PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A New N-1 Starfighter From TPM?

Tycho
04-17-2010, 07:38 AM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case A New N-1 Starfighter From TPM).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy A New N-1 Starfighter From TPM?

This poll is being offered by request. It has been 10 years or so since an N-1 has been available in the stores.

The vehicle would probably NOT come out in the $24 starfighter assortment.

While you can vote for a re-release of the original (please specify), the poll request was for an all-new N-1, definitely larger than the original, with a working droid slot for an astromech figure that would fit on board the ship.

I'm sure the Anakin pack-in flight controls would be included this time, in a Brian Mertens resculpted cockpit.

The sound effects and green laser lights would stay, as would the torpedo launcher.

I don't think anything else would be required with this ship. A potential pack-in figure would be a generic Naboo pilot with a softgoods trenchcoat. With a higher price point, they could offer a new astromech with the ship, too.

Diorama builders could buy multiples and just use those figures in their Naboo hanger battle if they wanted to add Anakin / R2D2 or Ric Olee / R2-A6 to their scenes (or Padme Pilot and Typho and their droids from AOTC).

Any other features you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

What price point would the ship alone go for?

What price points would the ship with 1 or 2 figures retail at?

How do you want it served up?

LTBasker
04-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Ten, or even five years ago, I'd say a better go at the Naboo Fighter would be a good thing. However, it's really been forgotten with the continued absence from any prequel-era significance aside from TPM (and explosion fodder in AOTC), it's unlikely that a new version would do all that well - especially one that takes up more space. The one we've had for 11 years now is still adequate for the ship, which was really an inadequate addition to the saga, suffering heavily from "look at what we can do!"

I would say the current version is fine and an exclusive repaint is probably its only hope for a new release. Some decent weathering, glue in the Pilot Anakin's control piece, and pack in a new pilot is most likely the best that could be expected, and even then I'm not sure it'd really do all that well.

One problem with a larger version is that the current one is already obnoxious to hold for any of the play features. It's not really heavy, but the awkward aesthetics leaves you hopelessly looking for a decent grip, and making it larger and heavier would definitely worsen that. So, with more space being required, and not easily being able to interact with it, I probably wouldn't buy it.

I really think Hasbro did their best the first time around for the N1, which turned out as nice as it could with the overzealous stylization that Lucas demanded for the ship design.

DarkArtist
04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I'd buy one as i skipped the intial offering from the TPM line years ago. so YES for me.

bigbarada
04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Well, it would require a few things for me to consider it:

1. vac-metalized "chrome" underside and not just silver paint

2. there is no way that an astromech droid would fit in that droid slot, so just make the socket compatible with the BAD heads, so collectors could at least add in some variety if they choose to purchase more than one.

Number 1 is a must for me to consider purchasing it, number 2 would just be gravy. However, if both of these features are added (along with a new SA Pilot as Tycho described), then this would be a yes from me.

DarkJedi5
04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
With an interchangeable droid slot I'd get two. I thought this was such a sleek design. It needs to be redone at the very least rereleased (though I'd be disappointed with that option).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I would gladly buy another, and I don't really care if it's a rerelease or a resculpt. The main thing I'd be looking for is a different droid in the droid socket - preferably R2-A6, so then it could work for either Ric Olie in TPM or Captain Typho in AOTC.

El Chuxter
04-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't think I'd buy either a re-release or a resculpt personally, and I don't think a resculpt is necessary. However, it's been, what, eleven years since this was available? It definitely needs a re-release. Either a different droid head, if possible, or BigB's idea about the interchangeable droid heads would be ideal. Vac-metal is preferable to silver paint.

I will add a caveat: if this were reasonably priced, and came with a totally unique Naboo Pilot (fat guy, black dude, or old lady), I might cave and buy it. Of course, I'd hope at least one more Naboo pilot is released carded before the line ends.

JediTricks
04-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, it's an odd design but fits with weirdo prequel fighter tech and there should be more variety.

