PDA

View Full Version : TVC Wave 2 (ROTS) thread

bigbarada
05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS97568B

Still more interested in seeing these figures carded. Nothing really stands out personally for me, except the Sandtrooper looks like the one from the Dewback set last year. :thumbsup: Guaranteed to buy a couple of those guys, I just wish they gave him the orange pauldron; but it's easy enough to pull that off one of my SL Sandtroopers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
The new ROTS figures look really cool. Sidious has a combination of soft goods and plastic that will hopefully look good on the actual figure. The robes look to be more or less the correct colors and not too bunchy - and that face is creepy! Anakin's arm is positioned weirdly, like it got broken off - but I'm excited for a ROTS Anakin with ball-joint elbows and Sith eyes (finally!). Both Grievous and his bodyguard look fantastic! The clone was a wasted opportunity to release the Utapau trooper in a better color scheme - and I wonder what picture they'll put on his card, as the only all-white troopers in the film are on the gunship behind Mace and Obi-Wan.

AmanaMatt
05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I'll get a cody to open as I never found him last time; a Grevious, maybe the Emperor depending on how he looks and the Sandtrooper - hope the belt is not yellow this time around

bigbarada
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
and I wonder what picture they'll put on his card, as the only all-white troopers in the film are on the gunship behind Mace and Obi-Wan.

They'll probably just go with one of the promotional shots with a background dropped in.

I'm pretty interested to see what photo they use for the Sandtrooper. Been wanting to see an "official" vintage carded Sandtrooper for decades now.

bigbarada
05-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Does anyone else think that the Clonetrooper looks a bit like an all-white "repaint" of Commander Gree?

El Chuxter
05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Time will tell if the real deal looks as good as the promo pic, but that Sidious looks pretty sweet.

Obsession is Nute
05-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Another year, another ROTS wave...no Nute Gunray. ::Sighs.:: There is always 2011, I suppose.

The sculpts look great, though.

Snowtrooper
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Sandtrooper, Magnaguard, and Sidious are the only ones that are interesting. The rest are kinda meh.

DarkArtist
05-28-2010, 09:39 AM
pics look nice. can't wait to see them at retail...that Sidious will be mine. can't wait to have him in a Senate Duel pose with Yoda.

really need to see how Anakin's eyes look up close before making my decision but since he looks like the recent Anakin figures but now with Sith Eyes I'll eventually get him.

Sandtrooper is a definate....might have to get a few of him.

Grievous looks cool. will have to wait and see what he's like at retail before making my final decision.

Magna Guard looks great, definately getting a couple of these guys.... hoping that Hasbro does a running change and gives us the blue version of the guard as well.

Obi Wan is meh for me.

Clone Trooper - if it is a repaint of the TAC Gree then I'm all for it...if it's just another Saga Legends trooper repacked than it's a pass.

Tycho
05-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Grievous, his Magna Guard, and the Emperor from the Yoda-Duel look interesting.

The rest will be a pass for me.

That's really cool actually. I need to save some money and pay off some debt.

Slicker
05-28-2010, 09:49 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again the PT is NOT vintage. I just don't agree with them being put on vintage style cards. The only figures that should be put on vintage style cards are the damn figures that were originally released on them. Hasbro's oversaturating and killing another great line.

sonofsokol
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I can't tell from the picture, but I wonder if they fixed/corrected Cody's belt? Not that it bothered me too much, but since it was brought up to them, I would hope that they would have fixed that.

Since finding the last Legacy wave, I am going crazy wating for new stuff.

El Chuxter
05-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again the PT is NOT vintage. I just don't agree with them being put on vintage style cards. The only figures that should be put on vintage style cards are the damn figures that were originally released on them. Hasbro's oversaturating and killing another great line.

Honestly, I still don't really agree with them putting any new figures on vintage cards, but they all go in the recycling bin, so it's no biggie.

Slicker
05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I still don't really agree with them putting any new figures on vintage cards, but they all go in the recycling bin, so it's no biggie.If 5 years is "vintage" then I should probably get a "vintage" plate for my truck since it's 8 years old. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
It's not about the figures, characters, or films being old. It's just that everyone loves the look of the vintage cards, and now they're applying it to new characters. Hasbro has said they're doing this line as if the original line of figures had never ended. It's as simple as that.

El Chuxter
05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I've no problem with the basic design, but dredging up a company name that's not been in use for over ten years is a bit silly.

I think that all Spider-Man comics should henceforth be published by Timely Magazines. 'Cause, you know, the vintage design is kewl.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Does anyone else think that the Clonetrooper looks a bit like an all-white "repaint" of Commander Gree?
Brian's Toys has larger (not huge, but sizable) pictures of these figures, and while it's not a straight repaint of Commander Gree (given the backpack, suspenders, and so on), it does look like the Clone Trooper has upgraded articulation compared to the current mold (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCSL27cloneROTS.asp). Check out the thighs for the most obvious sign. I wasn't going to get this one, but now he's on the list.

dindae
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I just can't seem to get excited about this wave. I already have more of all of these figures than I need and while these may be better I just doubt that I care enough. I can see picking up a Magnaguard or two but that is about it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Someone on Lightspeed (http://lichtgeschwindigkeit.de/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6823&p=183735#p183735) got a photo of the front and back of the Commander Cody card, in the UGH foil design. I like the ROTS logo, but I'm not sure why they put the line under "Sith" and not above the rest. I really like the character photo.

But I'm not really sure about the depiction of the TSC and ROTS cards on the back. It's quite an odd choice. I understand putting images of the actual vintage cards for comparison, but with the modern figures on there, it seems like more of a reminder that, "hey, you already have this character." The need to bring back the bios already.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2010, 12:22 AM
You're clearly all so thrilled by Cody, so here's more news. :p I didn't notice it myself, but the belt is actually finally properly right-side-up. I still like the 2009 one enough to possibly not pick this one up, but it's somewhat tempting.

El Chuxter
07-17-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm really not trying to sound jerky, but how did someone discover the Clonetrooper belts were upside down? Once it was pointed out online, I looked and could see that the buckles were indeed in a position that implied the pouches were upside down, but who was the guy who was looking so closely at the minute details on the figures and noticed a problem with such a small, unpainted piece?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure. Some people compare figures with photos of the character, and would have noticed that way. Cody is more obvious, with the orange-colored panel being on the wrong side, and Obi-Wan's lightsaber hanging from the wrong side. The plain ones aren't obvious, obviously. :D

DarkArtist
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
couple of days to go till SDCC and can't wait to see detailed pics of this wave and hopefully Wave 3 as well.

JediTricks
07-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Someone on Lightspeed (http://lichtgeschwindigkeit.de/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6823&p=183735#p183735) got a photo of the front and back of the Commander Cody card, in the UGH foil design. I like the ROTS logo, but I'm not sure why they put the line under "Sith" and not above the rest. I really like the character photo.Yeah, I noticed that line too, very odd, my guess is they didn't have room for it. It's not like the ROTJ cards with no line at the bottom, that line here throws the whole logo off IMO.

But I'm not really sure about the depiction of the TSC and ROTS cards on the back. It's quite an odd choice. I understand putting images of the actual vintage cards for comparison, but with the modern figures on there, it seems like more of a reminder that, "hey, you already have this character." The need to bring back the bios already.Totally agreed on all fronts.

You're clearly all so thrilled by Cody, so here's more news. :p I didn't notice it myself, but the belt is actually finally properly right-side-up. I still like the 2009 one enough to possibly not pick this one up, but it's somewhat tempting.Yeah, I'm not thrilled about any of this wave, it's a bit of a snore. But glad to see our Q&A efforts are making a difference, it's the fans that brought the belt thing to their attention.

I'm really not trying to sound jerky, but how did someone discover the Clonetrooper belts were upside down? Once it was pointed out online, I looked and could see that the buckles were indeed in a position that implied the pouches were upside down, but who was the guy who was looking so closely at the minute details on the figures and noticed a problem with such a small, unpainted piece?No idea who it was, but I can see why it'd stand out, their belt packs are unusual in design since they open facing down and the figures weren't emulating that.

Tycho
07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
but who was the guy who was looking so closely at the minute details on the figures and noticed a problem with such a small, unpainted piece?

Well, I've long been able to tell variations in the smells of the figures and could tell you a lot about the different plastics they use and which ones are more potent to sniff :crazed:

bkusna
08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Seems like TRU should be getting these pretty soon....sometime this week?:nerv::ermm:

bigbarada
08-07-2010, 12:13 AM
The only figure from wave 2 that I'm looking forward to is the Sandtrooper repack. Otherwise, let's get it out of the way so we can move on to wave 3. :yes:

El Chuxter
08-07-2010, 12:18 AM
That's the wave with Grievous, right? I'll get him, and probably the MagnaGuard. Should be a cheap wave for me. :D

BB, is there something special about the Sandtrooper, or do you just want it for a Sandtrooper on a vintage-styled card?

DarkJedi5
08-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah Wave 2 is a snore. Grievous is interesting but I won't be too excited. The Magna Guard is pretty cool... I may get a Cody to customize. The Sandtrooper is of no interest even with the ball jointed hips since I've got two already from the Dewback and he lacks weathering. I will pick up a Darth Vader though in some pics his hair looks mighty stupid (like a bad toupee). The Sidious is pretty good but that's it, I'm only buying 4 maybe 5 of the figures in this wave though I will probably buy a few of the Magna Guards.

AmanaMatt
08-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I'll get about half the wave.........that Sandtrooper is really a pretty good standard stormie......

Neuroleptic
08-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Given what the figures are selling for (7.99 at target and, I belive a whopping 8.99 at wallyworld) I may just skip this entier wave. MAYBE pick up the sandtrooper. Right now im on the fence about him.

Most of the figures im interested in dont come out until January, which bothers me, as the stores here tend to re-stock with the stuff the just sold about that time and I wind up not seeing anything new until about June or so. And while I know that I will probably easily be able to find them on the second market (Ebay/on line stores etc) I hate to see what they'll be selling these figures for if the price doesnt come down.

Snowtrooper
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
There not a whole lot from the second wave I'll be getting for openers. I think basically the Magna Guard and Sidious is going to be it.

JediTricks
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
EE has them listed as next month, so in the next few weeks is my guess.

This wave is indeed not exciting to me either, it's just been too soon for a lot of these characters. I'm definitely getting the Magnaguard and Sandtrooper.

Grievous' cape isn't quite what I was looking for, but I kinda like the mold and concept, so I'll be on the fence there.

