PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing my 3 3/4"collection never felt so good!

AmanaMatt
04-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey everyone.....! Just moved to a new place and told myself that my carded figure collection would get downsized enough to fit in a small walk in closet (using a guest room as my 'Geek room')

I had 35 long boxes normally used for comics....i downsized it to 17...so about 50% Dumped most of the first 5 waves of figures - kept just the original trilogy stuff with some exceptions....got rid of 98% of the prequel figs and all clone wars stuff - have some of it loose only

Damn, felt good to do that...now, gotta see if Toys for Tots does a year round pick up!

Ever just get to that point where the hobby overtakes you? Still love collecting...and am pumped for the new Vintage wave this year, but love the fact that I actually have room to pick some pieces up that I will truly dig!

Tycho
04-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I have 2 storage units full, and I've been renting a neighboring unit (my 3rd one) to sort and inventory the other 2. I will be finished by June.

That feels good. I will know what I have for my dioramas and what I could still use (or what I want Hasbro to make that doesn't exist yet - like Cliegg Lars and Jocasta Nu action figures for exciting recreations of farm work and library research in the 3 3/4" action figure scale!).

The same goes with 12". How a Sideshow Bacara and Galactic Marine would rock!

Yeah, I'm nearing the end of my collecting days I think. The new stuff looks great, but I've really amassed most of what I've always wanted. So I'm good.

Devo
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
I've never done this so I have no clue how I'd feel after the fact.

I do have some things that I definitely know I wouldn't miss and the rest of my stuff probably has different degrees of personal importance. Most important to me is my OT Star Wars stuff and my Terminator, predator, Alien and Robocop stuff from various companies - then my Hot Toys Batman and other superhero figures....below those my PT Star Wars stuff, and everything else I've bought over the years. So if I were to offload anything it'd first be those least important things obviously...but do I want to do that? Not right now.

morpheus282
04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
I've done three significant downsizes and they've all felt pretty good. The first one in 2000 when I went through a major career change. I got rid of a lot of things then that I ended forgetting about getting rid of. The second was in 2002 when I moved to another state. The third was in 2005 rright before I got married - had to make room for a family. About two years ago when my step-daughter decided she liked Star Wars I gave her a lot of the old POTF figures I still had. Each time I run across stuff I forgot I bought and really don't care for anymore. I'm about due for a downsize again. There's a lot I really don't want to part with, but with a new son I figure I'll just put the overflow in the garage until he's old enough to play with it.

I'll never reach Tycho's two storage units, but I don't know if it's because I have a hardwired spending limit in my brain or if I'm not dedicated enough to the hobby. Either way, I'd like to spend a weekend helping Tycho sort. :D

Neuroleptic
04-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I had most of the power of the force 2 line of figures. Then, about 4 years ago I decided to get rid of my entier packaged figure collection, aside for a few vintage figues I have, and collect a select few figues a year both to save room and spend less. I have a book shelf, and three small shelves in the living room.

I enjoy my collection a lot more now. If I can't display it, I either don't get it or I get rid of it. I'v never regretteded downsizing my collection, and I tend to take a look at it every year. I ask myself if I still like this and that figure. If I don't, I sell it at a yard sale, on e-bay, or give it to my kid.

Perhaps some day I'll expand how much room I have to display things. However, I have yet to fill my space despite it being many times smaller than it used to be.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I still enjoy getting each new figure, though I'm not as passionate about the Clone Wars line. I probably wouldn't miss most of those. I've kind of reached the breaking point on vehicles, especially prequel ones. I probably wouldn't mind getting rid of most of the Jedi Starfighters I have. The Titanium Series versions would suffice for me.

I've opened almost all of my basic figures now. Other than duplicates of the Vintage Style line, the TAC concept figures, and a few duplicates, I think they are all open. They take up a lot less space in the storage drawers I have put them in.

AmanaMatt
04-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the responses...i've enjoyed reading this thread.....I still have hundreds of fig, but something like this today really reinvegorates my passion for the hobby......I just am more and more a loose collector.....just all around easier.

