PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Monthly Hasbro Q&A - June 2nd

JediTricks
06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Is the upcoming Boba Fett at all new? Find out in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for June 2nd, 2010.

Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of June 2nd, 2010

SSG: At Toy Fair, you revealed a Boba Fett figure for the Vintage Collection. There is some confusion about this figure though. The carded sample shows the Evolutions ESB version, while the in-booth display shows the 2004 vintage-style ROTJ figure. In a recent Q&A answer, Boba was left off of your list of Greatest Hits repacks, which would lead one to believe he has been updated in some way similarly to how the Vader figure is not on the Greatest Hits list because it has been changed a little. Has this TVC Boba Fett indeed been changed, and if so, how? If not, then which version will see release?

Hasbro: The sculpt is the same ESB sculpt from the Evolutions pack, but we have improved the deco to match our recent fact-finding visit to the Lucasfilm Archives. While it is not a new tool, we should have really considered it a "Greatest Hits" when we made that list because we don't consider relatively small deco changes alone enough to consider a figure a must-have, all new purchase. Sorry about that. For the Fett-ishists among the fans, we hope that this one is an improvement in detail over previous versions.

SSG: As you now know, the recent Commander Cody figure has left the factory with his belt upside-down, an occurrence which has proved far too common over the last 5 years of ROTS phase 2 trooper armor figures. This is a relatively small thing, but common enough that it warrants asking about. Would it be possible for you to redesign the trooper belt system so that there was some sort of offset notch or directional block which forces assembly on the belts to work only in the proper orientation? That way, the factory workers wouldn't need to see the visual minutiae that defines the belt as right-side-up or not. On a similar note, many later uses of the R4-G9 tooling (such as R2-T0 and the recent battle pack R2-D2) seem to be assembled asymmetrically so the center foot rests at too shallow an angle thus incapable of standing flat, perhaps caused by a very slight mismatch or variance cavity to cavity. Could something be redesigned in the foot to ensure the correct angle and range of travel for the center ankle joint?

Hasbro: We did not know about the Commander Cody issue - thanks for bringing it to our attention. Your suggestions are good to improve both the belt issue as well as the R4-G9 issue. These are small details, but we agree they can be niggling. Thanks for the thoughts and bringing our attention to the Cody issue.

- -

Due to a mixup, the set of questions for our affiliate site were lost. Hasbro is going to try to answer them as soon as possible.

bigbarada
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Eh, I'm not really a fan of that Evolutions Boba Fett. His helmet is just too tiny in proportion to his body.

That's cool that we were able to clue them in on the R4-G9 middle leg problems. Again, I refuse to buy anymore astromechs based on that mold until the issue is corrected or they move on to a more accurate astromech body.

Anyways, this is a question from Sandtroopers.com and I get a little annoyed when they are worded in such a disrespectful way. As if people forget just what a big favor Hasbro is doing for us fans by even having these Q&As;

2) You claim that the comic packs were canceled due to lack of sales. Did you ever think that creating characters from lackluster stories told during the silly Marvel Comics days, and using inferior molds of characters and painting them in stupid day glow colors to match the printing done back then had ANYTHING to do with that? The ONLY comic packs that I've ever seen "pegwarming" have been the packs based on the Marvel Comics stories. ANY pack that contained newly sculpted figures based on ANYTHING that Dark Horse released would FLY off the shelves in my area. Perhaps if you stuck with the more current Dark Horse style stories and newly sculpted figures the line would have sold better. I'd really like to see the comic packs return, they were a great way to get some figures out of the normal realm, and everybody knows that we can always use those types of characters.

Besides, it's just more of that ridiculous, "these figures are pegwarming where I live, so that MUST be what it's like in the rest of the country and Hasbro is just a bunch of liars!" :rolleyes: Seriously, though, when are people going to realize that what's happening within the 100 miles radius around their house is not necessarily indicative of national sales trends?

