PDA

View Full Version : Official - Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray in 2011!!

Beast
04-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm honestly shocked that you guys arn't all over this news. I haven't even seen it mentioned or discussed anywhere on here. Anyway, during a panel at C2E2 in Chicago, Steve Sansweet confirmed that the Star Wars films are being prepped for release in 2011 on Blu-Ray. About time. I guess Lucas must have been happy with the sales for Clone Wars and Indy IV. We heard that those were tests to see if the Blu-Ray market was ready for SW. :)

From IGN:

C2E2 10: Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works
Sansweet reveals details on the highly-anticipated Blu-rays.

April 17, 2010 - Today in the IGN Theater at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet revealed anticipated information about the Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray.

"We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about… there are some real treasures."

When will the set come out? Sansweet says, "We're not ready to announce exactly when it's coming out, but it won't be in the too distant future."

Stay tuned to IGN Blu-ray for more news on the six films making their way to the format.

From The Digital Bits:

This is a rare Saturday post with some important breaking news: Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet has reportedly confirmed, during a panel today at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, that the company is now working on a Blu-ray Disc box set of all six Star Wars films loaded with extras, for release "in the not too distant future." We're awaiting any kind of official statement from Lucasfilm - one MAY appear on Star Wars.com in the coming days. Nonetheless, MANY people who were in the panel began Tweeting reports of the news almost the moment the words left Sansweet's mouth. IGN has also reported the news with an actual quote from Sansweet: "We have been at work for a couple of years working on - I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff - but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about... there are some real treasures." There is no other official information at this time, but we'll post additional details when and if they come in. HOWEVER...

Consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but our own industry sources have actually been checking in with us in recent weeks on this very subject. Our latest information is that Lucasfilm tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011. Now, we've been hearing reports like this on and off for years, and until now little has come of it. So we've been waiting to say something here on The Bits until we had a hint of more official confirmation. But now that Sansweet has begun talking about the release, we feel more comfortable reporting on the word from our sources. Plans could obviously change and again, even though Sansweet has hinted that it's coming, none of this constitutes an official announcement. But if current plans remain unchanged, our sources say you'll be enjoying The Force in 1080p next October.

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1084415p1.html
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Steve Sansweet only confirmed that they've been working on the Blu-ray for a few years now. He said nothing about a date - that's 100% speculation. I just listened to his Forcecast interview that was conducted after the panel, and he again said "not too distant future" but didn't give any inkling whatsoever that it would be next year. So I wouldn't get too jazzed about it just yet, Binks.

Still, when the films come out on Blu-ray, then I'll buy a player.

Beast
04-18-2010, 04:40 PM
The not to distant future wouldn't be over 2 years off. So I doubt it'll be after 2011.

Plus The Digital Bits is hearing 2011. So I wouldn't be surprised.

sith_killer_99
04-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I am...hesitant.

At first I thought this would be a great idea, and it probably still is, however there are some things to consider.

1. Which versions will we get? I hope he has the foresight to put the original theatrical releases in the set.

2. Remember these were shot in the 70's and 80's. HD transfers are a bit problematic with older films, as they were not shot in high def.

3. What will the price point be for the set? The recent LOTR set was pretty expensive, and only included the theatrical release, not the extended cuts, so, despite including an iTunes copy (which is one feature that usually locks me in for a sale), I passed.

4. Marketing, which Lucas has become notorious for will likely be all over this thing. I fear he will make an online interaction feature that will require membership in the fan club in order to access. Of course it will be marketed as "special exclusive content for fan club members" as opposed to "if you aren't a fan club member you can not access X, Y, and Z". :rolleyes:

I will likely buy these when they do come out, but I fear there will be a lot of drawbacks to the set.

Also, if he releases these without the originals I will wait until he releases them with the originals. I don't want to fall into the same trap he got me with on the DVD's. I went out and bought them, then later bought the re-re-re-re-releases with the original theatrical versions.:(

El Chuxter
04-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I still say Blu-Ray is a big old pile of hype. :p

Beast
04-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I still say Blu-Ray is a big old pile of hype. :p
Then you haven't watched a movie on Blu-Ray. There is a huge difference.