The cockpit on the existing ship is too small, it's designed for Lil Anakin figures and makes stuffing other pilots in VERY difficult. I'd like to see more foot room if nothing else, and the removable controls that clipped on were pretty good so that too. More space in general would be better than just recycling it though.

The astromech dome should be interchangeable with the BADs domes, there's no physical way to get an astromech body into the Naboo Fighter, the Incredible Cross Sections has to telescope the head AND alter physics of the legs to get the body into the ship at all, and then the feet are literally intersecting the body in their drawing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:N1_ep1ig.png

We've asked for a vac-metalized front end, I'd like to see that. I'd also like to see the cockpit canopy slide open rather than hinge forward.

Devo
04-17-2010, 09:58 PM
If I get into a prequel toy mood again this is one I'd definitely go for. I don't mind the old one but it would need chrome front and underside, anakin pilot's controls as standard and the option to switch astromech heads to be really worthwhile.

Even better would be the redone ship Tycho proposes.

Snowtrooper
04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I agree with JT. The old one needs a bigger cockpit so it can accomodate full size figures and also needs to accomodate BAD droid heads. Vac-metalizing the body would be a plus as well. So, I'd be up for one.

Neuroleptic
04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Easy pass for both a re-do or a re-release. Just didn't like the ship all that much and even if I was compelled toget it, it would almost certanly be too expensive for what it is.

Darth Jax
04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
was quite down on the vehicles in Ep1 so i passed on queens starship and N1 when originally released. i'd probably purchase one this time around, but would want them to utilize the library of BAD heads and allow for interchangeable droid domes.

El Chuxter
04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but has it appeared on The Clone Wars?

It is rather a shame it faded away as it did. I expected it to be the X-Wing of the PT. Of course, like everyone else, I expected the Queen's Starship to be the Falcon of the PT. There's just not much vehicle consistency, probably (I'm guessing) to allow for more toy sales, which is sad.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2010, 03:36 PM

It is rather a shame it faded away as it did. I expected it to be the X-Wing of the PT. Of course, like everyone else, I expected the Queen's Starship to be the Falcon of the PT. There's just not much vehicle consistency, probably (I'm guessing) to allow for more toy sales, which is sad.
It was in the Naboo hangar in the season one episode "Blue Shadow Virus" but nobody flew in it.

I think the multiple PT vehicles has more to do with the fact that they go to so many different locations. Why would a Naboo starfighter be a standard ship anywhere else but Naboo? As for the Queen's ship, I assume that Jamilia, Neeyutnee, and Apailana use it after Amidala, sort of as an Air Force One type of thing.

El Chuxter
04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I hate to sound conspiracy theorist, but combine the wide variation in vehicles (even the entire Jedi army completely changes its fleet, aside from Plo Koon's, in a matter of three years) with the insane number of Clone color variations (and the fact that there are two basic Clonetrooper armor designs and a few dozen specialized versions), and it's tough to not think selling toys didn't play into the decision somehow.

JediTricks
04-18-2010, 04:33 PM

It is rather a shame it faded away as it did. I expected it to be the X-Wing of the PT. Of course, like everyone else, I expected the Queen's Starship to be the Falcon of the PT. There's just not much vehicle consistency, probably (I'm guessing) to allow for more toy sales, which is sad.It showed up in very small roles in 3 episodes. Wookieepedia claims it was also in ROTS, I don't remember this at all though. Anybody have an answer?

It was in the Naboo hangar in the season one episode "Blue Shadow Virus" but nobody flew in it.Wookieepedia says it's in Children of the Force and Mystery of a Thousand Moons as well.

I hate to sound conspiracy theorist, but combine the wide variation in vehicles (even the entire Jedi army completely changes its fleet, aside from Plo Koon's, in a matter of three years) with the insane number of Clone color variations (and the fact that there are two basic Clonetrooper armor designs and a few dozen specialized versions), and it's tough to not think selling toys didn't play into the decision somehow.If that were the case, Hasbro would have re-released it during AOTC since it plays a notable role in the beginning of the film. The reality though is that the ship is a ship of the Naboo military, not the Jedi or the clones or anybody else, it wouldn't have a role in the larger universe.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't remember it being in ROTS. Maybe it's in the scene where Padmé leaves for Mustafar, but I don't think so.