Plus, sales numbers are only a part of the story. What's just as important is production numbers. If Hasbro makes 100,000 Owen Lars figures and 500,000 Darth Maul figures, then they completely sell out on Owen Lars and sell 300,000 Darth Mauls, leaving 200,000 pegwarming Sith Lords across the country. They've still made 3 times more money on that Darth Maul figure in comparison to the Owen.

AmanaMatt
06-03-2010, 09:59 AM
The Sandtroopers.com question was embarassing to read......I am not a fan of that site as they come across like a bunch of holier-than-thou types......I seriously hope they get removed off the Q&A in the future......we dont need people like that representing 'fans'

I propose a new rule to the questions from this site: 500 words or less :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
There were a few other questions like the one from Sandtroopers. They're whiny and disrespectful and show us all in a bad light; thankfully, the questions from this site are nothing like that.

It's good to have confirmation on the Boba issue, but now I'll have to see side-by-side comparison shots to see whether I want the new one or not. I already have the Evolutions one and the vibrant Droid Factory repaint, so I dunno about a third one if it's only slightly different.

I don't know HOW they couldn't have known about the Cody thing - the most obvious note being that the lightsaber plugs into the opposite side, and the colors are mismatched, meaning something is clearly off. Oh well.

Jedi Insider's Q&A threw the recent Clone Wars rumor lists into doubt:

JI: Now that the season 2 finale for the Clone Wars animated series has come and gone, can you tell us if a new Boba Fett figure for Clone Wars will be released soon?

Hasbro: A new Clone Wars Boba Fett figure is in the works. However, it will be available only in a very special pack later this Fall…stay tuned for info that will be released at Celebration V.

Another site confirmed Shaak Ti, who was also on the lists. I wonder if Boba will be coming with the Slave I? I have to think so, unless they're doing some sort of bounty hunter battle pack; there was also the rumor of those two-packs with Anakin, Grievous, and Boba mentioned, but I have no idea what those could entail.

Darth Metalmute
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
For it to be very special, I think it would have to be with Slave 1. Unless they recreate the Executor scene with clone wars figures. Young Boba, Young Boosk, IG-86, 3-Lom, and Zuckuss in diapers.

JediTricks
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Eh, I'm not really a fan of that Evolutions Boba Fett. His helmet is just too tiny in proportion to his body.Actually, it's not. Check out these pics:
esb - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain.jpg
rotj - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain2.jpg
You can see that the helmet on the real deal isn't as wide as the collar plate of the armor, I have both VOTC and Evo Fett on my desk right now (can't decide which I like better) and the helmet width is the same. If anything, my complaint about the Evo figure is that the helmet is too tall, doesn't look right. I don't like the stretched proportions if the visor, and I think the length takes away from the flare as it tapers down. (My other issues with the Evo are that it seems a little tall for Boba, and the head can't dip down at all despite that being a famous Boba pose.)

That's cool that we were able to clue them in on the R4-G9 middle leg problems. Again, I refuse to buy anymore astromechs based on that mold until the issue is corrected or they move on to a more accurate astromech body.They need to move on, the R4-G9 was a good mold for its time, but the panels are sunken in, the dome has some proportional issues, it's too tall, and it's missing the "shoulder" spacers. But the reality is they will keep using it, so they better fix this situation.

Anyways, this is a question from Sandtroopers.com and I get a little annoyed when they are worded in such a disrespectful way. As if people forget just what a big favor Hasbro is doing for us fans by even having these Q&As;I read that about 20 mins ago and felt the same way. There was another site that had a different question that seemed pretty disrespectful as well. I don't get that sentiment, as if Hasbro is somehow doing us wrong by trying to satisfy as many of us as they can.