Senate Sidious I am going to wait for reviews, the cloak is so velvet-fuzzy that it looks weird, and the face is extreme, but it may have something good about the articulation which could sway me.

I don't think I'll bother with Anakin or Obi-Wan unless their head sculpts are better in production than at Comic-Con. It's not that they were bad, per se, just that these 2 versions have been done a lot the last 5 years and I'm burned out.

I can't wait until these themed waves go away. It's just been... DAMNIT! There's something I wish I had remembered to ask about at Comic-Con! Anyway, it's just run its course and feels more like an anchor now.

bigbarada
08-07-2010, 04:01 PM
BB, is there something special about the Sandtrooper, or do you just want it for a Sandtrooper on a vintage-styled card?

It's mostly the vintage card.

tagmac
08-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Only interested in Anakin because of the way the card looks, and Greivous, Sidious, and the Magna Guard as they are somewhat unique figures. At this point, I have anough Clones and Sandtroopers, so I'm skipping the rest. And this time, I'll wait for HTS to get them in as well, if I don't find them at WM first - not paying TRU's prices again if I can avoid it!

bkusna
08-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Only interested in Anakin because of the way the card looks, and Greivous, Sidious, and the Magna Guard as they are somewhat unique figures. At this point, I have anough Clones and Sandtroopers, so I'm skipping the rest. And this time, I'll wait for HTS to get them in as well, if I don't find them at WM first - not paying TRU's prices again if I can avoid it!

If you have it in you....i bought 2 sets of the first vintage wave at TRU the first week in July for $9.99 each.....then on 8/6/10 i found them at walmart for $7.00 each and returned them all back to TRU for $9.99 each.....that way i had the figures right when they came out....pain in the ***, i know....

Darth Metalmute
08-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I guess Hasbro missed the boat on this vintage wave if no one is interested in Wave 2.

I guess no one really wants prequal figures on old school cards.

DarkJedi5
08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I guess Hasbro missed the boat on this vintage wave if no one is interested in Wave 2.

I guess no one really wants prequal figures on old school cards.

That's not it at all. It's the lack of newness in this wave. There are only two 100% new figures in wave 2. Five have minor tweaks (new head, new cape, belt right-side-up, new paint) and one is a straight repack that is being offered on a card less than a year after it was first available. Hasbro missed the boat sure but not because of the cards, because of what's on them. I think this wave is really for the collectors who are just now coming back to the line because of the Vintage cards because if they've missed the last few years they don't have these figures. Otherwise (like me and a lot of the people here) you've got these figures and perhaps quite a few of them from their various releases over the past couple years.

JediTricks
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
That's not it at all. It's the lack of newness in this wave. There are only two 100% new figures in wave 2. Five have minor tweaks (new head, new cape, belt right-side-up, new paint) and one is a straight repack that is being offered on a card less than a year after it was first available. Hasbro missed the boat sure but not because of the cards, because of what's on them. I think this wave is really for the collectors who are just now coming back to the line because of the Vintage cards because if they've missed the last few years they don't have these figures. Otherwise (like me and a lot of the people here) you've got these figures and perhaps quite a few of them from their various releases over the past couple years.
That is a large part of it, but I do think Metalmute may be onto something, there's been almost no excitement from anybody about these figures on vintage cardbacks, and that's supposed to be the hook. I originally theorized that the gimmick would work for 6 to 9 months, but it may be a matter of weeks at most.

The worst part is, if this gimmick doesn't work, the future of realistic saga figures may be dire.

DarkJedi5
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I understand what you're saying but I feel that the carded collector has faded into a real minority in the community. I've never been a carded collector so I wouldn't know the first thing about it but it seems like the way Hasbro has managed the line over the past few years, there are not too many new characters to get to keep on the card. If that's the case, then does a new card really merit rebuying a figure you already bought?

For me, the Vintage cards are neat and I LOVE that they can no longer be confused with the CW and Legends lines (I got so sick of having to explain the difference to store employees when they said they had like 80 TLC figures on hand but when all that was on the shelf was the other stuff) but what I really care about is inside the packaging and this wave doesn't offer up much there either.

bigbarada
08-15-2010, 07:01 PM
That is a large part of it, but I do think Metalmute may be onto something, there's been almost no excitement from anybody about these figures on vintage cardbacks, and that's supposed to be the hook. I originally theorized that the gimmick would work for 6 to 9 months, but it may be a matter of weeks at most.

The worst part is, if this gimmick doesn't work, the future of realistic saga figures may be dire.

As someone who collects 99% OT stuff and ignores almost all PT stuff, I'm actually very annoyed that 3 of the first 5 waves of TVC are prequel themed waves. So that seriously hurts my enthusiasm for these figures. I would have preferred 4 OT waves (1 ESB, 1 ROTJ, 1 ANH, 1 mixed OT wave) and 1 mixed prequel wave.

For Prequel collectors, the overall lack of newness in the figure choices hurts the excitement level. Also, many adult collectors who were kids when the Prequels premiered aren't going to remember the vintage cards or have many nostalgic feelings for them. It will be an interesting novelty at first, but will take backseat to the character selections.

While it's awesome to see the vintage cardbacks make a return... again, ultimately they're just cardbacks. Once the pegwarmers settle themselves in for the long haul (I'm looking at you 4-LOM), then I don't see the vintage cards being that much of a draw. Seeing the same figures on the pegs day after day with no new stuff will get tiresome no matter what kind of card those figures are on.

As someone who grew up during the vintage line, I can recall that even the POTF cards were nothing special when all you saw were mountains of AT-ST Drivers and B-Wing pilots.

Darth Metalmute
08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
I like the vintage card look. I don't want my PT figures on it. Wave 1 is amazing because 1.) the figures are superior molds of the same previous figures; 2.) they look like the figures from the original Kenner line. Nostalgic sells, there is nothing nostalgic about the PT.

As for the PT, the appeal for me is pack-ins. I have a E1, E2 and E3 Obi Wan. I don't need mulitple versions of the same figure unless they are far superior that the previous. So if you want me to buy another Obi-Wan, you better have a great pack-in, because I'm not buying one just because of the pretty card.

I might pick up some of wave 2, but I'm afraid that the wave will not sell, and as a result, never see wave 3.

bkusna
08-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I like the vintage card look. I don't want my PT figures on it. Wave 1 is amazing because 1.) the figures are superior molds of the same previous figures; 2.) they look like the figures from the original Kenner line. Nostalgic sells, there is nothing nostalgic about the PT.

As for the PT, the appeal for me is pack-ins. I have a E1, E2 and E3 Obi Wan. I don't need mulitple versions of the same figure unless they are far superior that the previous. So if you want me to buy another Obi-Wan, you better have a great pack-in, because I'm not buying one just because of the pretty card.

I might pick up some of wave 2, but I'm afraid that the wave will not sell, and as a result, never see wave 3.

my walmarts and targets already have pegwarmer status for wave 1.....all lukes, bobas, and dacks gone but the pegs are packed with the rest of the wave....8 pegs full at walmart and 10 pegs at target.....we need a sale

Droid
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I really just cannot wait until they stop having these theme waves. If someone is only interested in the OT or the PT, then they might skip an entire wave. If they know the only new figures are from the PT, they might not even go out to the store at all.

They need to have something for everyone in a wave of figures. I would prefer that each wave could have a figure I want.

It also frustrates me when there are figures that Hasbro wants to make, but can't find a wave to squeeze them into.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I really just cannot wait until they stop having these theme waves. If someone is only interested in the OT or the PT, then they might skip an entire wave. If they know the only new figures are from the PT, they might not even go out to the store at all.

They need to have something for everyone in a wave of figures. I would prefer that each wave could have a figure I want.

It also frustrates me when there are figures that Hasbro wants to make, but can't find a wave to squeeze them into.
Next year, my man, next year . . .

JediTricks
08-16-2010, 09:02 PM
As someone who grew up during the vintage line, I can recall that even the POTF cards were nothing special when all you saw were mountains of AT-ST Drivers and B-Wing pilots.For me it was Squidhead, that figure was the worst pegwarmer I had ever seen as a kid, it'd always break my heart - I was looking for Luke Jedi and Leia Boushh, and it was Squidhead and Lando Skiff.

I like the vintage card look. I don't want my PT figures on it. Wave 1 is amazing because 1.) the figures are superior molds of the same previous figures; 2.) they look like the figures from the original Kenner line. Nostalgic sells, there is nothing nostalgic about the PT.I hate to say it, but yeah.

As for the PT, the appeal for me is pack-ins. I have a E1, E2 and E3 Obi Wan. I don't need mulitple versions of the same figure unless they are far superior that the previous. So if you want me to buy another Obi-Wan, you better have a great pack-in, because I'm not buying one just because of the pretty card. For me, it's about the accessories and sculpt quality and articulation, if they can be signficant upgrades, I can toss aside my old ones if it's someone I give a crap about. But not every character has earned that from me, not even in the OT.

I might pick up some of wave 2, but I'm afraid that the wave will not sell, and as a result, never see wave 3.That's not likely to happen, those waves are already sold, retailers aren't going to want to get shafted with them. If wave 2 doesn't sell, then wave 5 might see a downturn in production, or a delay, but not wave 3. Of course, retailers may not make room to shelve wave 3 as much, but such is the collector's lot in life.

my walmarts and targets already have pegwarmer status for wave 1.....all lukes, bobas, and dacks gone but the pegs are packed with the rest of the wave....8 pegs full at walmart and 10 pegs at target.....we need a saleI think it's too early to tell, but it doesn't look good for Dengar, 4-LOM, Vader, and Leia especially at this point.

It also frustrates me when there are figures that Hasbro wants to make, but can't find a wave to squeeze them into.Agreed all around! Next year can't come soon enough, as JabbaJohn points out. I should have asked a question about how that's going to work, it didn't occur to me until right now while I'm transcribing the interview.

DarkArtist
08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Hasbro was selling Wave 2 this weekend at CV so I'm guessing the they should be shipping to stores within the next few weeks or so... they were selling Wave cases and for those who were lucky to get them also got some of the UGH silver chase figures as well as the Mail-Away Boba Fett...

really wished Hasbro sold the mail-away Fett for sale at the booth...would have grabbed at least 2 of those.:thumbsup:

Sidious looks great up close as does Anakin (the sith eyes finally look good). Grievous looks like last years figure but with soft good cape and pockets for the lightsabers, and the magna guard looks awesome... the rest are really repacks. might get an extra Sandtrooper from the wave but thinking if might just be Sidious, Anakin and Magna Guard for me.

bkusna
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm never this lucky.....http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=5301&p=89294#p89294

El Chuxter
08-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Palpatine looks... well, I cannot say here what he looks like. I would be banned. Maybe I can use a synonym and say he looks like donkey.

bkusna
08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Palpatine looks... well, I cannot say here what he looks like. I would be banned. Maybe I can use a synonym and say he looks like donkey.

