PDA

View Full Version : Stores

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Remember them? Big buildings with items for sale? No need for shipping rates or clicking?

Post your experiences in these 19th century has-beens. Funny, sad, confusing, frustrating; whatever. Maybe some of you work in them, or used to.

Today, in Target, I put all the Saesee Tiin pegwarmers in front of the other SW figs. Hee hee! Ahem. :rolleyes:

There is a Barnes & Noble that has a clerk that scares me. To be honest, I don't know why anymore. If I see that person behind the counter, I "look for" other items until I think I might get another cashier later.

JimJamBonds
04-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Remember them? Big buildings with items for sale? No need for shipping rates or clicking?

No.... no I don't. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Today, in Target, I put all the Saesee Tiin pegwarmers in front of the other SW figs. Hee hee! Ahem. :rolleyes:They had other figures?

Background Character
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Speaking of frightening clerks, there is a Sears near me that has a guy working in the tool section who looks exactly like the ghost leader guy in Poltergeist 2 who is trying to get into the house (the Mormon leader guy). No matter how badly I need something, if he is working I wait until another time to make my purchase. I swear he is going to say, "You're all going to die in there!".

DarthQuack
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
What are these stores ye speak of.....I'm just used to Amazon.com for most of my purchases these days...

TeeEye7
04-24-2010, 05:25 AM
The mall on my side of town has all but vaporized. Sign of the times, I guess, since I do a lot of shopping on line.....Land's End, Zappo's, LL Bean, Amazon, 5.11, eBay, etc., etc..........

Bel-Cam Jos
05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Two stores I used to frequent are probably going to be changing for me. One, because it has closed down (had to find a better place for copies and binding, but I doubt any will meet its customer service). And two, because the nearby Chinese food restaurant I prefer has been at a 'B' food grade for about 3 months now (not really a big deal to me) but the quality and taste of its food has dropped (can't really accept that anymore). :( Sad to see both go out of my rotation...

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I heard these phrases spoken by two WM employees the other day:
"Is that the lemonade?"
"No, it's the fruit punch, but they're the same."

Hmm. :confused:

And, tell me, should this guy loses his cool card? Wearing a Pantera t-shirt, with flowery Hawaiian shorts. \m/ OR _m/ ?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Leaving the Costco parking lot today, I saw a chipmunk standing on its hind legs in the middle of a parking space. I have no idea what it was looking at, but it didn't even flinch as I drove past the space. Quite odd. Also, since I got there soon after the store opened, once I got to the checkout lanes to pay for my cash card, there were... no cashiers or lanes open. Free stuff, then? :thumbsup: Sadly, nope. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 09:42 AM
There's a Best Buy that's not as near to my home as the BB used to be (they moved to a "better place" I guess, once another electronics franchise folded), and every single time I go in there (which isn't too often, but has been over more than a year), the entrance has the WORST BODY ODOR SMELL once the doors open. And it used to be the case in the Curcuit City that occupied the same location. I have a bad sense of smell, too, so it takes a stench to get me to be aware of it; have no other employees or customers noticed it? :upset: :whatanincrediblesmellyouvediscovered:

Maradona
10-30-2010, 06:42 PM
STOR? Wasn't that IKEA's name before it became IKEA or was it an IKEA knockoff?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
STOR... without the 'E.'

I thought about something today: if you use your own reusable bag at Target, they credit you $.05 for each one. But if you use NO BAG AT ALL, you get nothing for it. Hmm...

El Chuxter
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
On one occasion, I had them give me the $0.05 for not using a bag. My concern is that they'd be too daft to give credit for a non-Target bag, but would not realize you brought the Target bag.

