PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Villie and Quinlan Vos' Inferno?

Tycho
05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Villie and Quinlan Vos' Inferno from the Republic comics). PICTURES BELOW.

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, and the EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner. All possibilities from the Original Trilogy have now been polled for and the results can be reviewed in the OT Vehicle Poll Discussion Thread in this forum.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Villie and Quinlan Vos' Inferno from the Republic comics?

This ship (see pictures below) could be made for the $24 starfighter assortment which has successfully sold EU vehicles.

The cockpit should hold 2 figures, one seated behind the other. This is not accurate to the Inferno's 4 seat cockpit, however, we're never going to get a scaled Inferno.

The ship could fire two spring-loaded missiles from its front side. Villie's fired occasionally during his mercenary and bounty hunting work.

Landing gear could manually be extended from underneath either side of the ship's body.

We'd keep this one very simple.

The best point about this ship is that it's another vehicle that can be added to the line, continuing there being Star Wars offerings in the toy isle. With OT polling complete, there was almost nothing requested from the first trilogy that is new and would fit in the starfighter class toy assortment. The PT offers a few options, and the OT does have a new snowspeeder and finally the twin pod cloud car coming out.

But then what?

A softgoods Quinlan Vos could be made to fit in the cockpit.

The Comic 2-pack figure of Vilmah Grahk could be single-carded in some sort of EU Legends wave that could re-release Darth Raven and Darth Malek amongst other EU figures like assorted army builders from TFU multi-packs and Yuuzhan Vong, etc. - perhaps adding an opportunity to offer Anakin Solo, Noghri, and other planned but cancelled EU figures.

Do you want Villie and Quinlan Vos' Inferno to be made?

What other features would you want on this?

Why would you NOT want it?

Would you like to see Quinlan and Villie appear in the Clone Wars Animated Series? (ed: I'd love this myself! Villie would be a lot of fun! Vos is just way cool!)

How do you think it would sell if the TV show supported this and Hasbro decided to produce?

El Chuxter
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Would I buy who-who's whatsit?

No, I would not buy this. I dig Quinnie and Villie, but the ship looks worse than a pink bulldog fetus.

DarkJedi5
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Nope, zero interest.

Darth Metalmute
05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Didn't the Green Goblin use one of those things to get around.

I would never buy this, but if they made one, it would have to come with Vos as I never saw him at the retail.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The ship looks like the V-19 without the middle wing, so if you really wanted it, you could customize something that could pass for it. But I don't want it.

El Chuxter
05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I would never buy this, but if they made one, it would have to come with Vos as I never saw him at the retail.

It might be a bit too late, but if you have Ross, Marshall's, or TJ Maxx, I saw most of the 2009 comic packs there a few months ago.

bigbarada
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Nope. Never read the comic, don't care about the characters, wouldn't even buy this as a Titanium on clearance.

Darth Jax
05-27-2010, 10:28 PM
No, as with all the EU ships, if it didn't appear significantly onscreen it just doesn't pique my interest

Tycho
05-28-2010, 10:25 AM
No one's stated whether they'd like Quinlan and Villie to appear in the Clone Wars cartoon.

That's possible.

And at this point, Quinlan could still be a Dark Jedi agent for Count Dooku!

They're kind of fuzzy about the Clone Wars timeline that way.

DarkArtist
05-28-2010, 10:40 AM
actually it's a pretty cool looking design...kinda Naboo like. I'd say YES if the price was right.

Darth Metalmute
05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
No one's stated whether they'd like Quinlan and Villie to appear in the Clone Wars cartoon.

That's possible.

And at this point, Quinlan could still be a Dark Jedi agent for Count Dooku!

They're kind of fuzzy about the Clone Wars timeline that way.

It would be interested to see them in the series, although hopefully as side characters and not as a main story arc.

Although I wonder if they have some sort of restriction like Boba Fett had for years.

JediTricks
05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
No, I don't like the design, it's too thin and simple, and no weapons. And it's pink.

The ship looks like the V-19 without the middle wing, so if you really wanted it, you could customize something that could pass for it. But I don't want it.
I was thinking the same thing about the V-19, and about that I don't want it. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Didn't the Green Goblin use one of those things to get around.