The Sandtroopers.com question was embarassing to read......I am not a fan of that site as they come across like a bunch of holier-than-thou types......I seriously hope they get removed off the Q&A in the future......we dont need people like that representing 'fans'

I propose a new rule to the questions from this site: 500 words or less :thumbsup:Well, they do represent a subset of fans. I guess Hasbro should know that some fans are perpetually annoyed that they aren't getting things going their way. "More Marvel!" "Less Marvel!" If they don't hear everybody's opinion, they won't know which way to look, how to balance out that sort of thing next time.

Also, our questions are often the longest and run on the large side around 250 words.

I don't know HOW they couldn't have known about the Cody thing - the most obvious note being that the lightsaber plugs into the opposite side, and the colors are mismatched, meaning something is clearly off. Oh well.Because it's a belt, they are small and looks alright at first glance.

Jedi Insider's Q&A threw the recent Clone Wars rumor lists into doubt:You think that's bad? TNI decided to ask a specific confirmation on a RS rumor list of 6 figures, Hasbro shot down 5.

Another site confirmed Shaak Ti, who was also on the lists. I wonder if Boba will be coming with the Slave I? I have to think so, unless they're doing some sort of bounty hunter battle pack; there was also the rumor of those two-packs with Anakin, Grievous, and Boba mentioned, but I have no idea what those could entail. My guess is Boba will be coming with Slave I, just because if it were in a Slave I-timed battle pack, it would still be just a battle pack and not "special".

Darth Metalmute
06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
You think that's bad? TNI decided to ask a specific confirmation on a RS rumor list of 6 figures, Hasbro shot down 5.

And they have already released a picture of the Emperor, so guess which five are not coming.

Looks like the Rebel Transport is a no-go ever. I don't know why they left a sliver of hope for the other two.

Darth Jax
06-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Hasbro: A new Clone Wars Boba Fett figure is in the works. However, it will be available only in a very special pack later this Fall…stay tuned for info that will be released at Celebration V.

it'll be father's day 2-pack part dos with jango & boba and be completely underwhelming

Devo
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
They said a definitive No to updating the "rebel troop transport". Is that a mistaken referance to the Rebel Transport starship, or the fictionalised troop carrier thing that was in the vintage line? And if its the latter does that mean they will never make the Echo Base troop carrier? I really hope not..and I don't see how that is any more 'obscure' than the troop carrier in the Scramble on Yavin set.

DarkJedi5
06-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Disappointing but not entirely surprising news from Toyarc.com:

Q) The footage from Toy Fair had an awesome Vader funeral pyre set with Luke and a torch. Was this a custom just made for display at Toy Fair, or is it an actual battle pack or item for 2010?

A) This was shown at Comic Con 2009, and was a concept figure set that we had been working on. For the set to be produced, we have to find a retail partner who would be willing to take a chance on it as an exclusive, but so far, this has not materialized and most retailers have passed. While the idea is not dead, it's not looking good at this point that it will ever come out.

El Chuxter
06-04-2010, 01:58 AM
That just proves there are some dumb retailers. Especially Target, willing to take a chance on a third fricking wave of those lousy two-packs, but not touch something as golden as this.

ESBbobafett
06-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Actually, it's not. Check out these pics:
esb - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain.jpg
rotj - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain2.jpg
You can see that the helmet on the real deal isn't as wide as the collar plate of the armor, I have both VOTC and Evo Fett on my desk right now (can't decide which I like better) and the helmet width is the same. If anything, my complaint about the Evo figure is that the helmet is too tall, doesn't look right. I don't like the stretched proportions if the visor, and I think the length takes away from the flare as it tapers down. (My other issues with the Evo are that it seems a little tall for Boba, and the head can't dip down at all despite that being a famous Boba pose.)

