PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A New Release For Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder?

Tycho
04-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder from ANH?

This poll was another by request.

I must add that while I don't support it, I believe Luke's Landspeeder has not been seen at retail since 2002 or 2003, so it's re-release couldn't hurt.

I don't think they should spend new tooling costs on making yet another one.

That Saga 1 Toys R Us exclusive Landspeeder was a completely new sculpt I believe.

If you want this vehicle made or released again, I think you should describe how you envision it.

I'm not sure we need another release with Luke, Obi-Wan, R2 and C-3PO while Resurgence of the Jedi is still on the shelves.

But do you want Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder re-made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Devo
04-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Most definitely I think I could do with another. Particularly with a repaint and if they would reveal a compartment behind the drivers/passenger chairs for Threepio to put his feet when sitting on the back.

I know JT isn't convinced that there actually is a space behind those chairs where 3PO puts his feet but it would at least help secure a Threepio figure on the back of a toy landspeeder.

Daryl VayDar
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I would absolutely buy one. I never got the TRU set, and just last weekend was telling a friend of mine how the Landspeeder was one of the few vehicles I regretted passing on.

I think it might be a bit too "lean" to fill a starfighter assortment box, but I could be wrong- it's been a while since seeing it in person. If the price was right, an exclusive set with the Speeder, Luke, R2, a VOTC Tusken Raider and a modern 3Po sculpt with dirt and removable limb could be very cool. They could use it as a way to give us a better Luke than the Resurgence version, with updated legs and molded (not painted) face...

If they were still doing the UBP's, they could add a second Tusken (or a Kenobi) and a Bantha to re-create the entire scene.

DarkJedi5
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes, this was the first vehicle I bought in the POTF2 line and that's still the only one I've got. There's been a more recent version but it was way too expensive an hard to find. Point is, I've been eagerly waiting for a new version of this one.

DarkArtist
04-28-2010, 02:47 PM
hard to say... if they were doing an UBP then maybe but only if they included 2 Tuskans, a Bantha, Luke, R2, Kenobi and Damaged Threepio. I know it's asking alot but that's the only way I'd buy it. would really be cool if it could make the sound effects as well.

if it's just a straight re-release then it's a pass

JediTricks
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, I want one. The Saga one could use a little more oomph, even if it is accurate in size (which I guess it is, but it looks so short). So more weathering would be nice at the very least.

3PO's legs are off to the side, not inside the seats, there's no cavity there.

I would like to see the rest of the bubble as a removable piece, and an opening hood, and removable panels on all the thrusters.

Devo
04-28-2010, 05:18 PM
3PO's legs are off to the side, not inside the seats, there's no cavity there.

Maybe but I doubt you can get a 3PO figure to sit like that let alone get him to not fall off at the slightest movement of the speeder. I think a little compartment with 2 footpegs in it would be a good idea. Probably unlikely Hasbro would bother changing anything other than the paintjob though.

JediTricks
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Any 3PO you can get to bend its knees to fit into a cavity would mean it has movable hips and waist too (Endor 3PO mold), so if you can get a figure to put lower legs in there. And the vehicle is too short to have him STAND in it, he's be way out the top. And then you'd still have an inaccurate scene since now 3PO has no legs. A better solution is to have him bend at the hips and then have a seatbelt attached to the back of the seat. Having R2 on the back is even harder since he's just basically rolling around back there.

Darth Jax
04-28-2010, 07:37 PM
no thanks, i don't need another landspeeder. quite satisfied with the last (saga was it?) release.

Neuroleptic
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
I'd actualy love one, as I'v never owned one before. It seems it always comes out when I lack funds. Re-release or re-sculpt would be fine with me with or without figures.

El Chuxter
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Only if it comes with a Mr T figure and has at least 200 real phrases in Mr T's voice. I don't imagine that's likely.

The Space Outlaw
04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I'd be more interested in a new sculpt. More accuracy, better rolling action, maybe a usable front compartment, and as stated above, removable thruster covers. I'd be willing to pay $25 for that, if done well. Include some straps for the droids and a fresh cockpit and it's a definite must-buy for me. It could even be re-tooled slightly into a non-canon "militarized" version with guns and a removable cockpit bubble.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Eh, I like the 2002 one a lot. Maybe it could have a different paint job, and it could indeed make for a nice piece in a cool box set with Tuskens and so on, but I have no use for a new one.

bigbarada
04-29-2010, 06:35 AM
The last Landspeeder I bought was in 1996. I never found the 2002 version at retail and the prices on the secondary market were just too high for my wallet at the time. It's something I always thought would be cool to have, so I'd definitely buy a rerelease/repaint.

Darth Metalmute
04-29-2010, 07:35 AM
I'll pass. I love the 2002 one. One of my few items that are still on display.

LTBasker
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I would actually be fine if there was never another Landspeeder release, but I would probably pick it up if they did release it again. Assuming, of course, it did indeed have a better paintjob than the dull and muted one of the 2002 release, as well as new features.

I actually miss the raising hood of the Vintage/POTF2 version, so I'd like to see them make use of the front area again with something like that. Although if they do that again I'd prefer a less awkward hinge, the old was just... weird. I'd also like to see a way to secure R2 and 3PO on the back, but am not sure really sure how. Although they could make an R2 with the BAD sculpt to include, and he could be secured with thin L-shaped plugs that raise on the flat area and plug into the lower holes. Though, honestly, I'm not sure there's enough space for that. 3PO could possibly just be held down with a small similiar-colored piece that goes over his legs, and plugs into holes on the flat area?