Beast
04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I am...hesitant.

At first I thought this would be a great idea, and it probably still is, however there are some things to consider.

1. Which versions will we get? I hope he has the foresight to put the original theatrical releases in the set.

2. Remember these were shot in the 70's and 80's. HD transfers are a bit problematic with older films, as they were not shot in high def.

Also, if he releases these without the originals I will wait until he releases them with the originals. I don't want to fall into the same trap he got me with on the DVD's. I went out and bought them, then later bought the re-re-re-re-releases with the original theatrical versions.:(
You will never get a fully restored high-def version of the original cuts. At most, you'll be lucky to see another bonus disc situation with the old LD ports. Lucas doesn't acknowledge those old cuts. And isn't going to spend the money to restore and prep them for Blu-Ray release. Plus if the whole thing about his ex-wife getting a margain of the profits for the original cuts, I can't blame him for not wanting to reward her. There's a reason Lucas raises the kids.

As for HD transfers being problematic for older films thing is really nonsense. Yes, the films need to be prepared and encoded. But a lot of films got hi-def masters done when they were released on DVD years ago, even if the DVD's couldn't showcase them. If you're talking about grain, grain is supposed to be there. It is not a bad thing, and should never be scrubbed away as it ruins the actual film. Besides, the image resolution of actual film is still superior to Blu-Ray. Check out the recent releases of Wizard of Oz or The Day The Earth Stood Still (Original) on BLU-Ray. The images are amazing. Wizard of Oz got an amazing brand spaking new 8K scan just for the Blu-Ray.

http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/screenshots

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
The not to distant future wouldn't be over 2 years off. So I doubt it'll be after 2011.

Plus The Digital Bits is hearing 2011. So I wouldn't be surprised.
It might come out in 2011, and it might not. Either way, the date absolutely not official at this pint, so the title of this thread is misleading.

I'm mainly excited for more behind-the-scenes stuff, particularly deleted scenes. Steve Sansweet said that they were finding footage that had previously only been rumored, so that sounds pretty awesome.

Beast
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Hopefully we'll finally see the C-3PO/Wampa Room scene from ESB.

And hopefully they replace the cruddy puppet of Yoda from TPM with a new CGI version.

El Chuxter
04-18-2010, 06:59 PM
There is a huge difference. Movies on blu-ray look like they were filmed with a soap opera camera. :p

(I'm just playing the troll. I really don't care one way or the other.)

2-1B
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I heard a rumor that the Star Wars in Concert TPM footage uses a CGI Yoda...dat true?

JediTricks
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
There is a huge difference. Movies on blu-ray look like they were filmed with a soap opera camera. :p

(I'm just playing the troll. I really don't care one way or the other.)
Actually, I think what you're seeing is the way some material looks on a 120hz HDTV, where frame to frame motion is smoothed so fast it looks unnatural. '60s through early '80s TV cameras used videotape rather than film recording and those tapes I think recorded at a 30fps framerate which gave them that same look - compare episodes of Newhart from the earliest season to later seasons and it's painfully obvious. There also seems to be a depth of field issue with those "soap opera" video cameras but that isn't something that will suffer on a 120hz HDTV.

Anyway, this is interesting but no date is dubious, if they wait much longer, the blu-ray medium will be supplanted by flash-media technology. I'm sick of the double-dipping, but I haven't yet watched SW on my HDTV either, so I may get suckered in 1 more time to the OT. There's zero chance I'll buy the PT again, of course, so I bet Lucas will pull a cheap stunt and force a set purchase.

Devo
04-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I guess Lucas must have been happy with the sales for Clone Wars and Indy IV. We heard that those were tests to see if the Blu-Ray market was ready for SW. :)

They felt the need to test the blu-ray market for the Star Wars films?? :rolleyes: okaaaaayyy

Beast
04-19-2010, 12:23 AM
They felt the need to test the blu-ray market for the Star Wars films?? :rolleyes: okaaaaayyy
Blu-Ray is still a fairly niche product. Christmas and price drops have made it more mainstream.

