PDA

View Full Version : Razzie noms - your thoughts please

2-1B
02-28-2002, 08:39 PM
Do any of you pay attention to these "awards"? I like to check them every year to see what films really get slammed :eek:

I must say I am baffled by the fact that Bubble Boy got NO nominations for 2001. But I find it hilarious that Penelope Cruz (a favorite 'round these parts ;)) was nominated in not one but three roles!

Here's the list of nominations, taken from razzies.com. What do you feel was omitted? Are there any films/stars on the ballot that should NOT have been included ?
WORST PICTURE:
DRIVEN
FREDDY GOT FINGERED
GLITTER
PEARL HARBOR
3000 MILES TO GRACELAND

WORST ACTOR:
Ben Affleck/PEARL HARBOR
Kevin Costner/3000 MILES TO GRACELAND
Tom Green/FREDDY GOT FINGERED
Keanu Reeves/HARDBALL and SWEET NOVEMBER
John Travolta/DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE and SWORDFISH

WORST ACTRESS:
Mariah Carey/GLITTER
Penelope Cruz/BLOW and CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN and VANILLA SKY
Angelina Jolie/LARA CROFT: TOMB RAIDER and ORIGINALSIN
Jennifer Lopez/ANGEL EYES and THE WEDDING PLANNER
Charlize Theron/SWEET NOVEMBER

WORST SCREEN COUPLE:
Ben Affleck & EITHER Kate Beckinsale or JoshHartnett/PEARL HARBOR
Mariah Carey's Cleavage/GLITTER
Tom Green & Any Animal He Abuses/FREDDY GOT FINGERED
Burt Reynolds & Sylvester Stallone/DRIVEN
Kurt Russell & EITHER Kevin Costner or Courtney Cox/3000 MILES TO GRACELAND

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Max Beesley/GLITTER
Charlton Heston/CATS & DOGS, PLANET OF THE APES and TOWN & COUNTRY
Burt Reynolds/DRIVEN
Sylvester Stallone/DRIVEN
Rip Torn/FREDDY GOT FINGERED

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Drew Barrymore (The Ex-Mrs. Tom Green) FREDDY GOT FINGERED
Courtney Cox/3000 MILES TO GRACELAND
Julie Haggerty/FREDDY GOT FINGERED
Goldie Hawn/TOWN & COUNTRY
Estella Warren/DRIVEN and PLANET OF THE APES

WORST REMAKE or SEQUEL:
CROCODILE DUNDEE in L.A.
JURASSIC PARK III
PEARL HARBOR
PLANET OF THE APES
SWEET NOVEMBER

WORST DIRECTOR:
Michael Bay/PEARL HARBOR
Peter Chelsom (w/Warren Beatty) TOWN & COUNTRY
Vondie Curtis Hall/GLITTER
Renny Harlin/DRIVEN

WORST SCREENPLAY:
DRIVEN Screenplay by Sylvester Stallone, Story by Jan Skrentny & Neal Tabachnick
FREDDY GOT FINGERED Written by Tom Green & Derek Harvie
GLITTER Screenplay by Kate Lanier, Story by Cheryl L. West
PEARL HARBOR Written by Randall Wallace
3000 MILES TO GRACELAND Written by Richard Recco and Demian Lichtenstein

Beast
02-28-2002, 09:09 PM
I see, or hope that Pearl Harbor sweeps all the awards that it's nominated for. I haven't seen many of the other films nominated, but judging by the dislike of Michael Bay, I can't see them not tossing as many razzies as possible at that film. Charlton Heston being nominated for Worst Supporting Actor is kinda a suprise. As for the others, I don't wanna take a guess since I haven't seen most of those films.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
03-01-2002, 09:41 AM
I would see Hannibal, Spy Kids, TomRaider, Shallow Hal, and Vanilla Sky on the list before Pearl Harbor. It wasn't an AWESOME film, but it's mediocrity led a lot of people to slam it more than it deserved.

And how is it a sequel?

Obi-Don
03-01-2002, 09:48 AM
I think The Animal should be in there. I don't think I laughed or even smiled at all through the whole movie. It was just a waste of time and flim.

mabudonicus
03-01-2002, 01:17 PM
OUCH!! Them's fightin words!! I was editing my profile yesterday, and seeing the title of that film makes me wish I'd put that in the "words you don't wanna see" column. That film was the first one I ever went to with my current ladyfriend. I'll never forget it- the only point of interest in the film was the fact that any film could be SOOOOOO much worse than the TERRIBLE film preceding it.
For action films, I must, regretfully, nominate "Kiss of the Dragon" and "the one". I LOVE Jet Li, in films such as "daichi fistfighter", and "fist of legend"(AMAZING!!!), but these two big releases just had me shaking my head throughout. Don't get me wrong, some of the scenes in both films were great, but watching them gave me a disturbing sense that they were designed to ruin the poor (deadly) guy's name and career so wooden guys like Travolta and Willis could once again define the "rugged action hero" archetype.
Or maybe it's just me. The list would be longer, but I just don't go to see movies too much.