Or, they could just toss magnets into the back of the speeder, and then release a battle pack with, or include as pack-ins, R2 & 3PO with magnets in themselves.

JediTricks
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
no thanks, i don't need another landspeeder. quite satisfied with the last (saga was it?) release.Yes, it was a Saga boxed set with Luke, exclusive to TRU.

I'd actualy love one, as I'v never owned one before. It seems it always comes out when I lack funds. That's what happened to me, too. The Saga one came out when I was super broke.

Only if it comes with a Mr T figure and has at least 200 real phrases in Mr T's voice. I don't imagine that's likely.I don't think even the real Mr. T has 200 phrases. Both the electronic pocket celebrity sound machine for Mr T and the T'inator website have something like 8 and even they seem like a stretch.

LTBasker
04-29-2010, 06:31 PM
It could be padded out with translations in bocce and the binary language of moisture vaporators.

"I pity the 01011!"

El Chuxter
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
It could have the normal phrases, and maybe mix them up a little. "I pity the school. Don't use milk, stay in drugs, drink your fool!"

mtriv73
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
It could have the normal phrases, and maybe mix them up a little. "I pity the school. Don't use milk, stay in drugs, drink your fool!"

That I would definitely buy.

As for a straight rerelease, I hope it comes out because so many new collectors probably need it, but I wouldn't be one of the ones buying it unless it comes with a krayt dragon skeleton (Or sandworm or whatever that thing you see 3-po walking by is.)

JediTricks
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
That I would definitely buy.

As for a straight rerelease, I hope it comes out because so many new collectors probably need it, but I wouldn't be one of the ones buying it unless it comes with a krayt dragon skeleton (Or sandworm or whatever that thing you see 3-po walking by is.)
That is a krayt dragon skeleton.

What about with a womp rat, or the handful of scurriers that were added to the SE?

vger
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I'd buy one if there was a well behind the driver and passenger seats for Threepio to sit in the back with his knees bent. Hasbro could open up the back well area, or make it a sliding piece.

Darkross
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd definitely but one...I passed on the 2002 Saga version way back...and regret doing so. I do have the new Lego one to keep me company though!:thumbsup:

mtriv73
05-12-2010, 02:46 PM
That is a krayt dragon skeleton.

What about with a womp rat, or the handful of scurriers that were added to the SE?

That would make it more likely for me to buy as well.

I'd really like a krayt dragon skeleton though.

Maybe it could come as an ultimate battlepack with crispy owen and beru, a krayt dragon skeleton, and a couple blasted jawas. (Yeah like that'll ever get made.) Still, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

DarkArtist
05-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Maybe it could come as an ultimate battlepack with crispy owen and beru, a krayt dragon skeleton, and a couple blasted jawas. (Yeah like that'll ever get made.) Still, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

also add it the Lars Homestead set as well with a few extra SA Sandtroopers and then I'd be sold as well.

if they released the Landspeeder with a Krayt Dragon Skeleton and maybe either a womprat or a few of the scurriers for the SE then maybe I spend the cash. I would have to see the overall product before making a final decision.

JediTricks
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Maybe it could come as an ultimate battlepack with crispy owen and beru, a krayt dragon skeleton, and a couple blasted jawas. (Yeah like that'll ever get made.) Still, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.Well, small things are easier and cheaper and thus more likely to tool up than big things, that's why I thought of scurriers.

El Chuxter
05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
A couple of scurriers might've made the difference for me with the Lars Homestead set. The womp rat was cool, and I'd still like one, but it seemed a bit too big and fierce to be running around unnoticed.

RamaSha
05-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Oh yeah! I'm actually a little surprised they haven't done it yet. Is that the only time they used that mold? I missed out on the 2002 one, but it looks really awesome. So I'd buy it in a second.

JediTricks
05-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Oh yeah! I'm actually a little surprised they haven't done it yet. Is that the only time they used that mold? I missed out on the 2002 one, but it looks really awesome. So I'd buy it in a second.
Yup, never re-released that mold despite being 100% new tooling.

RamaSha
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
That's kinda odd for Hasbro. Got to be only a matter of time.

Brian_Fortuna
05-18-2010, 04:07 AM
For sure. Restarting my collection, so I'll take as many vehicles as I can get:).

Tycho
05-21-2010, 01:22 PM
A re-sculpt of Luke's Landspeeder wins by 14-5.

The oldest Star Wars movie has the highest demand for new vehicles.

ANH polling is now complete. We're done.

It worked out so there were 9 vehicles from each OT movie polled for. 7/9 (hehe, Seven-Of-Nine) won for ANH.

The Winners are:

Princess Leia's Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner [14-11]
Lars Family Landspeeder [10-6]
Dash Rendar's Outrider (resculpt) [9-6]
Imperial Landing Craft [14-3]
Big Jawa Sandcrawler [20-4]
Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (resculpt) [10-3]
Luke's Landspeeder (resculpt) [14-5]

The losers were:

Luke's T-16 Skyhopper re-release [6-10]
R2-D2's Escape Pod [6-7]