Hasbro has done so many things RIGHT this year, but for some reason.....this one is SOOOO WRONG!!!!!!!!! makes you wonder how they sat around at the oval table and all agreed that this is the DEFINITIVE palpatine??????

AmanaMatt
08-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm never this lucky.....

For $10 a fig, neither was that guy

bkusna
08-26-2010, 08:58 PM
For $10 a fig, neither was that guy

I don't let "the man" bring me down...I buy them at TRU for $9.99, and then about 6 weeks later they show up at Target and I buy them for $7.99...then it's return time to TRU.....just playn the game:whip:

AmanaMatt
08-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't let "the man" bring me down...I buy them at TRU for $9.99, and then about 6 weeks later they show up at Target and I buy them for $7.99...then it's return time to TRU.....just playn the game:whip:

Fair enough...............wave 2 is not as good as wave 1 or that ROTJ wave...now, that I am pumped for

bkusna
08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
For those of you who shop at TRU, they are changing the days the trucks arrive for the XMAS season.....TRUs in OKC are now getting their trucks in on M-W-F....saw 3 cases of wave 2 vintage there this morning....:thumbsup:

tagmac
08-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Found half the wave at one TRU this morning. They had Cody, Clone, Sandtrooper, and Obi-Wan, the latter two I picked up. Interestingly, I noticed a minor change to Han and Vader - the ones repacked with this wave have shiny silver trim around the picture, similar to how it appears on the CIV Zuckuss/4-LOM figs. Interesting way to try to get the pegwarmers to move.

No luck finding Anakin, Sidious, Greivous, or Magna Guard. Just gonna have to keep looking....

DarkJedi5
08-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Interestingly, I noticed a minor change to Han and Vader - the ones repacked with this wave have shiny silver trim around the picture, similar to how it appears on the CIV Zuckuss/4-LOM figs.

Those are the UGH variants. The "rarity" is indeed probably an attempt to get the figures to move but I can't imagine people being that excited about these.

tagmac
08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Ahh...so I guess I should be kicking myself for leaving two super-rare, awesome, worth tons on ebay UGH figures, where the ONLY change is silver trim, eh? :D

Geez....at least the last time we got silver bases and mini-figures to go along with the fancier packaging. This is just sad. Instead of just leaving pegwarmers we'll have "fancy" pegwarmers taking up space there. :rolleyes:

DarkArtist
08-27-2010, 02:29 PM
right now I'm only interested in Sidious and Anakin, and maybe I'll get an extra Sandtrooper but that's about it... on the fence with Grievous, the addition of a cape doesn't really shout spend $7.99 and haven't really looked at the Magna Guard in detail yet...

El Chuxter
08-27-2010, 03:00 PM
The prototype Magnaguard shown at Comic-Con was beautiful. That and Grievous are the only two I want. Sidious looks awful, IMHO, and Anakin, well, I could go without ever seeing another Anakin figure, regardless of any improvements (though I understand their desire to keep him in production). It's not like he was a cool character like Qui-Gon. :crazed:

El Chuxter
08-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I take that back: if they actually re-did kiddie Anakin with some joints and added detail, I'd be first to buy it.

borisfan84
08-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Cool Springs Toys R US in Tennessee put out 1 case of these today as well. There was a Han Solo, Darth Vader, and Commander Cody Galactic Hunt.

bkusna
08-27-2010, 06:59 PM
I've opened all of figures from wave 2 and noticed that most of the trooper figures have bad paint apps on their joints where the black paint is applied....HUGE gaps of missed paint!!!!!!:upset:....maybe this will be corrected with subsequent waves and revisions.....

bkusna
08-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I think the helmet on the new Vintage clone trooper looks HUGE when it's on....sure wish hasbro could have given it a commander cody size treatment........:yes:

Slicker
08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Fun fact. Buy black paint. Apply where paint is missing. No more paint gaps!

kthxbye

El Chuxter
08-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Aren't SW figures with bad paint more common than those with good paint?

plasticfetish
08-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Which is surprising, seeing as how some of the workers in those Chinese toy factories have probably been painting Star Wars figures for over thirty years now. Might be time to get a fresh new bunch of kids in there to paint Clonetroopers.

bkusna
08-28-2010, 11:05 AM
The prototype Magnaguard shown at Comic-Con was beautiful. That and Grievous are the only two I want. Sidious looks awful, IMHO, and Anakin, well, I could go without ever seeing another Anakin figure, regardless of any improvements (though I understand their desire to keep him in production). It's not like he was a cool character like Qui-Gon. :crazed:

I've opened up all of wave 2 figures now...grievous is RIDICULOUS!!!!! he has gummy bear legs and can't be posed unless you find a way to petrify him

MagnaGuard is perfect in every aspect.....

bkusna
08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Fun fact. Buy black paint. Apply where paint is missing. No more paint gaps!

kthxbye

I did't pay $9.99 a figure to go home and have to pretend to be an immigrant factory worker and refinish an assembly line in my kitchen.....Hasbro has to do a better job if they are gonna charge this much for a vintage figure :twisted:

bkusna
08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Aren't SW figures with bad paint more common than those with good paint?

I'm starting to agree with you......:yes:

El Chuxter
08-28-2010, 11:57 AM
At least they're not McFarlanes. Those cost $15, have absolutely awful paint (and the paint chips), and no poseability. And they break.

bkusna
08-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Those are the UGH variants. The "rarity" is indeed probably an attempt to get the figures to move but I can't imagine people being that excited about these.

there's 4 per case for a total of 12....here's the breakdown for wave 2 with 2 revisions:

This Wave 2 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars action figures (subject to change):
1x Darth Sidious
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x General Grievous with Cape
1x Magnaguard Droid [FOIL]
1x Sandtrooper
1x Clone Trooper (Episode III)
1x Commander Cody [FOIL]
1x Han Solo (Hoth Hangar) [FOIL]
1x Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
1x Darth Vader [FOIL]
1x Boba Fett

This Wave 2 Revision 1 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars action figures (subject to change):
1x Darth Sidious
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi [FOIL]
1x Magnaguard Droid
1x Sandtrooper
1x Clone Trooper [FOIL]
1x Commander Cody
1x Han Solo (Hoth Hangar)
1x Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) [FOIL]
1x Darth Vader
1x Boba Fett [FOIL]
(subject to change)

This Wave 2 Revision 2 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars action figures (subject to change):
1x Darth Sidious [FOIL]
1x Anakin Skywalker [FOIL]
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x General Grievous with Cape [FOIL]
1x Magnaguard Droid
1x Sandtrooper [FOIL]
1x Commander Cody
1x C-3PO (Removable Panels)
1x Darth Vader

plasticfetish
08-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I did't pay $9.99 a figure to go home and have to pretend to be an immigrant factory worker and...Ummm... I'm confused. Are factory workers in Chinese factories still considered "immigrants" if they're working in their own country? But even more confusing is why you payed $9.99 for a Star Wars figure. I've seen these going for around eight dollars. Did you tip the TRU guy or something?

bkusna
08-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Ummm... I'm confused. Are factory workers in Chinese factories still considered "immigrants" if they're working in their own country? But even more confusing is why you payed $9.99 for a Star Wars figure. I've seen these going for around eight dollars. Did you tip the TRU guy or something?

Hasbro is using Amish kids from Ohio shipped in UPS boxes to run their factories in china....Google it....it's true

plasticfetish
08-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd actually like to see some Amish made Star Wars figures. They'd be wooden with great real cloth clothing, and they'd have perfect paint jobs... but no weapons.

I'd pay $9.99 for one of those figures.

bkusna
08-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd actually like to see some Amish made Star Wars figures. They'd be wooden with great real cloth clothing, and they'd have perfect paint jobs... but no weapons.

I'd pay $9.99 for one of those figures.

Dude...that"s funnylollol

figrin bran
08-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Never mind these showing up at TRU, I found the wave at Target this morning.

bkusna
08-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Never mind these showing up at TRU, I found the wave at Target this morning.

NICE.....which foil cards did they have?

figrin bran
08-29-2010, 12:13 AM
NICE.....which foil cards did they have?

Hmm...well, according to your info, it was revision 2.

DarkArtist
08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Wave 2 hit Jersey.....found the remants and ugh variants at both tru n east brunswick and woodbridge as well as in target in edison. No sign of sidious or anakin though.

bkusna
08-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Not only does Grievous have gummy bear legs..NO FOOT PEGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't pose him whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad::sad ::mad::mad:

El Chuxter
08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, the reviews for this figure appear to be so poor, maybe I'll wait for the next Grievous.

bkusna
08-29-2010, 12:10 PM
If TRU is shipping wave 2 ALL over the country, why isn't it available online yet?????????:mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Hmmm, the reviews for this figure appear to be so poor, maybe I'll wait for the next Grievous.
What other review are you reading, aside from bkusna?

El Chuxter
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
You just made me check, and I'd forgotten that the "New Grievous Is a Fresh Gummy Bear" thread was about the CW Grievous.

bkusna
08-29-2010, 12:19 PM
You just made me check, and I'd forgotten that the "New Grievous Is a Fresh Gummy Bear" thread was about the CW Grievous.

I've been trying to pose the NEW VINTAGE Grievous the past three days and every morning he's toppled over and knocked down all the other figures around him....It's just sad that a vintage figure turns out to be a gooey mess:upset:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Because they saw you had only started several threads about the wave already and wanted to give you an opportunity to start more.

El Chuxter
08-29-2010, 01:40 PM
TRU.com's stuff often doesn't line up with the stores. And many times the pricing doesn't line up.

bkusna
08-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Because they saw you had only started several threads about the wave already and wanted to give you an opportunity to start more.