JediTricks
04-26-2010, 04:50 AM
While I open all my figures, the last 3 years I've been leaving them on cards after cutting the bubbles open and then putting them back on cards for storage as I didn't have space to put them up. Twice in the last year I've tossed out much of that packaging, the second time about 2 weeks ago, and the amount of space that alone saved was amazing. 4 garbage bags full of cards and bubbles (I saved some bubbles for storage of figures that were too delicate to go into the zip-top loose figure and loose accessory bags) went out last time, it was most impressive and it felt great.

A nice side-effect is I got to experience those figures again after a few years, and that's always fun. Some figures don't hold up as well to scrutiny, others have captured my affections in the years.

I still need to get rid of a lot of my POTF2 duplicates, but I really don't know how at this point. If I thought kids would like them, I'd drive them down to LA Childrens Hospital right now, but I don't know what kids would make of half a dozen Tarkins I bought for $1 each.

DarkArtist
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm actually thinking of doing something like this along the lines of finding the definative versions of the main characters and then donating the rest of the figures to perhaps a local charity or summer camp or maybe trying to sell them at a yard sale or something. not sure yet how.

I did sell off a large amount of carded figures a few years back at a community yard sale and it felt good to sorta have some room for new stuff.

Daryl VayDar
04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Over the last few years, I've downsized quite a bit. I went the "definitive version" route, and looked at how many of each character I needed for my displays.

For example, Chewbacca:
1 Hoth, 2 for the BMF(1 pilot, 1 Mynock), 1 Endor, 1 Jabba's Palace, 2 for the Death Star (1 Trash Compactor, 1 general use)- I think that's it.

I did that with all of the major characters, and ended up with dozens(likely well over a hundred) of extra loose figures. I then sorted the non-main characters the same way and added many figures to the pile.

I ended up doing a few rounds of ebay auctions that I made as attractive as possible by offering .99 starting bids and free shipping with a certain number of figures. In most cases, I sold everything I listed and at least made a bit of money back on the initial purchases...

But back to the original post/though- yes, it has been a VERY liberating process and helped me get excited about new stuff again instead of feeling overwhelmed by it all!

Tycho
04-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Either way, I'd like to spend a weekend helping Tycho sort. :D

Please come and join me. You don't have to work, just keep me company.

Then we can both look and recall stuff from the years' past.

While I open all my figures, the last 3 years I've been leaving them on cards after cutting the bubbles open and then putting them back on cards for storage

I have always done this. The figures don't necessarily need to be displayed with all their accessories, so this helps organize and store them (and I don't even need to make labels for plastic bags).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I think I'm too far into the hobby to ever do anything like this. Even if some older figures aren't as good as the newer ones, I still love them all, at least for sentimental/"historical" reasons. Even with a large room dedicated to nothing but my collection, it's not enough room, though instead of downsizing my collection, I'll just upsize the space for it. :D

Devo
04-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Its been almost 2 years since I had shelves for my collection so at this point I'm not actually sure how much space my collection requires! I know I bought a heck of a lot last year. The space I used to have in the previous house would almost certainly not be enough for everything I have now - or at least things would be incredibly cramped and unattractively displayed. When I can finally get my shelves built in the new room I should have significantly more shelf space than I had before...but I don't know how much of it will be used up by my collection as it stands now or whether or not I'll have space to spare for new stuff I don't have yet.

I did carry out a purge on packaging and boxes a couple of years ago and that felt good. I realised that I'm more than likely not going to sell anything so I really didn't need to keep a lot of what I was keeping. So I removed the bubbles from all the figure boxes and just saved the front sheets of the blisters, taped them to the cards with any inserts retained inside and I was satisfied with how that preserved the essence of the figure boxes while compacting them into much easier to manage piles. I also threw out all the innards of vehicle boxes and opened them out and flattened them.

bigbarada
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I did a big purging of everything Star Wars related from 2002-2003. I had been collecting for several years and had an entire room filled with boxes of toys. It was so full that I had just enough space to squeeze between the boxes to get to my bed. Of that first big purge, only my Ephant Mon figure remains. Everything else was sold, given away or just thrown in the garbage. I don't miss any of it.

Since then, I've downsized my collection quite a few times. Only now I use Ebay and just sell everything off in big lots. The most significant of those was in 2008, when I was forced to sell of my entire vintage collection to make ends meat when the economy went south and I didn't really start collecting in full force again until July of 2009.

