PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Trade Federation Droid Control Ship For 3 3/4" Figures?

Tycho
04-26-2010, 02:29 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

I'm running what should really be a TPM poll as a ROTS option because quite frankly, ROTS will run out of options for new vehicles much earlier than the other two Prequel movies.

The Droid Control Ships appeared in all 3 PT movies, but we really saw the craft explored in TPM, so I'm going to describe the toy as if it were made from that movie. Whether on not it bears the CIS markings the similar ship displayed in ROTS can be up to you when you post.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case The Droid Control Ship).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Droid Control Ship From ROTS?

This vehicle is perhaps only the wildest pipe dream, but it appeared in the movie and there is nothing else like it, so I have to poll for it.

In fact, with ignoring cost, packaging, and the size of the area a collector would need to display this ship, I came up with a pretty cool design for a capital ship toy made for this.

I need to address the packaging first perhaps. It will help you visualize this.

The ship will sell in a box about the size of a detolf (display case sold at IKEA) or it could be packaged in one of those boxes appropriate for a child's 1:1 play kitchen environment.

The ship would be disasembled and comprise of 4 partial circular sections, that plug together - two on each side of an engine assembly in the back.

Opposite the engine assembly, on the inside, the "spherical center section" of the ship would connect. Now you have the basic shape.

The center sphere would open up like a garbage can. Inside, there would be the bridge. Perhaps electronics would light up a hologram of Darth Sidious and a display screen featuring Queen Amidala. The bridge would look like the movie, including a command chair for the SA Tey How figure we need to sit down in. Blue Battle Droids could occupy other stations.

Along each section of the ring, a panel would open towards the back of the ship on hinges, so you can get into the interior. The hollow inside would be just wide enough for an AAT Tank or to fly in the N-1 Starfighter. Meanwhile, Vulture Droid Fighters could hang on the walls. In the back would be the blast doors that close off the bridge and a way to swap the pannels so you can simulate Qui-Gon's lightsaber damage. Opposite it, a "reactor core" could pop up and slit apart to simulate a hit on the reactor core. If electronic, the rear engines could light up. On top, the quad cannons could fire plastic missiles.

That would be about it, with the addition of an escape hatch somewhere aboard.

I don't know what this thing would retail for. It would be quite large, but rather holo re-using the hull ring piece two times over for each side.

Do you want the Droid Control Ship made?

How do you think this would sell if produced?

Should they use this vehicle more Clone Wars, helping it sell?

JediTricks
04-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Yay, I'm the first to say NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

Galoob made several playsets of it, they were all deadly dull. It's a boring ship, it's a capital ship, and it's a boring capital ship. That all spells "N" and then "O" and then "WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS WHEN IT'S THAT OBVIOUS?!?"

DarkJedi5
04-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Nope, never, not gonna happen.

Darth Jax
04-26-2010, 08:28 AM
No. No. No.

bigbarada
04-26-2010, 08:33 AM
No way would I buy this and no way would it ever get made in 3 3/4" scale.

Darth Metalmute
04-26-2010, 08:52 AM
It's never going to happen at a scale size.

However, I might be interested in a mini-rig/small vehicle sized version.

Fits one figure, has shooting missles, etc.....

On second thought, that sounds stupid.

mtriv73
04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Nope, wouldn't even consider it.

DarkArtist
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd have to pass as it would never be accurate, in scale and would be way too expensive.

now if they made a subline of very detailed, prop quality scaled vehicles that range in price from lets say $50 for a Death Star and a Super Star Destroyer to $15 for a nice scaled X-Wing to TIE Fighter

Tycho
04-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I think we discussed that a bit in the Acclamator Star Destroyer thread. Why not continue the conversation here - about a new line of Star Wars toys, similar to Action Fleet or Titanium, but with everything SCALED to one another.

The Trade Federation Droid Control Ship would be the size of the BMF perhaps, with Titanium sized N-1 Starfighters and Vulture Fighter Droids.

I could live with there being NO (none) (zero) action figures for this toy line because the figures would have to be scaled to the Titanium sized N-1 fighters.

When I trim my nails, pieces fall off my fingers that are larger than those figures would be!

So just the ships.

Some of the Titanium fans around here rib me once in a while because I do not buy that line.

This is the way I'd go clamoring for it.

Discuss this idea as it is, but remember the thread is also about making a Droid Control Ship for the 3 3/4" figures.

By the way, I'd spend up to $300 for such a vehicle, obviously out of scale for the figures, but capable of holding them and some vehicles (AATs and an N-1, plus the original size Vulture Droid Fighters).

And this thing (out of scale) would be about the size of a for-4-seating round breakfast table or a junior kiddie pool!