I had no idea that a simple thread would dictate how the toy industry would distribute an entire line......Thanks El Chuxter, for the more MATURE reply...:thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Entertainment Earth says Wave 2 is coming in September, so perhaps it's not supposed to be out yet.

bkusna
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Entertainment Earth says Wave 2 is coming in September, so perhaps it's not supposed to be out yet.
I guess we kinda expected this from TRU, but now TARGET has followed by releasing WAVE 2 before it's supposed to be released.....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I guess we kinda expected this from TRU, but now TARGET has followed by releasing WAVE 2 before it's supposed to be released.....
As I said in the "Target" thread, the street date was only for the first wave and the initial other stuff. Sometimes figures show up earlier than Hasbro expected, and sometimes they show up later. They're not "supposed" to be released at a certain time, that's just an estimate.

bkusna
08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
With 2 revision packs for wave 2 shipping and Wave 3 not scheduled until November, we should see pegs and pegs full of foil cards now until thanksgiving....

tagmac
08-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Found the rest of the wave this morning. Went into TRU, and there was an associate putting out stock. On top of the cart was a lone box of the figs, albeit one with the street date warning, so my first thout was that it was simply a case of Wave 1, and since I probably looked a bit obvious, didn't bother asking the guy to open them. I walked away for 5 minutes, came back, and he had put the figs out (Whether it's because he saw me and figured it out, or it was merely a coincidence, I don't know). Got Greivous, Sidious (who looks pretty good to me - not nearly as bad as what people think), Anakin (looks brand new, with a clearly different headsculpt), and OGH Magnaguard and Cody, whom I would not have bough otherwise. I thought the vintage-style card looked cool, but not enough for me to re-buy the figure if not for the UGH style.

Unfortunately, this was the only case they had, and I know if I find them at WM or Target in the next few weeks, back these will go to save money.

AmanaMatt
08-31-2010, 09:25 AM
This has turned into an angry thread

jedikiss
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
still waiting for this wave to hit local stores either tru or target. been found at tru way across town- 1 case, last week but closest tru sucks at unloading trucks and sucks at getting in same waves as other tru in district and target is pegged full of wv1

Blue2th
08-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Saw some of this wave yesterday at TRU. No Cody, Grievous or Magnaguard though.

The Anakin looked really good. I'll be picking him up for sure. Maybe people aren't buying him, not knowing he's quite an improvement over previous ones. The Sith eyes, disheveled hair looked cool, not to mention he's finally SA without those swivel elbows.

Maybe I won't be buying a Gummy Grievous though after reading the comments. :ermm:

bkusna
08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
I haven't seen one wave 2 figure this week except for the 3 cases at one TRU last friday...COME ON TARGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Chuxter
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Patience. You must learn patience. New figures normally do show up slowly at first.

cha gio (http://simplyvietnamese.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/vietnamese-egg-rolls-cha-gio/)

tagmac
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
The Anakin looked really good. I'll be picking him up for sure. Maybe people aren't buying him, not knowing he's quite an improvement over previous ones. The Sith eyes, disheveled hair looked cool, not to mention he's finally SA without those swivel elbows.

Exactly. Originally, I thought Anakin was the same fig as the Evolutions, and I was only going to get him for the cool-looking card. But looking at the figure, I have to give an A+ on the head sculpt - it really looks like they put some thought into it for a change.

bkusna
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
My TRU put out two cases tonight and every figure in the case was smashed...I watched them put em out and the box was completely obliterated!!!!! I picked up an extra magnaguard and anakin to open......

plasticfetish
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
...and angry threads lead to the dark side.

bkusna
08-31-2010, 10:16 PM
It's only angry if you're Amish....and if you're Amish, you are probably not collecting star wars figures...you might be trying to figure out how to build a wireless network out of straw....

TheDarthVader
09-02-2010, 12:38 AM
found three cases at my walmart. bought the anakin, fett, sidious and grievous foils. also purchased 2 magnaguards (nonfoil).

bigbarada
09-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Wave 2 showed up at my Walmart this morning as well. I was originally going to purchase several figures, but the extra time it took for me to remove the figures from the pegs, one by one, to get to the ones I wanted in the back, and then place them all back on the pegs again, gave me enough time to think about the cost of all these figures together and the fact that there are several REAL vintage figures that I am more interested in on Ebay right now. So I put everything but one Sandtrooper back. Sorry Hasbro, you should have gone with J-hooks since they are obviously more conducive to impulse buying... at least in my case.

It ended up being a foil-carded Sandtrooper, but only because that particular figure had the best paint job. I would have preferred to have him on the non-foil card.

Several minor gripes about the figure:
1. the orange color-field doesn't line up properly with the figure's bubble, it's a full 3/4 of an inch too short.
2. the reference photo is from the Special Edition, and the trooper in the photo is covering up his face with a accessory that doesn't actually come with the figure. Lame.
3. I would have much preferred an orange-pauldroned Sandtrooper since those are the most iconic of this particular group of Imperials.

Anyways, all flaws aside, it's still cool to finally have a Sandtrooper on a vintage style card. Maybe we'll see some adjustments to the card design later on. Hasbro has to realize that one of the best ways to get people to buy multiples would be to repackage the same figures with alternate reference photos on the card.

bkusna
09-02-2010, 10:43 AM
I returned 20 wave 2 figures to TRU today since 6 walmarts had about 100 wave 2 figures this am.....They were not happy to refund the 20 figures, but I told the manager that walmart had them for $2 less so I saved $40 bucks.....

bkusna
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
found three cases at my walmart. bought the anakin, fett, sidious and grievous foils. also purchased 2 magnaguards (nonfoil).

Anakin is a superior figure, his head sculpt is PERFECT!!!!....I had to replace all of my previous anakins in my dioramas to this new one....I bought four of them:thumbsup:

Blue2th
09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Anakin is a superior figure, his head sculpt is PERFECT!!!!....I had to replace all of my previous anakins in my dioramas to this new one....I bought four of them:thumbsup:

The only thing is he doesn't have Sith eyes in every scene. Wonder if heads from other figures will fit on this figure? Got plenty of those. :rolleyes:

Have to try that when I get one.

bigbarada
09-03-2010, 01:03 AM

I thought it was interesting how his hair was sculpted as a separate piece and then glued on his head. His arms are way too long though, they almost reach his knees.

bkusna
09-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I thought it was interesting how his hair was sculpted as a separate piece and then glued on his head. His arms are way too long though, they almost reach his knees.
It's very "toupee-like", but if you re-watch that mustafar battle scene it does look like that.....except for the gorilla arms:D

bigbarada
09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Soooooo, I went back to the store and picked up Cody, Grievous, 2 Sidious' and 2 Anakins. Magnaguards were completely sold out.:( I guess I am a sucker for these vintage cards after all.

I'm going to keep dead-fish Grievous on the card for sure. At least on the card he is a nice display piece. If I open him up, he'll turn into a limp, useless piece of crap just like the Legacy figure.

I also decided that, if I am going to build up a collection of ROTS figures on vintage cards, then they are either all going to be non-foil cards or foil-cards. No mixing and matching. And since they only had foil-carded versions of Sidious, I guess I will only be buying foil versions of the PT figures to keep on the card. It doesn't really bother me that much, since the foil cards actually seem to be more common (I'm finding 3 or 4 foil card versions for every one regular card) and it helps set the prequel figures apart from the OT figures. At least that's the plan, we'll see how it works out in the real world.

Anyways, I've opened up the extra Anakin and Sidious and I must say I'm pretty impressed with both of them. I never realized it, but I think this is actually the first Ep3 Anakin that I've ever owned. I did buy the old Evolutions set, but I quickly gave the two Anakins from that pack to my nephews, just so they'd stop asking for the Darth Vader figure. :)

Sidious looks awesome and he's easily the best Emperor/Sidious figure that we have ever gotten in the modern line. Which is not saying much, of course, but he is a great figure nonetheless.

AmanaMatt
09-04-2010, 10:19 AM
After thinking I would pass on half this wave, I got them all sans the standard Clone - that helmet just ruins the figure.

I dont mind mixing UGH with standard - since I like the shiny look and they have been easy to find, picked up the UGH versions, of which all of wave 2 has.

Grievous is a repack with updated writsts....still has a hard time standing without falling from time-to-time. Cape does rock it out

Managuard - more awesome that I could have imagined. Best fig of the wave - super, super articulated and holds a pose incredibly well. Worst company stamping position on a figure. Side of thigh? Really, hasbro......not the back of the thigh

Sidious - other than the soft goods robe being choco brown, pretty good figure

Anakin - great new body sculpt - head is a bit off, though a worthy purchase

Cody - this is the second realistic one re-released. never got it first time, glad I did this time. One of the best Clones to date. helmet doesnt ruin the look.

bkusna
09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
After thinking I would pass on half this wave, I got them all sans the standard Clone - that helmet just ruins the figure.

I dont mind mixing UGH with standard - since I like the shiny look and they have been easy to find, picked up the UGH versions, of which all of wave 2 has.

Grievous is a repack with updated writsts....still has a hard time standing without falling from time-to-time. Cape does rock it out

Managuard - more awesome that I could have imagined. Best fig of the wave - super, super articulated and holds a pose incredibly well. Worst company stamping position on a figure. Side of thigh? Really, hasbro......not the back of the thigh

Sidious - other than the soft goods robe being choco brown, pretty good figure

Anakin - great new body sculpt - head is a bit off, though a worthy purchase

Cody - this is the second realistic one re-released. never got it first time, glad I did this time. One of the best Clones to date. helmet doesnt ruin the look.
Totally agree with you about the clonetrooper helmet...how could they destroy such a cool figure by giving him this outrageously large goofy helmet?????

Darth Metalmute
09-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Saw wave 2 for the first time today. Picked up Grevious, Managuard, Emperor, and Sandtrooper. Then I ended up putting them back.

Grevious looked too much like a repack with a nice coat. I'm didn't feel like spending 8 bucks on that coat.

Sandtrooper looked good, I liked the weapon pack ins, but all they had was UGH versions. I would have bought a non-UGH one, but I want to open one him and probably never open a UGH figure.

I will end up getting the Emperor, he looks great. The face is basically for one scene, but it is well done.

I really wanted to buy the Managuard. They had a bunch and I wanted two. The head looked disappointingly small. When you compare it too the picture on the card, it looks about 75% the size it should be. Other than that, the figure looks great.

DarkJedi5
09-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Was about 2 minutes too late today to pick up wave 2. Some guy bought everything except Obi-Wan and a UGH Han. Like, I saw him wheeling his cart away with all the figures. Someday I'll see these again. Maybe.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Was about 2 minutes too late today to pick up wave 2. Some guy bought everything except Obi-Wan and a UGH Han. Like, I saw him wheeling his cart away with all the figures. Someday I'll see these again. Maybe.I've learned to be patient. Don't succumb to scalpers' prices. Turn that "maybe" upside down. I hear "ebyam" is the new "definitely." :D

They were not happy to refund the 20 figures, but I told the manager that walmart had them for $2 less so I saved $40 bucks..... I'm surprised they didn't offer to price match you and only lose $40 instead of $140.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2010, 01:42 PM
There are entirely too many threads about this wave, so I didn't know which one to post in, but I got this wave last night at a Walmart.