2-1B
03-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I would see Hannibal, Spy Kids, TomRaider, Shallow Hal, and Vanilla Sky on the list before Pearl Harbor. It wasn't an AWESOME film, but it's mediocrity led a lot of people to slam it more than it deserved.

And how is it a sequel?

The category allows for remake or sequel, so I guess it's a remake. But how? I'm sure there are other movies called Pearl Harbor, and obviously many others about the attack. To my knowledge though, there are no other Pearl Harbor love triangle movies out there :sur:

I forgot about Tomb Raider - I agree it was one of the worst films last year.

Vanilla Sky - I think there were some good ideas behind it, I just thought it came off as . . . . pretty stupid. Before seeing it, I read an article with Cameron Crowe about how it was based on all of these pop culture institutions and the fact that Tom Cruise himself was pop culture. It sounded intriguing to me, but I didn't pick that up from the film at all. It was pretty silly when they had to go back through and "highlight" some of the references (Abbey Road, Dylan, etc.). Ugh, the ending just failed by turning into a cheesy sci-fi type knock off of the Matrix since reality wasn't what it appeared to be.

Wow, a whole paragraph about Vanilla Sky :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
03-01-2002, 01:43 PM
If Tom Cruise is so POP and what not, maybe he should have just been put in a TNN commercial.
Everyone knows they've got POP!!

2-1B
03-01-2002, 02:07 PM
And TNN has the WWF . . . and WWF stars work for a POP . . . God help us :eek:

Fulit
03-01-2002, 02:48 PM
The Razzie people all made good choices except for Tom Green. The exception being Tom Green MEANT to make a bad, stupid movie. The whole thing was a joke, on the audience and most of all, Hollywood. Obviously the Razzie people didn't get it. Tom probably SET OUT to nab himself a Razzie for that movie, so the jokes not on him, it's on the Razzie people.

I think the Golden Raspberry should be given only to movies that people were serious about when they made them. (Driven, Glitter, etc...) It should be obvious to anyone that watches "Freddy Got Fingered" that it's a farce and not to be taken seriously even as a comedy.

Oh, and next year's nominations better include that crap Britney Spears came out with this year. Matter of fact, any movie with a pop star in it should be instantly nominated.

2-1B
03-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Britney Spears + pink underwear scene + a second pink underwear scene = box office success. :crazed:

Britney Spears + acting job with a script = a certain Razzie nom ;)

Rollo Tomassi
03-01-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Wow, a whole paragraph about Vanilla Sky :crazed:

Shame on you.:rolleyes: ;)

It should be obvious to anyone that watches "Freddy Got Fingered" that it's a farce and not to be taken seriously even as a comedy.

Anybody who watched this should get a Razzie.:crazed: :(

Fulit
03-01-2002, 05:49 PM

I'll watch anything for free. Don't Razzie me!:rolleyes:

2-1B
03-06-2002, 01:50 AM

Um, what if someone bought the DVD ? Errrrrrrrrr, not me, but . . .some guy . . . I know . . . who bought it ? :eek:

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Sorry guys. My opinion that Freddie Got Fingered was a horrible film was an unjustified disaparaging slant against anyone who is a fan of Tom Green or his film. We are not allowed to discuss anything in the forums anymore unless we can have a 100% concensus about our opinions. Opposing ideas are NOT allowed, especially if you can back them up with articulate reasoning. We will therefore be breaking this thread into the following sub-threads and you may ONLY go into the thread that best suits you and you may NOT disagree with anyone in said sub thread. Anyone voicing their own opinion in that thread that does not STRICTLY comply with the pre determined elements of the thread will be swiftly reported to the mods.

Razzies are cool.

Razzies are silly.

I agree with all the Razzie noms.

I agree with some of the Razzie noms (but I am not allowed to say which ones, as this will cause dissent and chaos in the thread)

I disagree with all the Razzie noms.

I liked Pearl harbor.

Pearl Harbor was O.K.

Pearl Harbor wasn't that good.

Pearl Harbor sucked.

Tom Green is cool.

Tom Green is a buffoon.

Tom Green and FGF are cool.

Tom Green is O/K but FGF was terrible.

