PDA

View Full Version : Capt. Rex!

jonthejedi
04-30-2010, 03:42 AM
Capt. Rex preorders next Friday...preview is up!

JediTricks
04-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Wow do I not like the AOTC-styled helmet and that weird pauldron. Maybe it'll look better in a week when they show the full pics, but man does that leave me cold.

Darth Metalmute
04-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow do I not like the AOTC-styled helmet and that weird pauldron. Maybe it'll look better in a week when they show the full pics, but man does that leave me cold.

I don't mind the helmet, but the pauldron screams animated. I guess that means we will not be getting an animated and realistic head, like they did with Ventriss?

Having not opened any on the figures do to a space problem, have any of the clones, stromtroopers have removable helmets?

wampaslayr
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM

I agree with you. The helmet actually doesn't look right to me. The pauldrons make the figure look bulky and I'm not crazy about the paint scheme. I think it should be a darker blue. I think Sideshow missed the mark on this one.

JediTricks
04-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Here's the link, for those who haven't seen it yet:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=15081&source=042910news&utm_source=newsletter-pers-042910news&utm_medium=email

I don't mind the helmet, but the pauldron screams animated. I guess that means we will not be getting an animated and realistic head, like they did with Ventriss?I was wondering about that, they said Cody would be shipping with a realistic and animated helmet under a new "deluxe" line, but since we still haven't seen Cody, it seems odd that they'd offer the animated head on Rex first. Could happen though.

Having not opened any on the figures do to a space problem, have any of the clones, stromtroopers have removable helmets?No, they don't. The Luke & Han Stormtrooper exclusives have alternate helmets that have detailed interiors, but they are too close-fitting to go over the head, they were not designed to be worn. Sideshow's argument is that a removable helmet feature would take away from the authenticity of the sculpt of the helmet since they'd have to make it bigger to accommodate the nose, ears, and hair of a figure where in real life those can be pliant enough to slip into a helmet. The Vader and Stormtrooper figures' helmets I have personally looked at have a long post running into the middle of the helmet and a long cup running from the top of the helmet down, so it would not be possible to get a head into them without cutting off that cup.

Jayspawn
05-02-2010, 02:25 AM
I really like Capt. Rex, but the figure looks off. Maybe I need to see more pics. I'd get it, but I'd rather have Cody first. In fact, Rex would be aguaranteed buy from me if Cody had come first.

JediTricks
05-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Cody has been in the works for a year, I don't know why we're seeing Rex first. Maybe it's that Cody's got different shoulder, chest, and knee armor, as well as antennae that make the helmet and shoulder more difficult, plus the awkward little jetpack on the back.

jedibear
05-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Based on this one preview shot, Rex isn't doing it for me either...but I'll reserve judgment until the complete gallery goes up...

As for Cody...I'm sure he's probably a centerpiece of the SDCC announcements/PPO's. I'm really looking forward to him too...hoping he's a real "knock our socks off" effort, especially when it's a fair guess that his price tag's gonna be steep....

jonthejedi
05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Complete photo gallery is up....there's going to be opinions galore on this one!

bikerscout
05-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Wth is the exclusive? SS's descriptions do not say what it is. Pretty dumb

JediTricks
05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Weird, the kama (skirt) is open in the back as well as the front.

As for the exclusive, the image says it: "exclusive display base", another dopey painted stand.
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/21871_press01-001.jpg
Man do those suck!

Anyway, I'm passing on Rex, I just don't like the helmet or pauldron at all, and $125 is too rich for my blood. Stupid Jango Jetpack did tempt me for a moment though, especially since it seems to be magnetic. I am a sucker. :p

bigbarada
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Overally I actually really like this figure. I think the bulkiness gives it a much more realistic quality. I do see the problems with the helmet, though.

However, I think if I was ever going to actually buy a Sideshow Clonetrooper figure, then I would most likely hold out for an Ep3 Commander Gree, then maybe a Kashyyk Trooper.