It would have to replace a coffee table in a home. Perhaps the flip-up panels that let you access interior play would feature magazine racks and drink holders on the reverse side?

DarkJedi5
04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Per Tycho's new question:

I'm the worst person in the world for a line like that. I would love to see it but I'd never buy very much. I loved action fleet but somehow never really got into the titaniums. If the vehicles were all scaled to each other that would be really cool and I'd buy all of the fighters and things of that sort but I still would never pay full price for the capital ships. Scale was always the biggest problem with the Action Fleet line. Things were relatively scaled but I felt some vehicles were just wrong (like the Falcon which I never bought because I had the Micro Machines foldout play set which was a better scale for the other ships). Probably why I didn't buy titaniums, the scale issues were even worse, they just made everything the same size.

As far as the capital ships go, well, finding a place for my BMF has been a challenge let alone my AT-TE and Turbo Tank (I have no idea what I'm gonna do with my BAT-AT) and finding a place for a similarly sized Trade Federation ship would be a nightmare. Not to mention I'd start with a Star Destroyer or any other OT capital ship first. But I still don't know where I could display ships that size. In reality, I'd love to see a new (possibly more detailed but it's not necessary) Action Fleet line with a better eye to scaling (the figures are not necessary, considering they were too small and the whole fold at the waist thing always had mine doubled over like they'd been punched). The capital ships can be left out and Hasbro's Star Wars team could just take that money saved and tool me up a BS-I.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
It just wouldn't work at this scale. When I was younger, I enjoyed playing out these scenes on the R2-D2 carry case that opened up to show the interior of the control ship from TPM. So I suppose I'm all good on this one.

El Chuxter
04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I would only buy it if it came with 0% financing for six years, and there was a seat I could put in the middle so I could drive it around town.

Devo
04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Y'know, If hasbro were mad enough to make any capital ship I think I'd feel mad enough to reward their efforts with a purchase. That said a few of my NOs to other capital ship polls might be reconsidered by me if the vehicles came to pass. However, again, my preferance would always be OT.

Darth Metalmute
04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I think we discussed that a bit in the Acclamator Star Destroyer thread. Why not continue the conversation here - about a new line of Star Wars toys, similar to Action Fleet or Titanium, but with everything SCALED to one another.

The Trade Federation Droid Control Ship would be the size of the BMF perhaps, with Titanium sized N-1 Starfighters and Vulture Fighter Droids.

I could live with there being NO (none) (zero) action figures for this toy line because the figures would have to be scaled to the Titanium sized N-1 fighters.

When I trim my nails, pieces fall off my fingers that are larger than those figures would be!

So just the ships.

Some of the Titanium fans around here rib me once in a while because I do not buy that line.

This is the way I'd go clamoring for it.

Discuss this idea as it is, but remember the thread is also about making a Droid Control Ship for the 3 3/4" figures.

By the way, I'd spend up to $300 for such a vehicle, obviously out of scale for the figures, but capable of holding them and some vehicles (AATs and an N-1, plus the original size Vulture Droid Fighters).

And this thing (out of scale) would be about the size of a for-4-seating round breakfast table or a junior kiddie pool!

It would have to replace a coffee table in a home. Perhaps the flip-up panels that let you access interior play would feature magazine racks and drink holders on the reverse side?

It's a cool idea, but who really wants a Droid control ship the size of the BMF Falcon? Then you get to the main question, would they make a death star? That would then have to be bigger than that.

I wouldn't mind seeing ships that are too scale with a Titanium X-Wing, but if you think about, a Neblon Frigate would be 4' long+. It's just not feasible. I would be a better bet if they just bought back the action fleet.

In realizing this, I have a inkling to change all my yes' on capital ships to no's. Except for the Star Destroyer.

Tycho
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
It's a cool idea, but who really wants a Droid control ship the size of the BMF Falcon? Then you get to the main question, would they make a death star? That would then have to be bigger than that.

I wouldn't mind seeing ships that are too scale with a Titanium X-Wing, but if you think about, a Neblon Frigate would be 4' long+. It's just not feasible. I would be a better bet if they just bought back the action fleet.

In realizing this, I have a inkling to change all my yes' on capital ships to no's. Except for the Star Destroyer.

You're anticipating my last OT polls - just about. I need to do the Nebulon-B Frigate (Medical Frigate) for ESB, and ANH has 2 left, one being the Death Star for certain. Since ANH is up next after I re-cap it's last poll, I think I'll go with a much smaller alternative for this week. It'll be up in a little while.

Fat Valentino
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I would not purchase the Droid Control ship. I might consider a Spherical Landing craft version, like in AOTC though...

