PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs (the TV Show)

Droid
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I used to watch the show Dinosaurs as a kid. "Not the Momma!" That cracked me up.

Anyway, I never knew how it ended. I ran across a website that I can't link to here because of language listing the 7 most depressing TV show finales ever.

Do you all know how Dinosaurs ended?

The father dinosaur accidentally causes the environment to change and the last scene is the Dinosaurs huddled shivering in their house as the snow sets in outside and they prepare to die.

It is one of the most depressing things I have ever seen.

The clip is on YouTube.

What were they thinking? It was a kids' show!

Warped
05-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I remember when they said WAR stands for We Are Right. It has always stuck with me for some reason.

JimJamBonds
05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Do you all know how Dinosaurs ended?

The father dinosaur accidentally causes the environment to change and the last scene is the Dinosaurs huddled shivering in their house as the snow sets in outside and they prepare to die.

It is one of the most depressing things I have ever seen.

The clip is on YouTube.

What were they thinking? It was a kids' show!

Those writers make me madder then a yak in heat. ~ Marge Simpson

Liberal media. :p

El Chuxter
05-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Kid's show? I never saw it as a kid's show. It was one of the most intelligent satires on television, but it got saddled with being called a kid's show because it used puppet dinosaurs.

C'mon, an entire episode about "What Sexual Harris Meant" didn't clue everyone in that it wasn't a kid's show?

Droid
05-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Kid's show? I never saw it as a kid's show. It was one of the most intelligent satires on television, but it got saddled with being called a kid's show because it used puppet dinosaurs.

C'mon, an entire episode about "What Sexual Harris Meant" didn't clue everyone in that it wasn't a kid's show?

It's dandy to argue it isn't a kids show. And maybe you can blame ABC for mispromoting or misscheduling it. But you stick this show on Friday Nights with Full House and Family Matters and your primary audience is kids. You make your most recognizable character a dinosaur baby puppet that yells "not the Momma" and you have a kids' show on your hands.

And I bet even the Simpsons or South Park wouldn't end the show with the entire cast dying by freezing to death huddled around each other in their homes.

I, as a kid, did not understand that I wasn't watching a kids show and would have been pretty upset by the way this show ended.

JediTricks
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Dinosaurs was a "family" sitcom in the vein of 1st season Simpsons but less edgy, and more socio-commentary. The baby constantly throwing violence at the dad was a statement in of itself, not merely farce. My sister remembers this show fondly and often, whereas I do not - I think I watched the first and second season, but ditched the 3rd, once The Critic (which it was aired with) proved it was going to continue sucking at all costs.

The ending bringing about the ice age certainly isn't entertaining, but it was a powerful statement. I think it happened because the show runners were annoyed that they were being canceled without possibility of spin-offs. It came off a little bitter, although inevitable.

bigbarada
05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
I remember watching this show when it first came out and finding it mildly entertaining, but nothing really special. I also remember watching the series finale and remember being more annoyed at the heavy-handed, preachy, environmentalist message at the end, than being saddened or depressed.

But this was about the time that I started to become more and more skeptical of the whole Global Cooling/Global Warming/Climate Change scam.