I'm actually in need of another downsizing right now just from the toys I've bought since last summer. As of this moment, my collection takes up one coffee table, two small end tables, the top of my dresser, and a few shelves in my closet (I've also got some SW Lego sets invading my roommate's nativity scene on the fireplace mantle). I would like to get it back down to just one end table (for the BMF) and the coffee table if possible.

AmanaMatt
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
It sounds like some of your collections were/are much larger than mine. I, too, am going the 'definitive version with exceptions' route

I did keep the first removable helmet vader and the last removable helmet, but have just one ANH Leia, Luke, Han, etc.

I did have fun reorganizing the vintage-esque Saga cards, and the VTSC lines....still loves those the much....so, I will probably be getting a lot of the upcoming vintage line

JediTricks
05-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I have always done this. The figures don't necessarily need to be displayed with all their accessories, so this helps organize and store them (and I don't even need to make labels for plastic bags).All my figures are in 1 bag though, not individually bagged.

Devo
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
My figures are all loose together in boxes with many sheets of bubblewrap seperating different layers - heavier figures on the bottom, lighter warpable figures on top. As for the accessories? All jumbled in there. I don't really care what figure has what gun for the most part. I'm not buying these things with the intention of selling them so I'm not keeping track of what comes with what. My Empire Strikes Back box is tiny and most of the figures in there are repeated characters and multiples of a particular figure. Not as diverse as the ANH and ROTJ collections.

bigbarada
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I have two different levels of storage for the figures I'm not displaying. I have a small box (about twice the size of a shoebox) for most of my figures, then I have three of those plastic fishing tackle cases, which hold roughly 12 figures apiece. Two of those are for my vintage figures and only one is for my modern figures (even though 4 of those 12 slots are taken up by vintage figures also). So, they are kind of privileged slots reserved for only my most favorite figures.

When I buy a new figure that I really like, then I display it for a while, usually forcing an older figure into storage. Those figures will either end up in the storage case (which forces another figure into "the box"), or the box depending on how much I like them. When the box gets too full, then I usually sell off a big section of it (or all of it) on Ebay as a mixed lot.

I find that strictly limiting the amount of space that my Star Wars collection is allowed to take up weeds out the good, very good and great figures, leaving me only with what I consider to be the absolute best-of-the-best of the entire line (although some figures are sentimental favorites and that has nothing to do with their actual quality).

Droid
05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
I allow myself to buy the updates of the characters I like, which keeps the hobby fun for me. It isn't fun to never buy any figures. (Doesn't the current dry spell stink?) But then I force myself to get rid of one of the many inferior versions of the character I have.

In recent years I started getting rid of characters I didn't care about, from scenes I would never recreate. I got rid of Dexter and getting rid of that kind of character freed me from ever buying characters like Jocasta or Dorme.

I have a small container by movie or scene. For example, I have an Endor box. The boxes are pretty full and so as a rule if I buy a new figure I'll get rid of one or two so that the Endor stuff stays in the one box.

I bought so much from 1995 until 2002 that I have probably gotten rid of thousands of figures without ever having to make a hard choice. (Wish I had the money back, but I stopped allowing myself to feel bad about that years ago.)

I am a happier collector these days, only buying what I want and almost never buying more than one or two of any one figure.

morpheus282
05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Judging from what I've seen about figure storage so far, I think I must be one of the few remaining collectors that still uses the Kenner/Hasbro cases. I've probably got at least four of the Vaders, three 3POs, two of the Millenium Falcon, and a vintage vynil case in addition to a couple of large rubbermaid containers that I use for beasts, vehicles, and any figures that won't fit in the cases.

I'm with Droid, I very seldom buy more than one of any character that isn't an army builder. The exception to this was the slave Leia that came out last year.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-04-2010, 01:39 AM
I bought the Vader and C-3PO cases from the OTC line, but since the two sides fold onto each other, it didn't seem like it would be very good in keeping the weapons in their place. I still have the vintage vinyl case with the two trays that I keep my vintage figures in.

