PDA

View Full Version : Shia LaBeouf: I 'Dropped The Ball' On 'Indiana Jones' Sequel

bigbarada
05-18-2010, 03:25 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/shia-labeouf-dropped-ball-indiana-jones-sequel

Shia LaBeouf told the Los Angeles Times that he shares some of the blame for the failures of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" - but he is also pointing the finger at the monkeys he was forced to swing through the jungle with.

"I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished," Shia told the Los Angeles Times' 24 Frames blog when asked about the fourth "Indiana Jones" movie while in Cannes over the weekend. "You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on [director] Steven [Spielberg]," he continued. "But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple."

The actor went on to emphasize that he believes that modern audiences are hard to fool.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Shia is not the only "Indiana Jones" star who was less-than satisfied with the movie.

"We [Harrison Ford and Shia] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either," he also told the Los Angeles Times, referring to the movie that grossed over $786 million worldwide. "Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted... I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven."

Shia's "Indiana Jones" comments come just days after he publicly criticized "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen."

"When I saw the second movie, I wasn't impressed with what we did," he told the Associated Press on Thursday in Cannes when asked about the Michael Bay blockbuster. "There were some really wild stunts in it, but the heart was gone."

He feels that the scope of the second "Transformers" movie hurt it.

"We got lost. We tried to get bigger. It's what happens to sequels. It's like, how do you top the first one? You've got to go bigger," he continued. "Mike went so big that it became too big, and I think you lost the anchor of the movie. ... You lost a bit of the relationships. Unless you have those relationships, then the movie doesn't matter. Then it's just a bunch of robots fighting each other."

I wonder if this will have any effect on him starring in the next Indiana Jones movie?

2-1B
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
What a jackhole...not for ripping on Indy 4 or Trans 2, but for implying that Trans 1 was anything to be proud of. lol

The more comments like this from Shia, the better...hopefully he'll burn enough bridges and stop getting offers to be in these blockbusters. It's too bad he'll be in Wall Street 2. :cry:

DarkArtist
05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
sorta sounds like he is shooting himself in the foot with these comments. almost as if he wants to get the axe from future Transformers / Indy projects (not that I would mind that....:D)

El Chuxter
05-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I'd just rather all future Indy and Transformers movies get the axe. Though I wouldn't mind someone "rebooting" Transformers at some point.

sith_killer_99
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Indy should have gotten a re-boot IMO.

Another re-boot I'd like to see...Back to the Future (with like, an actual plot and a major story arc spanning all 3 films).:thumbsup:

JediTricks
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
What this will do to his career future:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

Here's a kooky idea, kid. Why not voice your feelings on the crappitude of the project WHILE YOU'RE MAKING IT so the rest of us don't have to suffer such crap?!? Oh well, at least he's being honest about his mistakes, far moreso than Bay or Spielberg (TF) or Lucas or Spielberg (Indy).

Ando
05-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Another re-boot I'd like to see...Back to the Future (with like, an actual plot and a major story arc spanning all 3 films).:thumbsup:

I agree (although the first one can stand alone).

JimJamBonds
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
My first thought when reading the thread title was that Shia was talking about dropping the ball on a NEW Indy movie, I'm pleased to find out my first impression was wrong. And he is taking (some) of the blame.

Slicker
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Another re-boot I'd like to see...Back to the Future (with like, an actual plot and a major story arc spanning all 3 films).:thumbsup:Please tell me that's a joke? The Back to the Future Trilogy is amazing. Even part III is likable. II is downright awesome and I is amazing!

sith_killer_99
05-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Please tell me that's a joke? The Back to the Future Trilogy is amazing. Even part III is likable. II is downright awesome and I is amazing!

I agree, the originals were really good. However, there was no real cohesive story arc to bridge the three films. The closest they came was Marty getting over being called a chicken.

It's not their fault, as they didn't really intend for this to be 3 films. The first was so successful that they got the green light for 2 more films. I just think they could remake the movies with more of a story line than just a series of adventures through time.

Again, I enjoyed the films. Three was a bit too campy IMO, but fun none the less.

I would love to see what they can do with modern writers and FX.

DarkArtist
05-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Back to the Future is one of my all time favorite movie trilogys ever. not sure if i's want to see a reboot of the series.

I would however love to see the old cartoon series get the DVD treatment and perhaps some toys released as well. (and i know that the chances of getting toys released based on a movie 20+ years old is almost next to impossible without some kind of major movie tie-in or TV series...but i think if they are marketed correctly and are detailed enough and in scale with current toy lines then the toys would sell....maybe this is something that Mattycollector.com can work on.)

Droid
05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree, the originals were really good. However, there was no real cohesive story arc to bridge the three films. The closest they came was Marty getting over being called a chicken.

And the chicken thing was stupid and nowhere to be seen in the first film.

It's not their fault, as they didn't really intend for this to be 3 films.

Ya, but the first one has an ending which implies a sequel.

bigbarada
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM

I think the ending to BTTF1 was more about sparking the audiences' imagination about what could be next, than setting up a sequel. The film itself stands alone and is one of those rare, "perfect" movies (a category that I think ANH, ESB, and Raiders of the Lost Ark belong in as well).

El Chuxter
05-19-2010, 02:25 PM
How about they just don't remake or reboot anything else, and force Hollywood to come up with new ideas or adapt new stuff.

