PDA

View Full Version : Everything else: stuff that doesn't really warrant a thread of their own

El Chuxter
04-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Like I mentioned in another thread, I picked up one of those Secret Saturdays figures at Big Lots for custom fodder for a figure I'm making for my daughter. Some dude named Doyle. I've never watched the show. Most of Cartoon Network's original programming doesn't impress me much.

I opened him this morning to see what sort of work he would require. This figure is SH... I mean, POOP!! Really. Sculpt isn't bad, and represents what I've seen of the show's aesthetic rather well. Articulation is minimal. But the paint, jeez, it's awful. It makes McFarlane's collective input, and all the Endor Lukes, look wonderful. Interestingly, every surface that can be seen from the front of the sealed package looks great. It's the back that's all wonky, which is pathetic, since there's a total of three colors on most of his body.

I would not recommend this figure at all unless you plan to take it apart and repaint it.

JediTricks
04-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Everything I'm into has a thread here. Except Gundam, and Bandai made sure I have nothing new to talk about with that, not in the US.

Darth Jax
04-20-2010, 07:46 PM
this post doesn't warrant a thread of it's own.

Rocketboy
04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, I know of a toy line that doesn't really need it's own thread since most people here wouldn't care...Phineas & Ferb.

I've only seen them at Toys R Us, but I'm not sure if they're exclusives or not. They have a 4 pack consisting of Phineas, Ferb, Agent P & Doofenshmirtz that has a "Toys R Us Exclusive" sticker but the regular 2 packs don't have 'em. There are four different 2 packs total: Doof/Agent P (w/Ugly-inator Gun), Phineas/Ferb (basic, w/skateboard), Pineas/Ferb (Hawaiian, w/surfboard) & Phineas/Candace (on stage).

I bought the Doof/Agent P 2 pack for myself and sent Cappy's kids the Doof/Agent P and basic Phineas/Ferb for their birthday.

Nice sculpts, good paint apps, and fun accessories. Agent P looks a little bigger than he is on the show, but it seems like he had to be for the toy (or he'd be too small). Either that, or Doofensmirtz is too small - take your pick.

El Chuxter
04-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I did discover that the joints on the Doyle figure are made so that, even after heavy boiling, I was afraid removing limbs would result in ripping the plastic. I've cut off his really dorky mohawk. Without it, the figure actually doesn't look bad... from the front.

El Chuxter
05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Looks like McFarlane is making the figures for the Prince of Persia movie (which stars a white dude--can't wait to hear the outrage). I don't know what surprised me more: seeing McFarlane figures at Target, or seeing decently articulated 3.75" figures by them. The paint sucked, though, as expected.

Rocketboy
05-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Looks like McFarlane is making the figures for the Prince of Persia movie (which stars a white dude--can't wait to hear the outrage). I don't know what surprised me more: seeing McFarlane figures at Target, or seeing decently articulated 3.75" figures by them. The paint sucked, though, as expected.Apparently explained early in the flick.
I think someone the trailer also calls Jake Gyllenhall's character an "outsider."

El Chuxter
08-07-2010, 12:16 AM
The Prince of Persia horse is now about $3 at Target. I picked up one to try, since McFarlane is always so iffy. The horse is nice, though the articulation doesn't work. The cloak and weapons are nice. The figure, sculpt-wise, is actually light years beyond anything I've seen from McFarlane. Unfortunately, the paint is like everything else I've seen from McFarlane, and chips off badly when the figure moves.

For the weapons, cloak, and horse, I might drop another $3. Cobra Commander seems to be the sort of wackjob who'd like to parade on a horse.

Also, for about the same price, got something from The Last Airbender for my daughter to use with her SW and Joe figures. Some sort of beast called an "Appa." Articulation is minimal, but, aside from that, it's a very nice toy. Sort of weird, though--from the look of it, and what the box says, it's apparently a six-legged flying albino bison with a human face.

DarkArtist
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
picked up the TRU exclusive Mini-Mates Back to the Future Delorean with Marty McFly figure Saturday...great little set to display...now I just need to find a Doc Brown figure to put with it as well.

would really love to see a 3.75" line of Back to the Future.... that would be awesome.:thumbsup:

kool-aid killer
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Aside from the occasional Star Wars figure about the only toys i pick up now are Lego Castle and Harry Potter toys. Oddly, i've never bought a single Lego Star Wars product for myself. But there have been plenty of cool sets made that have tempted me. Anybody else a fan of Lego lines that arent Star Wars?

El Chuxter
07-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Did anyone ever make Captain EO action figures? I've got an idea for a start on a custom 3.75" EO figure, and Hooter could be made from a Max Rebo with some work, but the other figures I'm a bit lost on.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Well, I finally noticed Captain EO "stuff" for sale at Disneyland (stuffed animals, shirts, pins, etc.), so I wouldn't put toys far behind (like those park-exclusive 4 pack figure sets I've heard people buy).

p.s. A quick eoBay check found an auction titled "MICHAEL JACKSON DVD CAPTAIN EO!!!! ON DVD!!!" As if a DVD could be on VHS??? Or Laser Disk???