But maybe I'll wait to chime in until next week? :lipsrsealed:

The Space Outlaw
04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I can't say any 3 3/4"-scale capital ships excite me that much, mainly because too many compromises need to be made for scale purposes--even the Tantive IV, done right, would be larger that the USS Flagg. Aside from the amount of deformation that would be required, there's just no place for the average purchaser to put such beastly things.

Personally, I'd like to see Hasbro go back to the old line and start making new versions of classic playsets, like all the Hoth playsets they made for ESB. That way we could put figures in classic scenes without all the hassle of figuring out which piece of furniture has to be removed to fit that Star Destroyer. They could do all kinds of great stuff nowadays.

As for a line of small ships, all in scale with each other, well that might be interesting. I loved AF and I'd like to see a return to something like that, but there would have to be two lines, one for fighters and one for capital ships--and aside from the huge difference in size between ships (Nebulon-B twice the size of the Corvette, and the Star Destroyer more than five times the length of the Nebulon-B; makes it difficult to establish a specific price point) I don't think most capital ships are popular enough outside the die-hard fan circles to support the initiation of such a project. So, fighters, yes, absolutely, right up to Falcon-size or even Hound's Tooth (twice the Falcon's size now, according to Wookieepedia). Capital ships, no.

Tycho
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Capital ships would be the only attraction to that kind of line for me.

I already have nice fightercraft and I can put my action figures into them.

JediTricks
04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Scaled SW ships in mini would be improbable to create. The Super Star Destroyer is 19km long, that's 12 times as long as a Star Destroyer's 1.6km length. The Trade Fed Battleship is 3.1km long and it's a circle so it's also around 3km WIDE! The Invisible Hand, by comparison, is a mere 1.1km long, while the Acclamator is just 752m long. The Venator is 1.1km as well. Home One and the Liberty were both 1.2km. The Death Star 1 was 160km, while the Death Star 2 was a ludicrous "above 900km", so those we'll have to toss aside as unfathomable in scale. Then we get into the Rebel ships, the Nebulon-B is 300m, Blockade Runner is just 150m, the Rebel Transport is 90m. You can see in this image how pathetic a scale line would be (the bottom is a small PORTION of the SSD): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Capital_size_chart.png

19 km - SSD
3.1km - Trade Fed Battleship
1.6km - ISD
1.2km - Mon Cal Cruisers
1.1km - Invisible Hand
1.1km - Venator
0.75km - Acclamator
0.3km - Nebulon-B Frigate
0.15km - Rebel Blockade Runner
0.09km - Rebel Transport

What you'd end up with is 1 ridiculously gigantic ship, and then a myriad of really small ships that get tinier and tinier until they're barely a speck.

Even if we threw out the SSD so we start with the Trade Fed Battleship, at 3.1km we'll make that the "centerpiece" despite being a particularly underwhelming one, and we'll make it 31cm - it scales down nicely, and is just a hair above a foot at 12.2". That means the ISD would be 6.2", the Mon Cal ships would be 4.7", the Invisible Hand and Venator 4.3", the Acclamator 2.9", the Nebulon-B would be 1.2", the Rebel Blockade Runner 0.59", and the Rebel Transport a whopping 0.35".

So by starting with a big salad bowl Trade Fed Battleship, only 1 other ship would be above half a food, the rest going from 4 inches to 1/3rd of an inch.

And in that equation, the SSD would be 74.8" long, or 6' 2".

So a scaled line is just not feasible.

Tycho
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
The Trade Federation Droid Control Ship loses 2-against-12.

There wasn't too much support for a smaller scaled ship collection version either, with MicroMachine sized N1s and Vulture Droids.

OK - this one's a no-go.

BTW, the "yes votes" were myself and Devo's sort of unenthusiastic "I'd buy it if Hasbro were crazy enough to..."

Now if this were a functioning toilet seat I suspect many of you could sit for this ;)

JediTricks
05-27-2010, 04:55 AM
If this were a toilet seat, it'd have a big ball in the middle.

Fat Valentino
05-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Boys, I've made customs for several years, and I think it's time to throw out any concern for even loose fidelity of scale within the 3 3/4 line. I think it would be better just do what the vintage line did. A one or two man fighter fits one or two figures, a larger ship or vehicle fits perhaps 5-10, and a capital ship is around 18 inches long and fits 10+ figures.

The alternative is a Star Destroyer playset the size of a house. :upset:

Tycho
05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
If you lower that bridge tower, it could become a bridge, and then string 6 down the length of that er...ship...and you could have yourself a guitar to play the Imperial March on ;)