Fat Valentino
05-04-2010, 02:21 AM
I bought a bunch of particle wood CD/DVD sized "card catalogue" drawers about two years ago. They are 13 inches cubed, and can lock into each other to make a very secure stack. Each 13 inch unit is configured either 4 drawers (2 x 2) or 3 (shorter) drawers high. I keep my Galactic Heroes, Indiana Jones Adventure Heroes, Playmates Star Trek and Galoob Micro Collection in these, as well as a few more drawers of "space" and "robot" type toys. I try to store the figures standing up, but packed pretty tightly. Also all my custom supplies (paints, mold-making materials, and sculpting resins) and some electronics live there...:tired:

nohagent
05-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Honestly, I feel like a fool for so much of the waste in my life. The money spent since 1995, the hours spent hunting, the gas and mileage. All for what? Yes I enjoyed the hobby, but probably too much. The days I do look forward to passing all my carded figures to my son to play with but then I feel like I am spoiling him or that others think I am a bad parent for spoiling him. I have way more items sitting in boxes never opened that I ever recieved to play with as a child and as I child I thought I had everything, except for the death star anyway. I feel like tossing everything but then feel I will regret it, feel like selling it to see what crumbs I can get back but then think I would get more fun watching them being played with than getting .99 a figure. Of course my kid only has two hands, and most of the figures are not assosciated with "Clone Wars" which I enjoy watching with my kid. hmmm... I really dont know what to do but I can definitely say I am tired of the boxes in my garage and tired of the fear that if I dont buy it now I may never see it retail again, which in fact has happened to me countless times. I feel that I have placed too much of my life into this and have missed out on a great many things I could have done otherwise. Right now I am considering whether or not to do celebration V with my son. Is it really worth it to me, I want to, but at what cost. It really ****es my off that it will be in Orlando of all places, whose damned idea was that, its CV or Disneyworld, not both, who can afford that in this economy. Oh well, the honest truth is that back in the 90's when I returned all of my action fleet before the return period was up that I just should have stop the figures as well. I think the biggest issue for me as time progressed was that I felt that I was so invested in it that it would wrong to stop and have only a partial collection, well, I think now that as long as hasbro is in business that we all will only have partial collections so why not just stop now, well except for tycho anyway.

Neuroleptic
05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Nohagent, when you feel like that, it's time to downsize and pick a section you want to focus on. What you do is you pick a few favorites from your current selection, a limited display area, and sell the rest. I think everyone who's done that feels while they're doing it that it's insanely hard, but honestly? Once that stuff's gone, you love the hobby and yourself lot more.

Droid
05-04-2010, 11:09 AM
nohagent, I have totally been where you are. Overwhelmed and depressed by my collection. I even did a thread about it, which I think I called "are you ever depressed by your collection" or something.

I bought an overwhelming amount of stuff between '95 and '02. It was not a happy time in my life. I put all of my resources and free time into collecting. But I have stopped beating myself up about that because I realize that I would have been unhappy whether I was collecting or not. At least this way I came out of it with some toys I really like as opposed to having abused alcohol or drugs, dropped out of school, broken the law or hurt myself. Luckily I never went into debt for my collection, which would be hard to be dealing with now.

I probably reduced my collection by at least 50%. I stopped being a completist. If I get new figures, I try to get rid of some others. I am an opener. It was all very liberating and once again allowed me to enjoy the hobby.

People can do whatever is right for them, but I think it is a mistake to take an all or nothing approach - I'll buy everything or stop buying new product all together. I'll keep it all or throw it all in the trash.

Weeding it out selectively can actually be fun.

And as mentioned, some people pick either the original trilogy or prequels to focus on. Some pick one film. Some do only clones, aliens, or droids. Focusing can be a good way to really enjoy what you have in your collection.

Fat Valentino
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Some people collect art, some people buy expensive motorcycles, a few thousand dollars is all lost to time, like tears in rain. :cry: I think that I'm going to continue to collect the Galactic Heroes scale, and I'll probably try to complete the figure collection, if not the vehicles. The plan is to someday hang large, shallow shelving units on a blank wall, and display the Galactic Heroes and Playmates Classic 60's Star Trek collection in an open curio box. Maybe when I buy a house of my own, which I might have done by now if I had prioritized my effort/energy differently lo these past ten years...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
You can only lament the past for so long. To paraphrase the Jedi - Keep your thoughts here and now where they belong. If you feel this has become less of a hobby and more of a burden, then obviously something went wrong and you need to make a change.