The Jedi changing their starfighters, I believe, likely had mainly to do with the fact that the AOTC ships couldn't hold full droids and Lucas probably wanted Anakin to fly with R2-D2. The clones have more to do with visual recognizability on-screen - orange for Obi-Wan, blue for Anakin, red for Palpatine, and so on. The leaders need to be called-out visually for recognizability more than anything else - it's why the lead sandtrooper has an orange pauldron, and it's why Bacara looks different from the Galactic Marines. They had specialized troopers in the OT for different terrains, and there are far more diverse areas seen in ROTS than there are in the OT, so why shouldn't there be multiple designs?

Devo
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
I agree with El Chuxter in that the PT didn't have much consistency in vehicles like the OT did. The best the PT managed was the Republic Gunship appearing fairly prominently in 2 films. But otherwise George was just determined to fill the screen with as much diversity and new stuff as he possibly could and this mindset was just never going to throw up a new Millenium Falcon or TIE fighter or X-wing for the prequel era. However I guess there are some good SW universe rationalisations for why that is the case.

As far as thinking it was done to sell toys - well if anything it seems it has done more harm than good to the chances of many of these vehicles being made as toys - there are vehicles that have such miniscule screentime that Hasbro just can't justify turning them into toys....or if they do they're dramatically underscaled like the Sith Infiltrator. Hasbro have also said that if they do the MTT it will not be a big vehicle. Thats a pity, rows of AAT tanks are supposed to be able to come out of the MTT and a small-medium range vehicle won't be able to even approximate that. Its got to be because of its relatively small exposure overall that it either won't be made at all or if it is it'll be too small.

JediTricks
04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't remember it being in ROTS. Maybe it's in the scene where Padmé leaves for Mustafar, but I don't think so.Ugh, now I may have to watch it again just to find out.

The Jedi changing their starfighters, I believe, likely had mainly to do with the fact that the AOTC ships couldn't hold full droids and Lucas probably wanted Anakin to fly with R2-D2. The clones have more to do with visual recognizability on-screen - orange for Obi-Wan, blue for Anakin, red for Palpatine, and so on. The leaders need to be called-out visually for recognizability more than anything else - it's why the lead sandtrooper has an orange pauldron, and it's why Bacara looks different from the Galactic Marines. They had specialized troopers in the OT for different terrains, and there are far more diverse areas seen in ROTS than there are in the OT, so why shouldn't there be multiple designs?I believe the movie changed Jedi Starfighters to get more of a TIE Fighter look, part of that "hey, we're really bridging the gap now!" thing that Lucas kept saying was going to be smooth in all the prequels yet wasn't. :p

Not having 1 ship that carries through the prequels does lend an air of disassociation to the prequel galaxy's lack of a rich history. Yes, the Vulture Droids show back up in ROTS, but they're a different color and behave a bit differently. Lucas I think just changed things for change's sake because he had so many toys to play with that he wanted to use more. There's no attachment though, none of the vehicles feel important or stand for much, just as the characters and events themselves, sorta.

Anyway, if these were meant to be toys, I don't think Lucas could have chosen worse then. Neither Jedi Starfighter works with figures very well, and neither works with astromechs almost at all (the Ep 3 has the removable plug, but not only does it remove too much real-estate, but the lower area doesn't fit their legs).

LTBasker
04-18-2010, 11:57 PM
StarWars.com doesn't list it as appearing in RotS, so I'm going to go with it didn't. Unless it was a random model tossed into the smorgasbord of CGI vomit at the beginning battle.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/naboon1starfighter/index.html

It does list it as being in RotJ, though, and apparently there's a couple. Found the current version of the credits on youtube, and you can barely see them for a second as little yellow dots in the sky immediately after it cuts to the Naboo celebration.