Tom Green AND FGF were not good.

This thread is very good.

This thread is NOT very good.

Thank you for your time.

:mad:

Fulit
03-06-2002, 10:41 AM
We are not allowed to discuss anything in the forums anymore unless we can have a 100% concensus about our opinions.

Why not?

Mandalorian Candidat
03-06-2002, 10:57 AM
I have to add Spy Game to the list. I saw that POC at a dollar theater and thought I spent 99 cents too much. There was a) no suspense, b) a lack of decent acting, and c)predictable "plot twists." The chick that Brad Pitt was interested in was like the bottom of the barrell as far as bad actresses with marginal looks goes. I would believe that Michael Jackson never had plastic surgery before I would give credence to the crappy plot line of this movie.:frus:

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Fulit

Why not?

Sorry. I was on a rant. There is another thread (which shall remain nameless) where another forumite (who shall also remain nameless) had issues with me pointing out inconsistencies in his theory and offering up rebuttal arguments. He asked a moderator (yet again, nameless) to intervene and the communique I received from him boiled down to "keep your opinions to yourself" which I had a real issue with since this is a forum.

I have since contacted the mod, who clarified his earlier statement to my satisfaction and now everything is copacetic.

:D

2-1B
03-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Spy Game!

An excellent choice Mandalorian Candidat, certainly worthy of a Razzie dishonor!

I thought it was funny, the way Leatherface so easily duped his CIA bosses. Don't spies have to work at their craft? :D

And his secretary! If she had such skills useful in "the game", why wasn't she out in the field setting up marks? :eek:

SithDroid
03-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
The Razzie people all made good choices except for Tom Green. The exception being Tom Green MEANT to make a bad, stupid movie. The whole thing was a joke, on the audience and most of all, Hollywood. Obviously the Razzie people didn't get it. Tom probably SET OUT to nab himself a Razzie for that movie, so the jokes not on him, it's on the Razzie people.

I think the Golden Raspberry should be given only to movies that people were serious about when they made them. (Driven, Glitter, etc...) It should be obvious to anyone that watches "Freddy Got Fingered" that it's a farce and not to be taken seriously even as a comedy.

Oh, and next year's nominations better include that crap Britney Spears came out with this year. Matter of fact, any movie with a pop star in it should be instantly nominated.

I agree with you Fulit. It isn't like Tom Green said to himself, "I think this will get nominated for an Oscar." It was meant to be a stupid Tom Green humor movie and it delivered what it intended.

Britney Spears definately needs to be nominated next year along with Lance Bass (N'SYNC). Kung Pow Enter the Fist, Rollerball, and Crossroads all deserve to be nominated for next year as well.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Spy Game!

An excellent choice Mandalorian Candidat, certainly worthy of a Razzie dishonor!

I thought it was funny, the way Leatherface so easily duped his CIA bosses. Don't spies have to work at their craft? :D

And his secretary! If she had such skills useful in "the game", why wasn't she out in the field setting up marks? :eek:

Leatherface!!! HAH!!! :D Fits him perfectly. And what was up with the R rating. I couldn't figure that one out. Maybe it was restricted to keep teenagers from being exposed to hackneyed cinema.

Rollo Tomassi
03-08-2002, 01:23 PM
I liked Spy games. It wasn't a mastepiece, but it's not in the same crap league like FGF. I think they were trying to show the transition between "Leatherface's" hands on, cold war style and the new corporate style of "spying' that included watching satellite feed and CNN. Of course he outplayed them. I agree about the woman. Why does there always have to a love interest in movies? it gets tired after awhile. It was rated R because of the body count. For some strange reason, the MPAA doesn't want children exposed to acts of violence. Silly MPAA.

2-1B
03-08-2002, 01:30 PM
I liked Spy games. It wasn't a mastepiece, but it's not in the same crap league like FGF.

No dispute there ;)

2-1B
04-04-2002, 03:29 AM
I forgot all about the Razzies until I heard that Tom Green showed up in person to accept his awards. Congrats Tom :rolleyes:

Worst Picture
FREDDY GOT FINGERED (20th Century-Fox)

Worst Actor

Worst Actress
Mariah Carey/GLITTER (20th Century-Fox/Columbia)

Worst Supporting Actor
Charlton Heston/CATS & DOGS (Warner Bros.)
PLANET of the APES (20th Century-Fox) and TOWN & COUNTRY (New Line)

Worst Supporting Actress
Estella Warren/DRIVEN (Warner Bros.) and PLANET of the APES

Worst Screen Couple
Tom Green & Any Animal He Abuses/FREDDY GOT FINGERED

Worst Remake or Sequel
PLANET of the APES(20th Century-Fox)

