PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Republic Acclamator-Class Star Destroyer From AOTC?

Tycho
04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case A Republic Acclamator-Class Star Destroyer From AOTC). (Photo attached below)

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy A Republic Acclamator-Class Star Destroyer From AOTC?

This star destroyer would be fairly smaller than other models for the 3 3/4" figures, but not by far the smallest star destroyer (try The Demolisher from Star Wars: Droids - a Gladiator-Class used by the pirate Kybo Ren-Cha - possibly polled for later in an EU selection).

I envision this vehicle would be one of the more expensive toys Hasbro ever produces costing collectors at least $150 or more. Those of you who buy SideShow or Hot Toys figures, don't balk just yet. PRICE might not be your concern if this could actually happen.

I am all for capital ship playsets looking like the capital ships on their outside. This is the way I designed my custom Tantive IV, and why the old Kenner Star Destroyer bridge playset never inspired me (I bought the vintage as an adult visiting a toy dealer's, but convinced the owner to take my return for a full refund as I gravely disliked this set).

Now size is another matter. Remember the GI Joe U.S.S. Flag aircraft carrier toy made in the 80's? OK, well this Republic Star Destroyer should be at least 5 feet or more long. This vehicle could be very similar in design to what LEGO has recently released for the ROTS Republic Star Destroyer, and open up for an entirely off-scale play environment.

At the top of the neck, in the command tower, will be the bridge, with space for double-decks so the clones or officers can man the crew pits. A Jedi and Admiral Yularen, or Vader, Palpatine, and Tarkin can walk the command walk above them and up to the front windows.

The neck could be accessable in this one. Like the Imperial Star Destroyer design I proposed, you could place an elevator operated like the old Kenner Death Star Playset's one here.

Inside the main hull should be room for a Delta Jedi Starfighter to dock. This Destroyer launches its ships from the bottom, so the ship would have to have closing landing bay doors so when it sits flat on the floor, you can have the ship's own deck beneath the fighter for the pilot and crew to walk toward it on. Forget the Republic Gunship or AT-TE going aboard -they're too big.

A vehicle maintainance energizer (think back to the vintage accessory sets) could be included though.

Behind the docking bay on one side should be the prisoner brig. There should be a cell block (like Leia's on the Death Star) with one prisoner cell, an escape hatch for play, a command station (like the one Luke and Han took over where they had "a slight weapons malfunction").

On the other side, an escape pod that holds 2-4 figures might be able to launch.

Along the side decks (upper walkways going towards the front of the ship) will be gunner stations where AT-TE Gunner figures man 2-3 double-barreled turbolasers on either side of the ship. They'll launch missiles (2 each) for 8-12 firing missiles for the kids (and myself) to play with.

The ship may or may not include electronic sounds and lights. A holographic tactical table and or holograms of Palpatine, Yoda, and Mace would be cool!

The market for this toy could be both high-end Star Wars collectors (who also happen to want to dedicate a 5 foot space for this in their house) and kids with very generous family, all who would buy a lot of Clone Troopers.

Do you want this made?

Would you spend $150 for something like this? More?

Are you seriously capable of it, or just talking?

Do you already buy SideShow, Medicom, Attikus, or Hot Toys products that approach or exceede this price range. (It was $400 for SideShow's Jabba, throne, and Bubo and Salacious creature packs - now more if you add the alcove with Han Solo in carbonite). If you own these items, are you OK with the price of the Acclamator-Class Star Destroyer as I'm suggesting?

How big of problem is having the space to own this ship? Why is it a problem? Is the space-for-it-issue at all because of WHICH SHIP I'm discussing? (In other words, would you buy a different ship from Star Wars that's this size and around this price instead? Which one?)

What other features would you want on a Republic Star Destroyer that I have not described?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Do you think Hasbro (or even a different company like SideShow) could make this and start out by taking pre-orders with non-refundable deposits on the ship, say for like $50 to $100? Then either go into production, beyond the prototype, or refund the deposits if the ship needs to be cancelled?