JediTricks
04-19-2010, 04:16 PM
StarWars.com doesn't list it as appearing in RotS, so I'm going to go with it didn't. Unless it was a random model tossed into the smorgasbord of CGI vomit at the beginning battle.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/naboon1starfighter/index.html

It does list it as being in RotJ, though, and apparently there's a couple. Found the current version of the credits on youtube, and you can barely see them for a second as little yellow dots in the sky immediately after it cuts to the Naboo celebration.
SW.com also doesn't list it as being in Clone Wars though, so that isn't a reliable resource.

Darth Metalmute
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
My initial thought was no, but then I got to thinking about how bad the original was. This one needs a resculpt, badly.

It needs to be Target X-Wing sized. Vac Metal front is a must. Bigger cockpit. An astromech droid slot is a must, but the build a droid solution JT mentioned would work, as long as it came with a R2-D2 head. But the most important thing is, the tail cannot, I repeat, cannot be made of soft plastic.

Tycho
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I hope you guys don't think I want this just because I'm polling for it.

Some folks requested the poll for this ship.

I bought 5 of the originals with these intentions:

1 for a diorama of Anakin bursting through The Revenue for which I hopefully will be able to add blue battledroids (more of them) and Tey How and Dauldry Dofine. I think I got an extra TC-14 for this, too - just so I can have more characters on the bridge watching Anakin fly by their window. I'm going to build this in a long plexiglass wall-hanger with a false-back pretending to be the Federation ship's interior bridge window, and Anakin's N-1 behind this.

4 for Ric Olee and hopefully two pilot variations (but I have extra Olee figures to cover for this) and another Anakin racing up to the battle to join them. I'm just going to hang the ships from the ceiling along with 15 Vulture Droid Fighters (the original small ones not $360 worth of plastic plus tax).

No hanger scene I'm making will have the toys. I'm going to print the ships onto a backdrop from a screen capture off the DVD.

I wouldn't use this ship for the landing platform attack from AOTC either. Another printed backdrop will work fine to display the Padme and Typho Pilot figures, along with some Naboo Royal Guards and hopefully a Corde figure. Corde might sell as well as Jocasta Nu if they make her!

bigbarada
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
But the most important thing is, the tail cannot, I repeat, cannot be made of soft plastic.

Well, because of toy safety regulations, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be.

DarkJedi5
04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
But the most important thing is, the tail cannot, I repeat, cannot be made of soft plastic.

Well, because of toy safety regulations, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be.

Which is why I doubt they can do vac metal because the silver on the underside carries all the way through to the end of the tail and that means you'd have to vac metal the soft plastic part which is probably impossible.

Tycho
04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I didn't poll if you want Hasbro to make a vehicle that comes with lead poisoning from China.

Here goes:

I am continuing my ridiculous thread series.

I will continue to go through the toy line in the following order:

-toys causing lead poisoning
-toys with toxic fumes
-toys easily swollowed
-toys that can poke a child's eyes out

We will continue with each category approximately once a week until everyone here is dead or otherwise incapacitated.

Today, we are covering the next toy that causes lead poisoning.

Do you want a new N-1 Starfighter made with toxic paint?

I suggest this new vehicle be marketed with the retro-style packaging from the KENNER Star Wars era, showing a small child with crossed eyes and a distressed expression on his face sticking the tail end of the Naboo Starfigher into his eye while it's firing a missile at a pet cat on the play table, and a younger sibling is receiving the Heimlich Maneuver from her father because she swallowed the other missile.

However, on the back of the box, we get to see a new picture with some tongue-action going and the child-owner of the new Naboo fighter licking the paint off the front engine nacelles, this time with one of the other firing missiles sticking out of his other eye, a patch now over the first one he poked out with the tail fin.

How much would you pay for this vehicle?

Do you think it would sell if Hasbro were to make it?

Do you want a pack-in figure? Perhaps a 2-1B medical droid would be appropriate?

El Chuxter
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
If that's the poll, I propose the the three tails on the Starfighter be razor-sharp.