Although, a 12" camouflaged ARF Trooper, from the Clone Wars, would be pretty tempting as well.

jedibear
05-08-2010, 01:26 PM
A long ramble here...

Well, $125. is less than I expected, so I guess it's not too surprising. I don't mind the exclusive item being the stand...makes it a non-essential item but still something special for those who like them. As for the stands in general, I think it's high time for Sideshow to seriously consider different stand options for these figures. The round base is fine, but the support bar clamping around the figure is not visually appealing or practical with these heavily-geared troopers. I'm wondering if the standard stand is even going to work with a jet-pack outfitted Rex.

The HT style of the crotch/thigh support bar might be a better way to go here...

As for the figure itself, now that we have a complete gallery of shots to consider, Rex looks great. I like some of the solutions they came up with here...the split-back kama (which will help with some more extreme battle poses), the magnet for attaching the jet pack (allowing for no pegs or holes in the figure...classy), the new ribbed body suit (although the current style used for the clones at this scale looks okay to me) are all pretty cool.

The paint apps as they are on this prototype have me a little concerned...I'm not liking the look of the dark overspray around the figure's middle...it looks too deliberate and like what it is...overspray...as well as betraying the figure's scale. Also, I hope the shade of blue that is eventually chosen for the accents is a little less candy-bright. Even the Hasbro figures offer something a little less brilliant looking and more armor-like. Again, it's hard to say weather this is just what was selected for this prototype presentation or what we may see in the production run...

The sculpt looks good. In the Rex presentation, it looks like like same approach used for the recent CW Anakin is at work here...not a dead-on representation of the CW animated look nor a totally on-the-mark Morrison look but instead a stylized portrait that kind of blends the two together. For Rex, it looks real good and will compliment the recently released Anakin figure quite well.

I'm hoping that a similar approach that was used with the Leia/Boussh figure is at work here with the portrait/helmet treatment, ie: the neck plug to replace the actual head sculpt and a hollowed-out, properly scaled helmet. It would be nice to have the option of posing the figure featuring the head sculpt and the ability to hold onto the helmet (say, under one arm...that definitely the display look I'm hoping to achieve with Cody)...

Again, after viewing this sculpt, it's a safe bet that Sideshow has a portrait that can be altered according to each clone character they produce (scars for Cody, Mohawk stripe for Gree, intense basic appearance for Jango, etc) and with the proper paint apps, they should be terrific.

One of the other great pluses to seeing this Rex gallery is seeing a glimpse of Clone Commanders to come...the basic building blocks are present in the Rex figure to present great versions of Bly, Bacara and the many other "ARC-themed" troopers we hope to see Sideshow produce. There are a few that may require an even more unique approach (Gree, and Airbourne Trooper, a Kassyyk Trooper come to mind), but if this presentation of Rex is any indication, we're in for some great, well-detailed Clone Commanders coming from Sideshow....

It is interesting to that the anticipated release date on this one is at the very end of the fourth quarter (the end of the year). Won't be surprised to see delays...and this is a fair indicator that whatever is announced at SDCC is a long way out release-wise). As far as this collector's wallet goes. that's not a bad thing.... :)

I can't WAIT to see Cody!

jonthejedi
05-09-2010, 05:49 AM
I've also had a problem several times with the vertical support cracking open when the metal waist ring is pushed down in.

JediTricks
05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the Hot Toys' stand using the crotch would rip through the undersuit here.

Speaking of the undersuit, I hadn't noticed it seems different. It does, and it looks velvet/flocked, quite unusual.

Rex's likeness should be a blend of Morrison and Bodie Taylor, since he played Ep 2 clones.

Dar' Argol
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
That Rex is off. Is it just me or are the "realistic" versions of the animated characters just not right? I was looking at the Ventress/Anakin one and that doesn't seem right either. Rex's helmet looks like it had too many donuts and without his helmet he looks off as well. Maybe its because we've only seen him in the animated form, but I prefer the animated to this any day.