*MagnaGuard - I wasn't too super thrilled about the idea of this one, especially since we just got the Clone Wars version, even though a SA ROTS one was overdue. But it turned out awesome. Ball joints in the head, shoulders, elbows, torso, and legs, and normal articulation in the wrists, knees, and ankles. The staff is somewhat odd as the "glass" parts on either end are connected to the electro effects, so they can't be displayed on the staff without the purple bolts. Every photo I had seen had the nose/mouth/long cylindrical thing on his face being covered up by the head wrap, which looked stupid and inaccurate. Thankfully, it looks like it was actually sculpted to be displayed properly, so the nose/mouth thing can be over the head wrap with a small amount of futzing. The right knee is loose on mine, but it's overall quite fantastic.

*Darth Sidious - Again, I was worried due to pictures that it wouldn't turn out too well, but I'm very pleased with the final result. The film robe has a split down the front that isn't on the figure, so it's annoying but not a dealbreaker. The colors of the soft goods and the sculpted under-robe don't match up 100%, but it's much closer than online images would lead you to believe. As with the MagnaGuard, you might need to mess around with the robe a tiny bit to get everything looking good. The hood comes off a little too easily, but once it's on it looks good. The lightning is strange, as I can't tell exactly how it's supposed to connect to his hand; there's not an obvious connection point like on previous ones, as it's sculpted to look more like lightning as opposed to lightning with a big blue half-circle on one end. :p So, maybe not perfect, but better than pictures show, and still pretty great.

*Clone Trooper - As I said earlier, I'm not entirely sure why they went with yet another plain white clone when there are only two in the film and we already have a few unique sculpts or decos of the plain flavor. That said, this one is based on the Gelagrub mold with a different (upside-down) belt, so it has the added leg articulation and removable helmet. The helmet is too big and they're still using the clone head with the weird, lopsided jaw that I really wish they'd retire at this point. There are several points at which the black body suit is painted poorly or just not painted at all. If you're not a completist or a clone nut, I would avoid this one.

*Anakin Skywalker - From what I can tell, the head and arms are new while everything else is recycled from the 2008 TAC figure, which was in turn based on the 2005 Evolutions mold. Upon opening it, I wasn't completely sold on it, but it's growing on me. The head is a little wide, making Anakin look bulkier than he did in the film. The hair is a separate piece, occasionally looking like dreadlocks because of this, but overall it looks good. The Sith eyes are well-done and a welcome addition, the first of their kind in my collection. His scar is sculpted and looks great, though they missed the smaller ones on his left lower cheek (as they usually do). The arms, as we've seen, are a little too long. If your armspan is supposed to be equal to your height, then the figure overshoots that by at least a centimeter. Still, that allows for some nice lightsaber poses, and it's not really noticeable if he has the cloak on. The elbows are finally ball-jointed, which helps, and the wrists are articulated as well (and his left sleeve has a somewhat darker paint color on the edge, very nice). Unfortunately, the soft goods skirt on mine wasn't assembled very tightly, and I was able to pull it off with ease. I put it back on and messed with it to make it look better, but it's too long (it goes beneath the sculpted part, which is wrong) and looks like it's already fraying in a few parts, which doesn't seem to be the intention. The cloak, on the other hands, is a great example of soft goods done well.

*Sandtrooper - Same figure from the Dewback set, now with the extra standard sandtrooper rifle. The backpack is packed upside-down in the package, so carded collectors may be annoyed to a point. I'm glad to have another of this guy to display, since the other one is on Dewback duty. :p Even though he's clean, it's the best sandtrooper mold; I only buy one of each release, since there are so damn many different variations on this trooper, but if you're an army builder then this is probably the way to go.

*General Grievous - The only one I found was an UGH with a crease in the upper left hand corner. I want to get one of this figure to keep carded, preferably an UGH version, but the store only had this one so I'm keeping it for now and waiting to see if I can get a nicer carded sample as well as one to open.

*Commander Cody - I didn't get this one, but they did indeed fix the belt and antenna. I might get one to keep carded as I love the art here.

*Obi-Wan Kenobi - Another one I didn't get. I might get one to keep carded, but the figure's pilot headset is kind of goofy given the Mustafar photo.

Overall, it's a lot of "almost-there" figures. The first wave had a few "perfect" figures in my eyes, but maybe I'm being harsher here since ROTS is my favorite movie and these are some of my most-wanted figures finally being made but perhaps falling slightly short to me.

El Chuxter
09-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Still haven't gotten any of this wave, though I've seen the full wave once and the partial wave a few times. Aside from my growing boredom with prequel figures, I really think this suffers from overkill. Improvements or not, we've seen every figure except Sidious before, and aside from the Magnaguard, quite recently. We're not only getting the 17th Clonetrooper, 32nd ROTS Anakin, and 26th ROTS Obi-Wan, but the 3rd or 4th Cody.

Vintage cards or not, they put an awful lot of faith in the desire of everyone to buy these characters again already.

cha gio (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1716,147170-254198,00.html)

JediTricks
09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
There are entirely too many threads about this wave, so I didn't know which one to post in, but I got this wave last night at a Walmart.I merged 5 wave 2 threads into the first one.

*MagnaGuard - I wasn't too super thrilled about the idea of this one, especially since we just got the Clone Wars version, even though a SA ROTS one was overdue. But it turned out awesome. Ball joints in the head, shoulders, elbows, torso, and legs, and normal articulation in the wrists, knees, and ankles. The staff is somewhat odd as the "glass" parts on either end are connected to the electro effects, so they can't be displayed on the staff without the purple bolts. Every photo I had seen had the nose/mouth/long cylindrical thing on his face being covered up by the head wrap, which looked stupid and inaccurate. Thankfully, it looks like it was actually sculpted to be displayed properly, so the nose/mouth thing can be over the head wrap with a small amount of futzing. The right knee is loose on mine, but it's overall quite fantastic.I picked up this figure for $10 at TRU, the only figure of the wave I'd pay the extra to get. It is a pretty good figure, I agree. The glass parts are removable if you don't want electro effects, it's a trade-off but it works. On mine, the head wrap was mostly right (before I removed it to see if they painted the whole head - they did), but I absolutely cannot figure out how to make the cloak look right, or even nice, it's sewn weird. Do you have issues with the front armor plate rotating and the rear one falling off, like mine? All in all, I wasn't blown away by this figure, it's good but the design of the character makes it a little hard to get an outstanding figure value.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Still haven't gotten any of this wave, though I've seen the full wave once and the partial wave a few times. Aside from my growing boredom with prequel figures, I really think this suffers from overkill. Improvements or not, we've seen every figure except Sidious before, and aside from the Magnaguard, quite recently. We're not only getting the 17th Clonetrooper, 32nd ROTS Anakin, and 26th ROTS Obi-Wan, but the 3rd or 4th Cody.

Vintage cards or not, they put an awful lot of faith in the desire of everyone to buy these characters again already.

cha gio (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1716,147170-254198,00.html)
But these characters always sell well. Even though they're also in Saga Legends, I believe that kids and parents will eventually buy what collectors don't. I can't say the same for the wave 1 stragglers; there can't be too many kids thrilled about a Cloud Car Pilot or 4-LOM.

I merged 5 wave 2 threads into the first one.
Thank you, kind sir. It was getting ridiculous. Perhaps a more generic name change for the thread could be in the works?

I picked up this figure for $10 at TRU, the only figure of the wave I'd pay the extra to get. It is a pretty good figure, I agree. The glass parts are removable if you don't want electro effects, it's a trade-off but it works. On mine, the head wrap was mostly right (before I removed it to see if they painted the whole head - they did), but I absolutely cannot figure out how to make the cloak look right, or even nice, it's sewn weird. Do you have issues with the front armor plate rotating and the rear one falling off, like mine? All in all, I wasn't blown away by this figure, it's good but the design of the character makes it a little hard to get an outstanding figure value.
The main issue for the cloak on mine is the long part that hangs down behind his back, which is sort of rolled up in the package so it looks too small. I'm trying to hook it on his legs to spread it out, which seemed to work on the Clone Wars one. I think it was sewn weird to get the bulk on his shoulder, which looks fairly good with some maneuvering.

The front chest plate was rotated when it was still carded, and yeah, whenever I move it, it rotates. I didn't know the back one was removable, as mine hasn't fallen off yet, so no issues there so far.

JediTricks
09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
I will rename the thread.

The back plate is on 2 rather underwhelming pegs. On mine, 1 of the pegs is fairly secure but the other is only so-so, and when trying to futz with the cloak, I generally end up losing it while simultaneously rotating the front plate.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I will rename the thread.

The back plate is on 2 rather underwhelming pegs. On mine, 1 of the pegs is fairly secure but the other is only so-so, and when trying to futz with the cloak, I generally end up losing it while simultaneously rotating the front plate.
Thanks.

I looked at the back plate after posting in here. I was able to take it off, but it does seem relatively secure. Hopefully I won't have issues with it in the long run.

As for his cloak, I ended up draping it more definitively over his right shoulder, as it seems sewn to go to his elbow. It looks pretty good - certainly better than the 2005 turds. :p

Oh, and another thing on the clone - the forgot the little blue stripes on the sides of his helmet, which is a little annoying.

dindae
09-07-2010, 12:26 AM
I was surprised that I picked up as much as I did on this wave. I knew I wanted Grevious's Guard, Palpatine, and Grevious. But I was surprised by the Anakin and Cody. Honestly I didn't really look at either of them until I had them in my hand. The cards really didn't matter to me. I like the look and would like it to be permanent. I don't see the style as something sacred that should only be used on OT figures. It does hold nostalgia for me but that isn't enough for me to buy a figure I don't want.

JediTricks
09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I forgot to mention, the Magnaguard I opened was a silver variant card. Eat it, silver variant cards. :p

Speaking of which, I picked up 2 more figures today at TRU after a long run of failures at Targets and WMs. I got the Sandtrooper for my AT-AT setup, and a silver-card Anakin - comparing him to the 2 non-silver variants, the one I got has superior paint.