JediTricks
04-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Which is why I doubt they can do vac metal because the silver on the underside carries all the way through to the end of the tail and that means you'd have to vac metal the soft plastic part which is probably impossible.Nah, they'd just do vac-metal up to the point where the tail meets the body, then use silver paint. It's narrow enough that I'd be ok with it, it shouldn't stand out too badly. Or they could change the design so there's a short tab of vac-metalized plastic sticking partway into the tail the way the Ertl die-cast model had.

If that's the poll, I propose the the three tails on the Starfighter be razor-sharp.Ertl I think it was made a die-cast Naboo Fighter model, I have it, the tails are pointy as hell and they are a danger. But the real danger of having those tails be made of hard plastic is that they're so thin they'd snap right off.

I just checked that model, they are really likely to break during play, as a kid I would have loved this thing for 5 minutes, broken the tails off, and then been super annoyed for the rest of my life. :p Luckily, Ertl chose the right metal for the shiny bits, after 11 years they haven't tarnished or lost their luster (although I let them get pretty dusty so at first I thought the worst :p).

Darth Metalmute
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
I am continuing my ridiculous thread series.

I will continue to go through the toy line in the following order:

-toys causing lead poisoning
-toys with toxic fumes
-toys easily swollowed
-toys that can poke a child's eyes out

We will continue with each category approximately once a week until everyone here is dead or otherwise incapacitated.

Today, we are covering the next toy that causes lead poisoning.

Do you want a new N-1 Starfighter made with toxic paint?

I suggest this new vehicle be marketed with the retro-style packaging from the KENNER Star Wars era, showing a small child with crossed eyes and a distressed expression on his face sticking the tail end of the Naboo Starfigher into his eye while it's firing a missile at a pet cat on the play table, and a younger sibling is receiving the Heimlich Maneuver from her father because she swallowed the other missile.

However, on the back of the box, we get to see a new picture with some tongue-action going and the child-owner of the new Naboo fighter licking the paint off the front engine nacelles, this time with one of the other firing missiles sticking out of his other eye, a patch now over the first one he poked out with the tail fin.

How much would you pay for this vehicle?

Do you think it would sell if Hasbro were to make it?

Do you want a pack-in figure? Perhaps a 2-1B medical droid would be appropriate?

I think the missles should come with armor piercing tips and be should have a mini bottle rocket in them. When you press the button to fire them, the trigger mechanism should create a spark like a lighter that ignites the rocket. The box should be able to be converted into a bulleyes display where the center target could be punched out and placed on a friends or pets head.

sonofsokol
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I am a no on toxic paint.

Hey Metalmute, a couple of questions
1. How many bottle rockets would it come with the ship and would these be standard bottle rockets? I would hate to have to buy replacement bottle rockets from Hasbro Toy Shop or something. I would vote for standardization of bottle rockets for simplicity.
2. I love the target idea too. Would this be self-adhering or would you need to use your own tape/glue/adhesive agent of choice? That could be a deal breaker :sad:

Darth Metalmute
04-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey Metalmute, a couple of questions
1. How many bottle rockets would it come with the ship and would these be standard bottle rockets? I would hate to have to buy replacement bottle rockets from Hasbro Toy Shop or something. I would vote for standardization of bottle rockets for simplicity. :

I think I would pack it six. Then you could buy the Hasbro Missle Maker from the HTS if you needed more. Or you could get a second hand model from Toy R Us. http://www.comedycentral.com/tosh.0/2010/03/23/is-your-childs-rifle-missing-it-targets/comment-page-1/#comments

2. I love the target idea too. Would this be self-adhering or would you need to use your own tape/glue/adhesive agent of choice? That could be a deal breaker :sad:

Well, I imagine it would be self-adhering, but I would guess that you would have to mock it up yourself to actually get it to work.

Tycho
05-06-2010, 03:58 AM
A re-sculpt of the N-1 starfighter wins the vote 10-2.

I did not vote in this round myself (I don't need the ship - but why spoil your fun?) but my "no vote" wouldn't have made a difference.