I really think the Evo helmet is thin, and that in most fanatic fan's minds is the real and biggest eyesore of a problem with this figure. I've even customized and kitbash the 300th helmet which was dremmelled and placed on the Evo figure with some VOTC armour... I've put my custom alongside the BD36 rehash of the Evo figure, and the difference is obvious. In summary, the 300th helmet and sculpt was brilliant except the articulation let it down, the VOTC helmet was also good. Concerning the height issue, on the contrary, that was what is good about the figure is that Boba is at correct height, until now he seemed on the short side. With the calculations, I constantly compare the Evo height with the legacy Vaders and he comes right under Vader's nose like in the Bespin, etc pictures and that's around 6 feet.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/100_06062.jpg

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2010, 03:42 PM
The newest Q&A voting thread is locked . . . I assume that's a mistake, no?

Also, Chux, it's still not 100% confirmed that Target will be having a second wave of Geonosis two-packs (though I think it's looking that way). They previously had two waves of Order 66 packs, which were the ones with the Jedi and clones, so the probable upcoming Geonosis sets will be the second wave of those two-packs, but Target's fourth wave of two-packs overall. Anyway, I do have to imagine that, even if they weren't the hottest sellers ever, the idea of a Jedi packed with either a clone or an enemy has to be more enticing to the wider audience, and particularly kids, than a set of Luke roasting his father . . . I definitely want the set, but I can see how retailers would feel it's a bit morbid.

JediTricks
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
The list of questions from other sites has been added:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2676

The newest Q&A voting thread is locked . . . I assume that's a mistake, no?System error, actually. It re-closed itself even.

JediTricks
06-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Stuff interesting from the Q&As:

One site asked about the holes in the front of the Republic Fighter Tank, Hasbro said they considered putting a mini-rig in there. I believe they are missile launching tubes in the games, but Hasbro's guess of air intake is good too.

That Crimson Empire Nom Anor figure is getting released in the main line. I think it's a blah figure because of the source material, but oh well.

Hasbro says the first clone to get ball-jointed hips was the Gelagrub clone, that's not accurate, there was the AT-TE Gunner from the ROTS line.

I didn't realize ICMG's outfit could be used for Porkins. I bet they end up doing it within 18 months, though they sound like further away on it.

The pic of the new Hoth Leia has huge hips and a big crotch piece. I think we may have to ask about this, I've noticed it more and more on female figures lately. http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=12854

Hasbro doesn't think Han in Carbonite would be appealing enough as a figure by itself. I remember when I was a kid, after seeing ROTJ where Han is thawed, I froze and unfroze tons of figures in water, thus ruining their joints and paint. I froze so many figures it became a family cliche. :p As a kid, that would have blown my mind, I think they need to give it a shot.

Lucasfilm won't let Hasbro do a white Vader's TIE Fighter. Personally, I think that's the right call, the vehicle was gray in the film, this idea that TIEs are white is totally bizarre to me.

bigbarada
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Lucasfilm won't let Hasbro do a white Vader's TIE Fighter. Personally, I think that's the right call, the vehicle was gray in the film, this idea that TIEs are white is totally bizarre to me.

I read that question and it makes sense to me. The TIE Fighters in ANH were clearly grey, not white, and then the color changed to blue for ESB and ROTJ. Although I found it funny that Hasbro seems to think that Vader's TIE Fighter was in all three films. :D

I think the white TIE Fighter idea is more of an homage to the first Kenner toy than anything else. Kind of like the requests for a new Blue Snaggletooth that pop up every now and then.

Anyways, I was hoping that we would get some kind of hint on whether Hasbro would consider completely remaking Vader's TIE Fighter. Unfortunately, they seem to be perfectly content with the current mold. :(

El Chuxter
06-07-2010, 02:14 AM
There should be some spectacular news soon on the fate of the (formerly) scuttled 2010 Comic Packs. Stay tuned!
Hmmmm..... :)

One of the best things about having multiple lines of action figures on the same scale is the possibility for crossover interaction. If you had to include one G.I. Joe figure and one Marvel figure to repack and market in the Star Wars 3.75” line, what figures would they be and why?
:confused:

A lot of questions about the Shadow Stormtroopers, too, this time around.