Except for GIJoe. That needs a reboot. Preferably starring the folks who appeared in the "Ballad of GIJoe" short that was better-cast than the actual movie.

Ando
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM

I heard that they originally did the "To Be Continued" thing as a joke and it got such a vocal response, that they decided to make it happen.

If Mattel is going to get working on something related to BTTF, it needs to be hoverboards. It's 5 years away from 2015 when we see Marty's future and we're nowhere NEAR hoverboard technology, let alone double neckties, Nike's that lace themselves, dehydrated Pizza Hut pizza's that reconstitute in 30 seconds in a counter top RE-hydrater, wall mounted dot matrix fax machines in every room of your house, hover CARS, a Jaws sequel past 4 (Jaws: The Revenge), and the Cubs winning the World Series.

They did get some of the "future" right (or darn close) when they showed the big screen TV that Marty Jr watches along with the TV screens in the Cafe 80's that are interactive. They also got pretty close with the breaking news/up to date USA Today bot. We don't have news bots, but there's always a new news story online at any given time and we're now updated CONSTANTLY on what is happening on local, regional, national, and global levels every second.

sith_killer_99
05-19-2010, 05:10 PM
How about they just don't remake or reboot anything else, and force Hollywood to come up with new ideas or adapt new stuff.

Except for GIJoe. That needs a reboot. Preferably starring the folks who appeared in the "Ballad of GIJoe" short that was better-cast than the actual movie.

So long as Sienna Miller :love:and Rachel Nichols :love:are allowed to reprise their roles you can change anything you want.

Personally I used to be on the whole "stop with the remakes/reboots" kick, but then Hollywood had a few really good remakes/reboots and I was convinced. These films have an added benefit of drawing in younger audiences to the originals which would have never gotten any attention by these "new fans".

My wife is a perfect example, she was never a big Star Trek fan, but after the new movie she was all about digging into the originals. I happened to have the original series on DVD. When I bought them in 2007/08 she was like "oh, okay, whatever". Once she watched the new movie and connected to the fandom online she was all about watching my DVD's.:laugh:

Darth Metalmute
05-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Well on the topic of Shia LeBeouf and Transformers, Megan Fox was dropped from the third installment.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/megan-fox-dropped-from-transformers-3

I don't think it's April Fool's Day, so it must be real. But you already made two of these things with her, might as well finish it.

El Chuxter
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
So, to ensure the third movie is as bad as the first two, they're going to try the tired "love interest quietly set aside for no actual reason" plot device.

2-1B
05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Kinda like how they ditched Ali (with an I) in Karate Kid 1 so Daniel-san could sow his seed in Okinawa for episode 2.

El Chuxter
05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Or Men In Black II, or Shanghai Knights.

Y'ever notice how Daniel-san's girlfriends got progressively uglier as the series progressed? "Hey, kids, learn karate! The better you get, the uglier the women are!" Not that any of them were dogs, but you get the idea.

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I fairly well detest the idea of reboots. Crap writing and directing are still crap writing and directing. The only difference is now your continuity is shot to hell too.

However, I'd love to see a reboot of all of the Marvel movie properties that aren't in the Earth-199999 universe (I.e. the shared universe of Iron Man and all of the slated Avenger movies), so they could all play together and so we can wash away the nasty taste of X-Men 3.

bigbarada
05-20-2010, 07:43 AM
However, I'd love to see a reboot of all of the Marvel movie properties that aren't in the Earth-199999 universe (I.e. the shared universe of Iron Man and all of the slated Avenger movies), so they could all play together and so we can wash away the nasty taste of X-Men 3.

Yeah, I agree, the X-Men need a complete reboot more than anything else. The Fantastic Four could use one as well. I don't think Spider-Man really needs a reboot, but if that would put him in the same universe as the current movie version of Iron Man and the upcoming Avengers, then I'd take it.

2-1B
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Y'ever notice how Daniel-san's girlfriends got progressively uglier as the series progressed?

I have.

Plus, we can give an honorary (and very distant) 4th place finish to Hilary Swank.

El Chuxter
05-20-2010, 09:24 AM
But he didn't have a girlfriend in that movie, didn't he? Didn't Hilary play the first gay Karate Kid?

JimJamBonds
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Plus, we can give an honorary (and very distant) 4th place finish to Hilary Swank.

Will that be a fifth place in the near future?

El Chuxter
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I dunno. I have a feeling that you making her fifth place would raise some very serious questions, since the entire cast (minus Jackie Chan) seems to be just out of diapers.

Truth is, fugly or not, I'd probably rather see Swank in a legitimate movie than Megan Fox, since she can act. Karate Kid IV, though, was such carp that it should've been Megan Fox. Well, the 199whatever equivalent.

Darth Metalmute
05-20-2010, 10:46 AM
What if it was a silent film about running in slow motion?

JimJamBonds
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM

That has already been done on Baywatch.

bigbarada
05-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Megan Fox could star in the remake of Run Lola Run. :thumbsup:

2-1B
05-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Will that be a fifth place in the near future?

No.

Swank will remain in 4th, as Chux pointed out they get progressively worse...so that means Will Smith's daughter in the new reboot will definitely get 5th place.

JimJamBonds
05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Megan Fox could star in the remake of Run Lola Run. :thumbsup:

That movie is what 10-12 years old? That is waaaaaay to early for a remake... although I know why you're suggesting it Double B.:D