support, but you can't actually use most of the space on the card for anything other than B&N content. Then again, you can get any Android or Apple tablet and put those same Kindle and Nook apps on them and use them as readers and tablets of your own - that's what I did with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.

I got my sister a Kindle Wifi refurb for $50 with a deal coupon, she seems to like it, but I think she liked shopping for free books most of all. :p

JimJamBonds
06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
I was thinking about getting a higher end Kindle/Nook to replace buying a ipad or more expensive tablet....

JediTricks
06-21-2012, 01:03 AM
I was thinking about getting a higher end Kindle/Nook to replace buying a ipad or more expensive tablet....Unless budget is your concern, I wouldn't bother, the reader-brand tablets are locked into their respective stores, while the mainstream tablets can use those same reader brands' apps and all their own apps as well. Also, you lose functionality with the reader-brand tablets - you can't connect to bluetooth keyboards, can't use USB ports for USB devices, that sort of thing.

But budget is a big thing, it's impossible to ignore, I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 when it was on sale and came with a free dock, and after tax it came out to twice the price of a Kindle Fire (the Tab is 2" bigger screen and thinner and lighter and has more processing guts and a newer Android version though).

On the other, OTHER side of things, if you want a nice tablet for a dedicated reader, you really have to hold a 10" tablet for a while to decide IMO, they're just too heavy for long-time reading, my tab is 15 ounces and 8.9" screen size yet still gets heavy after about an hour even with its nice weight distribution and rounded plastic edges, while the ipad and galaxy tab 10.1 are about half a pound heavier than that and feel taxing to my hands (the newest ipad is almost ludicrous because of its overly-thin, sharp edges compared to its 1.6lb weight, I held one at Samy's cameras for a few minutes and it was hard to believe Apple would put out a product that was "worse" than the previous version in a major regard like that). The Nook Tablet is 14 ounces with its 7" screen and feels good in the hand in the store, the Kindle Fire is 15 ounces and 7" as well but is thicker and squarer... but is in a lot of ways a better Tablet device than the Nook, and Kindles generally get a LOT of cover options to give it more of a book feeling.

El Chuxter
06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I find it hilarious that B&N is losing money and doesn't seem to know why.

Borders went out of business. They are the last nationwide B&M print bookseller. This world was their oyster. Also, traditional CD and DVD sales departments are being cut back at most stores, leaving them as the only B&M store with any selection beyond the obvious. Another captive market. Some people will never get rid of physical for any of those things, others simply prefer physical for some things. And it's tough to browse any online merchant I've seen.

So they gut the media section and half the book section to put in the saddest, most half-baked, overpriced toy store I've seen (I've never seen anyone purchase a toy from B&N) and a huge "Nook lounge" to sell a product that needs, at most, two square feet of floor space.

I'm not seeing the logic in not focusing on the target market that they're the only store left to serve, to focus on attacking TRU and Amazon at a game they're simply not as good at.

Then there was the whole "we're not carrying any DC Comics paperback that's available on the Kindle in-store." Like, uh, Watchmen, the comic that's been on the bestseller list for decades. Some impulse buyer walks in and asks for it, the employee has to tell them they don't have it but can get it online. Since he has to wait anyway, he'll probably shop around and get it at Amazon, where it's discounted. Or he'll just be ****ed and get it from Amazon without looking at barnesandnoble.com. Either way, B&N loses, Amazon wins.

Stupid.

JediTricks
06-22-2012, 01:21 AM
B&N has had bad business model ideas for a very long time, but you have pegged their biggest blunders right there. Their book-to-ebook exclusivity has backfired in their faces badly. Every time they try to force customers and publishers to do their bidding, it goes the opposite way and pushes them further towards being a buggywhip-dealership. The Nook business model doesn't seem to exist at all, it seems only to read: "beat Amazon at whatever."

JimJamBonds
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info JT!

JediTricks
06-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Oh, I forgot one factor that may sway you towards the Kindle Fire, if you have Amazon Prime already there's watching videos on it and borrowing from the Prime book library (one at a time, hence the term "borrowing"). If you don't have Prime, it comes with a month of Prime free (Prime includes that stuff plus 2-day free shipping on anything sold or shipped by Amazon).

Thanks for the info JT!Sure thing. Let us know what decision you come to.