Darth Metalmute
06-07-2010, 09:00 AM
The pic of the new Hoth Leia has huge hips and a big crotch piece. I think we may have to ask about this, I've noticed it more and more on female figures lately. http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=12854

The outfit looks like Hoth Leia, but she looks more like the Leia from The Black Fleet Crisis. After she had 3 kids.

El Chuxter
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
So, they make long-requested female figures and make them look like 1983 figures from the torso down, then complain that no one buys the female figures?

DarkJedi5
06-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Are we going to get the CS questions this round or have to wait till next time? I know another site didn't get their stuff answered and is having to wait.

JediTricks
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
And they have already released a picture of the Emperor, so guess which five are not coming.

Looks like the Rebel Transport is a no-go ever. I don't know why they left a sliver of hope for the other two.I don't believe they'd quantify that as the Emperor, so it's still a toss-up, but that rumor list is shot to hell none the less.

They said a definitive No to updating the "rebel troop transport". Is that a mistaken referance to the Rebel Transport starship, or the fictionalised troop carrier thing that was in the vintage line? And if its the latter does that mean they will never make the Echo Base troop carrier? I really hope not..and I don't see how that is any more 'obscure' than the troop carrier in the Scramble on Yavin set.
Highly doubtful, the question asked about redoing old Kenner playsets for ESB, and the Rebel Transport starship was the only one that could come close to matching. Hasbro said no because it's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smFF-X09Kks
(even that commercial couldn't make it look fun :p)
The Imperial Troop Transport was neither a playset nor in ESB.

That just proves there are some dumb retailers. Especially Target, willing to take a chance on a third fricking wave of those lousy two-packs, but not touch something as golden as this.Not really. Those 2-packs are cheaper so less risk, they're action-themed so they have kid-factor, and they aren't a toy of a guy burning another guy to death. I bet we'll see the pyre set some day, but likely the 30th ROTJ anniversary at CVI or SDCC.

I really think the Evo helmet is thin, and that in most fanatic fan's minds is the real and biggest eyesore of a problem with this figure. I've even customized and kitbash the 300th helmet which was dremmelled and placed on the Evo figure with some VOTC armour... I've put my custom alongside the BD36 rehash of the Evo figure, and the difference is obvious. In summary, the 300th helmet and sculpt was brilliant except the articulation let it down, the VOTC helmet was also good. Concerning the height issue, on the contrary, that was what is good about the figure is that Boba is at correct height, until now he seemed on the short side. With the calculations, I constantly compare the Evo height with the legacy Vaders and he comes right under Vader's nose like in the Bespin, etc pictures and that's around 6 feet.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/100_06062.jpgInteresting. I just measured the 2 helmets, there's a difference of 1.58mm, scaled up that's 28.44mm, or 1.12" at 1:18 scale, pretty slim difference. And keep in mind, that helmet is flexible, so on a different head it could be a little wider. The helmet's sculpt is just wonky though, the visor is all wrong, the nose deforms the front, the crown slopes too shallowly. Bottom line, I'm sticking by my claim that the helmet's problem is the sculpt, not the width.

I can give you that height thing. I always thought Billy Dee was 5' 8" or so, and judged Fett against his height, but he's actually 6' so I guess Fett is around that too. Of course, the prequels wreck that by making him Temuera Morrison, who is just 5' 7", but we can ignore them.

I read that question and it makes sense to me. The TIE Fighters in ANH were clearly grey, not white, and then the color changed to blue for ESB and ROTJ. Although I found it funny that Hasbro seems to think that Vader's TIE Fighter was in all three films. :D

I think the white TIE Fighter idea is more of an homage to the first Kenner toy than anything else. Kind of like the requests for a new Blue Snaggletooth that pop up every now and then.

Anyways, I was hoping that we would get some kind of hint on whether Hasbro would consider completely remaking Vader's TIE Fighter. Unfortunately, they seem to be perfectly content with the current mold. :(Yeah, good catch on the plural movieS. :p

We should do a question about updating that rather underwhelming mold, but I suspect they are satisfied with it.

