View Full Version : WotC Republic Assault Ship/Acclamator modification
04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Greetings boys and girls.
As some may remember, I decided to modify my WotC Acclamator to make it straight. How they got such a basic design so badly wrong in the first place I'll never know...
Anyway the bottom section straightening was a complete success, very happy. The top section, not so much. I've made two incisions into the vessel and removed some material which will let me, more or less, straighten the ship. I am however running into two problems.
1. How to keep the pieces pressed firmly against each other whilst being glued into place. I tried a small clamp but the pressure it exerts puts little dents into the hull.
2. How to deal with the indented (ie warped) right-hand side of the ship. The bottom section fits in perfectly except for that small area.
Anyone have any suggestions?
04-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I've never heard of anyone successfully fixing the Acclamator, DW... and I think you mentioned that you've tried all the usual bending methods already.
It's a real frickin' shame that they're all warped on the same side: otherwise, you could graft 2 good left/right halves together to make a complete straight ship.
Hmmmm..... maybe you could buy a second Acc, cut off the same wing, and heatbend the wing's top hull until it's straight, completely ignoring what happens with the bottom hull. Then you could slice off the first Acc's bent top hull and replace it with the newly straight one from the second Acc. You fixed the bottom on both sides, n'est pas?
I guess the last option would be to create a completely new top hull for both sides from a kitbash or something.
Please lemme know if you sort something out... I'd love to fix mine too! :ninja: Would love to see some pics.
BTW, I occasionally use 10 mm Tamiya masking tape to hold small parts together whilst they dry. Krazy Glue Gel usually dries so fast that you can usually hand-hold parts until they set... the real trick is not gluing yourself to the ship at the same time!
04-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Unfortunately DH that won't work. See I can get the sides of the ship straight along the horizontal axis, that's easy. The problem though is that when you achieve that, the right side of the ship, on the top anyway, has a distinct dimple in it.
I don't think there's a way to fix it really without using some putty of some such thing to straighten it out, which would then need to be detailed. In regards to the straightening of the top half itself I think I'll make a deeper cut into the hull and remove a little more material to allow it to bend a bit more.
Pretty sure that the reason it's not gluing properly is that there's too much pressure forcing it back the way it normally it. Will make a few more cuts and see how I go. :)
04-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Good luck! I hope something works, mate!
05-13-2010, 03:12 AM
Alrighty I've made some progress, the bottom half is almost perfectly straight and the top half is pretty well straight. The problem is that due to the mold, part of the bottom half (side) needs to be cut away unfortunately. When that's done, I'll be able to fit the parts together.
05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Sounds interesting, DW... looking forward to seeing the refit!
05-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Okay all done. Not 100% happy, but it looks heaps better than it did. I'd take pics, but my camera battery is dead so will have to replace it first.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.