My real issue is the "plastic bag mafia" and their influence on stores. The friendliest cashier will become a wall of unspeaking evil if you say, "I don't need a bag." Doesn't matter if it's just one item. They don't like it. And, if you do need a bag (say you're getting six small things, just enough that you can't be sure of carrying them out without dropping them), you won't get just one.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2010, 07:49 PM
In honor of today being "Small Business Saturday," I tried to buy some trading card sleeves from a local card shop. I was by far the oldest person in there, including the employees. I asked if they had any 9-card holders, and was told "no" straight out. The other employee said that they got some in a little while ago (at a card shop?), and the other went looking for them. The first guy thought they were a buck a piece (?!?), but after a couple texts and two phone calls (apparently calling "Hugo" was the wrong person to ask) they ended up as $.25 each. I bought $2 worth, no tax was charged.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I heard a radio commercial saying that THIS weekend the 27th is Small Business Saturday. I spent my two buck$ for NOTHING! :rolleyes:

A K-Mart, when paying by CC, I used the little terminal in line. Then, I had to sign the paper receipt (odd...), but the cashier asked if I had a pen (no, that's why I expected to use the electronic styllus on the terminal). When I said no, she had to go to another cashier to find one (and it was one of those pens that looks like a flower). All for less than $5 in purchases.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2010, 08:10 PM
It was pouring rain most of today, but I needed to find some gifts. I tried my best to avoid the deep puddles when going from store to store, but at one point I realized my left foot seemed wet, so I thought I must've missed one. Once I got home... I saw that most of the heel of that shoe had broken apart and/or disintegrated?!? :confused: Talk about power shopping! No, please talk about power shopping now. :rolleyes:

bigbarada
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
I was at Walmart today and only had a couple of items and cash on hand, so I thought I would go through one of the self-checkout lanes. Well, unfortunately one of my items was Gorilla Glue, which requires the cashier to verify if I am at least 17 years old, so I had to wait on someone to come check my ID. However, the associate who monitors the self-check lanes was busy with an elderly couple at the other self-checkout register. The elderly man was in one of those power scooters and the associate had to lift every single item out of his basket and run it over the scanner and bag it for him..... :confused:

So, my question is, if you need a cashier to lift, scan and bag every item for you, then why in the world would you go through a SELF-CHECKOUT lane?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
It was pouring rain most of today, but I needed to find some gifts. I tried my best to avoid the deep puddles when going from store to store, but at one point I realized my left foot seemed wet, so I thought I must've missed one. Once I got home... I saw that most of the heel of that shoe had broken apart and/or disintegrated?!? :confused: Talk about power shopping! No, please talk about power shopping now. :rolleyes:Power shopping with a wet foot might get you electrocuted.

InsaneJediGirl
12-24-2010, 12:34 AM
On one occasion, I had them give me the $0.05 for not using a bag. My concern is that they'd be too daft to give credit for a non-Target bag, but would not realize you brought the Target bag.

My real issue is the "plastic bag mafia" and their influence on stores. The friendliest cashier will become a wall of unspeaking evil if you say, "I don't need a bag." Doesn't matter if it's just one item. They don't like it. And, if you do need a bag (say you're getting six small things, just enough that you can't be sure of carrying them out without dropping them), you won't get just one.

Cause as a cashier, we're used to getting yelled at by customers by every little thing, so you get thrown off, thinking this is all some cruel,sick joke:yes:

I took a reusable bag to Publix and got about 15 items. Somehow, the bag boy got all 15 items in the bag(some were bulky) and said it was the most fun and challenge he had all day. Poor kid. All the more reason to go reusable, gives the teenage boys some mental stimulation!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Target's shopping carts are almost all plastic now.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2011, 03:45 PM
In a Toys R Us parking lot today, a bird landed on my car roof, then wouldn't fly away when I used my terrifyingly dangerous technique of waving my arms and saying "hey!" What's up with that? ;)