As Droid said, you can pick one area you like best and focus on it. The other day I met a guy working at the flea market who was saying how he only collects troopers now and enjoys it a lot more. A friend of mine used to collect but had to stop when it got to be too much, but he says he wants to someday focus on getting a set of the vintage figures as there's already a set number of them and it's a goal that can be accomplished.

If you're worried about not being able to get some items back if you regret it, cruise eBay a bit and see how cheap some once-valuable things now are (I finally got the 2003 Super Poseable Clone Trooper, sans foot pegs, for $6 after years of seeing it for over $30). If you get rid of stuff and later regret it, it can likely be easily re-purchased. You could also check to see what's more rare or valuable in your own collection, and see if that helps you to keep it.

When they were pumping out the EU stuff left and right over the last few years, the thought of not getting everything crossed my mind. Luckily for me, though, the EU stuff is basically done after the TRU exclusives, so that means I AM going to stop getting so much of that. :p But I'd hate for this to ever feel like a chore rather than a hobby, and if it does, then I would have to rethink it.

Ando
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
When I started collecting hardcore back in late 2005, my goal was to assemble a plastic, 3 3/4" clone army collection and at the end of 2009, "mission accomplished".

I bought multiple vehicles as well: JSF's in every color, multiple V Wings, V 19's, ARC-170's, Republic Gunships, etc.

And I always purchased them with the intent to give them to my nephews (and future nieces and my own children) and keep a portion for display when my wife and I have a large enough house to not get in her way or overtake the more public areas of the house.

Now that my oldest nephew (sister's kid) has just turned 5, I have started to "bequeath" my clone army away. For his birthday a couple weeks ago he got an unopened Republic Fighter Tank. It was 1 of the 6 that I bought last year, and another one is at my mom and dad's so that the grandkids have cool stuff to play with when they visit.

I am hoping that I bought enough vehicles and clones so that if/when my 2 brothers and my wife's 2 brothers all have kids, there will be enough of "Uncle Andy's collection" to go around.

I have all but moved on to Lego's and Galactic Heroes at this point. They're more fun to me and the collecting aspect is less cutthroat and all.

I still plan on getting a new AT-AT (and the rumored Slave I), but if I don't, I won't feel too bad. There's other stuff I could and should spend my money on (like my wife), instead of my plastic armies that I keep in storage in my basement that I never get to look at (by choice).

The last two times I got (almost) everything (vehicles) out to show to a friend's son on his birthday, and to photograph, it took an entire Saturday to haul up, unpack, assemble, display, break down, put away, haul back down. The next time I do that it will be to set up semi-permanently.

bigbarada
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
People can do whatever is right for them, but I think it is a mistake to take an all or nothing approach - I'll buy everything or stop buying new product all together. I'll keep it all or throw it all in the trash.

100% agree. I've never really understood the "all or nothing" approach to collecting. Seems like that would suck all the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby quicker than anything else.

AmanaMatt
05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree as well. The 'all or nothing' approach didnt work for me after a few years....went the niche route......i pretty much focus on OTC.....

Devo
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Every year I say I'm done with the PT, then Hasbros latest Episode I or II figures lure me back in. Either the prospects of tonnes of new OT stuff coming out and the cost of all that or the newest onslaught of Hot Toys figures, taking my attention completely off Star Wars, make me think that something has to give - and I always say 'clearly the PT toys have to be one thing to go'...then Hasbro shows some new figures.

ROTS figures however hold little to no appeal to me -ever. With exception of great versions of the core characters I find it easy to avoid ROTS stuff such is my epic disapproval of that film.

bigbarada
05-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Every year I say I'm done with the PT, then Hasbros latest Episode I or II figures lure me back in. Either the prospects of tonnes of new OT stuff coming out and the cost of all that or the newest onslaught of Hot Toys figures, taking my attention completely off Star Wars, make me think that something has to give - and I always say 'clearly the PT toys have to be one thing to go'...then Hasbro shows some new figures.

ROTS figures however hold little to no appeal to me -ever. With exception of great versions of the core characters I find it easy to avoid ROTS stuff such is my epic disapproval of that film.

I got rid of all my Ep1 and 2 prequel figures back in 2003, but I've purchased a few figures here and there when I get an idea for a cool display. The most recent, big prequel toy purchase was when the AT-TE came out. But I ended up giving the vehicle away when I got the BMF and just didn't want to devote the space to displaying both of them.