One of the best things about having multiple lines of action figures on the same scale is the possibility for crossover interaction. If you had to include one G.I. Joe figure and one Marvel figure to repack and market in the Star Wars 3.75” line, what figures would they be and why?
:confused:Anything from CreatureCantina is meant in a somewhat joking style, they are a humor SW site.

A lot of questions about the Shadow Stormtroopers, too, this time around.Yeah, I'm glad we weren't among them. 1/10th of the sites involved asked about that (30 sites, 3 sites asked).

The outfit looks like Hoth Leia, but she looks more like the Leia from The Black Fleet Crisis. After she had 3 kids.Ouch! Meeeow! ;) The problem is that Leia is a very small character but the internal pegs need to be a specific thickness to pass Hasbro safety regs, so the crotch piece has to be big enough to accommodate that. Of course, they have done better work in the past and even changing the torso/crotch/waist design could have helped this, so I do want to call them on it.

So, they make long-requested female figures and make them look like 1983 figures from the torso down, then complain that no one buys the female figures?More like 1998:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potf2/POTF2leiahothnocoatfr.jpg

'83 looked better than that:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/vintage/vintleiaponchocomp1.jpg

Even '80 Hoth looked better:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/vintage/vintleiahothfr.jpg

Are we going to get the CS questions this round or have to wait till next time? I know another site didn't get their stuff answered and is having to wait.Unknown. Hasbro said they'd TRY to get the missing questions answered ASAP, but sometimes they just hold off until the next round and toss them in the pile. BTW, for reference, here are the lost questions:

1) Mace Windu has been represented in action figure form for 12 years now, and a large portion of those figures were released with some unique, non-standard aspect. Mace has been the first "sneak peek" in the modern line and was a mail-away, the first hard-shell "choco" robe, AOTC had a deluxe before basic which had a smiling face and a second figure, AOTC basic had the screaming face, 2003 AOTC basic had the "ultimate lightsaber control" stick gimmick, ROTS had the Force Lightning throw-off gimmick, and now the Clone Wars version with removable armor and saber-swinging waist. While there have been a few normal Mace figures, and even a super-articulated one finally, it seems as if Mace Windu has been tapped by Hasbro to be the sculpting and gimmick guinea pig. Is this pattern intentional, do you think he can't sell without these sorts of things, is it just happenstance, or does someone there subliminally not realize they keep picking Mace to be the test guy?
2) Why is it that modern realistic R2-D2 figures are oversized? Our math says that the modern R2 stands a whole centimeter too tall, which is a scaled visual difference of 7 inches. That's a pretty significant amount of extra height. The Clone Wars R2 is roughly the right height, as is the classic Kenner Artoo, while the build-a-droid astromech body splits the difference between the extremes. But the regular modern astromechs are all too tall. Why is this, and will this be addressed on the upcoming R2 redesign?

Ugh, I hadn't realized until now that I put 2 design questions together for 1 site. That's usually the sort of thing I try to avoid.

El Chuxter
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Partly I was referring to Hasbro, I think, misunderstanding the question. I thought of it as intended to be along the lines of "if you painted a Rise of Cobra Viper a different color, handed him a lightsaber, and called him ______."

JediTricks
06-08-2010, 09:50 PM
OIC

limit 10

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2010, 01:55 AM
I looked closer at Willrow today and, sure enough, his arms and legs indeed look like they were sculpted to be used in X-wing pilot gear, but they're also accurate to the on-screen costume. They'll need to add gloves and an ammo thing around his boot. Porkins still seems like he needs to be fatter, though, and it should be interesting if they choose to sculpt a separate white vest thing to slip on over that big ol' gut. I'm not entirely sure we need another Porkins, but having him on a vintage card would be a hoot(kins, William).