PDA

View Full Version : Princess Leia Car Wash!!!

sith_killer_99
04-28-2010, 09:45 PM
No kidding here, I found this on another (non-SW related) forum.

It could very well be the ultimate car-obsessed/Star Wars fanboy fantasy. What is this latest object of our geekery? How about a car wash carried out by a gaggle of Princess Leias? And not just any Princess Leia, mind you, but slave Leia. We told you already: Ultimate car-obsessed Star Wars fanboy fantasy.

Not surprisingly, the fertile minds over at G4TV's Attack of the Show were behind the stunt, and proceeds from the Star Wars Charity Car Wash went to the Make A Wish Foundation. And if you're worried it was all just a horrible example of male chauvinism (yeah, it probably was), Han Solo, Darth Vader, Obi Wan, a slew of Storm Troopers and even a Tusken Raider and pair of Jawas were also present and accounted for. What, no Olivia Munn?

Video? Of course, four of them in total. See it all go down after the break.

Link:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/28/video-princess-leia-car-wash-no-were-not-kidding/

Rocketboy
04-29-2010, 12:00 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Slicker
04-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Utterly epic! Oh, if only Padme had a frame like that in the movie...

Darth Metalmute
04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I wish they did that in Northwest Ohio......

Oh wait, it's still in the 50's-60's here.

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM

That is warmer then it is in NE Wisconsin right now.

sith_killer_99
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Better yet!:twisted:

Darth Metalmute
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't know, it's not the same if they are dressed as Snow Bunny Padme. You feel bad because they are soaked and freezing, so you offer them an opportunity to warm themselves by your fireplace. But then all she wants to talk about is politics and how she's a senator and such.

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't know, it's not the same if they are dressed as Snow Bunny Padme. You feel bad because they are soaked and freezing, so you offer them an opportunity to warm themselves by your fireplace. But then all she wants to talk about is politics and how she's a senator and such.

Great new business idea, maybe come winter some snow bunny Padme's will shovel driveways and sidewalks for charity? :D

JediTricks
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Ack! This is right down the street from my mailbox place, the bank in the background is one of the branches I use regularly, and that's my "backup" Whole Foods behind it (it's a mile south of the "main" Whole Foods, which is pretty silly when you think about it, but they're both super busy so there's really a need). AND MY CAR HAS NEEDED A WASH FOR MONTHS! (I keep putting it off because my local carwash is under indictment from the city attorney for treating its employees especially badly and it keeps getting picketed, and every time I head out towards further ones the weather is just threatening enough to make it not worth my while.)

On the other hand, actually watching the video of it makes it look kinda sleazy and pathetic, I would have felt pretty foul playing into those stereotypes.

On the other OTHER hand, my car is sleek and Stormtrooper white.

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
AND MY CAR HAS NEEDED A WASH FOR MONTHS! (I keep putting it off because my local carwash is under indictment from the city attorney for treating its employees especially badly and it keeps getting picketed, and every time I head out towards further ones the weather is just threatening enough to make it not worth my while.)

Bucket + water + dish soap + rag + towel to dry = car wash. It'd take (at most) 15 minutes to do it yourself.

Slicker
04-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Bucket + water + dish soap + rag + towel to dry = car wash. It'd take (at most) 15 minutes to do it yourself.
I'd much rather wash my car myself anyways. I would've probably slapped that one that rubber her arse on his door. She could scratch the pant like that!

JediTricks
04-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Bucket + water + dish soap + rag + towel to dry = car wash. It'd take (at most) 15 minutes to do it yourself.Dish soap is not good for auto paint. I'm very slow at washing my own car, when I do it myself I usually take it to a DIY place that takes quarters, and I end up spending triple on just the exterior. Then the interior is really slow going, last time it took me an hour, I get OCD on it.

Plus, no Slave Leias all soapy rubbing against my car.

Usually, I'll just drop $17 ($5 cash tip on top of $12) on a car wash place that does a fair job inside and out in under 30 minutes, so I can get back to working or whatever else I'm doing. The amount of time I save, not to mention the costs of rags, water, auto soap, interior vacuum, and interior cleaner, more than makes up the difference.