A Target near me still has a lonely Quinlan and Villie comic pack sitting on its pegs. Do you want me to pick it up for you?

Darth Metalmute
05-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you, but no. I'm only interested in the post ROTJ comics packs. Well, post until they get into Legacy.

Snowtrooper
05-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Hate it. Absolutely not.

bigbarada
05-29-2010, 12:01 AM
I know you only want to discuss the vehicle in question in this thread, but can I nominate two EU vehicles that I would actually buy, so that you can poll for them to see how they do?

The TIE Defender and Bossk's Hound's Tooth are probably the only EU vehicles that I would seriously consider buying.

Tycho
05-29-2010, 01:15 AM
It would be interested to see them in the series, although hopefully as side characters and not as a main story arc.

Although I wonder if they have some sort of restriction like Boba Fett had for years.

I don't know if Dark Horse Comics has any hold over them. But even if Quinlan is going to be seen in the live-action series, post-ROTS / pre-ANH, I don't see why he'd be off-limits before Episode 3.

No, I don't like the design, it's too thin and simple, and no weapons. And it's pink.

It's a silver ship. The comic book artist was trying to show the silver reflecting a sunset or otherwise pink atmosphere wherever the Inferno was landing.

I'm only interested in the post ROTJ comics packs. Well, post until they get into Legacy.

I know you only want to discuss the vehicle in question in this thread, but can I nominate two EU vehicles that I would actually buy, so that you can poll for them to see how they do?

The TIE Defender and Bossk's Hound's Tooth are probably the only EU vehicles that I would seriously consider buying.

Actually, poll requests are honored ASAP. I've done at least 2 for you already (Darth Vader's TIE, Dud Bolt's Podracer).

Sure I'll take requests for polls! With the Expanded Universe, I'm going backwards in the chronology with one entry from a novel or comic series, and then moving on. With the popular (winning) books, I'm going to go back and re-cover another selection from that selection.

I think the TIE Defender comes from a video game set (at least) after ESB if I'm not mistaken.

The Hound's Tooth hails from SOTE or Battle of the Bounty Hunters (a one-shot set during SOTE).

Xizor's Virago won in SOTE, and the Outrider was offered (and won) for ANH (SE). So I really want to see both The Hound's Tooth and the IG-2000 polled for when we get back there.

As to Legacy, Cade Skywalker's Mynock is probably the most iconic ship to come out of that series, but it failed when polled for 6-15. I don't think there's a reason to re-visit Legacy for any EU vehicle offering. So I will concentrate on more popular selections (like Clone Wars) when they come up again.

The next EU polls up will be selections from KOTOR and TOTJ, then back to the Post-ROTJ era with the first selection being from the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy.

El Chuxter
05-29-2010, 02:32 AM
The TIE Crawler from Dark Empire might be an interesting poll, too.

bigbarada
05-29-2010, 03:25 AM
I think the TIE Defender comes from a video game set (at least) after ESB if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah the TIE Defender is from the TIE Fighter computer games. But it's also worth noting that it has already been released as a toy three times. Once for the Action Fleet line, once as a Titanium and is currently on toy shelves now as a Lego set. So it would be interesting to know if there is a demand for it as a 3 3/4" vehicle. Personally I'd buy one even at the $65 pricepoint.

mtriv73
05-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Yeah the TIE Defender is from the TIE Fighter computer games. But it's also worth noting that it has already been released as a toy three times. Once for the Action Fleet line, once as a Titanium and is currently on toy shelves now as a Lego set. So it would be interesting to know if there is a demand for it as a 3 3/4" vehicle. Personally I'd buy one even at the $65 pricepoint.

I'd buy 6 of them at $65. (The tie defender, not the starship in this thread. I don't think I'd waste the storage space on it if they were giving them away.)

JediTricks
05-31-2010, 04:33 PM
It's a silver ship. The comic book artist was trying to show the silver reflecting a sunset or otherwise pink atmosphere wherever the Inferno was landing.It's dreadful in any color, but silver it'd be way too similar to the Naboo royal ships.