I did buy Rum Sleg last year (then traded him to JT for the grey Ugnaught), Concept Ki-Adi Mundi (only for the droid part), and Honda Ohnaka a couple months ago, but I don't think buying one figure here and there really qualifies as "collecting."

As it stands right now, the OT had over 20 years to firmly entrench itself into my psyche during the formative years of my life. The prequels are just some mildly entertaining movies that I watched a few years ago. There is no real emotional investment for me, so it's easy to see prequel related merchandise as disposal and ultimately worthless.

dindae
05-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I was full bore back years ago getting loose and card and all the variants. For years this was fine because there weren't that many variants and until the Hall of Fame Line there weren't many repacks. But then I started feeling ripped off by Hasbro because "they were gouging me for money". Due to that, running out of room, and getting ripped off by Kebco toys for a bunch of preorders I stopped collecting on card altogether. I sold my whole carded collection to Brian's toys for $2500 which was probably around $3 a figure. Immediately I enjoyed collecting again. I still was keeping a complete loose collection. That stopped right after the Mandolorian packs. I got those in the mail and opened them and was like "Why the hell did I buy these?". So now I ask that question before hand and if I don't have an answer I don't buy it. However now it seems that Hasbro is doing the job for me. They cancelled Titanium, Comic Packs, and Evolutions. I don't collect Clone Wars and Galactic Heores (since I got fed up with multipacks having 2 new figures early on). So now it is pretty sparse. I figure for the years between 99 and 03 I bought about roughly 150 figures a year and now maybe 40 this year. As far as storage I have one storage closet for each movie in my garage. I have a some EU figures in my computer since I don't really have a spot picked out for them. I plan on making some shelves for some ships (like jedi starfighters and republic gunships) so I can free up some space in some of the cabinets.

bigbarada
05-11-2010, 07:13 PM
But then I started feeling ripped off by Hasbro because "they were gouging me for money".

I tried collecting everything for a short period of time and I found that I would frequently start to think this way. Even though Hasbro has nothing to do with it (they just want to sell toys and make money), I found myself feeling resentful that they were "forcing" me to spend money. Which is ridiculous, the only person forcing me to spend money on Star Wars toys was me.

After only a few months of being a completist, I gave up on it because I would spend every penny in my bank account on new stuff, which caused me to miss out on more new stuff later on, then I would have to spend all of my next paycheck trying to catch up on the stuff I missed, which then caused me to miss out on the newest stuff. It was a horrible, never-ending cycle and it was probably the most miserable I have ever been as a Star Wars collector.

Ando
05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I have backed WAY WAY WAY down on my Star Wars collecting and I feel much better about it. I have a new rule that has helped me cut back: If I find at least 3-4 figures that I want at the same time, I get them. If there's only 1 or 2, I leave them.

And since my wife just lost her job last Friday afternoon, collecting ANYTHING (I also collect pocket knives and other misc. stuff) will probably be curtailed until she finds a new job.

Darth Jax
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
exclusives and the ever increasing repacks broke me of completist urges. target exclusives are easy enough to come by. while there is a kmart nearby, i never venture into it. WM is a blackhole for exclusives near me. there isn't a TRU nearby. i just won't drive all over the state to try to find an exclusive (and since they are more expensive they should offer more value, rather than typically less). if i manage to find a wave of figures i'll pick them up, if not i don't miss them (since i've never seen them). most of my figures are in boxes or closets due to lack of space to display them.

eventually i'll move into (and own) a bigger place and then i'll start devise display strategies. i'm sure many of the figures i have won't make the cut at that time and i'll downsize. but until i have an idea of how much space i'll be allotting for display and the manner in which they will be displayed they stay carded and boxed. when i run out of space to even store them, then i may downsize some - but that's unlikely. aside from the large vehicles, i'm buying fewer figures and hardly any vehicles now.

dindae
05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I tried collecting everything for a short period of time and I found that I would frequently start to think this way. Even though Hasbro has nothing to do with it (they just want to sell toys and make money), I found myself feeling resentful that they were "forcing" me to spend money. Which is ridiculous, the only person forcing me to spend money on Star Wars toys was me.

Exactly and really after the first scaling back the rest were not even hard decisions.