The Sandtrooper is my first experiencing of this figure, I passed on last year's dewback thanks to it being the prequel design rather than the ANH one. This Sandy is half a head taller than his VOTC-based brethren (stormies too), and is an oddity in that he's a new figure but a bunch of things are wrong on him, designed from the Stormtrooper costume, not the Sandtrooper costume. The left knee, the boxes on the belt, the details in the stomach, and the vents on the helmet top. The helmet on this figure also has the smallest lenses I've seen yet, I think only the "look sir, droids" guys have lenses that small. The pauldron is interesting, it denotes him as a sergeant, and it's well-sculpted and lacking the ammo boxes on the left side which is nice. The figure looks awful without his pauldron though, as a regular stormie the neck is all wrong and further shows how tall this turkey is. The neck is also poorly designed on its own, the collar is poorly sculpted and only half there, the angle causes the helmet to sit back, and like the VOTC it's got a huge ball joint that shows.

The body itself is interesting, the shoulders are pretty narrow which is in contrast to the wide hips that cause additional spacing for the thighs (I like the close thighs of the TAC figure, very film-accurate, but hard to find awesome action poses, and he can't ride a dewback), so neutral posing looks a little odd, but action posing is good and expressive. The bodysuit showing at the hips is lengthened a bit, it's not too bad thanks to the hip boxes being moved slightly forward, though the armor does run into those boxes there. Paint is good with mine, even the wander on the cheek vents matches on mine (they're both well too low, but at least they match), the white on the belt doesn't match well with the plastic armor, but it's pretty consistent for white paint over black parts, and the stomach details are intentionally left unpainted to match the movie version.

The figure comes with the RT-97C machine gun which is a little bent and rubbery, the classic Sandtrooper T-21 rifle, and the environment backpack. The backpack is the same one we've been seeing for a while, hollow and soft detailing, tabs into a slot on the back and has bracing points around the lower back. Annoyingly, they put a date stamp into the top face of the pack. The hands are still very tough to get weapons into, and the poses don't really work with these 2 longer rifles that well - especially the RT-97C which didn't use the slight rake of the grip on the original, so this accessory's grip is straight down. Oh, and indeed, the card has a graphic design snafu, the orange bubble with silver border that's supposed to be around the figure is well short of the blister and tray, it's more like an R2-D2 height.

All in all, this figure is a very clean sandtrooper, it's decent for that use, but as a stormtrooper it's not so good.

I'll review UGH-carded Anakin later, once I've opened him.

Thanks.

I looked at the back plate after posting in here. I was able to take it off, but it does seem relatively secure. Hopefully I won't have issues with it in the long run.

As for his cloak, I ended up draping it more definitively over his right shoulder, as it seems sewn to go to his elbow. It looks pretty good - certainly better than the 2005 turds. :p

Oh, and another thing on the clone - the forgot the little blue stripes on the sides of his helmet, which is a little annoying.Upon reflection, I checked out the head again on mine, and you are right that the "mouth" was under the wrapping, so I adjusted it and it was a big improvement. I still can't get the wrap to really fit the right arm, which is how I've been trying to do it, but I did like your idea of wrapping the back part around the legs, that helped the look too.

Not sure what you're bashing about the '05 version though, I don't dislike that figure.

Wow, good point on the Clone, i saw another today and I couldn't put my finger on what was off, but that was it!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Upon reflection, I checked out the head again on mine, and you are right that the "mouth" was under the wrapping, so I adjusted it and it was a big improvement. I still can't get the wrap to really fit the right arm, which is how I've been trying to do it, but I did like your idea of wrapping the back part around the legs, that helped the look too.

Not sure what you're bashing about the '05 version though, I don't dislike that figure.
I might try to take pictures when I go home this weekend. We'll be on vacation for much of the time, but I'll see what I can do. Bantha Skull (http://banthaskull.com/images/VC_Photo_Archive/vc18_019.jpg) almost has it right, but I prefer it to be more bunched-up still (and they didn't do the mouth piece correctly, either).

The 2005 one is fine, I guess, but I always wanted one that could hold the staff with two hands and be in more action-oriented poses (the static battle arena version notwithstanding). I think the most disappointing aspect of the 2005 one (aside from the crap legs, which warp and make mine lean forward) is the hard cape, which prohibits basically any pose except "standing there and looking menacing."

bigbarada
09-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I actually really like this wave much more than I anticipated. I missed out on the Magnaguards though, someone went and bought all of those guys up within a couple of days. All that is left right now is a Cody, an Obi-Wan and that standard Clone.

The clone looks terrible. I would have bought one to keep carded if it was just the standard SA Clonetrooper that we still see in the Saga Legends line; but the helmet on this figure is awful. That line that's supposed to go across his forehead, just above his eyes, is not painted all the way across the front of his head. It stops at the edge of the eye lenses on both sides, leaving a giant gap on the front of his face. Horrible.

bkusna
09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I actually really like this wave much more than I anticipated. I missed out on the Magnaguards though, someone went and bought all of those guys up within a couple of days. All that is left right now is a Cody, an Obi-Wan and that standard Clone.

The clone looks terrible. I would have bought one to keep carded if it was just the standard SA Clonetrooper that we still see in the Saga Legends line; but the helmet on this figure is awful. That line that's supposed to go across his forehead, just above his eyes, is not painted all the way across the front of his head. It stops at the edge of the eye lenses on both sides, leaving a giant gap on the front of his face. Horrible.

It's amazing how Hasbro didn't scale down his head like cody's, so the helmet size could have been perfect...like cody's:sad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
It's amazing how Hasbro didn't scale down his head like cody's, so the helmet size could have been perfect...like cody's:sad:
But I'm not a huge fan of how tiny Cody's head looks, either. It's always a trade-off.

bkusna
09-08-2010, 01:08 PM
But I'm not a huge fan of how tiny Cody's head looks, either. It's always a trade-off.
Excellent point...Since I always display cody with his helmet on, it doesn't bother me too much...But I NEVER display clonetroopers with their helmets off so this is a highly annoying issue for me....:sad:

jamesbondo07
09-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Found this wave at Wal-Mart yesterday. I haven't had a chance to open them yet but this wave is better then what I expected. I picked up the silver variants. I'm not going to try to hunt all of the silver variants down but I will pick them up if I see them.

Blue2th
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Picked up the Magnagaurd and Cody today. The Magna Guard looks cool. I hesitated on Cody, but seeing as he is a corrected Cody I got him.

I almost bought the Grievous, but isn't he the same as the previous Grievous from the Walmart BAD's with the cloth cape or are there some improvements? ( I may have not been paying attention to this so please excuse my asking)

Also picked up a Dak from the first TVC wave. All the cards were dilapidated but I'm opening them.

I'd like to eventually get them all on mint cards again like I used to because these are so nice, but I don't know if I can afford that anymore. Besides I think I would like to have them without the Boba Fett offer on the face obscuring the pic anyways if I do.

Next I'll probably get the Anakin...uh he's supposed to be Vader by then if he's got those Sith eyes, but I guess we can let that one slide. :Ponder:

Everything else from this wave I can pass on pretty much I think.

bigbarada
09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Picked up the Magnagaurd and Cody today. The Magna Guard looks cool. I hesitated on Cody, but seeing as he is a corrected Cody I got him.

I almost bought the Grievous, but isn't he the same as the previous Grievous from the Walmart BAD's with the cloth cape or are there some improvements? ( I may have not been paying attention to this so please excuse my asking)

Also picked up a Dak from the first TVC wave. All the cards were dilapidated but I'm opening them.

I'd like to eventually get them all on mint cards again like I used to because these are so nice, but I don't know if I can afford that anymore. Besides I think I would like to have them without the Boba Fett offer on the face obscuring the pic anyways if I do.

Next I'll probably get the Anakin...uh he's supposed to be Vader by then if he's got those Sith eyes, but I guess we can let that one slide. :Ponder:

Everything else from this wave I can pass on pretty much I think.

Those Boba Fett offer stickers are applied with a low-tac adhesive, so they come off pretty easily without damaging the cards at all. If you are not sure, then you can test it out on one of your opener cards. It takes a bit of patience because the starburst shape makes it difficult to remove the entire sticker in one piece, but I've had no problems with getting them off.

Also, Anakin will be released later on with the name Darth Vader on the card.

DarkJedi5
09-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Nope, this is a different Grievous. This is a repack of the 2008 Legacy Grievous (which has the 2-in-1 arms and is correctly scaled) plus the cape. The WM Grievous did indeed include a cloth cape but was just a repack of the 2005 ROTS Grievous.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Next I'll probably get the Anakin...uh he's supposed to be Vader by then if he's got those Sith eyes, but I guess we can let that one slide. :Ponder: Well, his wife said there is still good in him, and his son later thought so. I heard there's a rare variant of Anakin that, like the new Vintage Threepio, has a leg and head opening that reveals such good inside the figure.

I'm going to see if I can find any of these today, and maybe if I am greedy or selfish, find some on foil cards. :rolleyes:

[update] Found... nothing new this morning, except for a cat sniffing car bumpers in the parking lot (perhaps they were mouse scented?) and a cawing crow at another,

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Grievous is based on the 2008 sculpt, which was the super-articulated one in the proper scale for the first time and with split-apart arms. This one has a better head sculpt, added wrist articulation, and an all-new cape. So it's 100% different and significantly better than the Walmart one.

Anakin's card is supposedly getting a running change to "Darth Vader," but who knows when that will happen.

I think I will indeed get a UGH Cody. I saw a pristine one at a Walmart when I was on vacation this past week and I should have just gotten it, but I was on the fence at the time. Hopefully I'll find another.

Blue2th
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Grievous is based on the 2008 sculpt, which was the super-articulated one in the proper scale for the first time and with split-apart arms. This one has a better head sculpt, added wrist articulation, and an all-new cape. So it's 100% different and significantly better than the Walmart one.

Yeah I didn't pay attention to the Walmart BAD Grievous as I was focused on the droid. I know he did come with the cloth cape though.
I did buy the larger 08' Grievous. I was disappointed he didn't have the cape though. It's always something.:ermm: so at least the cape with the pockets and extra lightsabers warrants buying the TVC one.

Snowtrooper
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
I finally snagged this wave today at WM. I managed to get everything except Sidious, but he shouldn't be too hard to pick up later. I like the "prequel vintage" cardbacks, except Greivous's seems a little crowded by the bubble area.

bkusna
09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I finally snagged this wave today at WM. I managed to get everything except Sidious, but he shouldn't be too hard to pick up later. I like the "prequel vintage" cardbacks, except Greivous's seems a little crowded by the bubble area.
Like 10 lbs of cottage cheese in a 5 lbs container.....:razz:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I found Grievous last night and opened him up. In short: he's awesome. You can tell the cape was purposefully sewn to drape as it does in the films, over one shoulder and down below his collar, though it does require some futzing; as with the Magnaguard, whoever was posing them for the photos was doing it wrong. The legs really aren't that gummy, or at least as gummy as the 2008 one. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this one - he's probably my favorite of the wave.