But your average Blu-Ray release still only sells about 25% on Blu-Ray. Give or take.

Avatar should be a huge title on Blu-Ray though. The current highest is 42% was Blu for T4.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2010, 01:11 AM
I heard a rumor that the Star Wars in Concert TPM footage uses a CGI Yoda...dat true?
Yup, dis true. I hope they do change it . . . that would make my midi-chlorians tingle with glee.

jedibear
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
I am...hesitant.

3. What will the price point be for the set? The recent LOTR set was pretty expensive, and only included the theatrical release, not the extended cuts, so, despite including an iTunes copy (which is one feature that usually locks me in for a sale), I passed.

4. Marketing, which Lucas has become notorious for will likely be all over this thing. I fear he will make an online interaction feature that will require membership in the fan club in order to access. Of course it will be marketed as "special exclusive content for fan club members" as opposed to "if you aren't a fan club member you can not access X, Y, and Z". :rolleyes:
(
1. We won't be seeing those old OT versions again...LFL threw us an old gnarled bone with those lame "bonus" discs in the last DVD release of the OT ripped from old laserdiscs...and they didn't even bother to present them in anamorphic, making them look even worse than they needed to...
2.Beast has got a point...as long as the proper care is taken transferring and encoding the OT movies (and Episode One), they should look great...
3. I am leery of the price point on these too...I don't see LFL being too generous here...it's six movies with a lot of rumored extras and possibly much of what extras have been presented on line and with previous sets...I'm thinking no less than $299 here...if not more...it's six movies and at least 3 (or more) discs of bonus material so...
4. Yeah, LFL will work this set to death and probably have exclusive content via the FC and website, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as basic as a glimpse into the new Live-action series...it's not too much of a stretch to think the BR could hit around the time of that show's launch...or at the very least when there's some solid images and info to tease fans with...but for the most part, it's gonna be an easy pass on "exclusive content" via the FC if it's anything like the lackluster "Hyperspace" stuff...

...And hopefully they replace the cruddy puppet of Yoda from TPM with a new CGI version.

That's all done. You can already see a sample of it on the extras of the ROTS DVD

...There's zero chance I'll buy the PT again, of course, so I bet Lucas will pull a cheap stunt and force a set purchase.

Oh yeah...it's a safe bet that it'll be a "all or nothing" set with the initial release...

...Avatar should be a huge title on Blu-Ray though. The current highest is 42% was Blu for T4.

Oh. I think SW could help move a lot of BR players....

Darkross
05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Didn't I read somewhere maybe on theforce.net website a while back that GL was remaking all 6 movies into 3-D? I suspect that we won't see blu-ray until after the 3-D versions are out in theatres. I am expecting a Blu-Ray announcement this summer at CV...but who knows. The OT DVD set came out in Sep 2004, so hopefully we won't have to wait through another Christmas to get them.

Of course...Spike and Teletoon are showing Star Wars marathons all the time these days. Used to be on once a year, and it was a big thing, not so special anymore. :(

JediTricks
05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Didn't I read somewhere maybe on theforce.net website a while back that GL was remaking all 6 movies into 3-D? I suspect that we won't see blu-ray until after the 3-D versions are out in theatres. I am expecting a Blu-Ray announcement this summer at CV...but who knows. The OT DVD set came out in Sep 2004, so hopefully we won't have to wait through another Christmas to get them.

Of course...Spike and Teletoon are showing Star Wars marathons all the time these days. Used to be on once a year, and it was a big thing, not so special anymore. :(
You may have read it on SSG, I posted an article that sourced a firm that converted 2d movies to 3d, they had a claimed timeline and everything, but nothing ever came of it.

DarkJedi5
05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Though, that was the first I'd heard about what would become a huge trend for films in 3D. At the time, it sounded like Lucas was going to do it to show everyone it could be done, now everyone's doing it. I kinda doubt GL would jump on the 3D bandwagon now that everyone is doing it. Especially considering how late to the DVD party he was.