Worst Director

Worst Screenplay
FREDDY GOT FINGERED, Written by Tom Green and Derek Harvie

TOTAL 'WINS' . . . FREDDY GOT FINGERED - 5

5 Awards ties FREDDY with MOMMIE DEAREST,
THE POSTMAN and WILD WILD WEST

Lord Malakite
04-04-2002, 03:38 AM
Tom was on Conan O'Brien a few nights ago showing off his razzies.

boss nass
04-04-2002, 03:50 AM
heres my 2 cents PEARL HARBOR SUCKED it's a chick flick what a disgrace 9/10ths love story 1/10th invasion lets tell the real story here not Ben Allflack getting a woody!!!:mad:

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 03:59 AM
I think there are too many bad movies coming out these days to limit just one "Worst Picture" award. A few buddies of mine recently rented "Glitter" just to see how bad it was, and they said it was worse than "Battlefield Earth," a personal favorite of ours because of it's horrendenous. It still amazes me that crap like this still gets made. I also thought Pearl Harbor was God awful. The crap they try to make in Hollywood these days still gives me chest pains.

I just recently saw Spy Game and I thought it was pretty decent. Certainly not the best movie out, but better than most of the drivel out there.

As for B. Spears and that nsync guy for Razzies next year... screw it, just kill them off. Make the world a better place for future generations by not having our youth subjected to such crap. How long did the "New Kids on the Block" last? Aren't we about due for a break from this pop medium known as "Pop?"

SithDroid
04-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
How long did the "New Kids on the Block" last? Aren't we about due for a break from this pop medium known as "Pop?"

We can only hope.

derek
04-04-2002, 09:23 PM
caeser,

in reference to penelope cruz in your opening post, i have to say i like her, but two things now come to mind when i hear her name:

1. rollo's "horseface" nick-name for her
2. howard stern going off on a tangent when her name is mentioned. he goes on and on about how she should be cleaning people's houses for a living. "she can't act",he says. "she can barely speak english!" hi-larious!:)

SWAFMAN
04-04-2002, 11:41 PM
from Wolfwood319:

I think there are too many bad movies coming out these days to limit just one "Worst Picture"

Amen to that.

And what ever happened to originality? I don't mean to sound hypocritical here, in a Star Wars-related site and all, but sometimes I curse the people who came up with the idea of doing film sequels. In all fairness, SW is a legitimate exception, because it is really more like one contiguous story that is just too long (not to mention too expensive) to produce in one humongous part. But no one can successfully argue to me that Lethal Weapon 4 was essential to address the burning unanswered questions left by the preceding three films. And the list of sequels made for no reason other than filmmakers' greed and ticket buyers' gullibility is nearly endless.

(as are my rants.... sorry :) )

2-1B
04-04-2002, 11:50 PM
That's a legitimate complaint Swaffy, I feel that if a movie is part of a planned series, there is room for expansion and possibly a better film (ESB ;) ). But too many sequels are made just because the first one made decent scratch at the box office.

Wolfwood319
04-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Ceaser, this new avatar is even more frieghtening than the last. :eek:

Your right about too many sequels and remakes these days. Its like Hollywood ran out of ideas and just decided to remake or sequealize old movies.:rolleyes:

I've about had it with most movies though. I saw "Death to Smoochy" tonight, and it was pretty bad. The sad thing is that I was looking forward to this movie as one of my top 10 I wanted to see this year.:(

2-1B
04-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by derek
1. rollo's "horseface" nick-name for her

*shaking my fist at Rollo* You ruined her for me too! I can't even see a PPV promo for Corelli's Mandolin without thinking to myself, "horseface". :D

Wolfy, sorry about Smoochy. I was looking forward to it myself, but I doubt I'll get to the cinema to see it myself.

Hey! We got moved to the new Movie forum :)

derek
04-05-2002, 10:55 PM
SWAFMAN,

i'm with you on lethal weapon 4. it sucked bad. i'd bet money that danny glover BEGGED mel gibson to do this film because he needed the work. horrible film. i bet they filmed it on weekends between mel's other work.:) horrible.:)

Rollo Tomassi
04-06-2002, 09:04 AM
*shaking my fist at Rollo* You ruined her for me too! I can't even see a PPV promo for Corelli's Mandolin without thinking to myself, "horseface". :D

So you guys are mad at me for opening your eyes to the truth?;)

I've noticed over times her ugliness spreads like a cancer. I used to find her "plain" and then "unattractive". But now whenever I see her, she is downright "Fugly"...

FUGLY.

:Pirate: Yeargh.