Rocketboy
04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I would've probably slapped that one that rubber her arse on his door. She could scratch the pant like that!Seriously. She could have at least taken her bottoms off if she was going to do that.

JimJamBonds
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Dish soap is not good for auto paint. I'm very slow at washing my own car, when I do it myself I usually take it to a DIY place that takes quarters, and I end up spending triple on just the exterior. Then the interior is really slow going, last time it took me an hour, I get OCD on it.

Usually, I'll just drop $17 ($5 cash tip on top of $12) on a car wash place that does a fair job inside and out in under 30 minutes, so I can get back to working or whatever else I'm doing. The amount of time I save, not to mention the costs of rags, water, auto soap, interior vacuum, and interior cleaner, more than makes up the difference.

Ok fine, take my above post and subtract dish soap and add in some sort of 'car wash soap' and you'd come out far cheaper then $12.... with a 42% tip!?!?!?! WTF?

JediTricks
04-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Ok fine, take my above post and subtract dish soap and add in some sort of 'car wash soap' and you'd come out far cheaper then $12.... with a 42% tip!?!?!?! WTF?
I generally make around $30 to $60 an hour for freelance work, it takes me between 2 and 3 hours to clean my car as well as the car wash place. Alternately, it takes me about 30 minutes to get from any TRU or Target or WM to another in LA. So I could be using that time to either make money, or save money by tracking down my collectibles rather than paying someone else a premium to get them.

I also have nowhere to wash my car, I live in an apartment building, all our parking spaces are underground and my car is parked right on top of the storm drain connection grate, if I wash my car there, I'm out of the sunlight and all my soaps and such runoff directly into the local ocean, so the environment gets poisoned and I have to towel-dry my whole car to boot. And how much is DIY wash & wax & interior? An average of $6 for quality wash, $6 for cheapo fire-n-forget wax, a couple bucks for rags and such, about $7 for decent drying towels, $4 for glass cleaner and $5 for wheel cleaner, $40 for a wet-dry vac that will work in the car, $5 for an extension cord to get the vacuum to the car. And I have nowhere to store all that crap since my building still after 16 years hasn't coughed up the storage locker I'm supposed to have, and my little apartment is pretty full as is. So, without the vacuum (we'll pretend my car's carpeting will magically clean itself, I guess), that's $33 right there, plus the hours of time wasted, all for the honor of ineptly doing it myself.

As I see it, $12 is for the use of the facility equipment - power, water, soap, wax, and secondary employee assistance (the guys in the tunnel don't really spend all that much time on any 1 car, the machines do a lot of that very quickly) - so when the primary employee takes over caring for my car, he or she spends about 20 minutes finishing the wash & cheapo wax and the interior mini-detailing (windows, mirrors, cleaning out the obvious dust). That's a lot of work, this person is probably getting minimum wage for that fast, back-breaking labor. For half an hour's work that makes my car look that good and gets me back on the road quickly without me having to get all upset over doing it myself, I think that person deserves more than the bare minimum, $5 tax-free bonus seems like a relatively small repayment. That person could be working on a nicer car that is paying more for a higher quality job, but instead is working on Cheapskate Charlie's POS, so it seems like a little extra compensation isn't out of the question. It's a small price to pay for convenience and quality.

LTBasker
04-30-2010, 06:23 PM
I would say forgo the soap, and just give the car a hose down, and stop doing whatever it is that apparently leaves your interior so filthy. :p

JediTricks
04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
It's been 5 months, the interior looks great actually, but it's covered with dust after that much time, and guests keep tracking in ground debris like broken leaves and other organics like that. LA is a pretty dusty town in general, too. If one drives by LAX airport, one's car generally will get covered in a fine orange dust of fuel particulates. And there's a lot of exhaust in the air, and a lot of school buses puking out black diesel smoke - as the owner of a white car, that's the worst!

Hose won't do anything but accelerate the paint's destruction (the sunlight is amplified into the surface by the water droplets), and concentrate the exterior dust into thicker patches of muddiness that sticks and dries into black blobs. The car needs a WASH. Yesterday I went out doing chores, but couldn't get the car washed because of the high winds. In Burbank, it looked like an old western with big dust clouds blowing down the sidestreets onto the main drag.