Tycho
06-03-2010, 04:22 PM
According to a post at YakFace with the SKU numbers for upcoming Clone Wars figures, Quinlan Vos will be making an appearance in the Animated Series next season!

Thus, we may also see Villie and The Inferno!

El Chuxter
06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Though I'm not a fan, I say good. They need to do something with him. Having him survive Order 66 only to vanish altogether was silly.

Especially with him married, with a kid, on Kashyyyk... and not named Marek.

Tycho
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Villie's (Quinlan Vos') Inferno loses 2-8.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the most well-known EU ship from the Republic comics.

That might knock Republic out of the EU polling series.

El Chuxter
06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
You say that as if it is somehow represents a defeat for Republic as a comic. Most of the folks in the comic were flying around in vehicles that were already seen in other sources. Republic was one of the best Star Wars comics ever made; it was certainly the best ongoing.

You mentioned in another thread that the defeat of the Mynock (?) was not a good sign for EU vehicles. If you're really concerned, I'd turn to older EU. For various reasons (partly because it's been around longer), it's more familiar to most people. I'd recommend doing the Z-95 Headhunter next; I've seen a lot of comments about it over the years. It's definitely one of the few unmade vehicles I'd buy if they didn't totally botch it.

Tycho
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I am doing a poll for the Z-95 later on down the list.

I too loved Republic as one of my all-time favorite comics. Still, it's sort of a defeat for new vehicles from this source. You are correct - on screen prequel vehicles were used to great effect in the series and there were few well-known original ones (the Inferno being the most recurring that I can recall).

But we've had 3 EU vehicle winners:

Xizor's Virago
Skipray Blastboat
Moldy Crow.

Darth Metalmute
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
You mentioned in another thread that the defeat of the Mynock (?) was not a good sign for EU vehicles. If you're really concerned, I'd turn to older EU. For various reasons (partly because it's been around longer), it's more familiar to most people. I'd recommend doing the Z-95 Headhunter next; I've seen a lot of comments about it over the years. It's definitely one of the few unmade vehicles I'd buy if they didn't totally botch it.

The Mynock would be a horrible example to use as a sign for EU. First off, lets say that Legacy is a decent comic, which is a stretch. Then let's say it's good enough to make toys from, which has figures, but lets face it, that was a Lucasfilms conspiracy. In order to make vehicles, the main goal can't be to sell them for dioramas. And without their own figure line, there is no reason to make them. Same goes for comics from the Old Republic. No need to do vehicles without their own figure line.

EU Vehicles that have a chance to get made have to lie between The Phantom Menace and Zahn's The Last Command. There are alot of EU vehicles within this timespan from video games that would be voted for and made. Just look at the one's from the previous poll. No vehicle outside this timeframe has won. Yeah I would love a Coralskipper, but without an army of Vong, it ain't gonna happen.

Random Musing of the Day: The Imperial Army went through three trooper uniform changes between the Clone Wars and A New Hope (20 years). How come they did not change at all for Legacy? No improvements? No better visors that help them aim? So the same Imperial trooper uniform that lost to the Rebel Alliance because they couldn't shot the broad side of a barn over took a government?

El Chuxter
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Random Musing of the Day: The Imperial Army went through three trooper uniform changes between the Clone Wars and A New Hope (20 years). How come they did not change at all for Legacy? No improvements? No better visors that help them aim? So the same Imperial trooper uniform that lost to the Rebel Alliance because they couldn't shot the broad side of a barn over took a government?

More that the Stormtroopers were designed in the real world to be a faceless army. The Clonetroopers were designed (again, real world) to sell lots of toys. There's no acceptable explanation for why guys with exactly the same brains and lack of free will (or so we're told in AOTC) would customize their armor so much, in so many different ways.

The creators of Legacy didn't expect toys to be made, so they went with the tried-and-true classic.

Tycho
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Legacy has its figure-line though:

3 comic packs:

Darth Krayyt / Sigel Dare
Cade Skywalker / Darth Talon
Antares Draco / Ganner Krieg

You can count R2-D2 and K'Kruhk as well as Stormtroopers and other various Imperials.