El Chuxter
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the review, Senor. When I see this figure again, I shall definitely keep your high praise in mind. I think I'll even pick up a Magnaguard to keep him company, since it blows the 2005 sculpt out of the water.

com chien duong chau (http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2008/02/fried-rice-yang-chow-style.html)

JEDIpartner
09-16-2010, 01:47 PM
I like the bulk of the figures in this wave. The Magnaguard is really a beautiful figure. They did a nice job correcting Grievous from the previous release (more articulation, a less-dirty paint app and that gorgeous cape!). I even like the Darth Sidious that everyone seems to hate. I think the face is dead-on to the way he looked during the senate duel; all cackling and giddy with Sithy glee. I think it's a good figure and about darn time we got him!!!! I saw no need for Cody. I'm done with him after this many releases.

JediTricks
09-18-2010, 01:36 AM
I got Grievous the other day. The dialing back on the weathered paint helps a lot, but the new wrist articulation is utterly pointless - the forearms on the previous figure were ALREADY ARTICULATED! Now the forearms are articulated near the back and the front, and I just don't see how that's in any way an improvement, especially with these forearms getting bulkier to do it. That was just a waste of budget right there, I don't know why anybody would get excited over this change.

The head doesn't seem to be new from what I can tell except at the mouth, which does help. I can't find my TLC one right now to compare, but that's all I can see different. It's good, but it still seems sad rather than evil due to the shape of the top of the mask's eye-holes.

The legs are rubberier than the '08 one, annoyingly, and STILL have the same stupid problem with the wrong angle on the right foot which is just super unacceptable in my book, especially considering this guy doesn't have footpegs.

The cape is ok, it's a little short and a tad thick, but it mostly holds up alright, and the pockets work even though he only comes with 2 hilts and needs like 3 times more. It's not blowing me away, but it's better than not having it, that's for sure.

Overall, it's still rubbery, it's still got the stupid incorrect angle on the right foot, it's still awkward to hold lightsabers, it's still got the wrong shoulderpad design, and adding the articulated wrists in the middle of the forearm not only was pointless but was also a lazy place to put articulation. But the paint is better, the cloak is decent, the mouth has been improved, so it's "the best" Grievous yet, it's just that sadly, that means less than it should.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I got Grievous the other day. The dialing back on the weathered paint helps a lot, but the new wrist articulation is utterly pointless - the forearms on the previous figure were ALREADY ARTICULATED! Now the forearms are articulated near the back and the front, and I just don't see how that's in any way an improvement, especially with these forearms getting bulkier to do it. That was just a waste of budget right there, I don't know why anybody would get excited over this change.
If nothing else, it now allows you to recreate the battle damage from Utapau for the first time (Demise of Grievous notwithstanding). The Legacy Grievous is at my parents' house so I can't check what the added articulation does, but it (obviously) adds in the ways you can have him posed without making his forearms look bizarrely rotated, which is a plus to me.

And I don't get what you're saying about his right foot. On mine, both his feet are angled slightly outward, but it looks to be intentional.

JediTricks
09-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Eh, not buying it with that articulation.

The left foot isn't angled outward, it's angled inward for a spread-legged pose. Only the right foot ends up awkwardly out, and it's on all of 'em.

JEDIpartner
09-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Actually, for me, I've noticed that the arms stay together better on new one with the added wrist articulation.

JediTricks
09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I can't say the same, the right lower hand on mine is bent at a funny angle so it doesn't close that well.

bkusna
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
"I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. The Republic turned against me. Don't you turn against me!".....too late

Blue2th
09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
If nothing else, it now allows you to recreate the battle damage from Utapau for the first time (Demise of Grievous notwithstanding).

You mean his spider scurry away from Obi-Wan pose? He did it again in the CW Arc Troopers episode. Going to have to try that if that's what you're talking about. got a Grievous today.

I had thought about dissecting a Demise of Grievous, and attaching the flames to a newer one somehow. Of course then there's the orange paint on his body for the reflective effect though. It's doubtful they'd reissue him.

"I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. The Republic turned against me. Don't you turn against me!".....too late

That's a lot of TVC Grievous Body Guards! I'm going to be buying a few more of those myself. :thumbsup:
At Walmart today I got a TVC Grievous and an Anakin.
The Clone Wars and Legends figures are on sale for a dollar off so I picked up an Aurra Sing and a Legends Battledroids pack with the new superior BD's.

I have enough TVC's now to send off for the Boba Fett.

I've been seeing a lot of UGH cards. People don't seem to be that interested in them if I'm seeing lots everywhere I go.

El Chuxter
09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Too bad Grievous killed Sidious's body double. At least the real one is protecting those Tuskens and Jawas from Yoda.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
You mean his spider scurry away from Obi-Wan pose? He did it again in the CW Arc Troopers episode. Going to have to try that if that's what you're talking about. got a Grievous today.
I was mainly referring to his hands being able to get cut off, but with a little work, he can be more or less put into the spider pose. It's not spectacular, but it's close enough.

I have enough TVC's now to send off for the Boba Fett.
I'm reaching broken record territory here, but you don't necessarily need TVC figures for the mail-away. You can cut UPCs from any basic figure released since July 26, 2008 - that includes Saga Legends on the blue, red, and dark blue cards, every single build-a-droid figure, and every single Clone Wars figure on any basic card you could possibly imagine.

bkusna
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Too bad Grievous killed Sidious's body double. At least the real one is protecting those Tuskens and Jawas from Yoda.
That's called a schitzophrenic diorama....some many disjointed ideas wrapped into one photo....I was just excited that I found another prego padmelol

DarkJedi5
09-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Still haven't seen this wave around at retail and I'm starting to wonder if HTS will ever put them up (I usually have to end up ordering from them for a lot of the harder to find figures and since this whole wave is HTF it's a little disconcerting).

Blue2th
09-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm reaching broken record territory here, but you don't necessarily need TVC figures for the mail-away. You can cut UPCs from any basic figure released since July 26, 2008 - that includes Saga Legends on the blue, red, and dark blue cards, every single build-a-droid figure, and every single Clone Wars figure on any basic card you could possibly imagine.

Yeah, well that's cool, plenty of figures to cut UPC's from. On second thought, after looking closely at him, not too thrilled with the Boba, so maybe I'll wait till I can get a Sergeant Bric.

Thanks JJL.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I finally saw some in stores (Obi-Wan), but had no desire to buy (although I did take it off the pegs to look with my hands).

El Chuxter
09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I really don't think this wave will be hard to find for long. With the possible exception of the Clonetroopers and Magnaguards, I have a feeling there will be a lot of complaints about these clogging pegs before Thanksgiving rolls around. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2010, 08:16 PM
That's why I'm not panicking, yet. I also think I will be able to find them at retail, if I take Qui-Gon's advice and have patience.

DarkJedi5
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I really don't think this wave will be hard to find for long. With the possible exception of the Clonetroopers and Magnaguards, I have a feeling there will be a lot of complaints about these clogging pegs before Thanksgiving rolls around. :)

Unfortunately, the Magna Guards are the only figure from this wave that I was really excited for.

El Chuxter
09-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I doubt even those will be truly HTF. They'll just not rot on pegs like the rest.

bkusna
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
My TRU had a full storefront with new star wars displays today....New clone wars but no other new figures....TRU is now on holiday delivery schedule making M-W-F the days to check out, so maybe tomorrow it will be full of ROTS and ROTJ waves (fingers crossed)

bigbarada
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I think someone in my area is army building Magnaguards. They restocked the shelves with wave 2 figures and I passed on picking up a Magnaguard because I had just got off work and was just too tired to walk to the other end of the store and pick one up. But when I went back the next day, every single Magnaguard was gone, but the rest of the figures were untouched.

El Chuxter
09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
How far is Oklahoma from you, BigB? I think I know who's snatching them all up. ;)

bkusna
09-23-2010, 09:27 PM
How far is Oklahoma from you, BigB? I think I know who's snatching them all up. ;)

I just threw up in my mouth.......funny...funnylol

lenco12
09-23-2010, 09:57 PM
The new ROTS figures look really cool. Sidious has a combination of soft goods and plastic that will hopefully look good on the actual figure. The robes look to be more or less the correct colors and not too bunchy - and that face is creepy! Anakin's arm is positioned weirdly, like it got broken off - but I'm excited for a ROTS Anakin with ball-joint elbows and Sith eyes (finally!). Both Grievous and his bodyguard look fantastic! The clone was a wasted opportunity to release the Utapau trooper in a better color scheme - and I wonder what picture they'll put on his card, as the only all-white troopers in the film are on the gunship behind Mace and Obi-Wan.
I'll get a cody to open as I never found him last time; a Grevious, maybe the Emperor depending on how he looks and the Sandtrooper - hope the belt is not yellow this time around

bigbarada
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I did find something interesting with the Sandtrooper cards. Looks like they retouched the photo to make the sky darker and ramp up the overall contrast of the image. Still doesn't fix all of the problem with the card design (like the poorly aligned bubble), but at least the photo doesn't look as washed out. From what I've seen the change is only on the non-foil versions. Here's a comparison pic:

JediTricks
09-23-2010, 10:23 PM
That's why I'm not panicking, yet. I also think I will be able to find them at retail, if I take Qui-Gon's advice and have patience.That got him killed, you know.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2010, 10:54 PM
That got him killed, you know.Ah, but he did get a voice over and reference in the next two films. Totally worth it. :pleased:

Regarding the Sandtrooper card: "Look sir: dusk." And you just know some people will consider them "variants," too. :tired:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I did find something interesting with the Sandtrooper cards. Looks like they retouched the photo to make the sky darker and ramp up the overall contrast of the image. Still doesn't fix all of the problem with the card design (like the poorly aligned bubble), but at least the photo doesn't look as washed out. From what I've seen the change is only on the non-foil versions. Here's a comparison pic:
Very interesting. The new one almost looks like one of those retouched cards from the actual vintage line - I'm thinking Gamorrean Guard and Tessek.

Snowtrooper
09-23-2010, 11:18 PM

I got the first version. I thought it was a rather bland looking cardback when I bought it. Its nice that they at least brightened the colors up a bit.