And, in the checkout line at Target, the cashier asked me how my day was, and I said, "it's moving slowly, which is a good thing." Her reply and posture told me she didn't feel a "slow" day was a positive thing; eh.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
While at the Dollar Tree discount store, I saw packaging for "adhesive stickers" and "wearable party hats." :confused: Are there any other kinds of each?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2011, 11:10 AM
While at the Dollar Tree discount store, I saw packaging for "adhesive stickers" and "wearable party hats." :confused: Are there any other kinds of each?My Devo hat is unwearable unless you put a liner in it. I had to take the one out of my Darth Vader helmet and tape it in there to make it work.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I may need to add "not returning shopping carts to the pen" to my list of pet peeves; I was at several store parking lots yesterday, and almost all of them had MULTIPLE "congregations" of carts, some near the cart pen itself. With the usual wheels-on-the-curb move, or just the hope-gravity-isn't-here technique. I watched a lady put more time and effort into trying to keep it from rolling away than if she just shoved it into the holders. I know people are lazy, but that was bad even for sloth and lethargy! :mad:

p.s. Anybody else freaked out by the Target/Wal*Mart employee pow-wows on the floor? Where a group seems to re-enact Leia's pep talk at Echo Base, about how to deal with the customer assault? Is it really necessary to have those out in the open?

TeeEye7
09-25-2011, 10:53 AM
p.s. Anybody else freaked out by the Target/Wal*Mart employee pow-wows on the floor? Where a group seems to re-enact Leia's pep talk at Echo Base, about how to deal with the customer assault? Is it really necessary to have those out in the open?

That's how Best Buy lost my business. I refuse to step foot in that store because of the total lack of customer service (not to mention total lack of product knowledge). Thankfully, my Target has good customer service!

Nice analogy, BCJ!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
That's how Best Buy lost my business. I refuse to step foot in that store because of the total lack of customer service (not to mention total lack of product knowledge). Thankfully, my Target has good customer service!

Nice analogy, BCJ!You know, I believe I stopped in that Bakersfield BB, back in July. They barely knew where the movie soundtracks section of music was. But they were helpful, if slow, in trying to find items.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-25-2011, 04:44 PM
p.s. Anybody else freaked out by the Target/Wal*Mart employee pow-wows on the floor? Where a group seems to re-enact Leia's pep talk at Echo Base, about how to deal with the customer assault? Is it really necessary to have those out in the open?When I worked at Wal-Mart, I usually didn't go to any of those meetings as I was busy trying to get the money counted in the cash office. Whatever they had to tell us didn't apply to me anyway.

TeeEye7
09-25-2011, 05:32 PM
You know, I believe I stopped in that Bakersfield BB, back in July. They barely knew where the movie soundtracks section of music was. But they were helpful, if slow, in trying to find items.

I rest my case.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
While leaving Wal*Mart today, I saw a little girl (maybe 3 or 4) with a plastic bloody knife, hacking at the limb of an inflatable "scary tree" display.

TeeEye7
10-04-2011, 03:49 AM
While leaving Wal*Mart today, I saw a little girl (maybe 3 or 4) with a plastic bloody knife, hacking at the limb of an inflatable "scary tree" display.

A budding tree surgeon?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Target's front-of-the-store, around-the-first-corner display? Jose Cuervo. Kraft Mac 'n Cheese. Hmm...

TeeEye7
10-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Maybe it's a promo for Macgaritas.

El Chuxter
10-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I hate going now to the shopping center where there used to be a Mervyn's, CompUSA, Wickes, Circuit City, and Borders. :(

TeeEye7
10-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I hate going now to the shopping center where there used to be a Mervyn's, CompUSA, Wickes, Circuit City, and Borders. :(

Same here. In fact, the entire mall property is facing foreclosure. "They" might as well board up my side of town.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I went to my local grocery store last night for, well, groceries. Saw several emergency vehicles in front of the store, to discover that a truck had apparently done the hit-the-gas-instead-of-the-brake trick minutes earlier and took down the display window by the bread and baked goods section. Irony alert: it's also near the carpet cleaner rental section. And, nobody was hurt, thankfully.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
While in TRU yesterday, I heard the following (summarized for ease of memory):
Grandma: "Do you have this one?" [holds up Hoth Han figure]
5-6 year old boy: "I don't think so. Why would I need two Han Solos?"