And somehow they're going to bring out Darth Nihlus and Deliah Blue.

and Republic:

Quinlan Vos / Villie
Quinlan Vos / Cmdr. Faie
Tree S'aa / Master Tholme
Tol Skorr
Alpha
Durge
Assassin Droid

You can also count Aayla Secura, Ventress, Aurra Sing

In any case, if you look at the figures made, the Mynock and the Inferno are the vehicles that make the most sense if any specific ship from these sources were to be made first.

Meanwhile, I agree with Darth Metalmute that the strongest contenders will be (and have been) from the era between TPM and either the Zhan Trilogy or Dark Empire (which takes place just after the Zahn saga).

Still I'm going to do at least two more polls now (and a third later) that poke around KOTOR and TOTJ as well. This way every era will have a chance from The Golden Age of the Sith to Legacy.

Then we'll repeat. In the meantime, I'm recording requests for ships like the TIE Defender or the bounty hunters' ships which I'll get to because some of you guys want them.

El Chuxter
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I know there are Legacy figures now. My point is that, when the series launched, no one expected that. I'm sure we'd have some crazy-looking future Stormtroopers if that was seen as a possibility at that point.

And I don't count any figures as Legacy figures. Luke and his gang chased off the Yuuzhan Vong, and the galaxy lived happily ever after. :D

Oh, and that guy pretending to be Boba Fett wasn't. He was just a better impostornator than Jodo Kast had been. Boba is dead. lol

DarkJedi5
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
More that the Stormtroopers were designed in the real world to be a faceless army. The Clonetroopers were designed (again, real world) to sell lots of toys. There's no acceptable explanation for why guys with exactly the same brains and lack of free will (or so we're told in AOTC) would customize their armor so much, in so many different ways.

The creators of Legacy didn't expect toys to be made, so they went with the tried-and-true classic.

I've had some thoughts about the colorization of prequel clones. In AOTC the color is based on rank which makes sense; the commanders (Jedi) can't tell them apart easily and so an easy way to identify the chain of command is almost required. In ROTS the coloration varies instead based on the unit. Again, I always liked this idea because it reminded me of WWII infantry units which would have their own patches. Because the colors generally seem to relate to a Jedi commander, I felt that it was a way of showing the citizens of the Republic which Jedi was in charge the same way during WWII people had favorite generals they would follow (MacArthur, Patton, Bradley, etc.). It's the CW show that I just can't explain though. Each clone has his own armor, hair cut, tatoo, etc. Just the fact that it appears after AOTC but has disappeared before ROTS makes it very hard to reconcile and I find it rather lame.

Darth Metalmute
06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Legacy has its figure-line though:

3 comic packs:

Darth Krayyt / Sigel Dare
Cade Skywalker / Darth Talon
Antares Draco / Ganner Krieg

You can count R2-D2 and K'Kruhk as well as Stormtroopers and other various Imperials.

And somehow they're going to bring out Darth Nihlus and Deliah Blue.

I wouldn't count that as a figure line. Clone Wars is a figure line. SOTE was a figure line although short lived. The Legacy figures although apart of the Conic Pack figure line, are more like figures released here and there through the basic line.

Even though Vos's ship is in the timeline that I mentioned above, I don't think he has the appeal to award with a ship. Most of the ships I was thinking of are faceless ships; ex. TIE-Defender. The ones that are not faceless, are piloted by iconic figures from the film; ex. bounty hunters. Dash Rendar and Starkiller star in video games and could/have gotten their ships done. Vos has only appeared in the comics and even though he existed during the movies, never appeared. If Vos ever appears as a main character of a video game, (which would be a cool game) and the ship was in it, I can see his ship winning a poll in the future.

The timeline and character theory doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for a particular ship, (I would love Jaina's StealthX), it just means I don't think it would win.:(

Tycho
06-09-2010, 06:22 AM
It was confirmed that Quinlan Vos will be in Clone Wars Season 3.

There are a lot or Republic military ships he can get around on, but the Inferno (and Villie) might appear with him.

It would be cool if Aayla and Bly were also in Quin's episode(s).