This vehicle is not seen as often as its larger counter-part from Clone Wars and ROTS. Would you like to see more appearance of the Acclamator-Class assault ship?

El Chuxter
04-21-2010, 04:13 PM
It might sound counterintuitive based on my tastes and previous answers, but this is one I would actually consider if it were priced fairly for what you get.

JediTricks
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
No. Triangular ships are going to be compromised on interior space, so if it were the same length and height as the existing $150 Millennium Falcon, it would have less interior room than the Falcon and that would all be at the very rear quarter, 75% forward of that would be useless. And unlike the Falcon, this thing wouldn't have an interesting figure-interacting exterior.

And to boot, it's not in a lot of the entertainment, it's a fairly under-used ship.

Fat Valentino
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I would buy it. Especially if the interior had the kind of very general "OT Imperial" design aesthetic you've described.

I'd expect to pay $200 (or more) for such a playset, but I'd be much more excited if it was a Classic Star Destroyer or a Republic Star Destroyer from Clone Wars.

Honestly, it wouldn't have to be five feet long...

DarkJedi5
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
No. I would not consider a capital ship.

Darth Jax
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
i already have, and i'm quite satisfied with the LEGO offering. i don't want this ship (but would buy a star destroyer).

bigbarada
04-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I liked this ship and I don't know why I didn't buy the Action Fleet version when I had the chance back in 2002. However, I would not buy a 3 3/4" version.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
If they're going to make a Star Destroyer, then I'd rather they do an OT or ROTS one instead. But they're not, so no.

Devo
04-21-2010, 09:38 PM
An OT star destroyer made in the minimalist way that they would likely make such a thing could very well get a Yes from me (and probably did). A PT star destroyer just wouldn't be a priority. I mean if they made one of these having not made an OT one I'd be completely shocked but if I saw it and thought 'hmm, maybe that interior could be useful for an OT display' I might consider buying it if I thought the OT destroyer wasn't going to happen. But thats an unlikely scenario. If Hasbro ever decide to do a capital starship I just can't see it not being an OT Imperial Star Destroyer. The PT ones just aren't iconic.

I'll repeat what I've always said about the hypothetical Star destroyer toy - I wouldn't care about its scale relative to other ships, all I'd care about would be that it would be sufficiently big to house a good approximation of the Executor bridge. No need for any more but anything less is what could turn my Yes into a no.

For this PT one though I suppose I would say No as my answer. Not a guaranteed no if that aforementioned unlikely scenario arose but a probable one

DarkArtist
04-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I think i would pass on this one. now if Hasbro were to perhaps do something like the old Action Fleet line and make a collectors series of Capital ships that were sorta in scale with each other then I would buy a few. of course that would mean that they would also have to make other capital ships for the line to be a success

Tycho
04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
A really good capital ship line in a micro scale would have capital ships (not for figures) up to the size of the turbotank, and then scaled down to Micromachine size for the fighters and speeders.

At the size of the TurboTank or BMF would be a Super Star Destroyer.

About the size of those miniature game pieces would be X-wings and TIEs, with Republic Gunships being a little larger and such.

I must confess, if a whole collection of everything you see on screen were available like this, I would probably buy.

No, I didn't do Titaniums, and I only bought like 3 Action Fleet, but this kind of collection would be different. You could set up starfighters fighting above the Executor or the Revenue, and so forth.

Tycho
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
The Acclamator Class Star Destroyer loses 3 against 7.

This poll didn't get many voters participating.

The only Star Destroyer to win was the Republic version now seen in Clone Wars.

The Imperial Star Destroyer lost by 1 vote. However, I don't consider ties as "wining the votes" either, considering how few we have participating here anyway.

The Gungan Submarine was one that tied and I also wish had outright won.

The Republic Star Destroyer had won 8-5. Not many participating either, but nevertheless, a victory.

The Imperial Star Destroyer had lost 9-10, though the vote count may have since changed (as with the Republic Star Destroyer).