Different 5-6 year old boy: "You said you wanted the purple one (I assume he was speaking of a Mace Windu saber). You should get it. I think you're making a bad decision."

Ah, younglings. :rolleyes: Wise beyond their years.

DarthQuack
02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
I miss the old days of collecting.... :( Stores full of isles of wonderful toys.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-05-2012, 12:41 AM
All I bought was a Sure deodorant, but it allowed me to meet and wave at a little one who justed wanted to wander around the cashier line while her dad was paying and wrangling the other kids he had with him. Oh, and I got a badly-worn-down buffalo head nickel in the change. :greedy: :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I like the automatic doors entering/exiting Target with their artwork: either a croquet mallet and ball moving apart, or a twin stick popcicle splitting open.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Walking into a Toys R Us today, and there was a family of mom (with little one in the cart seat, first one of them that went into the store), daughter (clearly excited to be in a toy store), and dad (texting on his phone, aware of nothing around him). Little girl runs out the entrance door; dad still notices nothing, but at least mom yells (without looking back) out "Daughter's Name, come here" from about 20 feet in the store (where she might be able to hear her). Yay cell phones and parenting. :sad:

But the oddest thing about this foray into a store was that I BOUGHT TOYS, for myself, that I WAS INTERESTED IN PURCHASING! :eek: :recessionover: :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2013, 05:18 PM
At a comics/toys shop (still trying to find that new The Star Wars comic) today, I bought an old Pirates Starting Lineup figure (pitcher Mike Dunne, BTW) and an Alpha Flight comic. Brought them up to the cashier; computer was running slow, and the guy apologized (I told him to not worry about it). Then, the amount was overcharged (again, I said, "no problem" as he was checking and correcting the error). I decided NOT to pay by credit card, in case more issues arose, so I handed him a $20... the change was wrong for a twenty OR a ten. He didn't think I had given him a Jackson, "and I can prove it," he said. Opened the cash drawer... and saw the $20. I got my correct change, but no other words from him. And to top it off, when I opened the comic at home, it was a 2nd printing. I don't think I will be back for a long, time. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
03-08-2014, 09:04 PM
This was odd; in K-Mart, I noticed this item in their "discount" aisle. A great deal: was $9.99, now $9! A fake Lego KISS toy!

Maradona
03-09-2014, 12:06 PM
This was odd; in K-Mart, I noticed this item in their "discount" aisle. A great deal: was $9.99, now $9! A fake Lego KISS toy!

Just when you thought sales couldn't get any better, Kmart turns the dial up to 11 -- 11% off. Now if only Hasbro would make a Cold Slither set for their fake Lego GI Joe line...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Heard this in Target today, which defines irony as this thread has shown before:

Girl: "We've been in this store I haven't gotten anything."
Adult: "You ordered a toy online yesterday."

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Saw this today. To quote Palpatine, after being asked how many items from this store display of which I wasn't intending to buy that I should take to the cashier: "ALL of them."

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2014, 07:09 PM
A wonderful idea! Lip balm, like a lightsaber! A way to literally wipe that smile off your face!

"I find your chapped-lip face disturbing."

JimJamBonds
11-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I find your choice of chap stick applicator disturbing BCJ.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Anyone have "survival stories" from Black Friday? My mother asked me to get some poinsettias from Home Depot (a legit good deal), which opened at... 5am? :( My worst part of that, aside from an earlier awakening post-Thanksgiving than I'd prefer, was the shaky wheels on the cart. After coming home, and breakfast out, I hit Barnes & Noble (no good deals but some good gifts bought), JC Penney (awful, abhorrently-massive lines; bought nor even picked up anything; parking was terrible, too), Steinmart (some great deals, free water bottle! ;) ), K-Mart (decent stuff). Saw no Star Wars stuff worth buying (but I wasn't near TRU or W*M).

El Chuxter
11-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Got some presents for the kids at Kohls. (Their normal prices suck, but they let you stack coupons and such.)

Stopped by Walmart and Target last night to check out blu-ray sales.