DarkJedi5
09-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Finally found this wave and got everything I was looking for all in one swoop! Bring on wave 3.

bkusna
09-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Finally found this wave and got everything I was looking for all in one swoop! Bring on wave 3.
You and I might be the only one's here that's ready for wave 3.....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2010, 08:35 PM
There's a difference between ready and impatient.

bkusna
09-24-2010, 08:57 PM
There's a difference between ready and impatient.
So I get lectured on being impatient since I've waited a month for wave 3 to arrive, yet someone just posted they finally got wave 2 bring on wave 3.....and you don't lecture them????? Hmmmm,.......seems highly inconsistent on your behalf

bigbarada
09-25-2010, 03:11 AM

I've been ready for wave 3 long before wave 1 ever showed up in stores.

jedibear
09-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Just picked up a few of these "vintage" carded figures...it's kind of a kick seeing a prequel movie title on these old-style cardbacks.

I couldn't resist...I had to open the magna guard.

And WOW! What a fantastic figure! When the Hasbro Team knocks one out of the park, they really knock it!

It's a rare thing that cloth works at this scale, but coupling this with a much better material for the figure's body and limbs, making the body multiple pieces to add detail and creating really effective articulation and we get a really good figure of these menacing henchmen, er, droids of the Separatist Droid General...

I'm trying to cut back on figures...but Hasbro's making that really hard with great figures like this!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Haven't opened them yet, but I found 5 worthy enough to make it off the pegs and into my car (if only Billy Ocean had been with me, I could've taken the carpool lane home) today: Magnificent Guard, Sweet Life Cody, and Think I'm a Clone Owner Now; with Darth Palpy and Matador Grievous as foil cards. Passed on Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Sand Trooper (already have one).

Until the ROJ figures wave their 3 3/4" scale hands at me, I am sated. :yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-26-2010, 11:16 PM
So I get lectured on being impatient since I've waited a month for wave 3 to arrive, yet someone just posted they finally got wave 2 bring on wave 3.....and you don't lecture them????? Hmmmm,.......seems highly inconsistent on your behalf"Bring on wave 3" doesn't sound impatient. Constantly posting about not being able to find it when I don't know if anyone has found it yet is quite a bit different.

El Chuxter
09-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I was going to report finding this wave at Target today, as I remembered several people commenting that they hadn't seen it there yet, but it looks like the wave has since been seen at Target, so this is a non-issue. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
We now need a Jedi hand wave emoticon, too. :youdontneedtoseeouridentification:

bkusna
09-29-2010, 06:32 PM
"Bring on wave 3" doesn't sound impatient. Constantly posting about not being able to find it when I don't know if anyone has found it yet is quite a bit different.

Bring ithttp://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS19536&mode=retail

JetsAndHeels
09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Jedibear, your pics of the Magnaguard are great!! I was going to pass on it since I got the new CW version, but your pics just convinced me.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Bring ithttp://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS19536&mode=retail
I see that it says that it will be available in November.

bkusna
09-29-2010, 11:35 PM
EE had wave 1 and 2 pre-orders forever when we were all seeing them at the retails, so ALL walmarts and TRUs will have wave 3 in the next two weeks.....well before EE ships them out

jamesbondo07
10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
There was a case of wave 2 at Target today and I noticed the case of figures seemed to be identical to a wave 1 case. Am I blind and not seeing the difference in the cases? The old cases had the wave # and Revision #. The sandtrooper has a symbol of leia and luke in the top right corner of the package. I don't see any other of the vintage figures that have this. Is there a reason for this?

JediTricks
10-01-2010, 06:10 PM
The sandtrooper has a symbol of leia and luke in the top right corner of the package. I don't see any other of the vintage figures that have this. Is there a reason for this?
Yes, it's the only "Star Wars" card in the line so far, the only figure from ANH, the others are from different movies. Since this line is trying to stay as close to the vintage card art as possible, it's using that Luke/Leia Star Wars logo without a movie name inside.

BTW, the change on the Sandtrooper card, kicking up the contrast, I think was done more to make the grimy movie costume on the front look cleaner and whiter like the figure. Just a guess, but it fits well.

DarkArtist
10-02-2010, 06:31 PM
finally spotted and picked up Darth Sidious and Anakin Skywalker today at TRU in East Brunswick.... very nice addtions to the ever growing collection.

El Chuxter
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Finally bought the Grievous today. There wasn't a MagnaGuard there, so I still haven't gotten him.

Gotta take a middle stance. The Grievous is the nicest Grievous by far. The cape alone was worth $8; I didn't expect him to have pockets for saber hilts! However, the arms don't join together particularly well, he really could've used ball-jointed hips for better balance, and he screams for some sturdier plastic.

All in all, I'm glad I got him, though he's certainly no Dengar.

JediTricks
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
At least Grievous doesn't have to worry about the front of his pants falling off. :p

Lady Leia
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
can someone let me know which figures for all waves were released in the foil? Thank you.

bkusna
10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Wave 2
1x Darth Sidious
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x Sandtrooper
1x Commander Cody [FOIL]
1x Darth Vader [FOIL]
1x Boba Fett

This Wave 2 Revision 1 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars action figures (subject to change):
1x Darth Sidious
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi [FOIL]
1x Magnaguard Droid
1x Sandtrooper
1x Clone Trooper [FOIL]
1x Commander Cody
1x Darth Vader
1x Boba Fett [FOIL]
(subject to change)

This Wave 2 Revision 2 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars action figures (subject to change):
1x Darth Sidious [FOIL]
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x Magnaguard Droid
1x Sandtrooper [FOIL]
1x Commander Cody
1x Darth Vader

Lady Leia
10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Wave 2
1x Darth Sidious
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x Sandtrooper
1x Commander Cody [FOIL]
1x Darth Vader [FOIL]
1x Boba Fett

1x Darth Sidious
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi [FOIL]
1x Magnaguard Droid
1x Sandtrooper
1x Clone Trooper [FOIL]
1x Commander Cody
1x Darth Vader
1x Boba Fett [FOIL]
(subject to change)

1x Darth Sidious [FOIL]
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x Magnaguard Droid
1x Sandtrooper [FOIL]
1x Commander Cody
1x Darth Vader

thanks for getting back to me so quickly :grin: what about wave 1?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-04-2010, 01:39 AM
The wave 1 figures with the foil cards shipped with wave 2 - as it says in the post, they include Luke, Han, Vader, and Boba.

Umbra
10-07-2010, 03:36 AM
I'll preface this by saying do to both finance and spacial issues my buying patterns have dwindled to either entirely new characters that catch my eye (I'm guilty of being an EU fan) or when I view a figure as a significant upgrade to older models. I tend to display loose figures, but since I've so little space they are all just crowded standing on shelves at the moment.

That being said, as I keep bumping into the new Anakin and Obi-wan I always stop to ponder if they are worth the upgrade or not, and would love peoples opinions on them.

Right now my top Obi-wan (besides clone armor) is the older Red Leader one, of which I know this is a rehash of. How is the cloth on the new figure, does it look good and not clunky? what else got changed? Would you say its worth the upgrade out of a limited entertainment budget?

As for Anakin, my current one is from the Evolutions pack, how does this new one stand up to it?

thanks in advance for any reviews an opinions you fine folk might share.

bigbarada
10-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm guilty of being an EU fan

BAN! :mad:

Oh wait, I don't have that authority here. So where I can sign up to be a moderator for this site? :D

Rik Duel
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I would say pass on the Obi and Anakin if you're being selective, although the cards are nice. The Obi is 5 years old and the Anakin is kind of weird looking to me, I think he looks like Chucky. (plus it's very scene-specific with the eyes). They're bound to revisit both of them before too long.

jedibear
10-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Jedibear, your pics of the Magnaguard are great!! I was going to pass on it since I got the new CW version, but your pics just convinced me.

Glad you liked them! Yeah, this figure is just superb! I was always disappointed by the ROTS version, with it's soft bendy limbs, limited articulation and hard-shell cape. This new figure improves upon that original version in a big way.

I picked up that CW version a while back too...good figure. I was impressed that it's one of the few CW figures that stands well unassisted and looks great.

Snowtrooper
10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I finally got around to opening up Darth Sidious, and I was surprised how much I liked it. From earlier pics, I thought I'd hate the "fur coat" look of the soft goods. They really arent that bad, though. He stands up well, holds the saber decent, and just all around has a good/evil appearance. Even the maniacal facial expression works well, although he does look rather ridiculous without the hood.

My one major complaint is I wish the hood was a dark black so it would match the coat better. Other than that, I like it pretty well. A-

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I finally got around to opening up Darth Sidious, and I was surprised how much I liked it. From earlier pics, I thought I'd hate the "fur coat" look of the soft goods. They really arent that bad, though. He stands up well, holds the saber decent, and just all around has a good/evil appearance. Even the maniacal facial expression works well, although he does look rather ridiculous without the hood.

My one major complaint is I wish the hood was a dark black so it would match the coat better. Other than that, I like it pretty well. A-
Well, in the film, his hood/main robe and shawl-thing are separate colors, so the figure approximates this pretty well.

Snowtrooper
10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, in the film, his hood/main robe and shawl-thing are separate colors, so the figure approximates this pretty well.

Yeah, you're right. I looked up the picture in the ROTS visual dictionary my wife bought me a few years back and they are different colors. So I guess I retract my complaint.

El Chuxter
11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Holy crap, that Magnaguard is amazing! It's such a vast, vast improvement over the version from just five years ago. I don't even like the movie that much, but I almost want to get six more of him because Grievous and his guards were the only part of the flick I really liked (Grievous' voice aside; I preferred the robotic voice of doom from the micro-series to the "Hungarian Dr. Doom" from ROTS and the current cartoon).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Not sure where else to put this, but Derryl DePriest addressed the glut of white ROTS clones in an interview with Echo Base News (http://echobasenews.com/interview-derryl-depriest.html):

Our next question is about a figure that's been carried forward many times in The Vintage Collection that hasn't been too popular with some fans. It's the Revenge of the Sith plain white Clone Trooper. A lot of people have noticed it reaching the pegs with the helmet already yellowed. Is that something Hasbro's aware of?
"We are very aware of that. We've been aware of this for months now. Actually, the collectors on the fan sites brought this to our attention. The samples that we have back at Hasbro, the early production samples, they weren't like that. So, the fans alerted to us to this, so thank you, and we found the nature of the problem very quickly and have made a change so at some point once that new change starts to hit you'll see that the helmets aren't yellow. So we fixed it. The second thing is we've learned that we might have reached the ceiling on plain white clone troopers, right? We might have found the saturation point, finally, after years of releasing millions of these figures. Fans have kind of said it's enough and we're now turning our attention to different color versions of the clones rather than just the plain white to get some variety."
Hopefully, then, after wave 7 we won't be seeing the plain one again for a very long time.